• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV | Review Thread

What score do you think Diablo IV will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 -30%

• 30-40%

• 40 -50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 163 55.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yep. Has zero purpose existing. It is why I am waiting to see the general community for Diablo's views after many players get 100-300 hours into it before I pull the trigger or not. Beta was shit, but I also thought the same for a few other games that I ended up really enjoying. However between the terrible Beta, the awful MTX (fuck off "its only cosmetic" folks), the Battle Pass, and the Always Online? Not looking good. Reviewers also have had very little in terms of trust these past few years. Again, Diablo 3 was supposedly just as good in their eyes.
Yeah all that sounds insanely unattractive to me, I don’t know why anyone wants what loot you get be controlled?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah all that sounds insanely unattractive to me, I don’t know why anyone wants what loot you get be controlled?
Similar reason for GT7. They can raise/lower rates of legendary/item drop chances instantly. If there is a glitch with a boss haivng a very high chance at dropping legendaries? They can nip that in the bud. Or if they want to make an event where a boss drops legendaries at an increased rate? They can do that quickly.

I am fine with that concept, but it doesn't mean you need to remove offline play. Just allow it so a player can make an online or offline character. Simple.

Mephisto40

Yep. Has zero purpose existing. It is why I am waiting to see the general community for Diablo's views after many players get 100-300 hours into it before I pull the trigger or not. Beta was shit, but I also thought the same for a few other games that I ended up really enjoying. However between the terrible Beta, the awful MTX (fuck off "its only cosmetic" folks), the Battle Pass, and the Always Online? Not looking good. Reviewers also have had very little in terms of trust these past few years. Again, Diablo 3 was supposedly just as good in their eyes.
Where on earth are you getting "its not looking good" from when everyone is giving the game 8's and 9's?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Where on earth are you getting "its not looking good" from when everyone is giving the game 8's and 9's?

"It's not looking good" refers to having my opinion changed by the greater Diablo Community once they get more time with the game. Between the MTX, Battle Pass, Always Online, and my personal experience with how awful the beta was.

As for reviews - again. "journalists" gave Diablo III 8s and 9s and that game was trash. They can be trusted as far as I can throw them.

Mephisto40

"It's not looking good" refers to having my opinion changed by the greater Diablo Community once they get more time with the game. Between the MTX, Battle Pass, Always Online, and my personal experience with how awful the beta was.

As for reviews - again. "journalists" gave Diablo III 8s and 9s and that game was trash. They can be trusted as far as I can throw them.
The "diablo community' are also universally praising the game...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Similar reason for GT7. They can raise/lower rates of legendary/item drop chances instantly. If there is a glitch with a boss haivng a very high chance at dropping legendaries? They can nip that in the bud. Or if they want to make an event where a boss drops legendaries at an increased rate? They can do that quickly.

I am fine with that concept, but it doesn't mean you need to remove offline play. Just allow it so a player can make an online or offline character. Simple.
Based how much people excited for this and good reviews, there is audience for this type of games but for me this exactly type of game I avoid like a plague.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The "diablo community' are also universally praising the game...

Hence why I said I will wait to see how they feel 200-300 hours into the game.
Based how much people excited for this and good reviews, there is audience for this type of games but for me this exactly type of game I avoid like a plague.
Normally I am the same, but sometimes a game can be so much fun that it makes up for the cancerous design. Doesn't happen often sadly.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Why are you in this thread making up stuff that makes no sense? Trolls coming out of the woodworks I see.

Also, thanks for insulting "journalists" including me. People who review games early games are not all terrible people. Yes, there are some awful ones out there, but not all of us. Stop with this cynical stuff man.

Expect more of this bullshit in the OT with little real pushback because the sentiment is on the "right side." They did it in the DI thread where they straight up made shit up about the live service in that one (that had gambling in it whose odiousness didn't need any embellishing) and will do it for this one despite the current system in place being about the best compromise that gamers and game developers can come to regarding MTX.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Normally I am the same, but sometimes a game can be so much fun that it makes up for the cancerous design. Doesn't happen often sadly.
If I play a game for 300 hours and havent decided yet how I actually feel about said game then the game is a success

I see people praising it after playing 100 hours, if I get that out of it its a success

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If I play a game for 300 hours and havent decided yet how I actually feel about said game then the game is a success

I see people praising it after playing 100 hours, if I get that out of it its a success

For me, a Diablo game is great if it gives me thousands of hours of gameplay with endless replayability. I put in well over 30,000 hours in D2. About half that with D1. To me, if it is anything less than 300 it isn't a good Diablo game. Diablo Immortal didn't even last 2 hours. Diablo 3 barely lasted 200.

I just have different expectations for this franchise and style of game.

Yeah, give it a couple weeks. The end game sounds robust at least so that bodes well.

I hope so!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
For me, a Diablo game is great if it gives me thousands of hours of gameplay with endless replayability. I put in well over 30,000 hours in D2. About half that with D1. To me, if it is anything less than 300 it isn't a good Diablo game. Diablo Immortal didn't even last 2 hours. Diablo 3 barely lasted 200.

I hope so!
You spent almost three and half years of your life playing diablo 2?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

When this dude was talking about the added battlepass value and the pay us more to play the game less magical dipshit battlepass.. i wanted run headfirst into a wall.

Played d2 for about 1000 hours or so
D3 about the same.

Last edited:

Stafford

Do any of the reviews mention if there are still copy and pasted dungeons? I've had identical dungeons quite early on in the beta. Worse probably even were the dungeons that had copy and pasted areas multiple times in it. Didn't like that at all.

Mephisto40

I hope so!
You put 4 years of gametime into Diablo 2?!? 😳🤯

Mind officially blown, that's an incredible amount of time to put into any game

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You spent almost three and half years of your life playing diablo 2?
You put 4 years of gametime into Diablo 2?!? 😳🤯

Mind officially blown, that's an incredible amount of time to put into any game

Yes! It is one of my favorite games of all time. Been playing since launch. Lot easier when it first came out as I was still a kid so I could just play all day long and all night long and sleep during class. That is why I am being very nervous with D4. I want the game to be amazing, but I was already burned by D3 (less by Diablo Immortal as we all knew that was going to be trash). I want to make absolutely sure that this game is worthy of a buy for myself.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF
johnny depp film GIF

Pop

Looks to have quite a few activities to keep me busy till the start of season 1 in July

Can't wait

Shtef

I finished diablo 2 last week and i am almost done with diablo 3 and i have no idea what are you people talking about 😄 What does the battle pass do? Is it like expansion with new acts? And how can you put so many hours in diablo? I mean you finish it and thats it. You can play it on harder difficulty but the story mode is same.
I also read you can skip story mode, then what are you going to play? Is online play different than playing solo?

Last edited:
I finished diablo 2 last week and i am almost done with diablo 3 and i have no idea what are you people talking about 😄 What does the battle pass do? Is it like expansion with new acts? And how can you put so many hours in diablo? I mean you finish it and thats it. You can play it on harder difficulty but the story mode is same.
I also read you can skip story mode, then what are you going to play? Is online play different than playing solo?
in d3 you do rifts and the numbers go up

in d2 you repeatedly kill baal and a couple of other bosses

Last edited:

demigod

I hope so!
You spent 200 hours playing Diablo 3? What’s wrong with you?

Luipadre

People can cry about the paid early access, but i would do the same if i was the publisher head. It will bring in shit ton of money for them especially after the great betas and the reviews. No one wants to start later and missing out the weekend and the start of this game. Also for me the 90 euro is well worth it, because i know i will play this for hundreds of hours.

MaKTaiL

I just finished watching the IGN review and he says the endgame loop is the best of the franchise so far. A LOT of stuff to do that will keep us entertained for months.

Dynasty8

Comments like this never made sense to me.

Anyone who's invested 200-300 hours into a game tells me they enjoyed it and got their money's worth. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind invest that much time into something they're not enjoying?

Even MMOs and MMO-likes... Almost every game starts to become stale after a couple hundred hours, but that's where seasons, battle passes, QoL updates and DLC's come in too....but it seems like you're complaining about that as well. So it's a lose lose situation either way for you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Comments like this never made sense to me.

Anyone who's invested 200-300 hours into a game tells me they enjoyed it and got their money's worth. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind invest that much time into something they're not enjoying?

Even MMOs and MMO-likes... Almost every game starts to become stale after a couple hundred hours, but that's where seasons, battle passes, QoL updates and DLC's come in too....but it seems like you're complaining about that as well. So it's a lose lose situation either way for you.
I explained it:

Top Bottom