• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever "replace" a gaming soundtrack?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
In before "I listen to Podcasts while grinding in RPGs".

But seriously I played a lot of Doom growing up but never played all the way through the whole campaign. So in the mid 2000s I was in grad school and I had a disc copy of Doom 2. I thought fuck it I loaded it up and started from the beginning. But at the same time I was listening to a bunch of classic East Coast rap which I had in my queue to listen to.

So I ended up muting the doom 2 music, cranking up the sound FX, and playing my own soundtracks which was a mix of classic Nas, Mobb Deep and Smif n Wessen.

I know people will say its blasphemy, and it might be also due to the fact I was crazy blazed but this is one of my favorite gaming memories.

fart town usa

Gold Member
In Skate yea, I'd always play my own music. Not for much of anything else though.

Good call on the East Coast Hip Hop. My favorite era and what I'd usually have playing in Skate.

If I level grind I usually have 1 ear bud in and will listen to YouTube or something, I still have the game music playing though.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Excellent thread Dick, I used to rip my CDs to my OG Xbox and do this all the time, once I got driven insane by repeating the best tracks in Burnout Revenge so many time I had to switch it up a bit. I listened to Rage Against the Machine and Incubus while I smashed... cars. I smashed so many more cars than women in 2005/6.

Listening to stuff like this while I played slower paced games:

"I got this killa up inside of me, I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary!"

This middle-class white boy can relate to this line *nods sagely*

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Excellent thread Dick, I used to rip my CDs to my OG Xbox and do this all the time, once I got driven insane by repeating the best tracks in Burnout Revenge so many time I had to switch it up a bit. I listened to Rage Against the Machine and Incubus while I smashed... cars. I smashed so many more cars than women in 2005/6.

Listening to stuff like this while I played slower paced games:

"I got this killa up inside of me, I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary!"

This middle-class white boy can relate to this line *nods sagely*

This is officially a Hip Hop appreciation thread now.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Kuranghi

This is officially a Hip Hop appreciation thread now.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Yes! Can we get a mod in here to change the title? :messenger_tongue:

I know people will say its blasphemy, and it might be also due to the fact I was crazy blazed but this is one of my favorite gaming memories.

One time, in the accomodation where I was staying when I had the OG Xbox + giant subwoofered 5.1 setup my then dealer didn't have anywhere to stay (because he got locked out or some stupid shit a weed dealer would do) so I said he could stay there. He then proceeded to tell me he would have to bring his ginormous stash with him because he had just came back from seeing his mid-level guy.

I was like "Yes thats fine" without trying to sound to excited about the prospect of unlimited weed. To this day I've never been more high than that, we hotboxed the room so much it was like a steam room, you couldn't even see to the other side and it was like 2.5 x 2.5m :messenger_tears_of_joy: we tried to beat this one crash mode event in Burnout like 50 times in a row and we just kept doing the exact same thing every time and laughing over and over, amazingly eventually we actually got Gold by sheer rng luck (and maybe some good aftertouch but lets not go overboard on our contribution to these events).

We ran out of papers and made a pipe out of an apple but then it got all mushy so we made one from a can of Tennets lmao, must've been absolutely terrible for our lungs inhaling all that charred aluminium/coating :messenger_tears_of_joy: there was only one single bed and I felt bad making him sleep on the floor but also didn't want to sleep on the floor myself so staying up all night getting blazed (beyond blazed, lets say hyper-toasted) was "the only option".

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
In the times of Quake 3 Arena, UT, CS and the likes i used to play these games with the music of my choice. Even today i still discover games where i either don't like the soundtrack or it feels better with my own. I don't think that it is something unusual or even blasphemic.

There are however many games that would greatly suffer if you did this. Imagine Bloodborne with RAP music in the background for example. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But i don't think you would go that far.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah that's why I like spotify integration on playstation (though I guess it probably is exactly the same on xbox but not sure on Nintendo though) and its ability to controlled via app on the phone so I can easiy change it via voice or if my girlfriend wants to listen to a song.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yes! Can we get a mod in here to change the title? :messenger_tongue:

One time, in the accomodation where I was staying when I had the OG Xbox + giant subwoofered 5.1 setup my then dealer didn't have anywhere to stay (because he got locked out or some stupid shit a weed dealer would do) so I said he could stay there. He then proceeded to tell me he would have to bring his ginormous stash with him because he had just came back from seeing his mid-level guy.

I was like "Yes thats fine" without trying to sound to excited about the prospect of unlimited weed. To this day I've never been more high than that, we hotboxed the room so much it was like a steam room, you couldn't even see to the other side and it was like 2.5 x 2.5m :messenger_tears_of_joy: we tried to beat this one crash mode event in Burnout like 50 times in a row and we just kept doing the exact same thing every time and laughing over and over, amazingly eventually we actually got Gold by sheer rng luck (and maybe some good aftertouch but lets not go overboard on our contribution to these events).

We ran out of papers and made a pipe out of an apple but then it got all mushy so we made one from a can of Tennets lmao, must've been absolutely terrible for our lungs inhaling all that charred aluminium/coating :messenger_tears_of_joy: there was only one single bed and I felt bad making him sleep on the floor but also didn't want to sleep on the floor myself so staying up all night getting blazed (beyond blazed, lets say hyper-toasted) was "the only option".
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

You truly are The Highlander

Kuranghi

In the times of Quake 3 Arena, UT, CS and the likes i used to play these games with the music of my choice. Even today i still discover games where i either don't like the soundtrack or it feels better with my own. I don't think that it is something unusual or even blasphemic.

There are however many games that would greatly suffer if you did this. Imagine Bloodborne with RAP music in the background for example. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But i don't think you would go that far.

Imagine Quake 2 without the music, oh wait I don't have to because I was a filthy pirate back in the day and didn't even know it had music til someone loaned me the real disc, mind exploded out the back of my head on hearing Quad Machine:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Good integration of Spotify on PS4 - I used to sometimes listen to that instead of game noise on PES and Rocket League. Listen to music through my wireless headset for those types of games still buy anything like an FPS I have the game noise on.

Zannegan

No alternative soundtracks, but when I have time to kill, I'm usually listening to a book. That includes most of game time (though I have to pause for story heavy sections or intense fights). The system pretty much works for me because most game stories aren't worth a damn, and most game music doesn't hook me.

The downside is that I do occasionally miss out on an amazing soundtrack (I've been told Hollow Knight is sublime), and I get some strange associative memories when going back to a game or book. It's a little weird when Game of Thrones makes you flash back to Donkey Kong 3DS, but there you are.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I accidentally discovered leaving a music CD in the drive while playing team fortress classic would just play the tracks during gameplay. I listened to a lot of Linkin Park Hybrid Theory while playing TFC. Can't hardly make it through the album these days, but I still have fond memories.

I had a fucking sweet playlist on my OG Xbox's hdd for Burnout 3. I think it's still on there to this day. Need to hook it back up to check it out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When it's licensed music in games like racers etc.
Put some 90''s/2000's music on it instead

zaanan

Banned
Yes, when I used to play Descent, Doom and Duke Nukem on Linux, I would at least switch tracks around or use better versions/remakes of the tracks. Then I would switch them out for some industrial metal, like Ministry etc.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Imagine Quake 2 without the music, oh wait I don't have to because I was a filthy pirate back in the day and didn't even know it had music til someone loaned me the real disc, mind exploded out the back of my head on hearing Quad Machine:

This is an example where both would be ok. The original is good but the things i like would also fit.

If you'de go back to the original Quake i think the inherent soundtrack is a must. Really a thing for a game to game basis.

Naked Lunch

I dont know why - or how - but Wu Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers ended up being the background music to Final Fantasy 1 (!) on NES. We had a crew of kids in there every day playing thru an RPG of all things and learning the Wu Tang lyrics. Wild shit.

One friend is the dorkiest white boy you ever met but he can rap that whole album word for word - even to this day - all from those FF sessions.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I only change music in racing games. Turn on Spotify and play some hip hop or techno, anything with a good beat and simple rhythm makes for good driving music.

Danknugz

In before "I listen to Podcasts while grinding in RPGs".

But seriously I played a lot of Doom growing up but never played all the way through the whole campaign. So in the mid 2000s I was in grad school and I had a disc copy of Doom 2. I thought fuck it I loaded it up and started from the beginning. But at the same time I was listening to a bunch of classic East Coast rap which I had in my queue to listen to.

So I ended up muting the doom 2 music, cranking up the sound FX, and playing my own soundtracks which was a mix of classic Nas, Mobb Deep and Smif n Wessen.

same for me but with dr dre The Chronic on heavy rotation, mid 90s and smoking lots of schwag cause i was still in high school (born in 80)

theHFIC

I played a ton of QuakeWorld back in the day and Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar CD synced up perfectly second to only the game's Nine Inch Nails composed score on the CD. NIN's Broken EP was really good too except for when it was a long match and Track 6 Gave Up would transition into the silent tracks 7 through 97 before the two "hidden" songs would play.

R6Rider

Gold Member
For Gran Turismo 5 I had a good amount of music copied to the system from CDs I had and would play those during races.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I'd create my own Spotify playlists for games like FIFA, Football Manager, Gran Turismo etc and just listen to what I liked instead of silence/the awful soundtracks those games possess these days.

kunonabi

Despite loving the soundtrack I pretty much always played Wave Race 64 to They Might Be Giants' John Henry. That was the period of my youth where I would watch TV, play a game, and listen to music at the same time.

Zephir

Sonic Adventure DX on PC had the whole soundtrack on WMA files in a convenient folder... The possibilities were endless, from replacing them with SA2 tracks, to remixes, to absolute stupid replacement, just for fun

Bankai

Only on original Xbox, back when that was a new feature :)

Racing games like PGR with a custom soundtrack were pretty cool.

Top Bottom