• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE new boss says it has ‘no time’ for Mirror’s Edge-style projects: ‘We’re focusing only on Battlefield’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In one of her first interviews since joining the company last November, GamesIndustry.biz asked Rebecka Coutaz if working on projects in the vein of Mirror’s Edge was currently off the table.

“Totally,” she responded. “We are only focusing on Battlefield 2042. There is no time for anything else and this is what we want to do. In three years, we want to be the first-person shooter powerhouse that DICE deserves to be, and that is what we’re going for.”

Following a disappointing launch for Battlefield 2042, Coutaz said DICE has spent over six months “fixing and improving” the game to the point where it felt confident to launch its delayed first season of live content in early June, and she claimed the studio has received “good feedback”.

“The players are enjoying our map and the content that we have provided, so it’s a win for us and it makes us feel better.

“The team is here to make Battlefield, and they’re passionate about Battlefield. We have many Battlefield veterans. So it’s important for us to improve Battlefield 2042 and the experience that we can provide to our players. We owe them that.”

Coutaz said DICE was committed to overcoming Battlefield 2042’s disappointing launch and re-engaging its fanbase.

“I want the team to be really proud about Battlefield 2042,” she said. “That is what they are chasing and they have their heart and the passion there. We want to be really, really proud of DICE.

“We want DICE to be the number one spot for first-person shooter games in Europe, and one of the powerhouses in the world. It’s a fabulous team. We’re going to make magic together.”

Season 4 GIF by Rick and Morty

Shame about Mirrors Edge but I do respect that commitment and focus to fix the game rather than what 343i did for months with Infinite getting update crumbs while simultaneously pumping out great content for MCC.

Infinite's in a much better place now that the MCC updates are over, I don't know what held DICE back before but hopefully they're in a position to do the same with 2042.

hlm666

How soon before EA takes Dice out back and puts one in the back of its head ?
Couple more years, they will see arc raiders then make Dice use unreal engine for a battlefield game then when that turns out worse than frostbite battlefields they are taken out back ;)

Zuzu

"In three years, we want to be the first-person shooter powerhouse that DICE deserves to be [...]"

Deserves to be? Uh no, you either earn your position as a top fps developer or you don't. You don't deserve anything. Make a high quality product that we consumers enjoy and you will receive our money and any accolades that may come your way for your achievement.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

To be fair that is the right messaging from the studio. To be focused on fixing their flagship franchise.

I'm mostly confused why this game was so difficult when they already had the building blocks and experience from Battlefield and Battlefront. And didn't have the burden of making a campaign.

Barakov

Wellllllllll....that's the smart play. I absolutely loved Mirror's Edge and thought Catalyst was pretty good but focusing on BF is the better move here. STILL, out of their two franchises Mirror's Edge is the far more interesting IP.

Battlefield should be a best in class shooter every time one comes out. Instead what we've gotten with the past 3 entries is a middle of the road bug fest. It took quite a while for BFV to get pretty good even with all the bugs getting ironed out. Honestly, what Battlefield has become is a early access game that you play $60($70 now) for if get it at launch. You basically pay to bug test their beta that they release as a finished product. Kinda tells you where the industry is at these days.

Elginer

Wellllllllll....that's the smart play. I absolutely loved Mirror's Edge and thought Catalyst was pretty good but focusing on BF is the better move here. STILL, out of their two franchises Mirror's Edge is the far more interesting IP.

Battlefield should be a best in class shooter every time one comes out. Instead what we've gotten with the past 3 entries is a middle of the road bug fest. It took quite a while for BFV to get pretty good even with all the bugs getting ironed out. Honestly, what Battlefield has become is a early access game that you play $60($70 now) for if get it at launch. You basically pay to bug test their beta that they release as a finished product. Kinda tells you where the industry is at these days.
It’s true, it’s why I skip each one and wait for a sale for like 20 bucks, they love to release beta ass shit at full price. It’s fuckiing bullshit. I’ve been had before, never again

ZehDon

I think they’ve abandoned 2042 and are just running the PR train to milk what few players they have left.
They want to be a “powerhouse” in three years? Yeah, I’m guessing that nearly coincides with the next Battlefield release, where 2042 will be shutdown unceremoniously. At least they’re not cancelling their own road map like they did with Battlefield V. So, you know, there’s that.

RCU005

That quote of hers it’s so disappointing because it just means they just don’t want to innovate and take risks.

EA is a total disgrace when it comes to managing studios. Worst of all, they have killed so many great ones that deserved so much better! They had so much talent, and then they decide to keep the trash.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What happened to this studio?

What happened to game development?

Battlefield was my favourite shooter for years. 1942, Vietnam, battlefield 2, bad company 2, bad company Vietnam. Battlefield 3 and 4 even...then it just nose dived.
DICE just isnt the same.
I will add they had all the tools and knowhow to make a legit good battlefield.
The got atmosphere absolutely down pat with BF1.
They finally got movement to feel good in BFV.
All the customization options in BF3/4.

All they needed to do was combine all that into one game and they were sorted.
If BF1 still had a bunch of players I would actually still be playing it today.

But NO someone higher up decided they wanted to chase the hero shooter nonsense and reduce what made Battlefield so unique in the shooter arena.

Can they retrieve all the faith theyve lost.....call me a fool but I still believe in them somehow.
See you all in 2025.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
DICE just isnt the same.
I will add they had all the tools and knowhow to make a legit good battlefield.
The got atmosphere absolutely down pat with BF1.
They finally got movement to feel good in BFV.
All the customization options in BF3/4.

All they needed to do was combine all that into one game and they were sorted.
If BF1 still had a bunch of players I would actually still be playing it today.

But NO someone higher up decided they wanted to chase the hero shooter nonsense and reduce what made Battlefield so unique in the shooter arena.

Can they retrieve all the faith theyve lost.....call me a fool but I still believe in them somehow.
See you all in 2025.

I want to believe they can do it, I'm with you 100%. It's not like I'll be gutted if they don't as 2042 feedback destroyed my hope.

Crazy fact, I've owned 2042 on PC since launch day.....I've never even installed it or played one game...that's how bad the feedback hit me.

EDMIX

Never because sadly Dice is doing what EA want now. GaaS games.

lol yea, before this they could do anything and EA never had no input /s

I'm not shocked as I'm sure that sequel didn't do well and the rumor about DICE not doing a Star Wars game shows they no longer want the team split between several projects.

Just cause it worked with a few titles back then, doesn't mean it was without a cost to quality in the long run. Hats off to them for pulling off Mirror's Edge, BF1 and Battlefront 1, that is no easy feat, but clearly that shit took a toll and they just can't keep doing that shit expecting to keep up the quality.

Top Bottom