• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV | Review Thread

What score do you think Diablo IV will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 -30%

• 30-40%

• 40 -50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 163 55.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amigastar

Rhykker's review. Pretty knowledgeable theory-crafter for this kind of game.

He says that Drop rates of Legendaries and Unique items feel good. It remains exciting to get Legendary drop without not being to rare.
For people saying Rhykker is biased watch the video and see what he has to say about the affixes.

Last edited:

sendit

GOTY 90-95
Called it. Currently sitting at 92 on the Xbox Series X (using as example because it fits my agenda) :)

e50FXbs.png

Last edited:

Luipadre

that feeling that you're about to buy the $90 version just for early access.

2vXqLiS.gif

Just do it if you think you gonna play this a lot. Nothing is wrong about it. There are a shitton of broken and bad games are releasing nowadays for 70 and 80 euros so 90 for a polished diablo isnt too bad

Last edited:
Then the beta completely failed to showcase any of that. There was no strategic thinking or methodical planning. It was just face to keyboard and maybe using a healing potion every few hours.

As for reviews - I don't' really trust any of them. Will wait to see what the general Diablo Community thinks. Reviewers also gave Diablo III 80s-90s 11 years ago and that game speaks for itself.

Which class did you play? I played rogue. I have forgotten names of abilities now.

But i had a build going in which you could leave a sword with first attack you made. Which then returned to you in 1.5 seconds, damaging everyone in path. Trick was to use this ability followed by dash.

I just played till level 15 and had this, pretty powerful build going. Skill tree, on first glance revealed even more builds with complementary skills.

You can really go nuts here.

What? I never played Diablo but I always thought these games were single players with optional co-op, why it needs to be online only? Are they MMOs or GaaS games?

why is it so hard make offline mode optional? I mean Souls series also has online features but you always have the option to play them completely offline, why other can’t do the same?

Full on GAAS. Likely following Destiny model. Will be an improvement if it releases expansions like it.

sendit

What? I never played Diablo but I always thought these games were single players with optional co-op, why it needs to be online only? Are they MMOs or GaaS games?

why is it so hard make offline mode optional? I mean Souls series also has online features but you always have the option to play them completely offline, why other can’t do the same?
I encourage you to tap into your intellectual abilities and consider utilizing a simple Google search, as it would swiftly provide you with the answer you seek. There is no need to pretend unawareness when the solution is readily available.

sendit

Yep. Has zero purpose existing. It is why I am waiting to see the general community for Diablo's views after many players get 100-300 hours into it before I pull the trigger or not. Beta was shit, but I also thought the same for a few other games that I ended up really enjoying. However between the terrible Beta, the awful MTX (fuck off "its only cosmetic" folks), the Battle Pass, and the Always Online? Not looking good. Reviewers also have had very little in terms of trust these past few years. Again, Diablo 3 was supposedly just as good in their eyes.
Show me where Diablo touched you.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I encourage you to tap into your intellectual abilities and consider utilizing a simple Google search, as it would swiftly provide you with the answer you seek. There is no need to pretend unawareness when the solution is readily available.
Well I’m not in to Diablo series enough so I would go out of my way to research it on Google. I also checked this thread just out of mindless curiosity, the whole online only kinda caught me off guard.

I knew the game had MP features but I didn’t know this game was GaaS game.

Well I’m not in to Diablo series enough so I would go out of my way to research it on Google. I also checked this thread just out of mindless curiosity, the whole online only kinda caught me off guard.

I knew the game had MP features but I didn’t know this game was GaaS game.
Not trying to sound like a dick here (but if I do end up sounding that way, so be it). You do realize that this game is made by Blizzard, right? Think of other games Blizzard made. Think of why Blizzard is where they are at today. They are one of the original companies that had a major impact in online gaming and one of the original "GaaS" developers. Although it wasn't termed as "GaaS" back then.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not trying to sound like a dick here (but if I do end up sounding that way, so be it). You do realize that this game is made by Blizzard, right? Think of other games Blizzard made. Think of why Blizzard is where they are at today. They are one of the original companies that had a major impact in online gaming and one of the original "GaaS" developers. Although it wasn't termed as "GaaS" back then.
You are right, Blizzard are devs who mostly focus on online gaming, in that sense it makes sense.

Codeblew

Comments like this never made sense to me.

Anyone who's invested 200-300 hours into a game tells me they enjoyed it and got their money's worth. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind invest that much time into something they're not enjoying?

Even MMOs and MMO-likes... Almost every game starts to become stale after a couple hundred hours, but that's where seasons, battle passes, QoL updates and DLC's come in too....but it seems like you're complaining about that as well. So it's a lose lose situation either way for you.
Preach. If you play a $70 game for 300 hours, that is $0.23 cents per hour. Not many hobbies are cheaper than that.

demigod

People can cry about the paid early access, but i would do the same if i was the publisher head. It will bring in shit ton of money for them especially after the great betas and the reviews. No one wants to start later and missing out the weekend and the start of this game. Also for me the 90 euro is well worth it, because i know i will play this for hundreds of hours.
They definitely know what they are doing releasing this game on shit Tuesday.

TylerD

Kripp is the only review I care about. If he says its good we good

In a video I watched last night Kripp said he played the review build maybe 7-10 hrs. He had other things planned in his life and it was a surprise that it was made available to them so I don't expect any major updates very soon from him.

I will echo that he said that his 6/10 for the closed/open betas went to probably 8/10 after playing server slam weekend though and seeing the changes. That's pretty positive.

Last edited:

manfestival

its a good thing I am going to be out of down from thursday to Monday. that way I cannot justify paying $90 for the game

Last edited:

Vognerful

To be honest, I joked when I voted as 95%~100%, but I am really surprised it scored this well. The internet fooled me to think that nothing good can come out from Blizzard these days.

splattered

Someone was saying we wouldn't be able to console share this game between systems because of the battle.net login? I should be able to share this game with one other Xbox console at launch if i bought it and set the other as my home machine etc yeah? Same as always? I hope... o_O

Setzer

In a video I watched last night Kripp said he played the review build maybe 7-10 hrs. He had other things planned in his life and it was a surprise that it was made available to them so I don't expect any major updates very soon from him.

I will echo that he said that his 6/10 for the closed/open betas went to probably 8/10 after playing server slam weekend though and seeing the changes. That's pretty positive.

I was looking forward to hearing his thoughts on it as well. Only thing he has planned in his life is to make more Hearthstone videos.

I chose 90 to 95 but I realized that might be too high. But, this game is probably going to deliver so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it is scored that high in the end.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Draugoth Draugoth
Glad I helped you. My curse judu jinx saved you a 70+ metacritic. Now enjoy that 88 metacritic.

I'm going to have at least 500 hours in this game like i did with 3....

NOW BLIZZARD REMOVE THE FUCKING GAMING AS A SERVICE SHIT FROM MY DIABLO GAME, IM NOT PAYING $30 FOR A SKIN.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Rentahamster Rentahamster set up the NeoGaf clan for the last few betas and we plan on doing the same this weekend for the early access period. If anyone is interested you can join the clan and, I believe....unless this has changed, as long as folks in the clan are online you get an XP bonus without having to be in a party.

We had a blast playing in the Server Slam and everyone is welcome.

Drop a line if interested....LEEEEEEEETTTTTTSSSSSSS GO!

io8al9q.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster Rentahamster set up the NeoGaf clan for the last few betas and we plan on doing the same this weekend for the early access period. If anyone is interested you can join the clan and, I believe....unless this has changed, as long as folks in the clan are online you get an XP bonus without having to be in a party.

io8al9q.jpg

Dad bods are back baby, let's fucking gooooooo

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

io8al9q.jpg
What about those of us that refuse to pay extra to play early? Are we still invited when the plebs join the ranks?

Or will it be
I Dont Know You Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So you played over 30,000 hours just in D2 ? That's more than 20 years playing 4 hours a day 365 days a year. What did you do of your life all these decades beside Diablo ?
Its a huge number but I know 3 of my "mains" in World of Warcraft had over 1 year of play time when I would do /played and I had every class max level so no telling how many hours those added up to

Granted though so much of my time dancing on the mailbox in Org but still

Mossybrew

Glad to see the good reviews, though it was a moot point for me, I was sold after playing the first beta. Not springing extra for the deluxe edition or whatever, will be patient and wait for the 6th.

Antwix

io8al9q.jpg
Yep, all are welcome! I'll have a shoutout for the clan as well in the OT.

Hopefully in the clan news feed it'll let everyone know when someone dies in hardcore so we can all laugh.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Its a huge number but I know 3 of my "mains" in World of Warcraft had over 1 year of play time when I would do /played and I had every class max level so no telling how many hours those added up to

Granted though so much of my time dancing on the mailbox in Org but still
Yeah I did played MMO's a lot too. But a full year of /played is more than 8700 hours. Even being full hardcore 8 hours a day every single day it still take 3 years IRL to get a full year of /played. So spread over 10 years I guess it's possible with a normal life beside.
But 30,000+ hours over a single game, even over 20 years it's sooo hardcore... I can't figure how I could do that myself.

norm9

I won't be picking this up as I still need to beat Grim Dawn but I'm crossing my fingers my buddy who I gameshare with is buying it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah I did played MMO's a lot too. But a full year of /played is more than 8700 hours. Even being full hardcore 8 hours a day every single day it still take 3 years IRL to get a full year of /played. So spread over 10 years I guess it's possible with a normal life beside.
But 30,000+ hours over a single game, even over 20 years it's sooo hardcore... I can't figure how I could do that myself.
Yeah guess I am just saying its possible.

By far my most played time in WoW was on my hunter but so many hours of that was when we had to level up new pets I had a macro to farm mobs with my newest pet then I would go to bed and let it run

Zathalus

I quite enjoyed Diablo 3. Over 5000 hours played. Sure the story and characters were laughable (Azmodan was a joke really). But endgame was fun, especially after Reaper of Souls launched, pushing rifts and greater rifts with friends was great if not especially deep. Been years since I played though.

Path of Exile took over my gametime eventually but I'm burnt out on that now as well.

Looking forward to this.

I quite enjoyed Diablo 3. Over 5000 hours played. Sure the story and characters were laughable (Azmodan was a joke really). But endgame was fun, especially after Reaper of Souls launched, pushing rifts and greater rifts with friends was great if not especially deep. Been years since I played though.

Path of Exile took over my gametime eventually but I'm burnt out on that now as well.

Looking forward to this.
Storyline in Diablo 4 is far better and it has a lot of throwbacks. However, it's won't make you drop your jaw or anything and there are some weird moments, but its leagues ahead of D3 laughable "twists"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Looking forward to this.
The latest diablo 3 season is absolutely amazing

Joramun

Yep, all are welcome! I'll have a shoutout for the clan as well in the OT.

Hopefully in the clan news feed it'll let everyone know when someone dies in hardcore so we can all laugh.
Can we get GAF D4 discord as well please? Too much to ask perhaps? 😂

Top Bottom