• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like world tier two (although advertised as "hard mode") feels like "normal mode", and 1 is "easy mode". If that makes sense.

Getting my butt kicked in tier 2, but I'm enjoying the challenge. This definitely feels better than the demo, which was so easy it was almost boring. I'm finding that I really have to pay attention to my skill unlocks, and actually use my chosen skills strategically in order to win. Some boss fights are downright brutal. Buffs from clearing dungeons actually matter.

Really digging this game. I wish I could have stayed home from work today - and the rest of the week, actually - to play it.

So i have to do all of them?

I fear to get annoyed before even completing the game this way...
Definitely do enough for extra potions then I'd say wait for when you complete the campaign because there will be the whispering tree that will give you a currency once completing dungeons in exchange of good XP and a loot box.

You get also get renown exploring the map, doing sidequests, strongholds etc.. definitely do the strongholds it's 100 renown points

Last edited:

GymWolf

pope-francis-amen.gif

Mossybrew

This definitely feels better than the demo, which was so easy it was almost boring. I'm finding that I really have to pay attention to my skill unlocks, and actually use my chosen skills strategically in order to win. Some boss fights are downright brutal.
Yeah it's been an adjustment for sure, but this does feel more fun & engaging than just steamrolling everything immediately.

cormack12

Gold Member
I only intentionally unlocked the 9 healing pots then went about my business of doing other things and the renown is climbing on its own but the extra pots are a must and unlocks then for any future character

I've noticed some tiers are locked until wt3, if you grind out everything, does it track the renown and just unlock automatically when you Advance to wt3 in that instance?

* Fastest selling based on more units sold on all platforms before launch (through June 5, 2023).

Buuut buuut preorders and early access is baaaaaad 😭 /s

Draugoth

Gold Member
I have no problem with microtransactions, but at least in my case, I would place it in a range of 1-2 dollars for individual complete skins, and at 5$ it should be a fucking bundle.

Those prices are disgusting.

I gree, at that price point, it's no longer Microtransactions btw.

the Legendary drop rate on WT3 is kinda ridiculous. 3+ legendaries per dungeon, easily, should have switched sooner.

Dont let Blizzard know about it.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Game is very good, but the shine is starting to wear off.

The level scaling is tedious. I fully understand why it’s in place, but it’s still tedious.

Ogbert

Level scaling is irrelevant, it's all about item power.
I know.

But it makes levelling a sincere chore and, even if it tied to item power, you’ll just end up increasing the WT to get item improvements, which again negates the item power advantage.

As I say, I understand why it’s there, but the game is much, *much* more of an MMO than I was hoping for.

Mikado

So I hit 50 but still finding items that are level 42-45?
If you haven't already. you need to get to WT3 before the 50+ & `Sacred` items start to drop.
In the low 50's even at WT3 there will still be Salvage/Vendor fodder that drops in the mid to high 40's.

Freeman76

If you haven't already. you need to get to WT3 before the 50+ & `Sacred` items start to drop.
In the low 50's even at WT3 there will still be Salvage/Vendor fodder that drops in the mid to high 40's.
Ive been in WT1 all the way through, im not a great player and struggle with Sorceror above WT1. Havent gotten many decent drops so my gear kinda sucks. Ive gone with a pure fire build and all the legendaries that have dropped are either lightning or ice affixes, literally havent found any that support my build 🤣🤣

I know.

But it makes levelling a sincere chore and, even if it tied to item power, you’ll just end up increasing the WT to get item improvements, which again negates the item power advantage.

As I say, I understand why it’s there, but the game is much, *much* more of an MMO than I was hoping for.
It is indeed more like a MMO for character development in the endgame. Basically like wow and item power to reach a higher tier.

is just about every build viable for world tier 1 and then I just move into harder after the campaign for mixmaxing I take it?
Exactly. You will find the exact same gear in w1 and w2, you only gain a exp and gold bonus. You can play w2 for campaign if you want a tougher gameplay, most say it's not worth it and just do the w3 challenge once you've done the campaign and got your legendary aspects and gear for it

Mikado

Ive been in WT1 all the way through, im not a great player and struggle with Sorceror above WT1. Havent gotten many decent drops so my gear kinda sucks. Ive gone with a pure fire build and all the legendaries that have dropped are either lightning or ice affixes, literally havent found any that support my build 🤣🤣

Note that you can also upgrade your gear at the BS. This provides an effective numerical power boost equivalent to easily 5 or more Raw Item Levels.

So I played through the campaign in WT2 and it was more or less okay but I was getting pretty hard-blocked at the WT3 access dungeon, specifically the final boss. I thought it was supposed to be a skill check as the boss spams mechanics everywhere but it turns out it's actually a gear/build check - with correct DPS/defence he dies quickly enough that the mechanics are much less of an issue because the fight doesn't last long enough to even run out of potions to Brute Force it.

I readjusted my build a bit - Got rid of all but the minimum points on my Generator/Builder/Basic, switched to a better Single Target Core skill and dropped the Ultimate which wasn't very useful for bossing anyway. Also grabbed a legendary with an affix that worked well with my new Core skill - even though it was kinda lowish level, the utility provided by the affix was important. Went much better then.

Bry0

Level scaling is irrelevant, it's all about item power.
When I attempted the level 70 capstone at level 53 I was getting almost one shotted but was still killing fairly easily. Is there some kind of resistance penalty or something for big level gaps? I guess I keep thinking of world tiers like torment/difficulty levels when it’s really just more leveling.

Last edited:

manfestival

Exactly. You will find the exact same gear in w1 and w2, you only gain a exp and gold bonus. You can play w2 for campaign if you want a tougher gameplay, most say it's not worth it and just do the w3 challenge once you've done the campaign and got your legendary aspects and gear for it
Thank you. Yeah that is going to be my approach then. Stick to W1 for this campaign and then approach end game like I do for most games.

cormack12

Gold Member
When I attempted the level 70 capstone at level 53 I was getting almost one shotted but was still killing fairly easily. Is there some kind of resistance penalty or something for big level gaps? I guess I keep thinking of world tiers like torment/difficulty levels when it’s really just more leveling.
In World Tier 3, Diablo 4's demons can now drop Sacred and Unique items, which are both more powerful than Legendary items. You also can find Nightmare Sigils to unlock Nightmare dungeons for powerful loot. Helltides start spawning around the world and feature high-level monsters to defeat for rare items. This is also where monsters start to gain resistances to certain elements, too.

• 100% XP bonus
  • Non-physical resistances reduced by 20% for the player
  • Increased enemy difficulty
  • Champion monsters can spawn
  • Sacred and Unique items can drop
  • Nightmare Sigils can drop

Non physical resistances is -20%

clarky

Gold Member
The extended cinematic between Inarius and Lilith…chef’s kiss…You can satmy anything about Blizzard, but noone does cinematics like them.
Great game, production values through the roof. Maybe the new car smell will wear off, I'm sure the warts and annoyances will surface at some point. But for now I've thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Say what you want about GAAS but this is an example of it done right (so far).

Last edited:

Tg89

Level 58 now, just doing nightmare dungeons (~tier 13-15 depending on the key I have available. Pretty mixed on the game overall....the action stuff is great, the rpg stuff is not.

Good stuff:
-Moment to moment action is awesome
-Looks and sounds fantastic
-Aspects are fun to get initially from dungeons and a cool way to augment gear
-Being able to skip the campaign and having renown/lilith statues carry to alts is nice
-World itself is cool and well designed
-Decent variety of end game activities, though Nightmare dungeons do kinda feel much more optimal
-The PvP is surprisingly fun
-Superrrr stable launch and weekend.

Bad stuff:
-Itemization is awful. Most of the affixes suck and the marginal % increases you get on the ones that don't suck are barely noticeable due to the way scaling/progression is handled. There's nothing akin to hitting a breakpoint in Diablo 2 for example. You get a few extra % on the stats you want but then you just go up a key level anyway so the monsters are equally more powerful. Basically means you're doing the same content over and over again.
-The bad itemization is compounded with the way loot is distributed - need a filter/some way to see if shit is worth picking up. The names of items as they drop indicate basically nothing about their quality so you're sifting through a ton of garbage at the end of each run. Basically just scanning the ilvl and tossing everything out that's below x.
-Further compounded by the upgrade/aspect system - when you do get an upgrade it's so marginal but you also have to invest heavily into it with upgrades and aspects (especailly if you're at the point where you're not using the base aspect and instead trying to get a better, extracted version)
-The uniques so far are pretty wack
-Level scaling sucks and is lazy. It's terrible during the campaign as leveling up often makes you feel weaker - basic enemies just become sponges at certain points. Combine this with the tediously incremental item power creep and it just feels very homogenized.
-Once you've got your build you're basically locked in to most aspects and again, you start the search for the items with the good rolls on them to extract
-Basically it's an incredibly grindy end game but by the time you actually start to see those power spikes that you want out of an ARPG, there's no real reason to continue playing
-It's nice that they let you skip the campaign and stuff on alts but it's hard to imagine doing that grind several times over. Feels like a game I'll come back to every few seasons for a week
-World is cool and well designed but also pretty samey. Not many memorable areas (parts of act 5/6 come to mind, the tree area is super cool). It all just blends together.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
The Horse bundle seems to be the only thing worth the money in the cosmetic shop provided you bought the Ultimate Edition.

For 8 Dollars you get 800 Platinum Points which you can to get the Battle Pass 2 for free.

Last edited:

Bry0

Non physical resistances is -20%
I’m seeing some people also saying that for every level a monster is above you, there is an additional penalty to your resistances from their hits. I think I am also realizing now that I was doing the 70 capstone dungeon when I actually meant to do the 60 capstone. I will have to try it to tonight.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I played the beta until level 20 with a barb. This I'm playing with a necromancer because it was my favourite class in Diablo 2 (followed by the barb).

Game seems... easier? Necromancer with bone splinters, bone spear, corpse explosion and
upgraded minions (5 skeleton skirmishers and 3 ice mages, not even a Golem yet) and I'm destroying everything without a sweat. Playing on veteran now, of course, but if I could I would switch one difficulty level higher.

Apart from that, I find the game super enjoyable.

Is the necromancer OP compared to the barb, or did they make the game easier compared to the beta?

Last edited:

Freeman76

Level 58 now, just doing nightmare dungeons (~tier 13-15 depending on the key I have available. Pretty mixed on the game overall....the action stuff is great, the rpg stuff is not.

Good stuff:
-Moment to moment action is awesome
-Looks and sounds fantastic
-Aspects are fun to get initially from dungeons and a cool way to augment gear
-Being able to skip the campaign and having renown/lilith statues carry to alts is nice
-World itself is cool and well designed
-Decent variety of end game activities, though Nightmare dungeons do kinda feel much more optimal
-The PvP is surprisingly fun
-Superrrr stable launch and weekend.

Bad stuff:
-Itemization is awful. Most of the affixes suck and the marginal % increases you get on the ones that don't suck are barely noticeable due to the way scaling/progression is handled. There's nothing akin to hitting a breakpoint in Diablo 2 for example. You get a few extra % on the stats you want but then you just go up a key level anyway so the monsters are equally more powerful. Basically means you're doing the same content over and over again.
-The bad itemization is compounded with the way loot is distributed - need a filter/some way to see if shit is worth picking up. The names of items as they drop indicate basically nothing about their quality so you're sifting through a ton of garbage at the end of each run. Basically just scanning the ilvl and tossing everything out that's below x.
-Further compounded by the upgrade/aspect system - when you do get an upgrade it's so marginal but you also have to invest heavily into it with upgrades and aspects (especailly if you're at the point where you're not using the base aspect and instead trying to get a better, extracted version)
-The uniques so far are pretty wack
-Level scaling sucks and is lazy. It's terrible during the campaign as leveling up often makes you feel weaker - basic enemies just become sponges at certain points. Combine this with the tediously incremental item power creep and it just feels very homogenized.
-Once you've got your build you're basically locked in to most aspects and again, you start the search for the items with the good rolls on them to extract
-Basically it's an incredibly grindy end game but by the time you actually start to see those power spikes that you want out of an ARPG, there's no real reason to continue playing
-It's nice that they let you skip the campaign and stuff on alts but it's hard to imagine doing that grind several times over. Feels like a game I'll come back to every few seasons for a week
-World is cool and well designed but also pretty samey. Not many memorable areas (parts of act 5/6 come to mind, the tree area is super cool). It all just blends together.
As much as I love the game, I do see where you're coming from. The thing I loved most about D3 was the way you could almost break the game with how powerful you could get. This feels way different, its always a struggle. Could be my build/gear, but even at the end of the campaign and after many dungeons, I havent had one drop that suddenly meant I felt I can up the diffoculty. Im hoping this changes with endgame activities, but im fearing its gonna be more of the same.

Freeman76

Killed the last boss and got a dope item, that was level 40 and not even as good as the rare I was wearing. Thats a bit shit ngl

Top Bottom