• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Super Nintendo actually win the 16-Bit war?

Did the SNES beat out Blast Processing?

• No, Sega moved on to the Saturn.

Votes: 69 16.0%
  • Yes, the SNES outperformed the Genesis commercially.

Votes: 361 84.0%

• Total voters
People who went SNES had happier lives and didn't end themselves with Heroin.
So that explains my late teens/early twenties in the late 90s. 💉:messenger_astonished:

It was all Sega's fault and that heavy metal and grunge music I was consuming, not peer pressure, a crazy hot girlfriend and my own bad decisions...all Sega and the genesis. .:messenger_winking_tongue: lol.

Well I guess i escaped that fate and got out, must of been because I had both consoles... SNES saved the day.
Then PlayStation 🎮 replaced all forms of bad behavior and self destructive tendencies.

PhaseJump

Banned
kmHVN0z.gif

Genesis is an awesome machine to develop for. SNES is a nightmare cobbled together by crazy people. The best thing to happen in the SNES scene is Vitor Vilela's rom hacks to run games on the SA-1, getting rid of slowdown.

There are clear pissing contests that most oldschool console warriors don't consider between retro development. Building shit around a typical 6502, Z80, 68k, and the figurative abomination of all things the 65816. In this regard, Sega clearly won. None of it actually matters though.

Drell

kmHVN0z.gif

Genesis is an awesome machine to develop for. SNES is a nightmare cobbled together by crazy people. The best thing to happen in the SNES scene is Vitor Vilela's rom hacks to run games on the SA-1, getting rid of slowdown.

There are clear pissing contests that most oldschool console warriors don't consider between retro development. Building shit around a typical 6502, Z80, 68k, and the figurative abomination of all things the 65816. In this regard, Sega clearly won. None of it actually matters though.
The slow CPU and the SA-1 hacks are one thing. But there's a second one that we shouldn't forget too. Nintendo were actually slowing down their already slow CPU even further by offering the possibility to utilize cheap slowrom chips to greedy publishers. And so, for every games utilizing these chips, the CPU had to be underclocked to 2.68 Mhz (correct me if I'm wrong about this number). There's an interresting interview from the solo dev who ported another world about this here. So yes SA1 romhacks totally eliminate slowndowns but sometimes, a simple fastrom hack greatly improve performances. I read one random comment on a gradius 3 video showcasing the fastrom hack something that is probably true: Devs were probably trying to develop games utilizing the full 3.58 Mhz and then their greedy publishers would probably come to them forcing them to use slowrom, resulting in slowdown that were maybe not there in the firstplace.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No.

In my school when I was a kid, it was the alphas who had the Mega Drive. The betas were the ones with the SNES. Mega Drive and Sega were clear winners.

We aren't cause a higher priced PS3 that came out a year later caught and then surpassed that companies console.

You have no data to support this claim.

I didn't really know it at the time but SNES' CPU is significantly weaker than the Genesis. Now, it makes sense seeing sports games and a lot of fast paced gamers running at a higher frame rate on the Genesis. It was just odd that Nintendo spent so much money on their sound and GPU and then cheaped out on the CPU. I guess they just figured it was good enough and they were mostly right considering most games still ran at 60fps.

You are right though. I think they were banking on helper chips and expansion down the line if needed.

What upset me the most was when Sega brought out the 32x. I thought - awesome. Now they are going to be able to compete directly with the SNES hardware if not surpass. Then you end up getting games that still looked and sounded like Genesis games. The color palette even though it was as if not more capable than the SNES, they didn't use it and despite the audio quality being improved, it still had the same Genesis sound chip. Just utterly disappointing when Sega really could have caught up if they invested in it.

There were games (mostly 3D but some 2D) that showed the 32X was worth it for current owners, but within months Sega already started pulling support (SOJ anyway) and didn't bother trying to make deals with retailers for further distributions and just stopped talking to developers which ended up killing it quickly, burning near a million customers who brought it (over 750k iirc and who knows how much retailer pissed off discounted inventory after) and potential onlookers.

They needed a hardware revision that could play the same games as a normal genesis but with more sprite capabilities, a better GPU, and more color. In Japan NEC made adjustments to their hardware with their expansions to try and stay competitive Sega didn't really do that. The Sega CD improved capabilities but Sega's goal with the CD wasn't the same as NEC's, and the 32X was way too late.

It's the same problem the Atari jaguar had, whats the point of all that 32/64 bit hardware if your biggest rom cartridge is 4 megabytes. WWF Wrestlemania is a 4 megabyte rom in both the Genesis and 32x ports, how do you expect to improve graphics and sound while not putting extra data there?

Atari were masters of cramming big games in 4-6MB carts so that wasn't really the issue, even their CD games with audio and video reduced or removes and switched out can be reformatted to fit on a 4-6MB cartridge that reviewers though could only be possible on CD storage, in fact one game Iron Soldier 2, and one other did exactly this and got a cartridge releases as well as the CD version.

Atari's problem was the restrictions and limitations with their conflicting and poorly optimized hardware which included elements from about 3 different companies, and shared the same BUS, which itself wouldn't be a bad thing if not every chip was trying to use it at once, and certain tech that uses the bus takes up 30-50% of it without much reason, making it so you could only use part of the hardware at once, or to stall and then have what's using the BUS switch.

They still got a lot more out of then they should have even with these problems. For 3D. For 2D the consoles was somewhat well optimized and had some pretty good sprite capabilities but Atari was late on making those tools easy so early on you had lazy, though upscaled and more animated/colorful ports of Amiga games, or new 2D games using Amiga (or ST) tools enhanced for the Jaguar, eventually they started getting great 2D games to start showing off the capabilites, but by then Atari wanted to force developers to do 3D with effects the consoles was not optimized to do well, or limited on (textured solids, and mapping) because they thought that it would help their console.

Of course, that was what Atari told people and devs, truthfully they never had the money to support or produce the system. Jaguar could have had the PSX's 1996 library from launch and outside maybe 1% more it still was going to sell less than 250k units.

S0ULZB0URNE

You have no data to support this claim.

There were games (mostly 3D but some 2D) that showed the 32X was worth it for current owners, but within months Sega already started pulling support (SOJ anyway) and didn't bother trying to make deals with retailers for further distributions and just stopped talking to developers which ended up killing it quickly, burning near a million customers who brought it (over 750k iirc and who knows how much retailer pissed off discounted inventory after) and potential onlookers.

They needed a hardware revision that could play the same games as a normal genesis but with more sprite capabilities, a better GPU, and more color. In Japan NEC made adjustments to their hardware with their expansions to try and stay competitive Sega didn't really do that. The Sega CD improved capabilities but Sega's goal with the CD wasn't the same as NEC's, and the 32X was way too late.

Atari were masters of cramming big games in 4-6MB carts so that wasn't really the issue, even their CD games with audio and video reduced or removes and switched out can be reformatted to fit on a 4-6MB cartridge that reviewers though could only be possible on CD storage, in fact one game Iron Soldier 2, and one other did exactly this and got a cartridge releases as well as the CD version.

Atari's problem was the restrictions and limitations with their conflicting and poorly optimized hardware which included elements from about 3 different companies, and shared the same BUS, which itself wouldn't be a bad thing if not every chip was trying to use it at once, and certain tech that uses the bus takes up 30-50% of it without much reason, making it so you could only use part of the hardware at once, or to stall and then have what's using the BUS switch.

They still got a lot more out of then they should have even with these problems. For 3D. For 2D the consoles was somewhat well optimized and had some pretty good sprite capabilities but Atari was late on making those tools easy so early on you had lazy, though upscaled and more animated/colorful ports of Amiga games, or new 2D games using Amiga (or ST) tools enhanced for the Jaguar, eventually they started getting great 2D games to start showing off the capabilites, but by then Atari wanted to force developers to do 3D with effects the consoles was not optimized to do well, or limited on (textured solids, and mapping) because they thought that it would help their console.

Of course, that was what Atari told people and devs, truthfully they never had the money to support or produce the system. Jaguar could have had the PSX's 1996 library from launch and outside maybe 1% more it still was going to sell less than 250k units.
It has been posted numerous times over the years.
As a dweller I even read it here.

Simple Google...

https://hypebeast.com/2021/8/nintendo-switch-outsells-ps3-and-xbox-360

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/who-finally-won-ps3-or-xbox-360/

August 2022
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101914/unit-sales-xbox-360-region/
August 2022
PS3
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101879/unit-sales-playstation-3-region/

No sales for the 360's LTD have been reported. You do not have the data to make the claim. Fake made up estimates based on guesses without data is also not data. Statista says the 360 sold 85.8 Million, 360 sold 84 million in June 2014, and just in the US from then through December sold over 1 million units making this number in possible, especially when including worldwide, and that's not even bringing 2015 and 2016 sales into the equation.

People keep saying it won only because MS hasn't posted final LTD yet and are making up numbers that try to make the 360 look like it's notably behind but it contradicts last known figures in some regions just for 2014 alone.

Sega opened the door for western developers. Who then proceeded to turn the industry into shit

Good thing then because Western Devs were selling most of the PS1's, which led to the Xbox which caused Nintendo to change to its current form.

Granted, 3DO and PS1 did more to open up to western devs getting more PC ports brought to consoles (at a still minor rate bu relatively much bigger), Sega had a small US output that sold well that only seemed like a lot compared to Nintendo's US dev support, and then you had the Europe Amiga-esque shoveware dominated the majority with mid to low sales that Nintendo had very little of. Enough to be competitive, but Sega lost many would be exclusives by not making deals to the SNES later which ended up backfiring on them.

We are talking about the Genesis not SMS, even in japan NEC broke through by the late 80's.

You simply cannot talk about Genesis without talking about SMS or NES; keep in mind Genesis launched in America while NES was still the main commercial option on the market. Do you think the licensing agreements Nintendo locked down during the NES/Famicom era suddenly went away when the Genesis released? They did not.

Also in Japan, PC-Engine "broke through" but lacked a LOT of the major Japanese dev support because, again, Nintendo's strict licensing agreements. I don't even think it's fair to say they "broke through"; PC-Engine had a strong year or two but its sales collapsed almost immediately once the Super Famicom released. It's total sales in Japan are barely 2x that of MegaDrive's, and that system was some 3.5 - 3.8 million LTD there.

In comparison, Super Famicom did 16.7 million LTD in Japan during 4th-gen. So I don't really see the support through data that PC-Engine "broke through" in the Japanese market especially considering when its sales peaked and fell off.

It did for the most part by the time the Genesis was viable,.

Not really. Again, Nintendo was only found guilty of antitrust in the US market, not Japan and not Europe. And it's in Japan where Nintendo's licensing agreements were particularly strong because that's where the majority of 3P console developer support was at.

Even supposing you were correct, the transient benefits of those licensing agreements and terms don't suddenly reset to neutral for the following generation. That's not how reality operates in the business world.

Nonsense, they could have done it from 1992-1995 easily and didn't. When Nintendo wasn't even a problem, they had marketing deals with multiplats they could have easily made timed or full exclusive. With lack of western dev interest, Sega could have gotten more western devs to make games for it for them, or to port games from PC more not on the SNES, with the spotlight marketing and they didn't.

They DID get more Western devs to make games for them and port from PC, did you suddenly forget EA existed? I'm starting to think you have a very limited view of the actual history with them WRT this slice of the market. Even with the SNES/Super Famicom, Nintendo had a strong lock on Japanese devs & pubs, so Sega had to rely on Western devs/pubs to get a lot of content.

In no timeline was Nintendo ever NOT a problem for Sega, I don't even know where you got that idea from. SNES released in America in 1991; prior to that NES was still holding its own pretty well, even with Genesis and TurbographX-16 on the market. For whatever reason you're pretending now that Nintendo was straggling early on with SNES in the West the way Sony was with PS3 after its launch, but that was never the case. Sega did have majority marketshare during that '91 - '94 period but it's not like they ran away with those markets the way Microsoft did with 360 in US & UK during that phase of 7th-gen.

You are also making a weird choice to forward modern console gaming business tactics to a market that was less mature at that time and where those concepts were not commonly practiced. Even Nintendo rarely did timed or full exclusivity deals for 3P games; stuff like SF2 was the exception, not the rule, and the 3P exclusives they got were because they mainly came from Japanese 3P devs who were already firmly affiliated with Nintendo hardware, their ecosystem, and had already built up their customer base on said platforms and in said ecosystem. Going for 3P exclusivity deals didn't even start getting nominally more prominent until the PS1; even there it was pretty rare outside of stuff like Tomb Raider 2 or Sony/Capcom locking in a RE 2 & 3 PS exclusivity deal. Then those types of deals incremented a bit more the following gen, we saw that with Nintendo/Capcom doing the Capcom 5 deal, Microsoft helping fund some 3P games to get exclusivity like they did with Sega, etc.

3P timed & full paid exclusivity deals didn't really kick off in earnest until Microsoft did it with the 360, and that's over 10 years removed from the time of Genesis/MegaDrive. So why are you capitulating that Sega should have done a tactic that was not even widely popularized until over 10 years later and not even by a market leader, at that? Both Sega and Nintendo focused on a model where their systems were mainly for 1P content and if 3P devs/pubs wanted to bring content to the platforms, they could, but they didn't really "fight" over 3P support the way we've seen Sony & Microsoft do in the years since.

Capcom is an example of a company that was freed and I would say most if not the plurality of Capcom games with the Capcom logo released on the Genesis (unlike the SNES) were made/produced by Sega. Many of those had nothing to do with any restrictions because Capcom still did make games for the Genesis just not as many as they made directly for the SNES which can be attributed to a lack of Sega trying to incentivize them compared to Nintendo, and Sega's poor performance in Japan.

So you're asking why Sega didn't incentivize doing mass 3P timed or full exclusivity deals, then use Capcom as the example, then literally provide two answers as to why it didn't happen in that case, and somehow are not considering that similar answers could not be provided for other devs/pubs (particularly Japanese ones)?

FWIW, those kind of deals were not cheap, and it's not like Sega has Microsoft levels of cash to throw around; never did. 3P Japanese devs/pubs only started coming around to Genesis/MegaDrive more after the system took off in America, but they still had to develop the software and that took months or in some cases 1-2 years if we're talking about original IP from the ground-up for the platform.

So with that timeline, a lot of that support didn't even start to manifest until latter 1992 into 1993, and that's a step 3P Japanese devs/pubs would've needed to get to first BEFORE Sega could entertain locking down other 3P games as timed or full exclusives, and why would SOJ pursue those types of deals if they were intending to move on to Saturn by 1994? Sure, SOA and SOE could have tried for those deals, but they'd still need funding from SOJ (as well as approval in some cases) to actually go after them. In that sense, SOJ would've been the bottleneck to such ambitions.

It was more cost-efficient and legally sensible for Sega to invest in things like Sega Technical Institute, and rely on their arcade ports as well as hoping that would encourage 3P devs/pubs to prioritize arcade ports to Genesis/MegaDrive. Whether that was ultimately preferable to, say, gunning after Enix or Capcom, or even Squaresoft, to shift SNES/SFC projects to Genesis/MegaDrive instead is debatable, but you also have to acknowledge you and I are benefitting from being here in the moment to reflect on the past.

The issue is Sega clearly wasn't thinking about doing the right moves to win. They had success and didn't know how to leverage it, and made a lot of moves they should not have made, or should have made earlier too late.

You are using VERY high levels of recency bias to make this judgement call, however. You simply cannot try applying business practices and trends of the modern, current day market wholesale to a completely different market from decades ago, and try passing value judgements on the past as a result, without running into a host of problems.

At the very least, you need to specifically quantify what actual things they did which were, in your opinion, good business moves or bad business moves, and go from there. Anytime I bring up bad Sega business moves, for example, I try pulling actual examples, like when they committed $1 billion to Gameworks in 1997.

This is a flawed view of things, because Sega wasn't really relevant in the US market or known with the Genesis until 1990. It took off and then as you just agreed to, had already lost to the SNES before "moving on" to the Saturn like people claim. They were already having problems keeping up previous momentum BEFORE that even happened. I would say late 1993 is when the start of the decline, maybe earlier a bit, happened because that's also when third parties had 1 million_ sellers coming out and Sonic was declining more in exchange. Then the third parties declines and they weren't able to move as many consoles.

Sega was relevant in the US market prior to Genesis, and during the first year of Genesis, due to their arcade releases, and arcades were still big in the US (albeit less so than prior to the crash) at this time.

You're leaning a lot into the idea that Genesis erosion happened way earlier than it did, even though Genesis marketshare in America peaked in H1 1994. We can argue that game sales falling off over the years as a sign, but again, you have to quantify the reasons into that. Usually, it comes down to marketing or lack of marketing: I've already touched on this in the past when talking about Sega leaning HARD into the Sega Scream which was a great way to centralize marketing to the console itself, but might've overpowered marketing spotlight on individual games, something that IMO Microsoft has eerily repeated with marketing GamePass the past few years.

Did 3P publishers reduce advertising for their games? Did rentals play a part (absolutely could have been possible depending on average length & difficulty of the game in question)? Were games selling less even an issue in relation to the budgets for those games (for example, PC or arcade ports would have costed much less so if those went from 1 million to say 650K, that is still a lot of revenue and profit in relation to the budget)? You have to actually ask those questions to have deeper insight.

No one said it was, where did this come from?

It's common sense. Do you genuinely think companies are ONLY fixated on outselling their competitors? If that were the case, Microsoft and Nintendo would have left the console market by now. No, the main goals of game platform holders is to bring in health revenue & profit in relation to operating costs, and to grow those margins, whether that means increasing marketshare, increasing prices, or a combination of things like those.

Even if the console gaming market was more of a wild west back then, actual corporate board members were not so gung-ho on playground or modern-day forum console warring mentalities as some people think. Even people like Nakayama and Kutaragi were on generally friendly terms and talked often, even if their respective companies were battling it out for market supremacy.

Sega of Japan was trying to position the Mega Drive as a entry level consoles, and trying to compete with NEC with the Sega CD until they gave up on it, and when they did, they brought the 32X over to Japan. This "moving on" from the genesis thing is wrong both in the US and Japan. But the claim was for the western market not Japan, so this is zig zagging around the issue.

Factually wrong. What exactly were they going to make the MegaDrive an entry level console to, during 1991 - 1994 prior to Saturn. How were they going to make MegaDrive an entry-level system to Saturn in Japan, if 1P software support was being wholesale shifted to Saturn and MegaDrive didn't have much Japanese 3P support for the Japanese market as-is? Why would SOJ have been interested in using MegaDrive as an entry-level system in their product ecosystem in any capacity other than semi-limited legacy manufacturing & support, when MegaDrive was commercially unsuccessful in that region?

The fact they released the 32X in Japan the exact same day of Saturn's release was an intentional move to bury the 32X; they did not have any heart or commitment for that add-on (rightfully so) in the Japanese market because they were fixing to move onwards to the Saturn. So your claim that people are wrong about Sega 'moving on' from Genesis is in itself even more incorrect if you're trying to insinuate that Sega didn't really want to move on from the MegaDrive in the one market it underperformed the most. All you needed to do was ask yourself a few questions to check the internal logic of the idea and see if it held up to scrutiny.

The claim people were making is that Sega was winning and then "moved on to the Saturn" which didn't actually happen int he context they make the claim.

Well, in terms of marketshare, Sega were in fact winning over Nintendo in NA until around the holiday 1994 season; from then to 1997, the SNES outsold Genesis, but also keep in mind a lot of those 1996 & 1997 units would've been at very low prices if not liquidation. I haven't seen anyone claim Sega were "dominating" the NA market in that time frame, though, which would be incorrect; they at most had a 60 - 65% market share in the NA market by early 1994, which could be considered dominating, but only for a short stint of time. Otherwise the margins were a lot closer between them and Nintendo insofar as 4th-gen marketshare is concerned.

Margins were similarly close between them in the whole of Europe; there are some European markets where SNES led and others where Genesis/MegaDrive led, but we aren't looking at a 360-type long-term, persistent domination from Genesis/MegaDrive in either market. Again, though, no one's been making such a claim to my knowledge.

I think you're thinking of other responses in the thread and mixing them with mine by quoting me, because I never made the argument like some others have here that there was any arbitrary goal.

I'm not mixing anything up; that part of my comment was a meta commentary on tendencies almost ALL of us have some tendency to do when discussing retro gaming hardware, software, events etc. It just happens naturally but, as long as we're aware that we can end up doing such by accident every here or there, we can catch ourselves before committing to doing such a thing, and that would help make these discussions more accurate (in the areas where accuracy is a requirement).

That doesn't just go with Sega, mind, but virtually any company discussed in terms of retro gaming, when there is some element of market competition involved.

SumJester

The only ones who won the 16-bit console war were the ones who played both systems.
God level if they managed to touch a PC-Engine too. (I know it's 8-bit shush)

Those who still have their head in the sand are just plainly losing on some absolute gaming treasures.

Last edited:
I was a giant Sega fan boy in the days, it gave me a great time.

But in all honesty the way Genesis games look did not age so well in most cases, the sounds in US\EU made games was awful. The legacy is not on the same level for many game types (JRPGs were mostly a SNES affair in NA).

S0ULZB0URNE

No sales for the 360's LTD have been reported. You do not have the data to make the claim. Fake made up estimates based on guesses without data is also not data. Statista says the 360 sold 85.8 Million, 360 sold 84 million in June 2014, and just in the US from then through December sold over 1 million units making this number in possible, especially when including worldwide, and that's not even bringing 2015 and 2016 sales into the equation.

People keep saying it won only because MS hasn't posted final LTD yet and are making up numbers that try to make the 360 look like it's notably behind but it contradicts last known figures in some regions just for 2014 alone.
You gotta do better than giving your explanation.

RAIDEN1

Vectorman.

But that company you aren't subtly referring to did actually beat Nintendo, twice, and Sony once.
Yeah but Vectorman, like Eternal Champions just never quite hit the mark...as a character for me there wasn't anything even remotely appealing about it, they might as well have called it "Orb-man"

Wildebeest

If you want to talk about "losers" in the console business, then look at Atari Jaguar or Commodore CD32. Megadrive was a big commercial success.

cireza

the sounds in US\EU made games was awful
This is not true for a good number of games. There were very talented composers in Europe and also in the US later in the life of the console.

I strongly suggest you give a listen to OSTs from the following games, to name a few :
Sub Terrania
Red Zone
Dungeons & Dragons
Dune II
Mega Turrican
Comix Zone
Vectorman
Eternal Champions

Last edited:
This is not true for a good number of games. There were very talented composers in Europe and also in the US later in the life of the console.

I strongly suggest you give a listen to OSTs from the following games, to name a few :
Sub Terrania
Red Zone
Dungeons & Dragons
Dune II
Mega Turrican
Comix Zone
Vectorman
Eternal Champions
Thanks, this is what I meant, the vast majority, even in your list sounds horrible compared to the Japanese games (I played most of the games in your list, some quite a lot).

But I will grant you the point for Sub Terrania and Mega Turrican.

For the rest it sounds like they tried to make the Genesis had poor sound, they would not have done any worse.

Action - sidescrollers. Man.. one is a platformer and another is an action - adventure, i got this distinct difference between action - sidescrollers, platformers and the likes. That's why i said that the Mega Drive dwarfs it in terms of action - sidescrollers, and the SNES is better at platformers.

With that said, i'll take Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master over both of those.
Apples to oranges. Even so, comparing one of many to the best exploratory side scroller of all time?

But that company you aren't subtly referring to did actually beat Nintendo, twice, and Sony once.

When did Microsoft "beat" Nintendo twice? And by what metric? OG Xbox sold at most 4 million units more than Gamecube but MS lost a lot more money on the venture than Nintendo did with GC. Wii outsold 360 and made much more revenue and profit than it. The Wii U beat itself into market obscurity, but if you give that to Microsoft then you have to give that to Sony as well. Either way, the Switch easily surpassed XBO lifetime sales in the span of about three years on the market and, again, has generated much more in actual net profit than XBO ever did.

360 only outsold PS3 in the US & UK markets, where it dominated, but globally PS3 had passed 360 sales by early 2009, and ultimately went on to outsell it anyway. I'm assuming you're goin by sales numbers of consoles because that's what you are the person you're replying to were going by. But if we're going to break it down by specific market, then you have to do the same with Sony, Nintendo, Sega etc. and find out that in places like Japan for example, Gamecube easily outsold OG Xbox, or how in many foreign markets PS3 outsold 360 from Day 1, or in Japan where Saturn still has almost 3x as many units sold as MS's most successful console in that country yet, the 360.

This doesn't even get into the perspective of actual software because so many other metrics pop up and it can become very subjective, very quickly.

When did Microsoft "beat" Nintendo twice? And by what metric? OG Xbox sold at most 4 million units more than Gamecube

After Ms started pulling support, than pretty much killed it with the 360, and then gave the GameCube two years by itself practically, so really Xbox gave the gamecube almost 4 years.

The Xbox did not sell 4 million more than the gamecube, the gamecube could only get to 4 million behind the Xbox with almost 4 years advantage with Xbox cutting off.

No matter how you want to spin it the Xbox "beat" Nintendo with a lot of new games to the consoles space, out of nowhere, while the GC had stables and early on decent third-party support and cheaper, than made itself more of a value three times and still couldn't make the cut. You're basically substituing "Super Nintendo" in this thread title with "Xbox" with this statement, the answer would be yes.

Wii outsold 360 and made much more revenue and profit than it.

Only if you exclude late gen and Kinect. It's also not relevant to the Gamecube so this is a curious distraction from the subject,

360 only outsold PS3 in the US & UK markets, where it dominated, but globally PS3 had passed 360 sales by early 2009

Actually no, the 360 was ahead globally, if you mean ROTW from those markets (and the other markets unlisted 360 won) than yes, but that's a pointless tangent and has nothing to do with Xbox beating Nintendo twice. You don't seem to have much of an argument here so you keep going off the topic.

The Wii U beat itself into market obscurity, but if you give that to Microsoft then you have to give that to Sony as well.

Sony wasn't part of the discussion in any context, you're just rambling. The post was talking about Microsoft beating Nintendo twice, in the context of a user trying to make a poor ill-thought out jab at Xbox in comparison to Sega, your response don't make any sense in context at all.

You're basically doing damage control for no reason, out of context when it's not even needed. What's the point in bringing in all these things that has nothing to do with the conversation? Where did Sony come form?

You gotta do better than giving your explanation.

You haven't done anything.

Everyone knows that in June 2014 Xbox 360 was past 84 million because Microsoft publicly announced it.

NPD numbers for the 360 are on this site, we have sales archive sub-forum for a reason and you can find others with the search bar.

No credible source or gaming database is using those Statista numbers because they don't make any sense. Heck, just look at Nov and Dec 2014 NPD threads alone and look at how much the 360 did when the numbers are posted. Do people not remember Neogaf was the sales hub for gaming (and partially still is)?

You simply cannot talk about Genesis without talking about SMS or NES;

Except you can in regards to Sega's success compared to the SNES and then losing in which is what was being talked about, you do an awful lot of drawn out posts to pretend you're making a point but your just being a contrarian.

Also in Japan, PC-Engine "broke through" but lacked a LOT of the major Japanese dev support because, again, Nintendo's strict licensing agreements. I don't even think it's fair to say they "broke through"; PC-Engine had a strong year or two but its sales collapsed almost immediately once the Super Famicom released.

The PC Engine broke through later on before Sega started getting better Japanese third party support no ones saying there wasn't strict licensing agreements, you keep misapplying their effects in the wrong time frame.

Also PC Engine sales didn't "collapse" as soon as the Super Famicom released. FY 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 were the years of the highest sales and shipments with 2.2 million total for the PC Engine, thanks mainly due to the base units price cut and the popularity of the CD and then the standalone CD/CD+HuCard units which sold almost 2 million. Even in 1992-1993 FY it had a respectable shipment and was declining based on the age of the tech, the upcoming new consoles, and a decline in support NEC never saw as it announced the PC-FX. Super Nintendo did damage sure, especially later on as it established itself and a lot of the big hits came out 1992 onward but this notion that the PC Engine died because of the SF is fiction, and contradicts the whole thing with the PC Engine having a long life post the first few years because of the CD, which didn't start really taking off until 1990 and became popular in 1991 in Japan.

Not really. Again, Nintendo was only found guilty of antitrust in the US market, not Japan and not Europe.

Again NEC broke through, you're taking information you don't have much info on and making an assumption. The problem is you're trying to apply Nintendo's policies (and you are now backpedaling the US you didn't say that at first) to the Genesis after 1991, which doesn't make any sense as third party japanese devs were improving on the competition than because Nintendo didn't have that same hold.

They DID get more Western devs to make games for them and port from PC, did you suddenly forget EA existed?

No, but you didn't read what you quoted. I said that Sega did NOT put in effort to try and get western third parties to have full or timed exclusivity and they didn't. I didn't say they didn't have games MADE for them by western third parties. Sega could stopped games from going on the SNES that they had a high probability of achieving.

You are using VERY high levels of recency bias to make this judgement call, however. You simply cannot try applying business practices and trends of the modern, current day market wholesale to a completely different market from decades ago, and try passing value judgements on the past as a result, without running into a host of problems.

Which isn't what happened and isn't in what you quoted. I said they could have made moves and they didn't and they made bad decisions which are all documented from the time, you're just saying random words. (BTW Gameworks was 1996 not 1997 there's a thread on that)

Sega was relevant in the US market prior to Genesis, and during the first year of Genesis, due to their arcade releases, and arcades were still big in the US (albeit less so than prior to the crash) at this time.

You're leaning a lot into the idea that Genesis erosion happened way earlier than it did, even though Genesis marketshare in America peaked in H1 1994. We can argue that game sales falling off over the years as a sign, but again, you have to quantify the reasons into that. Usually, it comes down to marketing or lack of marketing: I've already touched on this in the past when talking about Sega leaning HARD into the Sega Scream which was a great way to centralize marketing to the console itself, but might've overpowered marketing spotlight on individual games, something that IMO Microsoft has eerily repeated with marketing GamePass the past few years.

You know we are talking about consoles (even though they weren't THAT popular as you imply in arcades in the US) so I'm not sure why you're doing that.

But no they were not relevant in the console market in the US with the SMS as posted elsewhere they actually brought in hundreds of thousands of consoles to sell but didn't have demand, even the 7800 had the demand, and SMS only sold 125k units in 1986, while Atari sold every unit they made for the 7800 which happened in 87 as well, and sold a crap load of 2600's too, which some revisionist gaming outlets like to say was dead, and no one wanted anymore wrongfully.

Their software sales were also poor, we actually got 7800 software sales (leaked by curt vendel RIP) which compared to the likely LTD of the consoles is respectable and higher than many would expect.

As for the Genesis erosion it began in 1993, this is pretty self-evidence by the temporary rise of third-parties selling over 1 million units with many of Segas home games selling less, primarily Sonic. They were planning the 32X to extend the life of the Genesis and released that in 1994, Sega had $61 million in losses of unsold Genesis Inventory in iirc early half 1996 (there's a thread on that) let's not pretend Sega wasn't already collapsing.

Your last point about overpowering the spotlight from individual games, putting more focus on the console is basically theft because you're being dishonest that's what you argued in previous threads, that's what I argued in previous threads and partially touched on in this one, because they didn't have games creating an identity of the consoles, the console was the identity.

Factually wrong. What exactly were they going to make the MegaDrive an entry level console to, during 1991 - 1994 prior to Saturn.

There was no prior to the Saturn, you're removing context from your own posts now. You were piggybacking the excuse that Sega were winning and then "moved on" tot he genesis and they made a assumption that contradicts events that SOJ though Genesis was done and 5 years was enough. I pointed out they made Genesis an entry level system still selling it in Japan in 1994, and also SOJ bringing the 32X over to Japan where it wasn't needed or originally planned for, which tells you no, SOJ DID NOT think the Genesis was done. Your comment about 32X being brough tot Japan to "intentionally" bury it is nothing more than speculation and makes little sense given the investment and the initial early push for it.

Completely different form the context you're twisting here.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You haven't done anything.

Everyone knows that in June 2014 Xbox 360 was past 84 million because Microsoft publicly announced it.

NPD numbers for the 360 are on this site, we have sales archive sub-forum for a reason and you can find others with the search bar.

No credible source or gaming database is using those Statista numbers because they don't make any sense. Heck, just look at Nov and Dec 2014 NPD threads alone and look at how much the 360 did when the numbers are posted. Do people not remember Neogaf was the sales hub for gaming (and partially still is)?

Except you can in regards to Sega's success compared to the SNES and then losing in which is what was being talked about, you do an awful lot of drawn out posts to pretend you're making a point but your just being a contrarian.

The PC Engine broke through later on before Sega started getting better Japanese third party support no ones saying there wasn't strict licensing agreements, you keep misapplying their effects in the wrong time frame.

Also PC Engine sales didn't "collapse" as soon as the Super Famicom released. FY 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 were the years of the highest sales and shipments with 2.2 million total for the PC Engine, thanks mainly due to the base units price cut and the popularity of the CD and then the standalone CD/CD+HuCard units which sold almost 2 million. Even in 1992-1993 FY it had a respectable shipment and was declining based on the age of the tech, the upcoming new consoles, and a decline in support NEC never saw as it announced the PC-FX. Super Nintendo did damage sure, especially later on as it established itself and a lot of the big hits came out 1992 onward but this notion that the PC Engine died because of the SF is fiction, and contradicts the whole thing with the PC Engine having a long life post the first few years because of the CD, which didn't start really taking off until 1990 and became popular in 1991 in Japan.

Again NEC broke through, you're taking information you don't have much info on and making an assumption. The problem is you're trying to apply Nintendo's policies (and you are now backpedaling the US you didn't say that at first) to the Genesis after 1991, which doesn't make any sense as third party japanese devs were improving on the competition than because Nintendo didn't have that same hold.

No, but you didn't read what you quoted and are now making up what you're responding to. I said that Sega did NOT put in effort to try and get western third parties to have full or timed exclusivity and they didn't. I didn't say they didn't have games MADE for them by western third parties. Sega could stopped games from going on the SNES that they had a high probability of achieving.

Which isn't what happened and isn't in what you quoted. I said they could have made moves and they didn't and they made bad decisions which are all documented from the time, you're just saying random words. (BTW Gameworks was 1996 not 1997 there's a thread on that)

You know we are talking about consoles (even though they weren't THAT popular as you imply in arcades in the US) so I'm not sure why you're doing that.

But no they were not relevant in the console market in the US with the SMS as posted elsewhere they actually brought in hundreds of thousands of consoles to sell but didn't have demand, even the 7800 had the demand, and only sold 125k units, while Atari sold every unit they made for the 7800 which happened in 87 as well, and sold a crap load of 2600's too some revisionist gaming outlets like to say was dead, and no one wanted wrongfully.

Their software sales were also poor, we actually got 7800 software sales (leaked by curt vendel RIP) which compared to the likely LTD of the consoles is respectable and higher than many would expect.

As for the Genesis erosion it began in 1993, this is pretty self-evidence by the temporary rise of third-parties selling over 1 million units with many of Segas home games selling less, primarily Sonic. They were planning the 32X to extend the life of the Genesis and released that in 1994, Sega had $61 million in losses of unsold Genesis Inventory in iirc early half 1996 (there's a thread on that) let's not pretend Sega wasn't already collapsing.

Your last point about overpowering the spotlight from individual games, putting more focus on the console is basically theft because you're being dishonest that's what you argued in previous threads, that's what I argues in previous threads and partially touched on in this one, because they didn't have games creating an identity of the consoles, the console was the identity.

There was no prior to the Saturn, you're removing context from your own posts now. You were piggybacking the excuse that Sega were winning and then "moved on" tot he genesis and they made a assumption that contradicts events that SOJ though Genesis was done and 5 years was enough. I pointed out they made Genesis an entry level system still selling it in Japan in 1994, and also SOJ bringing the 32X over to Japan where it wasn't needed or originally planned for, which tells you no, SOJ DID NOT think the Genesis was done. Your comment about 32X being brough tot Japan to "intentionally" bury it is nothing more than speculation and makes little sense given the investment and the initial early push for it.

Completely different form the context you're twisting here.
NPD is one region.
We are talking WW LTD.

NPD is one region.
We are talking WW LTD.
yes, and that one region with the 84 million WW, puts the 360 above 85 Million just in 2014 not including ROTW and 2015/16 sales, yet you posted bad statista data no database or sales board uses, that said the 360 sold 85.8 million LTD. Are you not seeing the issue there?

Last edited:
After Ms started pulling support, than pretty much killed it with the 360, and then gave the GameCube two years by itself practically, so really Xbox gave the gamecube almost 4 years.

The Xbox did not sell 4 million more than the gamecube, the gamecube could only get to 4 million behind the Xbox with almost 4 years advantage with Xbox cutting off.

This is hilarious. So, let me illustrate what you're doing here. You're leaning on the exact same thing for Microsoft WRT OG Xbox ("Microsoft moved on to 360") that you're CRITICIZING the thread poll and people ITT for saying about Sega WRT Genesis/Megadrive ("Sega moved on to Saturn").

If you cannot see the absolute irony in you leaning to the exact same defense for Microsoft and OG Xbox, that you are dismissing for Sega with the Genesis/MegaDrive, then we don't need to be having further conversation on this topic. A good discussion entails that all parties involved at least be able to see some of the ironies in their own points that may pop up from blind spots, and try adjusting their discussion as a result of that.

No matter how you want to spin it the Xbox "beat" Nintendo with a lot of new games to the consoles space, out of nowhere, while the GC had stables and early on decent third-party support and cheaper, than made itself more of a value three times and still couldn't make the cut. You're basically substituing "Super Nintendo" in this thread title with "Xbox" with this statement, the answer would be yes.

The "new games" in the console space you're referring to are basically a continuation of the PC ports that had been coming to consoles gradually more and more since the Genesis/MegaDrive, which was probably the first mainstream console that started getting some notable (for the time) ports of PC and microcomputer games from 3P publishers, even big support from PC-only devs/pubs at the time prior like EA. Xbox did not suddenly manifest those new types of once-exclusively PC-style games into the console space; that trend had already started developing over a decade prior to its release and even systems like Dreamcast and PS2 saw a spike in those types of games to consoles mainly because of the new power they presented compared to the 5th-gen systems.

If you're saying those new games were new IP, well no duh, that's because Xbox was a new platform at the time. They HAD to get new IP out of necessity. Even so, only maybe 20% of them actually had much an impact, maybe even less than that. Halo (which Bungie were already developing before MS acquired them), Forza, and PGR were the standouts. No one honestly gave a crap about Fusion Frenzy or Kakuto Chojin back then and still don't today. And if we're talking about any Xbox 1P games that had marketshare or mindshare impact similar to Sony or Nintendo's marquee 1P titles, only Halo wound up fitting that bill.

Only if you exclude late gen and Kinect. It's also not relevant to the Gamecube so this is a curious distraction from the subject,

It's relevant to your wider point of Xbox having "beat" Nintendo twice, remember? So no, it's not a distraction, except due to the fact it disproves what you want to claim. Wii outsold 360 in totality; "late gen" (what does that even matter; 360 had more time on the market than Wii both before and afterwards) and Kinect don't matter.

Actually no, the 360 was ahead globally, if you mean ROTW from those markets (and the other markets unlisted 360 won) than yes, but that's a pointless tangent and has nothing to do with Xbox beating Nintendo twice. You don't seem to have much of an argument here so you keep going off the topic.

I'm bringing up these facts because you made a claim Xbox "beat" Nintendo twice and PlayStation once, assuming in console sales, and I stated otherwise. We have endless number of sources that back up my claims, you can check out Wikipedia and if you don't trust them, check their sources, or just Google them.

Now you're randomly throwing in "other markets unlisted 360 won" and there's no telling where you're even sourcing that from, but it doesn't refute the claim: PS3 outsold 360 globally, and started doing so by around 2009. Globally would obviously include ROTW...those other countries are a part of Earth, after all. Again, you're quickly trying to say it's a pointless tangent, but it's actually related to something you yourself stated, and you only want to move on because if we both really want to pull up sources, you know that you'll lose on that front.

Sony wasn't part of the discussion in any context, you're just rambling.

Dude, this is literally what you said:

Those are your words, right there. It's even quoted in the post of mine you're responding to 🤣

The post was talking about Microsoft beating Nintendo twice, in the context of a user trying to make a poor ill-thought out jab at Xbox in comparison to Sega, your response don't make any sense in context at all.

It did, because you are quoted now multiple times with exactly what you said in response to that poster, and you did in fact name Sony in that post. And none of your points are even correct in relation to your response to that poster, so I guess you'll have to accept that there's a bit more similarity between Microsoft and Sega in that respect than you are so defiantly against accepting, even if the reality is obvious WRT what that poster was basically saying.

You're basically doing damage control for no reason, out of context when it's not even needed. What's the point in bringing in all these things that has nothing to do with the conversation? Where did Sony come form?

We seriously need a facepalm emote. Like, I can't tell if you're seriously forgetting your own words or if you're trolling now. Again, let me quote you, letter for letter:

Emphasis mine. So tell me you're finally willing to acknowledge that you in fact did bring Sony into this, hence why I also included them in my response.

Last edited:
And it was a much better solution for some extra power needed for specific games than fracturing the market with another add on. If you wanted to play Star Fox it was maybe another $10 for the cart vs buying an addon
One can make a case for both. I had no issues with the CD Add-ons to either my PC Eng, Mega Drive and well even my Dos PC.

cireza

Thanks, this is what I meant, the vast majority, even in your list sounds horrible compared to the Japanese games (I played most of the games in your list, some quite a lot).

But I will grant you the point for Sub Terrania and Mega Turrican.

For the rest it sounds like they tried to make the Genesis had poor sound, they would not have done any worse.
Then you have shit tastes there isn't much more to say, really.

Or you don't know these games and haven't listened to the soundtracks because nobody in his right mind would say that Dune or D&D sound bad.

Last edited:

Slowdowns on Snes ?
FAKE NEWS !!!
It's just slowmotion premium experience 🤣:

Tiny CPU...
Tiny controllers : Tiny penis gamers 👌🏽

#console war 2022 😁

As opposed to 3 button controls. But you do you.

Its pathetic. The SNES needed extra chips in carts almost from day one and if not. For the mess up with SONY the SNES would have had its CD Dribe Add On to go along with it's Satelliteaview and Super Gameboy Add one.

The less said about the 32X the better mind LOL

Sony would have screwed Nintendo with that deal. Sony would have full software royalties from CD-Rom titles, and were already prototyping stand alone CD-Rom units.

As opposed to 3 button controls. But you do you.

Sony would have screwed Nintendo with that deal. Sony would have full software royalties from CD-Rom titles, and were already prototyping stand alone CD-Rom units.
I quite agree, but Nintendo did the deal and should have been more zavvi.

Celine

Sony didn't do anything to crush Sega, Sega was at least in the US, the number 1 game company at the start of 1996 and their Saturn was competitive with the PSX.
That's not true.
Neither the part "Sega was the number 1 game company" nor the "Saturn was competitive with PS1" in US at the start of 1996.

Annual top 20 best selling games in US (NPD; ranked on dollar sales):
bMLrKET.jpg

Yl1PP3A.jpg

cireza

That's not true.
Neither the part "Sega was the number 1 game company" nor the "Saturn was competitive with PS1" in US at the start of 1996.

bMLrKET.jpg
Are you aware that most of the 1995 and 1996 games were available on SEGA consoles ?

That's not true.

bMLrKET.jpg

Yl1PP3A.jpg

I didn't say the Saturn was competitive with the PSX in 1996 specifically although they were compared to the later parts of that year early on, but i was referring to launch window, as what was brought up befor.e

Also NPD dollar sales are pointless, and I said SEGA was the the number one game company in the US in 1996 not the Saturn,
eMYFxcO.jpg

This is hilarious. So, let me illustrate what you're doing here. You're leaning on the exact same thing for Microsoft WRT OG Xbox ("Microsoft moved on to 360") that you're CRITICIZING the thread poll and people ITT for saying about Sega WRT Genesis/Megadrive ("Sega moved on to Saturn").

This isn't an argument, this is you trying to create confusion because you're point was incredibly poor. Sega was OBJECTIVELY not WINNING in the US and then lost because they "moved on" to the Saturn when they were losing before the Saturn came out and were still trying to sell the genesis and couldn't figure out a way to do so resulting in $61 million loss in unsold inventory.

Microsoft OBJECTIVELY did cut support to move on to the 360.

You can't support your points so you make draw out a bunch of text removing context in order to confuse what was actually said and what a person actually responded to you with. You never had a valid argument from the start and you don't address anything you just claim that there's irony when there isn't any. You're argument was just dumb period and ill-thought out.

Xbox did not suddenly manifest those new types of once-exclusively PC-style games into the console space

Again you don't actually have an argument, you twist words and than accuse someone of saying something they didn't actually say. Everyone knows that the gaming industry change drastically due to the Xbox bringing in a flood of new types of games that weren't as common before the Xbox.

The fact is that everyone knows is Microsoft came out of nowhere with a new console, many people were skeptical or worse about how it would end up, it launched out the gate strong and brought in a bunch of games not common in the consoles space including underrepresented genres/sub-genres and ended up beating a Console by a Company that has been around for 3 gens with a stable of family IPs that should have brought the casual over, that was stronger than the PS2, that had better third-party support upfront than the N64, and was cheaper, and dropped value, and then dropped value again and was still defeated.

No one is making the argument there were no PC and not even just PC but also new western console companies, didn't happen before the Xbox but it's also obvious that it was a major contributor to the shift change your being dishonest at best.

It's relevant to your wider point of Xbox having "beat" Nintendo twice, remember? So no, it's not a distraction, except due to the fact it disproves what you want to claim. Wii outsold 360 in totality; "late gen" (what does that even matter; 360 had more time on the market than Wii both before and afterwards) and Kinect don't matter.

The statement is that Xbox beat Nintendo twice, that is what was quoted and that is what was written. The Wii has nothing to do with the Gamecube or the Wii U. it doesn't disprove anything, it only proves you're desperate to constantly create some conspiracy about Xbox in multiple threads with poor information or just unsubstantiated assumptions.

Dude, this is literally what you said:

Those are your words, right there.

and this is what you said

The Wii U beat itself into market obscurity, but if you give that to Microsoft then you have to give that to Sony as well.

Which doesn't make any sense because we are talking about XBOX beating Nintendo twice, not Sony. This has nothing to do with the conversation ZERO. Xbox beat the Wii U that's one of the two times it beat Nintendo. Sony has nothing to do with it.

The rest of your post is trying to insult the intelligence of people who know how to read, tripling down on this same point no SOny was not part of the context of the conversation about Xbox beating Nintendo twice. Why would I "give it to Sony too" for beating the Wii U if the context is XBOX beat NINTENDO TWICE.

You don't have a single valid argument in your entire post, and you've changed words here, removed context, and spun in order to make it seem like you have one. You have no idea what you're talking about and even made up a claim that the PC Engine in Japan collapsed in sales when the Super Famicom was released, you're just making stuff up.

Last edited:

Romulus

And it was a much better solution for some extra power needed for specific games than fracturing the market with another add on. If you wanted to play Star Fox it was maybe another $10 for the cart vs buying an addon

Yeah and no one used that as a crutch for comparisons back then either. Most just acknowledged the fx chip for example but none of this "omg the snes had add ons." It was just a measly price increase and suddenly you had games that would have never ran on snes even to begin with(not with 1990s development.) So it just increased the variety of the lineup to some decent 3d and 2d offerings. I remember seeing Star Fox and just being blown away at the time. More cpu mhz for the rare occasions where it needed the extra power for $10? Lol fine by me.
That's another thing looking back, the Genesis had a massive cpu advantage but I could never figure out why it didn't translate onscreen as much as it would seem. Maybe the lack of RAM restricted its full potential.

Last edited:

cireza

Yeah no issue at all. Take a look at the 10$ price increase for current consoles : nobody is complaining...

Cartridges back then were already expensive, and the simple fact of being a larger ROM justified pretty significant increases in price. Not even talking about additional chips.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sega opened the door for western developers. Who then proceeded to turn the industry into shit
No, western devs were already there before the Sega consoles and Sega consoles never have been the main platform for the western devs.

Western game developers had a great market with arcades, computers and western previous consoles like the Atari ones before the Sega consoles. And were more successful with NES, GB and SNES than with SMS, GG and MD. Later PS1 joined the party and became their main console market until today.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Yeah and no one used that as a crutch for comparisons back then either. Most just acknowledged the fx chip for example but none of this "omg the snes had add ons." It was just a measly price increase and suddenly you had games that would have never ran on snes even to begin with(not with 1990s development.) So it just increased the variety of the lineup to some decent 3d and 2d offerings. I remember seeing Star Fox and just being blown away at the time. 20+ mhz for the rare occasions where it needed the extra power for $10? Lol fine by me.
That's another thing looking back, the Genesis had a massive cpu advantage but I could never figure out why it didn't translate onscreen as much as it would seem. Maybe the lack of RAM restricted its full potential.
Enhancement chips were great. It allowed the snes to do things even more powerful systems like the Neo Geo couldn't do without having to buy expensive add-ons.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
As far as I know the CPU advantage was basically where it ended. SNES simply had more hardware features and could do things like Mode 7 without brute forcing it in software...though the Genesis certainly pulled off a lot of cool shit for what the hardware had to offer. I've come around on a the soundchip too in recent years, because in the hands of a talented creator it can really slap, but it's still incapable of pulling off what the SNES hardware could.

And honestly, a fully added-on'd (uhh?) Genesis with a 32X and SEGA CD would be pretty damn impressive on paper....but nothing ever took advantage of all of that, and it was a mess of cables and ridiculous jerry-rigging. I never had to worry about all that shit to play Super Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island, you just paid a bit more for those carts.

Enhancement chips were great. It allowed the snes to do things even more powerful systems like the Neo Geo couldn't do without having to buy expensive add-ons.

IIrc correctly the SNES without chips could do something the Neo Geo couldn't do, or at least as well. Neo Geo was strong but it was powerful for a specific type of gameplay with specific capabilities. Better than the other consoles but it was limited to that.

Romulus

It basically allowed Nintendo to turn the SNES CPU disadvantage into a big advantage for $10 on top of already having more colors and RAM advantage. I would have liked to see Sega do more with the SVP though, but it would have needed to be a lesser version to compete. The SVP was too expensive. It would have been less performance but at least viable.

Virtua Racing was a terrible choice too, it was a gimped version of the arcade in terms of content for $100 using a gamepad for high-speed steering. I like Sega's attitude and ambition, but in hindsight, it was just dumb.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

IIrc correctly the SNES without chips could do something the Neo Geo couldn't do, or at least as well. Neo Geo was strong but it was powerful for a specific type of gameplay with specific capabilities. Better than the other consoles but it was limited to that.

Nah, Neo Geo zooms >>> any feature from the SNES or its enhanced chips.

EcstaticShrillBunny-size_restricted.gif

GlamorousThunderousCats-size_restricted.gif

cireza

I've come around on a the soundchip too in recent years, because in the hands of a talented creator it can really slap, but it's still incapable of pulling off what the SNES hardware could.
Which works both ways. SNES is incapable of replicating the sound clarity/quality of the Genesis, and I have still to see the more advanced and very long tracks that use modulation even being replicated in a true gameplay condition on SNES. It will be muffled in any case. SNES uses samples, copying to memory is slow, memory is quickly filled... all of this for very low quality sound. The YM2612 is a great FM soundchip by the way, very high quality from the top brand that is Yamaha.

Mode 7 was nice and all but after seeing it a couple times it grew old very quickly. Always used to do the exact same things. There aren't that many creative uses.

but nothing ever took advantage of all of that
A ton of games take advantage of the SEGA-CD and are completely unthinkable on SNES. Actually, the SEGA-CD is the very example of everything that cannot be achieved by the SNES or MegaDrive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom