• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 flop? who here played them?

What did you play.

• I played Deathloop, not Psychonauts 2.

Votes: 62 12.9%
  • I played Psychonauts 2, not Deathloop.

Votes: 168 35.0%
  • I played both.

Votes: 70 14.6%
  • I played neither.

Votes: 180 37.5%

• Total voters

GymWolf

Played deathloop at launch, good game with the usual god tier level design, but worse arkane games in a while.

Arkane games never sold well, that's probably why they started redfall as a multyplayer project (that can be played in single thanks to god).

Last edited:

Arun1910

Deathloop was really fun but it isn't a "normal" AAA game. The resetting of the timeloop, finding clues, resetting... for people who didn't know this would be the case they probably bought it and dropped it.

yamaci17

psycho 2 was a phenomenal experience

i've yet to play deathloop though but im very interested with arkane titles in general. im waiting for that sweet game pass drop

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I have yet to really play them but tried both at different friend's houses and they are on my radar but probably for next year or even after, I have to much to do.

Amiga

Rarely play Day1 games now. I wait for sales or until I run out of my backlog. Final Fantasy Stranger in Paradise and Horizon FW are the only expected full price buys for me in 2022(and GOW:R if it makes it this year).

Holammer

Did they flop? I don't think so.
Gonna buy Psychonauts 2 eventually. No way I'm coughing up full price at 59,99 for it when it's featured on game pass, that really did a number on its perceived value.

So, am I getting Game Pass or Deathloop?

lotr-ring.gif

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Pass until Gamepass

Psychonauts 2 I've tried but my mood doesn't sync yet. 💩

And I don't like the art style. To THC induced psychosis for me =_

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Platinum trophies on both for me. Fantastic games.

Deathloop is seriously under rated, partly because the marketing seemed set on making it our to be something it wasn't. I had a great time with what it was.

NickFire

Platinum trophies on both for me. Fantastic games.

Deathloop is seriously under rated, partly because the marketing seemed set on making it our to be something it wasn't. I had a great time with what it was.
The marketing gave me the impression that it was an arcade shooter that looped. I'm not sure if that impression was accurate or not since it didn't draw me into purchase territory. Looked like more of a technical showcase to me than something I would play long term.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've not played anything since June,I'm on a break......but being a big fan of Dishonored and Prey,from what I've seen of Deathloop it looks like a bit of a quick asset flip on the Dishonored formula.....I was looking forward to it but don't think I'll be playing it now when I do resume gaming.Not really interested in Psychonauts 2 either tbh.

Ridaxan

I enjoyed Deathloop a LOT. Arkane is one of my favourite developers. I haven't even played the original Psychonauts, so I doubt I'll ever get around to the sequel.

Ammogeddon

Zero interest in either. I only played Psychonauts 2 because it was on Game Pass. Played about an hour of it then deleted it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I picked up both, but I haven't played Deathloop yet. Have a few games I am in the middle of and wanted to get through them first.

Loved the hell out of Psychonauts, blasted through it in less than a week, probably my favorite game of the year.

I am looking forward to Deathloop and love Arkane but for whatever reason I jumped into other games first.

In terms of "success" I think MS was probably pretty happy with the engagement P2 got on GamePass and the critical accolades, so I don't know that sales figures matter so much.

It's pretty clear that Deathloop didn't sell as well as they had hoped. But with Arkane as an MS owned studio now I don't think that's going to have a big impact.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I enjoyed Deathloop a LOT. Arkane is one of my favourite developers. I haven't even played the original Psychonauts, so I doubt I'll ever get around to the sequel.
It was 20 years between games, so they recap the story in the sequel. You don't need to play the first game, however it had some super amazing levels!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not into roguelike, Returnal was an exception due to its lore and overall setup. Psychonauts 2 is a PS4 game with no PS5 version. Might give them a try when they hit PS Plus free monthly games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Played both, finished Deathloop and uninstalled. I just couldn't keep going with Psychonauts 2. Tried to love it and it has it's charm, but ultimately not my thing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not into roguelike, Returnal was an exception due to its lore and overall setup. Psychonauts 2 is a PS4 game with no PS5 version. Might give them a try when they hit PS Plus free monthly games.
Deathloop isn't a roguelike.

It's based around a looping feature sure, but it's far from a roguelike.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
If Psychonauts 2 had a PS5 version I would've bought it at some point, as I like the unique art style. Deathloop from the game play, reviews and endless trailers did nothing for me in any shape or form.

I really couldn't get into Deathloop. Between the floaty gunplay and the constant conversation that I'd miss, I gave up after a few hours. I bought the hype hard for that one...
Like what I played of Psychonauts but didn't finish it.
Glad each were on sale otherwise, rage.

Certinty

I feel like I'm the only one but Psychonauts 2 bored me just a few hours in. I don't even know why, it just did and I never wanted to jump back in again.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
My gaming interests seem to rarely line up with what people are commonly praising or hyping. Both games look well made with all attempts to be refreshing/different, but just aren't what I am interested in.

It seems like Psychonauts 2 is the more competently made and fun game, just from the letsplays, reviews I've watched, and even the general sentiment of comments here.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I just learnt that Psychonauts 2 is digital only, that alone would stop me purchasing the game. Why wouldn't there be a physical copy for sale, was there any reason given?

Notabueno

Banned
Played Deathloop, simply the best thing that released in the period and one of the best of the year, but far from perfect.

I have to get to Psychonauts 2.

Unk Adams

Banned
I just learnt that Psychonauts 2 is digital only, that alone would stop me purchasing the game. Why wouldn't there be a physical copy for sale, was there any reason given?
MS really seems to be pushing towards digital more than any other company. It seems like a way for them to gradually start phasing out physical products by not releasing disc versions of their non "AAA" games.

People don’t realize how much damage Deathloop has done. Not only did it finish off destroying any semblance of credibility mainstream review sites had, the money hatting makes is such that Arkane has to make a sequel to that half baked preemie.

Dishonored and Prey were absolutely among the very best games of last gen and this thing that seemed like a $39 pet project has changed the trajectory of the entire company and therefore, our gaming fates as players.

We’ve all lost dozens of future quality gaming hours because of this marketing-fed partially aborted fetus. Shame. Shame indeed.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am not interested in roguelikes, so I skipped Deathloop. The gameplay also looked pretty mundane from the 4,781 trailers and previews they showed.

I was gifted Psychonauts 2 for Christmas I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It's one of the many games in my backlog I am putting off until I can try them on my Steam Deck.

Majukun

started psychonaus 2 but then got sidetracked by my quest 2
also now it needs an update but have no space on my hdd

Played both, beat neither, which is hardly a surprise for me. I'm not normally a 3d platformer guy, but Psychonauts 2 was a very well crafted one.
Deathloop I've gotta get back to. I love rougelikes, so I figured the time loop gimmick would be right up my alley. I loved Prey and Dishonored, but I bounced off Deathloop pretty hard the first time I played it.

Duchess

Didn't play either, but planning to at some point.

(looks, with great trepidation, at backlog, the beast that simply cannot be slain ...)

ButchCat

Deathloop is a great albeit flawed game but enjoyed it immensely, I know it gets a lot of hate here but if you go in with an open mind I guarantee you you'll enjoy it. I played Pyshonaughts 2 but never finished it, the game's art is pretty to look at but the gameplay is poor but then again I never played the first one.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I tried psychonauts 2 for maybe an hour on GP but got bored fast and uninstalled. Will wait for deathloop to come to GP but I’m not really looking forward to it either.

I love Psychonauts 2, I even got all achievements which is not something I normally do. I haven't tried Deathloop since I don't have a PS5. I'll probably play it when it hits GamePass later this year. I love Dishonored 1&2 so I'm excited to try Deathloop.

Top Bottom