• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV: March quarterly update (environment art)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23788294/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-march-2022

The World of Sanctuary

Matt McDaid: “I’m excited to talk about the Open World of Diablo IV! We have 5 captivating zones to explore. Each region is fraught with dangers of their own kind. Many routes, and hidden corners to uncover. How you chose to make your way through this vast world is up to you. The Art and Design teams have constructed a contiguous world where you can roam from coast to coast, or high up into the glacial ridges. For the Environment Art team, we want to ensure each handcrafted location is distinct and immersive. Looking through the Diablo IV lens that Chris alluded to earlier, the Environment Art, Interactives, and Lighting teams strive to hit the tone that supports the ’return to darkness’ pillar.

Scosglen Coast

Dungeons of Sanctuary

Brian Fletcher: Dungeons are still that randomized content that you know and love from previous Diablo titles. However, we added new and exciting features that allow us to make even more dungeons across the world of Sanctuary than ever before. In order to support over 150+ dungeons, we’ve had to shift the way we make environment art so that it's flexible enough to be used in multiple locations and not just in a single dungeon. We break it all down into what we call tile-sets. We would like to share with you a handful of our tile-sets, and a few ways we can mix and match them with props, interactives, and lighting to create dungeons that are varied, handcrafted and yet procedurally created. It takes a lot of hard work from many teams to make a Dungeon, and we are proud to show you what we have been working on.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Looking good, will wait a month or two after release to check how they are going to implement GAAS systems.

Slow opening gates and slow ladder climbing need to go. May be fun for the first couple of hors, but will be annoying when doing end game grinds.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure about it, not many of those videos catch my eye. Flooded Dept looks boring with ladders and stuff, unnecessary things to waste time imo.
Wretched Caves looks nice for me at least.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It looks spectacular.

the Studio needs to vindicate itself but it seems that they are on the right track, at least visually.

Fredrik

Looks good for pre-alpha.

But why are they showing this much this early? Are they looking for gamer feedback?
In that case, I like the ladder animation, sync perfectly in each step, nice. I like the sand pouring off the scenery too in one video. The pop out when going under something is super distracting though, needs a fade out or transparency effect. Destructable objects is nice, I want more. Should have some densely vegetated areas too. And water with ripple physics is a must. Foggy area with fog physics would be cool.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks good, but it still blows my mind how long it's taking them to make this game. Diablo 3 came out a decade ago.

This looks like it'll probably be a few more years.

And just as a reminder, this was announced for PS4 and XBO, when they announced it they didn't even mention the next gen systems then lol.

So, buckle up for a long-ass cross gen period fellers.

This looks like it'll probably be a few more years.

And just as a reminder, this was announced for PS4 and XBO, when they announced it they didn't even mention the next gen systems then lol.

So, buckle up for a long-ass cross gen period fellers.
Game dev is fucked. I grew up at a time where sequels took like two years. Now we're talking a decade or more (see GTA as another example). At this rate I might literally die before playing Diablo 6.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Looks good, but it still blows my mind how long it's taking them to make this game. Diablo 3 came out a decade ago.

That sounds on par, from diablo 2 to 3 it was a 12 year wait :)

Now that I've taken my time to watch these I have to say I am impressed. I just hope Microactiblizzard doesn't get to greedy and fucky with the inevitable cascade of microtransactions.

Ellery

Super happy with what I am seeing there. Environments, graphics etc. look great. Exactly where I'd like to spend my time in an hack and slay / action roleplay game.

Sadly it is taking them a long time, but that is okay as long as the quality is where I'd expect a Blizzard Diablo game to be (previous 10 years were not great. This looks much more like what I want to see from Blizzard).
And don't announce the release date to early please. We don't want to get our hopes up and face multiple delays.
Take your time. Announce release date when you are certain you can make (close to gold).
Day1.

Haggard

Banned
Only ~2 more years until we`ll be able to judge if blizzard can actually still produce good games.
I´m not expecting anything from that studio anymore, though.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I was 15 and in heaven with D1 on my Gateway PC that cost me $2500 since I bought it on credit. Now age 40 and still waiting for the 4th game. Lel. I cri erytiem

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Only ~2 more years until we`ll be able to judge if blizzard can actually still produce good games.
I´m not expecting anything from that studio anymore, though.

I mean they originally planned for 2021 release. I could see it releasing this year/early 2023.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
excited for this :D i have only played diablo 3. i hope i can get some time to play D2 before this comes out but it's unlikely.

MikeM

hopefully its more like D2. Really enjoying my time with D2R so if D4 is like it i’ll be all over it day one.

Haggard

Banned
I mean they originally planned for 2021 release. I could see it releasing this year/early 2023.
(fiscal year) 2022 is officially out of the question and they've lost several leading employees of the project in the meantime. Mid 2023 is probably the earliest possible date if nothing changes drastically.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It looks really good. It was already shown in previous videos but they seem to listen to the feedback and they ditched the cartoon look. I hope now that the hits/spells will have a lot more punch than what we have seen so far
Nice preview of the OST too.

Top Bottom