• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV | Review Thread

What score do you think Diablo IV will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 -30%

• 30-40%

• 40 -50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 163 55.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can people still preload the 70 dollar version today, even if they can't play it until Tuesday? I wouldn't mind getting an early start on the download.

Bridges

Someone was saying we wouldn't be able to console share this game between systems because of the battle.net login? I should be able to share this game with one other Xbox console at launch if i bought it and set the other as my home machine etc yeah? Same as always? I hope... o_O
I haven't heard this, but I gameshare on Xbox and the other person was able to get into the Beta using their Battle.net, so I don't imagine that'll be a problem?

The only time I've ever encountered an issue gamesharing was with Outriders Worldslayer DLC, and even then I'm not certain if that was the real cause. I wouldn't be too worried but it's possible they crack down on it somehow.

ManaByte

Gold Member
F3Z9LcY.jpg

Lets Go Weekend GIF

sachos

D2 is one of my favourite games of all time. Its hard to trust reviews on games like this, D3 also had amazing reviews... so i don't know. Lets hope they are right this time. My major concern is itemization and how fun will be hunting those items in the end game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ooofft I wish I had that much to burn on a pc
I got mine through affirm and paid it off over time. Its all paid off now though. I wanted to get into high end pc gaming for years, ive been a console guy for the last 30. I made enough to comfortably make the monthly payments, so i figured why not. But i didnt drop 5k all at once

sachos

Says upgrading your stuff during the campaign is pointless. Figured D4 would be a lot like D3 in that regard. Early game is basically pointless. Just rush to the end so you can play the real game.
This was one of my biggest fears. One of the worst things they ever did to Diablo is tie itemization to your character level. This obsession with "end game" makes it so the early game is pointless. In D2 you can start getting amazing loot that you keep for long periods of time even in Nightmare...

VideoHideo

Neo Member
D2 is one of my favourite games of all time. Its hard to trust reviews on games like this, D3 also had amazing reviews... so i don't know. Lets hope they are right this time. My major concern is itemization and how fun will be hunting those items in the end game.
Yeah, Diablo 3 was also amazing. Played it for 7 years at least.

sachos

Yeah, Diablo 3 was also amazing. Played it for 7 years at least.
Lets agree to disagree, imo it was an Ok to Good arcade game but nowhere near the greatness of D2, they bastardized the core ARPG systems (itemization and character customization) aswell as the art design and music.

Kacho

This was one of my biggest fears. One of the worst things they ever did to Diablo is tie itemization to your character level. This obsession with "end game" makes it so the early game is pointless. In D2 you can start getting amazing loot that you keep for long periods of time even in Nightmare...
We’ll just have to wait and see how it differentiates itself from Diablo 3. One of the reasons Activision ceased development on Diablo 3 was because they didn’t have a way to monetize it after the RMAH closed. And at a glance Diablo 4 appears to be Diablo 3 with battle passes and $28 skins. It’s clearly not a back to basics approach for the series.

Damn, 40-50 hours for the main campaign alone and most likely 200 hours total with endgame. So it looks like I wont be playing much games besides this, ffxvi and spiderman 2 this year...

sachos

And at a glance Diablo 4 appears to be Diablo 3 with battle passes and $28 skins. It’s clearly not a back to basics approach for the series.
To be fair they did improve on a lot of aspects from D3: Art design/Graphics, Story, Music, Character Customization (Skill Tree and Paragon Board). All of that is much better from what i've seen. But the core of an ARPG (Itemization) still seems to be mostly influenced by D3 style design, and that is really sad. I want to see what the Endgame looks like and what endgame itemization looks like when you get better affixes/suffixes than there were available on the open beta.

DavidGzz

The best diablo oh fuck off
I LOVE d2 and d3 each in their own way. But to spout shit like this i need a minimum of 200 hours

And 1 year of patches

I mean, D2 is ancient and feels so. He said D4 has the best gameplay of the 3 and he likes the end game. Pretty simple reasoning. I grew up on Diablo and D2 was my favorite game for a decade but unless you're super susceptible to nostalgia, it isn't very hard to beat.

Captn

It was actually 84.40gb download on blizzard app with a final folder install size of 76.80gb

fueZCBI.jpg

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Why even have the "early game" if it is completely pointless? This is why they should allow the player to choose whatever difficulty they want and reward the player for playing on harder difficulties from the outset. Get them into the core loop faster, instead of wasting the player's time with needless/pointless filler.

Nah, every season the early game power creep is some of the most fun you can have even though it's pointless at end game.

DavidGzz

Can you provide examples of the early game power creep you’re referring to?

Finding upgrades as you level with the occasional legendary that you can cube in Kanai's cube. It's fun. I'm talking about D3. And it should be similar in D4 with the aspects.

Kacho

Finding upgrades as you level with the occasional legendary that you can cube in Kanai's cube. It's fun. I'm talking about D3. And it should be similar in D4 with the aspects.
I wouldn’t call that some of the most fun you can have. It’s more of a convenience mechanic to bypass the boring early game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant wait. I'll see how necro is. I only played the first beta, and supposedly the class got nerfed in beta 2. Hopefully not too much. I never tried necro before in a Diablo game and want to try something new.

VideoHideo

Neo Member
Lets agree to disagree, imo it was an Ok to Good arcade game but nowhere near the greatness of D2, they bastardized the core ARPG systems (itemization and character customization) aswell as the art design
Lets agree to disagree, imo it was an Ok to Good arcade game but nowhere near the greatness of D2, they bastardized the core ARPG systems (itemization and character customization) aswell as the art design and music.
you won’t like Diablo 4 then. It’s more 3 than 2. If they made another d2 it wouldn’t be as successful as Diablo 4 is gonna be. The key for them now is accessibility and merging the best elements of all 3 games into 4. Nobody gonna play a game like that again where you can play for 20 years and not see the piece you want drops. No a massive amount of people anyway like they want. It would be more niche . There are abunch of games out there like Diablo 2 if you wanna play more Diablo 2.

Last edited:

noise36

So for Australians this game costs $75 on console and $110 on PC wowee how times have changed?

I am not playing on console and I am not paying $110 for PC. Happy to wait!

Last edited:

GenericUser

Are we so far down the "lolz journalists" rabbit hole that we're expecting journalists to have a trouble with an ARPG's campaign on Normal difficulty?
That's not what I meant. What I mean is that you usually see a pattern in games that get very high scores from "journalists". Diablo doesn't exactly have that pattern. It's heavy emphasis on the GaaS aspect and the "endgame" usually does not lead to high 90 scores from critics. It's hard to blame them for that though. Both things are hardly (if at all) judgeable from a only few days of playing the game for a review.

Top Bottom