• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 flop? who here played them?

What did you play.

• I played Deathloop, not Psychonauts 2.

Votes: 62 12.9%
  • I played Psychonauts 2, not Deathloop.

Votes: 168 35.0%
  • I played both.

Votes: 70 14.6%
  • I played neither.

Votes: 180 37.5%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
Did these 2 games fall flat sales/popularity-wise? who here actually played these? Psychonauts 2 is on Game Pass, so it's a different proposition, but consider flopping as in few people played it.

If Deathloop flops, what does that mean for Arkane? both Prey and Dishonored 2 weren't exactly big hits. Arkane seems to be safely tucked into the Zenimax deal, but these guys are really struggling to make a game that people want to play. Redfall, their new game coming out this summer, seems to be a desperate plea to fit into the service as a game market.

I think both of these companies are happy they are under Microsoft and Game Pass moving forward, I don't think they could survive if not.

Jaybe

I tried Psychonauts 2 on game pass. I couldn’t get into it. I’ll give it another go later on.

Don’t we have NPD data on Deathloop? And sales data from PSN store?

elliot5

I don’t have a ps5 so i didn’t play deathloop. But i know it’ll be on game pass in September so yeah I’ll wait.

I think it’s not a surprise if they flopped commercially - its Arkane and double fine. They dont exactly churn out mega hits. I think they did fine though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You didnt get any sales figures for either game so there is a good chance they both flopped.

Deathloop did win many GOTYs and they are now under the umbrella of microsoft with infinite money so they both should be fine.

Beechos

Played both and both are really good. Arkane is one of my favorite developers and double fine is double fine their history is great. If i was a casual i wouldve not played either due to their art styles though, neither game has that "it" factor that would stop you dead your tracks when looking at them from a distance. Its when you start playing them is where you see the genius.

Last edited:
Psychonauts 2 is too casual for me to play right now but I'll dip into it someday for sure. Deathloop played and finished, was a fine game, not a 10 but a 7. Prey remains top Arkane. Critics were full of shit in regards to Deathloop, but when are they not? But yeah I kind of worry for Arkane as well. ppl loved Prey and it is considered and will be considered a classic for many many years to come and ppl will always return it like System Shock or Bloodlines or whatever else but critics again were full of shit and gave it low scores cuz thats what idiots do and thus made it sell poorly. Deathloop is the opposite, no one will remember it, has nothing special going for it, critics praised it but consumers are not praising it much, barely and ofc that will also impact its sale a lot. Game was on 50% sale on steam like not even 2 months after release so yeah...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Depends on your definition of flop both games got a good reception from reviewers but sales were probably all kinds of bad

DarthPutin

Deathloop at least charted on PS downloads. I think it's safe to say that Psychonauts flopped, but then were the expectations high in a first place?

For me, I really dislike art direction for both, so avoided them. I mean, it's artful and objectively good, just not to my personal taste. Maybe I'll try P2 at some point, because concept is interesting.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I played Psychonauts because it was on Game Pass. I didn't think I'd like it and intended to delete in short order instead and much to my surprise I loved it. Excellent game.

I initially wasn't even willing to try Deathloop for *free on Game Pass it looked so bad, but with the great scores and tons of GotY awards, I will give it a shot when it comes to Game Pass later this year. I love Arkane, but to me this game doesn't look as good as their other games I've played - I hope I'm wrong.

AJUMP23

I played psych2 thought it was ok. I wasn’t a big fan of the art style but I did finish the game. Thought the VO was good.

Banned
I played both, but Deathloop is just not that great tbh... especially on PS5 where I almost instantly stopped playing it and switched over to PC where a friend of mine had it on Steam, so I could play it there using family share.

Roberts

Played both but only completed Psychonauts 2 which is definitely my top3 game of 2021. Bought Deathloop, played it a bit, enjoyed it a lot, but I will get back to it when it comes out on XSX as I just feel more at home with its controller, especially when it comes to Fps games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Does anyone think if arcane went with a more realistic art style their games would sell better? But then their games would prob run like shit i guess.

Nothing wrong with their artstyle or studio direction. Folks clamor for a panacea to the "also ran" games we keep getting, but then thumb their nose up at an wildly original IP because. . .it was on too many SONY shows? So now we're getting the looter-shooter REDFALL (which I'm actually looking forward to).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Deathloop is pretty good actually, i think its a simple yet fun game imo.

Verchod

Played both. Hated the first area of Psychonauts 2, felt really generic and uninspired. I did complete the original game and I'm sure later parts of this would be cool but my god it was so dull.

I also played Deathloop for a while, and really liked it, but it's actually the Game structure that doesn't interest me. I'd rather play through the game as normal rather than trying to complete the game in one run.
I haven't played it in some time, but maybe I'll go back to it. I did love the style and design.

Beechos

I played Psychonauts because it was on Game Pass. I didn't think I'd like it and intended to delete in short order instead and much to my surprise I loved it. Excellent game.

I initially wasn't even willing to try Deathloop for *free on Game Pass it looked so bad, but with the great scores and tons of GotY awards, I will give it a shot when it comes to Game Pass later this year. I love Arkane, but to me this game doesn't look as good as their other games I've played - I hope I'm wrong.
I think youll enjoy it once you play it. It prob has more in common with dishonored than prey, the timeloop mechanic takes a bit to get into/make sense of but it all really clicks after the 3rd or 4th lvl. My biggest gripe of the game would be the atrocious game menu design, very persona 5ish.

Last edited:

Jennings

I don't know what Deathloop is. I played a few hours of Psychonauts 2 on Gamepass but it's too easy and not my kind of game and I moved on to something else. I got as far as exploring a forest with some campsite containing a family caravan.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Played Psychonauts 2 on game pass. I liked it. I'll probably play Deathloop when it's cheaper. I usually don't like games where you have to die a bunch of times to make any progress.

Mr Hyde

Got Psychonauts 2 on my wish list, just got so much going on right now I never find the right time to play it. Loved the first one so I think I'll love this one too. Deathloop looks boring and uninteresting. Not a fan of Arkane and the games they make.

Honestly both Psychonauts and Ratchet and Clank was too similar. Didn’t like either of them. I just wish there was more platformers like Mario.

Banned
Honestly both Psychonauts and Ratchet and Clank was too similar. Didn’t like either of them. I just wish there was more platformers like Mario.

? wtf ?
Ratchet and Clank isn't even a platformer... it's a 3rd person shooter with mild platforming. play it, set it to the highest difficulty and that shiz plays like a 3rd person Pixar Doom

these 2 are not comparable in any way IMO

Last edited:

Camreezie

Platinumed Deathloop , so I played about 30 hours of it. It was on deep discount before the end of last year that's usually a solid indicator sales haven't been great less than two months from launch.
Player the first couple of hours of Psychonauts 2 on Gamepass and it seemed pretty damn good. Although I'm assuming sales for that arent gonna be great either with gamepass not counting for numbers

tommib

Bought both. Played Deathloop and still to finish Psy2. Both amazing games with unique art styles. They deserve all the praise they can get.

Lognor

Banned
I played and loved Psychonauts 2. It didn't bomb.

Deathloop I haven't played, and yes, it did bomb. Hopefully it gets a second chance when it releases later this year on Xbox.

Robb

Gold Member
Played Psychonauts 2 and it was my GOTY 2021. Not sure what’s considered a flop for that franchise, it seems very niche so I’d assume the sales expectations weren’t all that high to begin with.

Haven’t played Deathloop yet, waiting for it to hit GamePass.

Tschumi

I'll complete Deathloop one day, it's incredible, I'm just playing games with less chance of giving my wife ideas while i play them (joke about the murderous girl on the radio)

Last edited:
Since we don't know what the expectations where of the publishers it is difficult to say if they bombed but Deathloop fell off a cliff and did anyone even talk about psychonauts?

Last edited:
Played a couple hours of Deathloop, and it just never clicked with me. The menu also is overwhelming and since it never clicked I never bothered to learn everything.

Didn’t play either. Interested in Psychonauts 2 eventually but it wasn’t a big enough game to capture my interest right away. Not likely the play Deathloop at all, unless it drops to like $5 or gets out on PS+ one day.

Top Bottom