• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you fall asleep while watching Villeneuve's Dune?

Did you fall asleep while watching Villeneuve's Dune?

• Total voters

KrakenIPA

Regarding The Onion article here.

Is falling asleep during a movie a bad thing? If the director has set the stage for the viewer to sink into a lucid state and we follow that path, do we remain a viewer?

I'm not eating the Onion here, I like snark as much as the next guy, but I feel it's a bit much for a tale so near to my heart, a tale I've been reading for 30 years. How bout you?

Last edited:

E-Cat

Crucially, the poll seems to be missing an option between heavy eyelids and "edge of my seat" invested. I'd wager >50% of people would fall under that category. So I can't choose any of the options.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

Crucially, the poll seems to be missing an option between heavy eyelids and "edge of my seat" invested. I'd wager >50% of people would fall under that category. So I can't choose any of the options.
I think you're right. I couldn't think of a mediocre choice haha! I am very excited about Dune 2, though (if that's the name of the movie).

No. Great movie and can't wait for Part 2.

The only movie that made me fall asleep was Blade Runner and not because it's bad. It's just such a relaxing cozy movie. There's something about that rainy dark and gritty neon lit setting with vangelis music and city background noises. It's such an amazing movie. It took me a few tries to get through it without falling asleep. I remember having to watch it during the day one weekend after having a nap so that I was wide awake.

and I guess Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 is also a movie that can put you to sleep since it's the same feeling as the original movie.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

The last few movies I can remember falling asleep for are whiz bang marvel movies (Iron Man 3 and Endgame) and Rise of Skywalker

Dune had my attention the entire time and left me wanting more.

The last few movies I can remember falling asleep for are whiz bang marvel movies (Iron Man 3 and Endgame) and Rise of Skywalker

Dune had my attention the entire time and left me wanting more.
The Dune movie got me interested enough to actually finally go read the book. I went down a Dune rabbit hole after seeing the movie. I'm excited for Part 2 but I'm not sure I'm up for seeing the other books adapted.

KrakenIPA

No. Great movie and can't wait for Part 2.

The only movie that made me fall asleep was Blade Runner and not because it's bad. It's just such a relaxing cozy movie. There's something about that rainy dark and gritty neon lit setting with vangelis music and city background noises. It's such an amazing movie. It took me a few tries to get through it without falling asleep. I remember having to watch it during the day one weekend after having a nap so that I was wide awake.

and I guess Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 is also a movie that can put you to sleep since it's the same feeling as the original movie.

Yes!! For me, BR2049 is so damn cozy, it's like a heated weighted blanket for my brain! Mr. Villeneuve's movies usually put me catatonic, but not Dune, haha!

AJUMP23

I thought it was really good. Maybe too much Spice dreaming, and would have liked to see some Sand Worm riding. I really feel like they only got through 1/3 of the book.

I am looking forward to part 2 the action. I was not ready to fall asleep and I was not on the edge of my seat. I was relaxed.

GreenAlien

It was very slow and the doctor somehow disabling the entire Atreides army was idiotic, but I made it through without falling asleep.

Hope the sequel is better.

Doom85

kanye west wtf GIF

Hell no, I didn’t. I mean, this is the kind of film that demands an IMAX screening, and if somebody was so tired they’d fall asleep with the volume that loud, why didn’t they see the film later when they were more rested? Also, the film had my attention the whole way through, the book never personally grabbed me, but Villeneuve’s top notch directing and cinematography matched with a solid cast had my attention the whole way through even if the story felt like an abridged version of the Stark/Lannister conflict in Game of Thrones book 1 (yes, I’m aware Dune was written first).

Absolutely solid film, though Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049 and then Prisoners are ahead of it in terms of what I’ve seen from the director. No worries, the rest of his filmography is definitely on my watch list.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I think it's mostly making fun of the average viewers that falls asleep to anything that isn't your corny superhero oneliners

sleipnir

Neo Member
Sleep? No f'ing way... I loved this film, despite knowing little about the book, and not having seen Lynch's version. I thought it would be impenetrable, but that was not the case, although I looked into certain aspects after out of interest. The visuals alone had me gripped, and I loved the mood and atmosphere as much as anything. I can't wait for part 2.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Heck no, very engaging movie in all aspects.

I've never in my life fallen asleep while watching a movie. If I'm not into a film I'll just turn it off and go do something else.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, I fell asleep for a few minutes of BR2049 though. Was already tired going in so unfair.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Similar to the new Blade Runner movie.

Great visuals, too long, a million panoramic scenes. Zzzzzz.

I didn't realize Dune was only part 1. No wonder it was so drawn out.

Both the original BR and Dune were better.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dune has good ideas, compelling story, lots of things happening, traditional high production movie.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Hell no. Favorite book. Favorite director.

I was fucking IN.

Only complaints are the soft ending which you can't really get around, lack of internal monologue (however that would be portrayed), and the not so great hand-to-hand combat in certain scenes (especially large battles).

I'm hyped out of my mind for part two.

Blade Runner 2049 is still Villenueve's GOAT IMO, but part two has a decent chance of being my favorite movie, but I have a feeling it will still be BR2049.

BossLackey

Gold Member
the doctor somehow disabling the entire Atreides army was idiotic
Doctor Yueh had undergone Imperial Conditioning. It's hard to emphasize just how trustworthy someone from the Suk Medical School is. To the point that it was thought by most in the empire that the conditioning was absolute, ironclad, and impossible to break. As such, Doctor Yueh was given the absolute highest degree of trust among the Atreides. A fact that the Baron used to his advantage, knowing the capture and torture of Yueh's wife was the one thing that could skirt Atreides defenses and bring it down from within. All it was was a shield wall. The Harkonnens still had to use 50 years of profits from the richest House in the galaxy and years of planning and the might of the Sardaukar to pull it off afterward. Any other efforts, even with the shield wall down, would have failed. This was an absolute hail mary years in the making that happened to work. It wasn't as easy as you're making it out to seem.

No one would give a second thought to Doctor Yueh being in weird places doing weird things. He was impossibly behind reproach to any and all in the Atreides organization.

Hope the sequel is better.

It will be. Part 1 was to set the audience up for what is to come in part 2. There's a lot that needed to be established first. Same with the book. It's a ton of name dropping and set dressing.

Dune part 1 is the tip of the tip of the iceberg that is the Dune universe.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I love this director and I was mesmerized for the first 45 minutes. I then got kinda bored and it took me a few sits to finish up.

Batiman

Banned
I was tired on my first watch. I started it too late and must’ve smoked too much before putting it on because I didn’t finish it. I liked everything about it but it’s a slow burn and hard too watch in that state. Watched it like 3 times since and enjoyed it a lot more. Excited for the next one.

I had the exact experience with fury road and the latest planet of the apes. Love them all though. I know when my mood will affect my viewing so I don’t really judge movies harshly in those circumstances.

Now I just won’t watch a movie I’m excited about until I’m in the perfect mood. I wonder how many critics judge movies badly when they’re in that state

NekoFever

The Onion has been missing a lot recently, but that story was just an example of what happens to your brain on superhero movies. Dune was fantastic.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I’ve not seen it yet, but Blade Runner 2049 had me checking my watch more than once in the cinema. It wasn’t a bad movie but it just seemed to drag on a bit!

Arrival was excellent though, and Sicario was absolutely outstanding.

I’ll definitely watch Dune, he’s clearly a great filmmaker.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't remember any other movie that kept me in constant awe at the visuals and music as Dune. I got goosebumps so many times from the insane cinematography. Beautiful movie. It was just a never-ending barrage to the senses.

I loved it, but I completely understand the criticism that it's a slow-burner with a TON of downtime. It definitely feels like a prologue.

Fbh

Nah I like it.

Though I did find it a bit underwhelming and I can actually see how someone who hasn't read the book might find it a bit boring.

GreenAlien

All it was was a shield wall.
That's part of the issue. They already new the emperor and the Harkonnen were going to come after them. So why were they totally unprepared? One would think they would at least keep a quarter of their army on standby at all times, yet all their ships were unmanned..
and then the soldiers all just run out of their fortifications to the vessels only to be gunned down before they reach them?

That's supposed to be the highly skilled army the emperor is growing wary of? A traitor isn't enough to explain that. If it was more believable in the books, then the movie did a bad job with that battle.

Last edited:
Nope, was amazing but they are right about one thing, cutting this in two? parts and at the most uninteresting moment kinda soured my experience with it a bit.

PSYGN

Some people need constant action or dialogue to keep them awake, but I find that I'm more stimulated by good visual and sound design which this movie had plenty of so no, I didn't fall asleep.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Denis Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors, but the theatrical sound mix was the sort of thing people make fun of Christopher Nolan for. There were scenes where I had to cover my ears, and times I couldn't understand the dialogue. My theater also had several people on their phones or whispering to each other, and a girl with really shitty perfume on, so honestly I have no idea if the movie's any good. I figure I have to try rewatching it at home. I think I'll still be kind of disappointed, I'm not a fan of Hans Zimmer's tendency to lean into loud as his main form of affecting the audience (he has occasional amazing scores), and there were some scenes that used those annoying, generic action movie trailer noises.
I'm sure I'll still enjoy it much more during a rewatch.

Just like with the new Blade Runner film, I knew I was in for something special after witnessing the first 15 minutes.

Thus my attention was held throughout the entire movie.

Also just like with the new Blade Runner film, I can understand if it feels too slower paced for more modern audiences. I guess having the perspective of sitting through older movies helps me engage with it the way it presents itself.

Edit: Also for anyone interested, I recommend watching this movie on a day where you don't have plans and can sit down, sit back, and enjoy. It's not meant to be a typical modern action/sci fi movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom