• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you fall asleep while watching Villeneuve's Dune?

Did you fall asleep while watching Villeneuve's Dune?

• Total voters

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Dune was fantastic. Excellent world-building, acting, story, action, and cinematography that lets you really take in the surroundings. Somehow Denis Villeneuve's movies have that Roger Deakins finesse and presentation even if Roger isn't working with him, like in the case of Dune.

Denis Villeneuve's streak of Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, and Dune is unassailable. I bet his other movies before that are good, too, but I haven't seen them.

He's one of the rare cases where a studio seems to have given a director a second chance after a flop (BR2049) because they realize how talented he is. The dude makes crowd-pleasing movies while still being a total auteur--you know one of his movies when you see it. That puts him up there with the likes of Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino, imo. Can't wait to see what else he makes in the future.

Marvel14

Banned
Crucially, the poll seems to be missing an option between heavy eyelids and "edge of my seat" invested. I'd wager >50% of people would fall under that category. So I can't choose any of the options.
Agreed...the movie defo drags in a couple of places but it is still stunning cinema.

StueyDuck

I guess if you were born in the marvel era or movies where it's all about quips and surface level current day social justice issues that will be largely forgotten in 5-10 years than yeah a movie with actual talking and actual political conversations would put them to sleep 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the sequel needs to add a girl boss or one of those generic style modern characters to keep people awake

I'd rather they stuck to source material because they mostly nailed it in part 1.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Dune was fantastic. Excellent world-building, acting, story, action, and cinematography that lets you really take in the surroundings. Somehow Denis Villeneuve's movies have that Roger Deakins finesse and presentation even if Roger isn't working with him, like in the case of Dune.

Denis Villeneuve's streak of Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, and Dune is unassailable. I bet his other movies before that are good, too, but I haven't seen them.

He's one of the rare cases where a studio seems to have given a director a second chance after a flop (BR2049) because they realize how talented he is. The dude makes crowd-pleasing movies while still being a total auteur--you know one of his movies when you see it. That puts him up there with the likes of Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino, imo. Can't wait to see what else he makes in the future.
I was shocked when I found out it was the force awakens cinematographer.

You can see it once you know. But still like you say it evokes deakins work almost to a T

Winter John

Gold Member
I been meaning to catch that movie, it looks good. I've tried to watch The Lighthouse 3 times now because I keep falling asleep during it.

sono

Gold Member
I loved it .When is the next one out?

There have been several attempts at realising the vision created by the book this version is the best by far

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think it was because he publicly admitted he fucked up with BR2049 and accidentally made a $200 million indie movie.

Dune is far more action packed, features popular younger actors, and is structured like an epic instead of a slow brooding drama like BR2049.

Both were my MOTY but audiences need more than Ryan Gosling appearing to be a real human being.

xrnzaaas

Not as much as the newer blade runner
Yeah for me his Blade Runner is nowhere near as interesting and enjoyable to watch (and rewatch) as the original. I've watched both movies one after another so it's not like I have a foggy memory of the first film - it still holds up really well.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I couldnt even get to halfway before getting bored. I mean i already saw the original and know exactly what will happen but still the movie is so by the book and so stale.

Durien

The only movie that made me fall asleep was Blade Runner and not because it's bad.
I have yet to make it past the 1st 20 minutes or so of the movie and I tried multiple times. I would smoke with my friends back in high school and would sleep until the end of the movie.
I used to smoke and watch plenty of movies but there is something about Blade Runner that my body says, "It's naptime."

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You know I didn't fall asleep but the screen I watched on was fucked so when the worm came out I couldn't see it.

AmuroChan

I loved it because I went in with the right expectation. Dune is not Fast & The Furious. It's not supposed to be a non-stop action blockbuster. It's a story-driven narrative that's going to have more exposition than your typical film.

Last edited:

Trilobit

[...] is structured like an epic instead of a slow brooding drama like BR2049.

That's one thing I really love about it. It has the pace of old epic movies. It doesn't feel like a shorter Marvel movie, but like something that has gravitas. I can rewatch it plenty of times because it sucks me in with the atmosphere and music. It's not just a story, but an experience.

This and Blade Runner are probably my favorite imax experiences ever. I don’t know what WB was thinking not including the imax scenes on blu ray. I can watch it over and over and did it’s job because I got into the Dune universe because of the movie.

I intentionally built out a nice sound system in the media room because of this movie and it was a huge reason I got a dedicated 4k blu ray player.

Yes it’s not fast and furious/transformers or some other explosive garbage diarrhea

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I have yet to make it past the 1st 20 minutes or so of the movie and I tried multiple times. I would smoke with my friends back in high school and would sleep until the end of the movie.
I used to smoke and watch plenty of movies but there is something about Blade Runner that my body says, "It's naptime."
detector heresy GIF

Blade Runner is glorious noir, the sequel is hot poo.

Pilgrimzero

I was more disappointed that I spent 2 hours watching half of the story. And this film being nothing but set up for the actual plot.

QSD

Haha, boy yeah that Onion article hit the nail on the head actually. I mean, I did like the new Blade Runner, but Dune as a story is just far too batshit to be well adapted into a 100% serious movie without any humour (or other acknowledgement of the craziness) *at all*. I mean, the book itself is also extremely serious and haughty in tone, but if you try to explain the plot to anyone who isn't into scif-fi or smth, you will soon realize how batshit it all is.

A good Dune movie needs to acknowlegde this IMHO. Look to the new D&D movie to see how you make a movie set in a batshit world (with displacer beasts and shit) that works with the craziness but still has heart. Simply draining the world of colour and furniture ain't it.

The best film/tv adaption imaginable of Dune was always going to be an anime, the nature of the story just 100% lends itself to that style much better than any movie.

Lunarorbit

I fell asleep watching the new Batman the 2nd time I saw it. Shit just dragged out for way too long.

Valerian and the 1000 planets though.... I don't remember if I fell asleep or just turned it off but that was the last time I didn't make it through a movie I hadn't seen before. Shit was bad

Paltheos

I did, actually. It's not the movie being slow or long either - I enjoyed Blade Runner 2049. I think Dune was just boring. Really boring.

Top Bottom