• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 flop? who here played them?

What did you play.

• I played Deathloop, not Psychonauts 2.

Votes: 62 12.9%
  • I played Psychonauts 2, not Deathloop.

Votes: 168 35.0%
  • I played both.

Votes: 70 14.6%
  • I played neither.

Votes: 180 37.5%

• Total voters

theHFIC

I beat Deathloop on PS5 and really enjoyed it, but there really wasn’t anything next generation about it either for me. I felt the game could be the same on previous generation. I think it would have gotten into more hands with a cross gen release.

Rayderism

Played Psychonauts 2 (on PS4 Pro), thought it was pretty good. Never played Deathloop as I'm not into FPS games.

PuffyCan

Played Psychonauts 2 and loved it, waiting for Deathloop to come to gamepass. I love arkhane games so no way I'm not playing it

Vagswarm

Didn't pick up Deathloop even when it was on sale for half off. Was never hyped for it or understood what it was about. Then the reviews came in and it didn't sound that great.

Never had interest in Psychonauts 2 or the first 1.

tommib

Pretty sure its still 1440p because there has not been a PS5 update for the game since November.
And now no one will count pixels for us…

It was 1440p before the latest patch. I’m playing FFVII Remake Integrade on performance mode parallel to this and Psy2 looks much sharper.

The patch note reads: "Improve PS4 version's resolution and stability on PS5." It does not look like the PlayStation community has discovered exactly what resolution the game now runs at on Sony's current-gen console, but we'll update this article once we learn more.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

It was 1440p before the latest patch. I’m playing FFVII Remake Integrade on performance mode parallel to this and Psy2 looks much sharper.

The patch note reads: "Improve PS4 version's resolution and stability on PS5." It does not look like the PlayStation community has discovered exactly what resolution the game now runs at on Sony's current-gen console, but we'll update this article once we learn more.

Thats what I found on google too. Anyway. Its good PS5 is utilising the PS5 more Cert.in.Death Cert.in.Death can be happy its now more a less a native PS5 version now.

Banned

I mean someone just needs to make a screenshot on his PS5 running the game and upload it here. I'll pixelcount it even... takes 30 seconds

Banned
Will do after my workday but I think Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT was also playing it recently on PS5 and taking screens.

whoever uploads, remember we need a slight slope on screen like this: (not a slope inside of a texture but the edge of an object)

ytWLd7m.png

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
whoever uploads, remember we need a slight slope on screen like this: (not a slope inside of a texture but the edge of an object)
Is the ring in the middle ok? To dark? Not sure if that's ok. Finished it at the end of december.

51725079922_39cec3c653_o.png

Banned
I would love to play Psy2, but since there is no ps5 version, I decided to wait until I get a better PC.

the PC version had a lot of issues when I played it. I played on Series X and PC back and forth depending on the mood and if I had my PC on anyways I just started it up there real quick... and after a while I stopped playing it on PC altogether. that game has some serious Unreal Engine 4 compilation stutters!

Banned
I have a lot of shots but non fits the criteria.

maybe someone else can make one fresh? but loading this one up in an image editor and zooming in to 1:1 scale shows very obviously that it's at least not native 4K. there are clearly upscaled lines/pixels in there

Banned
Is the ring in the middle ok? To dark? Not sure if that's ok. Finished it at the end of december.

51725079922_39cec3c653_o.png

so I tried counting on that camera on the left of the screenshot. it's a steep angle and the line is a bit blurry, but from my findings it comes out at 1440p

Y2y3k6n.png

HNapqIu.png

I counted 20 more or less clear looking stairsteps with a ruler height of 30 pixels

20 : 30 x 2160 = 1440p vertical resolution

Last edited:
it's actually the other way around, although IMO both are overrated
Psychonauts is a solid 8/10 imo and Deathloop is maybe a 7/10. I have not played it since they patched the AI tho so maybe my rating would go up if the AI isn't as ridiculously stupid anymore
I played about 4 hours of Pschonauts 2 and I tried to finish the game and just couldn’t do it, which is rare for me.The graphics and gameplay are dated, even on the Series X and it just wasn’t enjoyable to play at all. I was shocked to see it even mentioned in the GOTY conversation.

Deathloop on the other hand, once it clicked for me, I could not put it down, the gameplay is very addictive and fun. The story actually held my attention until the very end and I still think about the story from time to time, amazing game.

Relique

Just finished Deathloop 2 days ago on PC. Thought it was good but easily the worst Arkane game out of their modern offering. It brought about a few good ideas but regressed in world building, character building, and gameplay variety. Arkane was never that great at telling stories but I preferred the simple straight forward stories of their past games compared to the obtuse offering in Deathloop. I also found the PC port horrendous with stuttering and memory leaks requiring frequent restarts of the game. Maybe it's just my setup? I remember Dishonored 2 being poorly optimized but it wasn't this bad and was patched rather quickly. It was marketed well and charted on PS downloads. I also saw it on steam top downloads lists early on so I think it sold okayish?

Psychonauts I think sold less. I tried it for an hour or two via Gamepass and just wan't in the mood for this type of game at the time. Maybe I will revisit. While I heard praise from critics and those who played it, I don't think it set the world on fire in sales.

bender

What time is it?
I've only played Psychonauts 2. It's probably the closest I've come to liking a Double Fine game. As much as I love the creativity of the worlds that Tim and company create, the game play usually lags pretty far behind. The platforming is probably a step up from what they usually produce but I would never call it the draw. Like most games these days, it's mostly fine. It actually reminds me a lot of It Takes Two in that regard except that game overstayed it's welcome by a multiple of two or three. I was glad with Psychonauts 2 ended and I'll probably never go back to it, but I don't regret the experience.

I'll play Deathloop on Game Pass eventually. I don't really care for Arkane's games to be honest. There art direction just turns me off.

Banned
Just finished Deathloop 2 days ago on PC. Thought it was good but easily the worst Arkane game out of their modern offering. It brought about a few good ideas but regressed in world building, character building, and gameplay variety. Arkane was never that great at telling stories but I preferred the simple straight forward stories of their past games compared to the obtuse offering in Deathloop. I also found the PC port horrendous with stuttering and memory leaks requiring frequent restarts of the game. Maybe it's just my setup? I remember Dishonored 2 being poorly optimized but it wasn't this bad and was patched rather quickly. It was marketed well and charted on PS downloads. I also saw it on steam top downloads lists early on so I think it sold okayish?

their games always have some technical issues... Prey ran ridiculously well tho for a Cryengine game to be completely honest lol... but even that has issues, for example if you don't run a 100% constanly perfectly even framerate your character movement will stutter and change slightly which can feel like engine stutter. so you basically have to try and then lock it using .ini files to a framerate you can consistently reach and not drop below.

but the PS5 version of Deathloop is way worse believe me. at least they now patched in a damn FoV slider finally (and I think you can finally rebind buttons now?), but at launch is was pure hell. super low FoV + the controller aiming is maybe the worst I know of from the last 2 or 3 years, worse than in Prey... somehow, which was already very hard at the edge to having bad controller aiming.. and the aiming has not been patched yet.

Last edited:

Relique

their games always have some technical issues... Prey ran ridiculously well tho for a Cryengine game to be completely honest lol... but even that has issues, for example if you don't run a 100% constanly perfectly even framerate your character movement will stutter and change slightly which can feel like engine stutter. so you basically have to try and then lock it using .ini files to a framerate you can consistently reach and not drop below.

but the PS5 version of Deathloop is way worse believe me. at least they now patched in a damn FoV slider finally (and I think you can finally rebind buttons now?), but at launch is was pure hell. super low FoV + the controller aiming is maybe the worst I know of from the last 2 or 3 years, worse than in Prey... somehow, which was already very hard at the edge to having bad controller aiming.. and the aiming has not been patched yet.
Surprised to hear console version is even worse. Not many people talk about it so I guess most that played have moved on. Unlike the older games this has zero replay value to me.

I also recently finished Prey and luckily dodged the issue you are talking about. You are right though their games have issues more often than not and they need to be patching things quicker.

Banned
Surprised to hear console version is even worse. Not many people talk about it so I guess most that played have moved on. Unlike the older games this has zero replay value to me.

I also recently finished Prey and luckily dodged the issue you are talking about. You are right though their games have issues more often than not and they need to be patching things quicker.

the issue with Prey only really shows itself if you have vsync off and/or you can't reach the refresh of your monitor consistently.
so if you can run it at 120fps and you play on a 120hz monitor with vsync it will not really have any issues.

I played it on my old PC with a GTX1070oc and that card could run it at max settings @1440p at about 75 to 80fps consistently, so I locked it to half refresh of my monitor (72fps) via the .ini files (you can't lock it in-game in any way and geforce drivers also fail) and the issue was gone

I bet on my new PC I could run it at 120fps or right around that

Kagey K

Banned
Tim Schafer has a bit of a curse.

PS1 was well beloved by the people that played it, but it was always a cult favorite. Seems PN2 is going to be the same.

Those of us that love the franchise really love it though and PS2 was a near perfect sequel.

BigBooper

I played a good bit of Psycho 2 and didn't like it at all, but it didn't flop. It dropped the ball as a fan of the first one, but overall there was a lot of positive word of mouth.

No clue about Deathloop. I've never seen much enthusiasm about it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I still have zero intrest in deathloop it was the marketing that suuuucked.

I tried gamepass for psychonauts and i thought it was wildly creative and i loved the first 2 hours.. but i really didn’t feel like playing a platformer. (I rather play the new kirby soon)

Anyway i have factorio to play now so 👋

Banned
Tim Schafer has a bit of a curse.

PS1 was well beloved by the people that played it, but it was always a cult favorite. Seems PN2 is going to be the same.

Those of us that love the franchise really love it though and PS2 was a near perfect sequel.

I think that right there is also the reason many don't like it tho.
IMO Psychonauts 2 feels like a direct sequel, as in an og Xbox/PS2 game that happens to have slightly more modern graphics. if you don't like this more oldschool feel to the game and its design you might have a bad time, while people that like that era of platformers will absolutely adore it

Kagey K

Banned
I think that right there is also the reason many don't like it tho.
IMO Psychonauts 2 feels like a direct sequel, as in an og Xbox/PS2 game that happens to have slightly more modern graphics. if you don't like this more oldschool feel to the game and its design you might have a bad time, while people that like that era of platformers will absolutely adore it
I can agree with that.

Especially for those that have no clue who Raz is or why they should care.

I'm glad to see some gameplay designers stick to thier guns instead of trying to appeal to the masses.

SJRB

Gold Member
Played only Deathloop, never finished it. The tedious gameplay and extreme repetition wore me down HARD.

Which feels bad to say because I'll defend Dishonored and Prey until the day I die.

Esppiral

Played both, I still have to finish deadthloop, but overall I really like more PN2 amazing old school game.

shubik

Got both. Finished Deathloop when it was released and got Psycho 2 in the January sale. Still have to finish it though. Both games are fantastic for what they are. Deathloop was especially great for its DualSense use when it came out. Psychonauts 2 is a great experience with fantastic art and level design. I highly recommend both.

Bramble

I played Deathloop for like 10 hours or so. Got so boring. Sold it and never looked back. The old Dishonored Arkane is no more.

SkylineRKR

Psychonauts was amazing. Haven't played Deathloop yet. I probably wait until it hits GP. Seems to pay off with Hitman 3 as well.

Zephir

Played Deathloop, like it enough, but once I reached the mission to get the passcodes from different bunkers I decided to take a break and play something else.

Will finish and plat it, of course, because it plays nicely and it's a good challenge.... I'll say a full 8, maybe something more, is well deserved

The_hunter

I bought and played two hours of deathloop, characters were very annoying, I couldn't stand them. The entire time a woman was screeching in my ear. I found the writing to be very lame. I returned the game. I want to get psyconauts, heard good things, but I've been burned on kickstarter platformers before with yooka-laylee.

Cryio

Played neither, interested in both. (yet to play Psychonauts 1 too). The games are new, so I usually let them cook for at least 1 year after launch for all the patches, DLCs and drivers to sort everything out.

Top Bottom