• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV - Massive Update - New Videos

Diablo IV Quarterly Update for end of 2021 is here - got an official email from their Diablo PR Team over at Blizzard - A TON of Stuff here such as talking about itemization system, new paragon revamped system, and visual updates - too much to discuss/show in the thread , but you can read everything here.

A load of improvements to combat animations, blood, gore skills and just overall gameplay feel. This is looking fucking tight. Holy shit.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Seems like they're regularly showing how development is going. I can see this coming out in 2023.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try playing D2R first then. If i like it i'll move on to the others.
Yeah take the advice. I played all of them in order but Diablo 2 is regarded as the best Diablo and Diablo 2 Resurrected is very well done.

Diablo 3 is good but not as dark and gritty and lost a bit of the horror and atmosphere but gameplay wise its a superior game. However, Diablo 2 is the real DNA.

Diablo 4 is going to be basically Diablo 2 but on Crack and steroids and modern with the great gameplay of Diablo 3 and the amazing horror and atmosphere of 1 and 2 put into a single package on a new engine and game systems.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ok some of this footage is better than what i saw early in the day, especially the combat improvement one with the barbarian, yeah i think now it looks adeguate.

Last edited:

Inviusx

They're pulling in systems from both D2 and D3 which seems like a good move. +skill affixes on items is a welcome feature from D2 and Essences are essentially Kanai's Cube from D3 which was also a good system albeit the new system seems a bit more nuanced.

Only thing they didn't sell me on was the Paragon Board. It seemed needlessly complicated. The Paragon system from D3 was bare bones but this new system has maybe gone too far in the other direction.

Fuz

Banned
Mmmm looks decent, actually.

But I'm sure they fuck it up with forced online and business model bullshit.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
pre-alpha...
Alpha, beta , pre Alpha etc. lost any meaning unfortunately.

One day publishers decided that it would be way cool to call demo versions "public betas", but when people complained about quality of such "demos" publishers started to call such demos/trailer videos Alpha versions to shut such people up with "duh, it's pre Alpha duh"

So now we see such disclaimers regardless of how close/faraway the actual release date is.

I do believe that this is an alpha version tho. Game looks very early. In fact, there's no game yet. But 2025 looks way too pessimistic. I mean it's ain't no AAA Skyrim/GTA level project assets wise.

Wonko_C

Never played a Diablo game. Main reason was i grew up with strict religious parents and they didn't want it in their house.

Now that im an adult, i wanna give it a try. I'll probably start with this one.
I dabbled once into Diablo 1 and I loved the town music, but never got far. I finally played through the whole thing a couple months ago. If you're going to do the same, beware though, read a guide on how to build your character and what to spend money on, or you'll find yourself unable to progress beyond a certain point.

Then after all these years and reading about the games I learned that "Diablo" isn't like, the actual Devil LOL. The game isn't even set on Earth.

BlackM1st

Banned
Tired of this argument, since D3.
Separate solo and multi.

Done.
Solo only , internet independent Diablo is ain't coming back.

Do you even remember the last time you WEREN'T online?

I'm all digital since PS3 gen and so far so good.

If you're worried about Blizz keeping servers alive 10-15 years later, yeah, it's a viable concern, but... But how many people would care about D4 in 10-15 years? I hope by that time we will have D5 lol

Saber

Gold Member
Still very unsure of this. Feel like a lot of videos about info I don't give a shit about(I mean, a video just for showing light effects LOL).

The wizard skill show case looks nice though.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Mmmm looks decent, actually.

But I'm sure they fuck it up with forced online and business model bullshit.
It's already confirmed to be online only. Diablo 4 is basically an MMO with a shared world.

The business model remains a mystery and I share your concern about that. It will definitely have loads of cosmetics to purchase, probably some form of a battle pass system and NFTs seem highly likely. Please be excited.

daveonezero

Banned
so much of what makes these games good is how well the skills, animation, sound, progression and just plain feels matter.

it looks good but unknown if it will feel as good as the top of the genre.
D3 was odd for me. The small things like weapons not actually being used or mattering in attack animations was a big bummer. Other times it felt real good but also a bit limited.

Last edited:
I kind of feel like there is a mismatch between the dark evil looking environments and the cartoony exaggerated character animations.
It’s like the game has an identity crisis..

Tg89

u should play D2R first. Because once you played the new ones the old one (1,2) feel so slow.
I’d honestly just play D2R and if you like it just keep playing it. D2 is an absolute classic and D3 kinda sucks. In a genre where games are basically infinitely replayable there’s no reason to move on to an inferior product.D4 is still up in the air obviously, but modern Blizzard hasn’t shown anything to suggest they can make a game anywhere near the quality of D2.

It's already confirmed to be online only. Diablo 4 is basically an MMO with a shared world.

The business model remains a mystery and I share your concern about that. It will definitely have loads of cosmetics to purchase, probably some form of a battle pass system and NFTs seem highly likely. Please be excited.
Paid expansions have been confirmed and cosmetics as of now. No battle pass or NFTs so far.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Solo only , internet independent Diablo is ain't coming back.

Do you even remember the last time you WEREN'T online?

I'm all digital since PS3 gen and so far so good.

If you're worried about Blizz keeping servers alive 10-15 years later, yeah, it's a viable concern, but... But how many people would care about D4 in 10-15 years? I hope by that time we will have D5 lol

This has got to be some of the most regressive, ass-backwards logic I have seen yet.

I am offline more often than not. The vast majority of my games library doesn't require internet or check-ins as there is literally no reason for it. People *still* go out of their way to play the original two Diablo games. A great game is a great game and should not be immediately tossed aside as soon as the "next entry" releases. This mindset of disposability has ruined modern AAA gaming.

Looks good, but not great. This game isn't coming out until late 2023 or so. Why not drop cross-gen support and go all-in with graphics? Lighting for example could be much better. Feels like D2R has better lighting.

Diablo 3 console version was a delight to play with a controller, the roll evade button alone was a big difference with the pc version.

That evade is useless when you start using end game builds. D3 was clearly designed for KBM. A number of skills dont behave the same way with a controller and as a result there are builds on PC that are worse or just dont even work on console.

It will come out when I am retired with these timelines...

im so teen wolf GIF

GymWolf

That evade is useless when you start using end game builds. D3 was clearly designed for KBM. A number of skills dont behave the same way with a controller and as a result there are builds on PC that are worse or just dont even work on console.
Well lucky for me i don't really about the endgame in these type of games, i just like to beat the campaign with a couple of characters and that's it.

But you are probably right.

BlackM1st

Banned
Well lucky for me i don't really about the endgame in these type of games
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

lol to each his own I guess haha

On one end of the spectrum people are angry about me saying that 10 to 15 years is enough to enjoy 1 game, on another end people are happy with just a 8 hours campaign 😄

GymWolf

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

lol to each his own I guess haha

On one end of the spectrum people are angry about me saying that 10 to 15 years is enough to enjoy 1 game, on another end people are happy with just a 8 hours campaign 😄
Yeah i know that these games are all about endgame but i just don't care, i barely play the genre and only if there is complete controller support.

And tbh, maybe i'm slow but they are never 8 hours short to me, like grim dawn was surely not 8 hours for example, same for diablo 3.
And i usually use multiple characters so i end with close to 40-50 hours of playtime.

Top Bottom