• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Super Nintendo actually win the 16-Bit war?

Did the SNES beat out Blast Processing?

• No, Sega moved on to the Saturn.

Votes: 69 16.0%
  • Yes, the SNES outperformed the Genesis commercially.

Votes: 361 84.0%

• Total voters

Hero_Select

The poll is as lopsided as the quality of SNES games vs Genesis and there's still like three people in here going: "Well AcKTHuaLLY" lol

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well the sales figures speak for themselves....you didn't need a 32x add-on to experience pseudo 32 bit gaming, when you had the likes of Donkey Kong Country running without a Super FX chip....
Why would anyone think a pure 2D game like DKC needs a super fx type chip? Toy Story has similar sprites-out-of-renders visuals and is fine on both SNES and Mega Drive. It's just 2D games like any. Purely pixel art/drawn 2D games of the era look much better than either this or DKC to be honest.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Well the sales figures speak for themselves....you didn't need a 32x add-on to experience pseudo 32 bit gaming, when you had the likes of Donkey Kong Country running without a Super FX chip....
It was impressive indeed.
The pseudo 3D tech was in fact possible on all 16 bits though.(Toy Story used the same on both Snes and Megadrive)

I didn't enjoy 32X but it was real 3D.

Alexios Alexios
Burn. 😁

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
The Genesis is winning even today. New games are coming out constantly, with tools like deflemask and the SGDK people can easily get their homebrew up and running on it without needing to rely on knowing 68000 asm.

The SNES is just a frustrating abomination built around the 65816. A half retarded 8/16-bit piece of shit nobody sane wants to deal with.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Here's a SNES game that looks very Mega Drive-like. The shmup levels also have sections with a ton of sprites with seemingly no slowdown and there are some giant bosses. Axelay also has some cool effects. Hagane looks like it trounces any console Shinobi (but nothing beats the arcade original).

On MD Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes etc. look superb. I'm impressed by Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II not making it obvious it lacks good sprite scaling, it looks and plays very smooth and the mirror is cool. Also the semi 3D Kawasaki Superbike Challenge and the F1 game on that engine.

The latter also has a mode with lower visuals (idk, the view is the same, elements just appear smaller?) and much faster frame rate but I can't find very good footage of that (but this will do). Either way it's pretty impressive for pre-3D consoles. But SNES has many more great racing games itself.

The famous Genesis Batman 3D effects are cool but I hate the characters and such are still in their side scrolling form, it looks lazy when it should be anything but, they should have done a back view with some altered gameplay, I dunno, like the Sonic special stages or Space Harrier or something.

Speaking of Sonic, 3D Blast is pretty cool as another game that seemingly uses renders for 2D visuals, kinda like Super Mario RPG. Maybe it's the best/smoothest looking of the bunch even, but that kinda makes sense as it's far more limited than most other games too. Well, it's striking at a glance.
The Genesis is winning even today. New games are coming out constantly, with tools like deflemask and the SGDK people can easily get their homebrew up and running on it without needing to rely on knowing 68000 asm.

The SNES is just a frustrating abomination built around the 65816. A half retarded 8/16-bit piece of shit nobody sane wants to deal with.
Meh, most of those commercial games wouldn't make it on real platforms with truly great retro games so they bank on Genesis (and other platform like Dreamcast) nostalgia to drive profits. There are more NES new games than SNES even, does it win over 16bit, especially given sales? Indeed?

The SNES scene is also active but is more confined to romhacks for new content/sequel-type games to existing great games and fan translations for the many unreleased to the west great games. Or vast improvements to games like SFA2. Maybe it's just harder to get good dev tools on it? Idk.

Sega aldo did wonders with Phantasy Star 4
Please guys, I love Sega but nobody in his right mind thinks Phantasy Star post 8bit holds any candle to the big JRPGs. It looks OK but the story's presented hilariously bad and the gameplay is nothing to write home about. I wish I liked it more but I was super disappointed when I finally got IV.

I'm almost questioning the bad rep III has because how much worse can it be if IV, the so called grand return to from from the real series dev, is already this bad? But I probably shouldn't try it, lol. I was truly shocked given its good reputation. Best of the gen my ass. If it was on a machine with many great JRPG's nobody would remember it, if Sega had even pursued making it to begin with. It has a couple good RPGs in the form of Shining Force II and Shadowrun at least. Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor is nice too but not nearly as good as Zelda or Mana games, even if the sprites are nice & large.

Final Fight has too simple gameplay even on arcade, SNES has better beat 'em ups/ports like Knights of the Round among several others. Also other cool action games like Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors (arcade perfect? This is miles better than it!). There's no shortage of greats in any genre really.

Last edited:

yurinka

SEGA did not claim anything, sales numbers are taken from incomplete periods and not WW. But this was already discussed in the thread, so simply read it.
The 30.75M Mega Drives sold comes from the CESA (Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association, the Japanese videogames trade association) reports, which are made with the data provided by their members. In this case, Sega. So yes, it's an official Sega claim. And it's the most recent one.

Wl1BCwY.jpeg

Also Sega reported directly to Famitsu numbers like 26.46M in the fiscal year that ended in 1995 or 28.54M for the FY that ended in 1996, months before Sega discontinuing Mega Drive the next year. So it matches with the 30.75M data.

We have later numbers from Majesco (1.5M estimate) or Tec Toy (3M) but as I said we don't know how many of these 4.5M are included in the 30.75M data from Sega.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

@Alexos
No i didn't... 😁It was months ago, i was talking of today's discussion and you forgot the context, i said right before your quote :

".Camelot and Climax struggled with RPGs against Square, Enix"

Meaning the Genesis cannot match the Snes with RPGs (even if "Sega did wonders with Phantasy Star 4" yeah)

Context is crucial.
My main point was (august message...) the Genesis cannot beat the snes's rpgs but fought well.(Sega also released Shining Forces, The Hybrid Front as for Strategy, Soleil there were a lot of good games)

PS: Super Famicom is dope for RPGs but euro Nintendo fans have no rights to speak, there was almost no RPGs localization in europe 😆

Last edited:

Drell

The thing is, however big your sales number are, what's important (or was back then) is that most japanese publishers (and especially big ones) make games for you. And while Sega got some games from Konami and Capcom on the Megadrive (that they sometimes had to port themselves), these companies were all for Nintendo. Why? Probably because Nintendo had some deals with them, but also because the Megadrive was largely outsold in japan. They weren't even second because even the PC-Engine was selling better over there.
And so, while the Megadrive was slightly beating the SNES in the US and Europe for some years. The fact it was losing in Japan made Sega hurrying to sale their next console: the Saturn. All of this despite having an excellent 16bit console selling well in the west and leaving the entire market to Nintendo. That same company that made one last big hit with DKC and slowly but surely made the N64. Not the winner of this next generation, but a console that was still profitable for Nintendo, while Sega was losing more and more money.

Fat Frog

The 30.75M Mega Drives sold comes from the CESA (Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association, the Japanese videogames trade association) reports, which are made with the data provided by their members. In this case, Sega. So yes, it's an official Sega claim. And it's the most recent one.

Also Sega reported directly to Famitsu numbers like 26.46M in the fiscal year that ended in 1995 or 28.54M for the FY that ended in 1996, months before Sega discontinuing Mega Drive the next year. So it matches with the 30.75M data.

We have later numbers from Majesco (1.5M estimate) or Tec Toy (3M) but as I said we don't know how many of these 4.5M are included in the 30.75M data from Sega.
I think we should all check various forums like this with many informations or fake news.
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/...-the-Total-Sega-Genesis-Hardware-Sales-Number

It seems there were 2 millions Megadrive in Brazil in 2009 and 3 millions in 2012...
I also think licensed Megadrive (like AT) are still on the current market. It still growing...

Hero_Select

Fat Frog

Sad that all these die-hard Sega fans didn't show up for the Genesis Mini compared to the SNES Mini.
Speaking of which... 😁
Yeah, the Snes mini is overall a good product with an extremely solid library of classics but what a boring selection 😆:

Super Mario World, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby...woooooooooo, breathtaking. No licence games, no beatemups, no shmups and don't tell me you'll often play Secret of mana and mario RPG. Bullshit 😆 You'll play 5 minutes and that's it.

At least, Megadrive Mini's games are meant to be played for short sessions.(There are a lot of arcade games, sometimes crappy games yeah but a lot of fun, Disney Games, many hidden gems to discover.)

There are more flaws than the Snes Mini but also much more surprises and fun.

Snes Mini: 👍🏻 and... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Megadrive Mini(s): BANG 🥳OUCH, 🤯WTF !? 🔥WOW ! 😍What is that shit ! 😡🤪AWESOME ! This is life. This is Sega.

Last edited:
The Sega Saturn has 3 times the library of the Nintendo 64 with much more balance...

Of course, Sega did mistake before the playstation but you don't realize how Sega could have performed two years without the PSX (N64 arrived in 97 in the US):

- No Textured Tekken to humiliate raw poly Virtua Fighter in the eye of the mainstream gamers.

- No inferior Psygnosis blockbusters like Destruction on Saturn, it would have been temporary exclusive and impressive for most people.

Sega misrepresented their library, made odd business decisions, and put games that wouldn't drive mass appeal to their consoles. That's what caused the lead to widen with Sony, and then in 1996 came out strong with the 3D gaming hype that was misfiring on the Saturn, that wouldn't have changed if the PSX wasn't there, there wouldn't have been a substantial increase in the amount of gamers buying a Saturn for Panzer, VF, and Clockwork Night in the US just because the PSX wasn't there. It took some time for PSX to get it's heavy hitters starting with the likes of Crash and Resident Evil with a growing Twisted Metal, and then appealing lesser selling but still popular selling titles like Cool Boarders, Jet moto, Namco Museum etc.

Sony was putting out the appealing games, they gave third parties a shared spot light with their own Pp and 2nd party deals, Sega did not, Sega was also difficult to develop for, they had few follow-ups early on to popular Genesis games or non at all depending on the series, and really made some baffling decisions of what to take up Saturn coverage.

Tekken 1 btw wasn't that hot of the game, the series only started taking hold in the UD with Tekken 2 which still was a slow build. It was Tekken 3 where the franchise grew to become big. Tekken not being there in the US on the PSX would have just ended up somewhere else. Even if Tekken didn't exist it wouldn't have really improved VF lack of status in the US that it had in Japan. Not to mention Tekken 1 and VF2 weren't far apart in US release dates.

A multiverse without the PSX would have meant 2 years full of exclusives and without rivals:

Maybe in Japan, but not in the US where the N64 came out sooner than that. Although then 3DO and the M2 come into play in both countries without the PSX which would have higher 3rd party support than the Saturn and with SOJ going nuts they would dominate western support with two easier to develop for consoles. One affordable and stronger than the Saturn, one cheaper and competitive with the early Saturn library. This is the thing people forget about with a hypothetical "no Sony" scenario. Sony actually ended up in Japan and elsewhere pushing people out or forcing them to compete on price until they ran out of cash. Many of Sega's issues during and right before the Saturn were mostly Sega's fault with minor (comparatively) involvement with Sony.

A multiverse without the PSX would have meant 2 years full of exclusives and without rivals:

- Psygnosys AAA temporary exclusives for Sega (Destruction Derby)
- Tombraider temporary exclusive.
- A true opportunity for Sega Arcade Classics to shine on console (Virtua Fighter, Daytona, overlooked by many because less impressive than Tekken and Ridge Racer on PSX...VF2 impressed gamers though but it was a bit late for many people who already bought the Playstation).

The issue had nothing to do with overshadowing (at least in the US) you are contributing higher sales and higher consoles moving ability to those games then they actually did.

Also Tekken 1 and VF2 came out less than a month apart in the US, while the Saturn was still competitive and it wasn't obvious where the gen was going because the industry was in a slump at the time and people were questioning the lack of larger migrations to next gen.

Pob was Playstation did more or less the same with better graphics, better marketing and cheaper console.
That's it.

No, as I said above, along with several other factors, Saturn was not the "same" as the PS but with weaker graphics. Yes the PS had better marketing but that's discounting the various opportunities Sega didn't think of or didn't bother with that they could have ti improve the perception and sales of their games and their consoles.

In japan you might have a slightly better case here but not in the US. Granted even in Japan Sega made several mistakes that ended up causing it's sales to fall flat, but they were at least a lot more competitive for longer even with those mistakes the first few years. Sega in the US quickly lost any competitive edge and ran themselves over multiple times, Sony picked at a few wounds at best.

Also pouring a lot of money to sell hardware in things that weren't themselves games, wasn't the smartest idea either, Netlink etc.

Romulus

The Sega Saturn has 3 times the library of the Nintendo 64 with much more balance...

Of course, Sega did mistake before the playstation but you don't realize how Sega could have performed two years without the PSX (N64 arrived in 97 in the US):

- No Textured Tekken to humiliate raw poly Virtua Fighter in the eye of the mainstream gamers.

- No inferior Psygnosis blockbusters like Destruction on Saturn, it would have been temporary exclusive and impressive for most people.

- Psygnosys AAA temporary exclusives for Sega (Destruction Derby)
- Tombraider temporary exclusive.
- A true opportunity for Sega Arcade Classics to shine on console (Virtua Fighter, Daytona, overlooked by many because less impressive than Tekken and Ridge Racer on PSX...VF2 impressed gamers though but it was a bit late for many people who already bought the Playstation).

What games are you talking about then ?
There are more racers on the Saturn than N64, there are enough Sport games (Sega + Visual Concepts who developed for the Saturn)
Fighters are ten times better on the Saturn.
FPS ? There are good games on the Saturn as well with the Lobotomy trinity : Power Slave, Duke Nukem, Quake...

Maybe 3D platformers, the Saturn is weak if you compare to Rare and Nintendo games.
For the rest there are enough genre on Saturn to seduce the US like they did with the Genesis...

Pob was Playstation did more or less the same with better graphics, better marketing and cheaper console.
That's it.

I think stuff like Zelda, Perfect Dark, Star Wars Rogue Squardon, Conker, Wave Race, and 007 just felt like it was in a completely different universe than what could be accomplished on Saturn.
Now I was a big Panzer and Gun Griffin fan, so I understand the appeal, but the N64 had this technological grunt that we could see a really deep glimpse into the next generation. At the time it was just amazing. The depth Zelda had with its open world was just mind melting. I had never experienced a 3d world like that with layers of polish.
Also, n64 is underrated in terms of racers. It may had less but even stuff like DKC was just amazing quality. Felt like an arcade theme park Racer at home

Last edited:

yurinka

I think we should all check various forums like this with many informations or fake news.
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/...-the-Total-Sega-Genesis-Hardware-Sales-Number

It seems there were 2 millions Megadrive in Brazil in 2009 and 3 millions in 2012...
I also think licensed Megadrive (like AT) are still on the current market. It still growing...

I prefer to check the real official numbers posted by the companies, who are the ones who know their numbers. Sega posted the numbers I mentioned in the yearly CESA and Famitsu reports I mentioned and double checked.

Tec Toy mentioned the 3 million mark both in 2012 and 2015, so shouldn't have moved from that. But we don't konw how many of them are already included in the millions counted by Sega as happens with other licensed brands.

Regarding ATgames as far as I know there aren't sales data available.

dcx4610

They definitely won the 16-bit war but the Genesis did far better than it had any right to and competed well to the end. The equivalence would be the 360 coming out and then still managing to compete with the PS4 for a bit. Genesis (counting the Megadrive) came out 2 years earlier and tech changed wildly every year. For it to have a better CPU and manage to run games like Street Fighter 2 at 60fps was pretty amazing. SNES had the better color palette and sound chip but it's the Genesis CPU that really kept it alive and competitive.

Going by sales, Genesis lost ground quickly and Nintendo won by a healthy margin every year until...Mortal Kombat (also Sonic 2 if I remember correctly). When Sega started outselling them, they changed their tune quickly on violence and then caught up again and never lost ground after.

From personal experience, I had the Genesis when it came out and loved it but once the SNES came out, there was really no back going. I'd get the occasional Sega exclusive like Sonic and Golden Axe but most of my time was on the SNES. It just felt (and was) the more advanced system and an upgrade to the Genesis. I did however loved renting Genesis games to compare to the SNES version. Sometimes the Genesis version played better and faster thanks to the CPU and had interesting music but the color palette always turned me off and felt outdated.

Still the best generation of my life but it's totally nostalgia speaking.

Last edited:
But still like I said... never won a generation.
EDIT: They never beat Sony.

Very likely they did with the 360.

But regardless, you aren't making much of a point here, Sega not winning a gen doesn't explain it's performance gap with other machines that didn't win. Sega should have been 2nd with the Saturn and it wasn't close.

They definitely won the 16-bit war but the Genesis did far better than it had any right to and competed well to the end. The equivalence would be the 360 coming out and then still managing to compete with the PS4 for a bit. Genesis (counting the Megadrive) came out 2 years earlier and tech changed wildly every year. For it to have a better CPU and manage to run games like Street Fighter 2 at 60fps was pretty amazing. SNES had the better color palette and sound chip but it's the Genesis CPU that really kept it alive and competitive.

Going by sales, Genesis lost ground quickly and Nintendo won by a healthy margin every year until...Mortal Kombat (also Sonic 2 if I remember correctly). When Sega started outselling them, they changed their tune quickly on violence and then caught up again and never lost ground after.

From personal experience, I had the Genesis when it came out and loved it but once the SNES came out, there was really no back going. I'd get the occasional Sega exclusive like Sonic and Golden Axe but most of my time was on the SNES. It just felt (and was) the more advanced system and an upgrade to the Genesis. I did however loved renting Genesis games to compare to the SNES version. Sometimes the Genesis version played better and faster thanks to the CPU and had interesting music but the color palette always turned me off and felt outdated.

Still the best generation of my life but it's totally nostalgia speaking.

Consoles were cutting corners for profits and to make money on the games so the weaknesses of the SNES hardware made sense, it was even made with expandability in mind from the start.

It really wasn't until the 3DO PSX generation where we started seeing loss leaders on hardware become the primary entrants. Before that consoles (outside niche ones) weren't doing that.

dcx4610

Consoles were cutting corners for profits and to make money on the games so the weaknesses of the SNES hardware made sense, it was even made with expandability in mind from the start.

It really wasn't until the 3DO PSX generation where we started seeing loss leaders on hardware become the primary entrants. Before that consoles (outside niche ones) weren't doing that.

I didn't really know it at the time but SNES' CPU is significantly weaker than the Genesis. Now, it makes sense seeing sports games and a lot of fast paced gamers running at a higher frame rate on the Genesis. It was just odd that Nintendo spent so much money on their sound and GPU and then cheaped out on the CPU. I guess they just figured it was good enough and they were mostly right considering most games still ran at 60fps.

You are right though. I think they were banking on helper chips and expansion down the line if needed.

What upset me the most was when Sega brought out the 32x. I thought - awesome. Now they are going to be able to compete directly with the SNES hardware if not surpass. Then you end up getting games that still looked and sounded like Genesis games. The color palette even though it was as if not more capable than the SNES, they didn't use it and despite the audio quality being improved, it still had the same Genesis sound chip. Just utterly disappointing when Sega really could have caught up if they invested in it.

S0ULZB0URNE

Very likely they did with the 360.

But regardless, you aren't making much of a point here, Sega not winning a gen doesn't explain it's performance gap with other machines that didn't win. Sega should have been 2nd with the Saturn and it wasn't close.
We aren't cause a higher priced PS3 that came out a year later caught and then surpassed that companies console.

Fat Frog

Regarding ATgames as far as I know there aren't sales data available.
The 2017 AT MD was garbage but it seems the 2019 revision is ok.

I wonder which licensed Megadrive are still on the market in 2022 ? What brand ?

Futaleufu

The best thing about the 16 bit era was the huge ammount of gaming hardware available, between handhelds, consoles and computers you had dozens of choices depending on how much you wanted to spend on gaming.

What upset me the most was when Sega brought out the 32x. I thought - awesome. Now they are going to be able to compete directly with the SNES hardware if not surpass. Then you end up getting games that still looked and sounded like Genesis games. The color palette even though it was as if not more capable than the SNES, they didn't use it and despite the audio quality being improved, it still had the same Genesis sound chip. Just utterly disappointing when Sega really could have caught up if they invested in it.

It's the same problem the Atari jaguar had, whats the point of all that 32/64 bit hardware if your biggest rom cartridge is 4 megabytes. WWF Wrestlemania is a 4 megabyte rom in both the Genesis and 32x ports, how do you expect to improve graphics and sound while not putting extra data there?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sales and profits yes.

Games, it depends on the genre. I had both systems and Genesis was way better for sports and it had the backing of shitloads of Sega arcade and action games. SNES games were better for JRPG (which I didn't care for), Mario is way better than Sonic, SFII is better on SNES and their best shooters are better than Genesis' best (Konami shooters vs. Thunder Force/MUSHA).

My fav games were.

Genesis
- Shinobi games
- Streets of Rage II
- Thunder Force games
- EA Sports
- Sega Sports

SNES
- SF II
- Konami shooters Contra, Axelay, Cybernator
- Mario games

cireza

Banned
Please guys, I love Sega but nobody in his right mind thinks Phantasy Star post 8bit holds any candle to the big JRPGs
Well you should check again because Phantasy Star IV is considered by many the best JRPG from this era (and Phantasy Star II is a 1989 masterpiece). Same with Shining Force II by the way. And then you have Lunar Eternal Blue on SEGA-CD. Nothing comparable was ever released in Europe on SNES, by the way...

I think you don't exactly understand the concept of an "add-on". The 32X was never meant to be a full fledged console to begin with. It was made to work with the MegaDrive, and it was very cleverly built actually (like all SEGA hardware anyway). But even with this aspect taken into account, games certainly did not look like MegaDrive games at all. Unless the MegaDrive can handle 3D natively (Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars...) which I am not aware off. Even super scaler games are mighty impressive on the 32X and absolutely unthinkable on the MegaDrive. And there is Doom as well...

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

Wl1BCwY.jpeg

This source is completely questionable, displaying incomplete time period and missing regions. We don't have details by region by the way in this table (how convenient), because doing this would strongly invalidate the veracity of it.

Accepting the fact that we don't know for sure is a possibility. Rather than relying on wrong data.

Exact sales numbers are utterly pointless anyway. We perfectly get the picture that SEGA took half of the market in US and Europe from Nintendo.

Last edited:
It's a legitimate answer. Here's The Genesis on life support:

sm-SEGA-cd-2-Genesis-1-32X-Front-gametrog.jpg

Its pathetic. The SNES needed extra chips in carts almost from day one and if notf or the mess up with SONY the SNES would have had its CD dribe Add-On to go along with its Satelliteaview and Super Gameboy Add ons.

The less said about the 32X the better mind LOL
The Mega-CD is awesome by the way. Fantastic add-on and great hardware embedded, which led to many great games. SEGA really new their stuff back then. It was a great complementary offer next to the MegaDrive, with a big focus on content and quality soundtracks. It was certainly not making MegaDrive useless nor deprecated.
It is. The trouble with the Mega CD and to a point the Saturn. The ones with the most to say about them and hate them, tend to the ones, who ever owned them or didn't bother much with them

Last edited:

yurinka

This source is completely questionable, displaying incomplete time period and missing regions. We don't have details by region by the way in this table (how convenient), because doing this would strongly invalidate the veracity of it.

Accepting the fact that we don't know for sure is a possibility. Rather than relying on wrong data.

Exact sales numbers are utterly pointless anyway. We perfectly get the picture that SEGA took half of the market in US and Europe from Nintendo.
There's nothing questionable on it. It's posting the official numbers available in 2011.

Nintendo numbers and Sega official numbers posted after they discontinued their consoles on their own numbers from fiscal numbers posted on internal reports, Famitsu and CESA are not questionable or incomplete numbers. They are facts, the real official numbers.

According to Nintendo SNES sold LTD after having discontinued it 49.1M worldwide, 17.17M in Japan, 23.35M in the Americas and 8.58M in the rest of the world. According to Sega they sold LTD after having discontinued it 30.75M MD worldwide, 3.59M in Japan, 19M in the Americas, and 8.16M in the rest of the world. These are the official numbers: SNES sold more than MD in all markets even if they were pretty tied in the 'rest of the world', which includes Europe.

I -and most people- consider that numbers of other consoles like the recent minis ones or unofficial clones or retro consoles shouldn't be counted. I consider that licensed clones sold after Sega discontinued could be counted but we don't have a clear number, only the 1.5M estimation from Majesco and 3M from Tec Toy but we don't know how much of them were already counted in the Sega numbers because it's fair to assume part or them are from before Sega discontinued it. So the officual MD number is 30.75M but being very generous could be extended to aprox. until around maybe 35M. These are the facts, official numbers from unquestionable official sources.

Other than that we only have annonimous forum posters posting guesses mentioning numbers with no sources, so are questionable sources.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
They are facts, the real official numbers.
Yes, they are official incomplete numbers. Latest official numbers are from March 1996. This is incomplete and we don't know how it accounts for the various models.

It doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They aren't incomplete, they cover the worldwide market and are numbers they reported years later after discontinued these consoles.

There's nothing questionable on it. It's posting the official numbers available in 2011.

Nintendo numbers and Sega official numbers posted after they discontinued their consoles on their own numbers from fiscal numbers posted on internal reports, Famitsu and CESA are not questionable or incomplete numbers. They are facts, the real official numbers.

According to Nintendo SNES sold LTD after having discontinued it 49.1M worldwide, 17.17M in Japan, 23.35M in the Americas and 8.58M in the rest of the world. According to Sega they sold LTD after having discontinued it 30.75M MD worldwide, 3.59M in Japan, 19M in the Americas, and 8.16M in the rest of the world. These are the official numbers: SNES sold more than MD in all markets even if they were pretty tied in the 'rest of the world', which includes Europe.

I -and most people- consider that numbers of other consoles like the recent minis ones or unofficial clones or retro consoles shouldn't be counted. I consider that licensed clones sold after Sega discontinued could be counted but we don't have a clear number, only the 1.5M estimation from Majesco and 3M from Tec Toy but we don't know how much of them were already counted in the Sega numbers because it's fair to assume part or them are from before Sega discontinued it. So the officual MD number is 30.75M but being very generous could be extended to aprox. until around maybe 35M. These are the facts, official numbers from unquestionable official sources.

Other than that we only have annonimous forum posters posting guesses mentioning numbers with no sources, so are questionable sources.

Yes, they are official incomplete numbers. Latest official numbers are from March 1996. This is incomplete and we don't know how it accounts for the various models.

It doesn't matter anyway.

It's been know for many years.
It does matter and the copium is real for you.

Fat Frog

I though snes was the clear winner of 16bit era, what did i missed?
What did you miss ?

In 2022, Snes is a sleeping beauty.

Genesis is still on the Market (via official licensed consoles) and receiving a shit loads of new AAA, masterpieces of pixel art and far better than big games of that era...

It's convenient for Nintendogs to ignore that second -super saiyan level 3 - life of the Genesis and convenient for the Sega lords to remind them how abandoned they are 😁.

#consolewar2022 😍

Last edited:

yurinka

Provide your source for official SEGA sales numbers dated from 2011 then.
I already mentioned it, the CESA white paper from 2011 and previous years, posted and sold on their website (physical in the past) and whose related press release notes are reported every year in Japanese magazines like Famitsu. Sega didn't modify their MD sales number from 1998 which makes sense because they had their console discontinued and later posted instead Saturn numbers instead.

CESA is the trade union for Japanese game publishers and platform holders and the yearly report they make shares the numbers provided by their members, being Sega one of their (founding) members. Meaning that their numbers are official.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What did you miss ?

In 2022, Snes is a sleeping beauty.

Genesis is still on the Market (via official licensed consoles) and receiving a shit loads of new AAA, masterpieces of pixel art and far better than big games of that era...

It's convenient for Nintendogs to ignore that second -super saiyan level 3 - life of the Genesis and convenient for the Sega lords to remind them how abandoned they are 😁.

#consolewar2022 😍
You just need to read my opinions about switch and most nintendo games to know how much of a nintendog i've been since post gamecube era when they went for the gimmick way...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

You just need to read my opinions about switch and most nintendo games to know how much of a nintendog i've been since post gamecube era when they went for the gimmick way...
Don't worry i wasn't talking about you and i love dogs anyway 😁.

Top down action shooter from the Snes era(from a big publisher):

Top down action shooter from modern SS3 Megadrive (from a little developper):

As you can see, indies on the genesis will blast process most of the library of that era in a few years. 😆

Reason is simple, during the 16bits era many developers were just employees doing their job.
Indie games on modern megadrive is passion 🥳.

Yuzo Koshiro upcoming title will be absolute dope 😎

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't worry i wasn't talking about you and i love dogs anyway 😁.

Top down action shooter from the Snes era:

Top down action shooter from modern SS3 Megadrive:

As you can see, indies on the genesis will blast process most of the library of that era in a few years. 😆

Reason is simple, during the 16bits era many developers were just employees doing their job.
Indie games on modern megadrive is passion 🥳.

Yuzo Koshiro upcoming title will be absolute dope 😎

I'm sorry but nothing on the megadrive is gonna surpass dk2 and yoshi'island as my favourite 16bit era games.

PhaseJump

Banned
Calm down kid, huge fan saw them with Layne 3 different fucking times. Just letting the dude know that Layne is the complete fucking opposite of a CHAD

Now go sit in the back you fucking poser

7a2.gif

You are a disrespectful cunt, ragging like a bitch, only seeing a junkie that OD'd when given mild praise in a thread for liking Sega games back in the day.

Yeah, I guess I'm a poser or whatever though. Again, go fuck yourself.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No issue with saying SNES is better than the genesis, god bless sega but their consoles were terrible.

Top Bottom