• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know Splatterhouse (remake/2010) has TWO versions ?

I did a post about this on the Halloween games thread, but the story can be shocking for some, so i decided to create a thread for the sake of information! :)

Well,

Due the mess of Splatterhouse production, there's two different games. One completed beta by (ex) Bottlerocket, and one from Namco team.

Namco rejected the Bottlerocket version (what makes the company closes its door for good). So they cancelled the game, and a week later said the game "will be release as planned".

With no time, Namco got 80% of Bottlerocket assets, made some changes and HUGE cuts, then released the game...

A friend of mine tried to sell the full Bottlerocket beta on (now dead Assembler) and got issued by Nanco.

Surpisely i didn't know he worked at Bottlerocket until 4 years ago. It's funny cose i tried hard to contact him (unecessary lol), because i wanted that version so bad. As i said here, im a huge fan.

The Nanco trucks stopped in front of the office and got everything from them in the morning, got them off guard, so just DulledBlade was fast enough to get a copy. Not even Jay Beard, (ex) owner of BottleRocket has a copy...I talked with him myself.

https://worthplaying.com/article/20...ies-of-splatterhouse-all-hit-the-net-for-675/

All i can say is: It's two complete different games, and Namco are assholes. One day in the morning, without warning, they simple put the trucks in front of Bottlerocket office and took all pcs/xbox kits.

I like more the Bottlerocket version, much more gore, Rick is a badass monster, more enemies, monsters, bosses, more "realistic" graphics, and I'd love to share more info, but i can't.

It plays like an evolution of Rise of the Kasai, but with more freedom to do the fatalities and moves. The game has more bosses, more enemies, Rick is GIANT, a true monster, and the story and cutscenes keeps the same in the final product.

I did some videos long time ago, with exclusive contents from the beta version, animation process, what moves was cut from the final game and more. In this version u can also summon dead demons to fight on your side.

Well, i liked the Namco version, framerate is better, but 50% of the entire game was cut, from moves to enemies, bosses, and unnecessary redesign of Rick and some monsters. (Now u know why on the final game, Rick and some monsters in cutscenes are different...)

Bottlerocket version;

Namco Version (final retail version);

Some videos i uploaded with some exclusive alpha footage and moves that was cut from the final game..(God knows why Namco did that...);

Last edited:

Pejo

Interesting story OP. I didn't even know there was a remake to the arcade game and Genesis sequels though, which are the only ones I've ever played. Sucks that Namco gutted the remake, but there were probably some deciding factors behind the decisions they made, whether they were good reasons or not, who knows.

Interesting story OP. I didn't even know there was a remake to the arcade game and Genesis sequels though, which are the only ones I've ever played. Sucks that Namco gutted the remake, but there were probably some deciding factors behind the decisions they made, whether they were good reasons or not, who knows.
Namco said the game had "technical issues", but Jay Beard (Bottlerocket owner) said it was a LIE.

Namco version is great, i love, but its hard to see how much was cut, even original soundtracks.
It's two different games that would be just one.

Last edited:
I didn't realize splatterhouse was an arcade game. I didn't even realize it was on the genesis. I always thought it was a TurboGraphX original game.

baphomet

Yea I was around when dude was trying to sell the beta on assembler.

And thus assembler stopped allowing current gen beta/review builds to be sold on there.

coffinbirth

Has that build since been sold? If you are still in contact with him, surely he has a copy, right? I'd be game for throwing down on a bounty to get a copy and liberate it into the wild. Would LOVE to be able to play the original version.

Really, really sorry for some lack of information, i have tons of stories to tell, not only Splatterhouse.
Yes, im an average joe, but i have my 2 cents on the game industry and i can't reveal, i can't say for legal demand, and i can ruin my 2 cents on the industry if i tell much. But u guys have played many games with my "name" on the credits.

Last edited:
Has that build since been sold? If you are still in contact with him, surely he has a copy, right? I'd be game for throwing down on a bounty to get a copy and liberate it into the wild. Would LOVE to be able to play the original version.
Only two people has this build. Not even Jay Beard has a copy. Im a lucky guy ? Maybe, with serious consequences. That's why i can't say more. I explained on this very thread why.

It's a puzzle, if you find someone trying to sell you the exactly BOTTLEROCKET version, its a case that will open again on justice.

This beta is the most controversial ever.

If you find, send me a message and i free my friend from tons of justice issues. Because he didn't sell to nobody.

Last edited:

KungFuMan316

Neo Member
Forgive the bump, I've been trying for awhile to get in here, but I do have some more info regarding the Bottlerocket build of the game at least, specifically in that I actually have some old workfiles related to the game when it was under their development. Sadly the files are mainly in Maya format, and there's no pipeline to get them into anything close to game ready. One particular bit that was salvageable from that were level layout design documents for the Shantytown/Meat Factory, Islands, and Nazi Base seen here:

For some context I've been hunting down files for the game to restore content back into the Xbox 360 version of it. While I've gotten stuff as far back as the June 2010 beta, there's a lot of stuff still missing in between, even as far as 2009 under Bottlerocket. I can show some of my work on my youtube channel if it's okay to link the videos here?

It's a puzzle, if you find someone trying to sell you the exactly BOTTLEROCKET version, its a case that will open again on justice.

This beta is the most controversial ever.

If you find, send me a message and i free my friend from tons of justice issues. Because he didn't sell to nobody.

Is Dulledblade still around? I've tried more than once over the years to buy the files from him, even just the files minus the XEXs to run it. If you're able to talk to him or have a line to those files, I would be down for a decent bounty on them.

I hope the necro was okay. I've been trying to get in touch with you on this for awhile now.

Last edited:
The game and its development def deserves to be talked about more imo
Totally agree!! And that message wasn't for you at all! ;)
Your summon was genuine! Lol

I had SO much headache about that beta, man... It's really complicated!
We can talk on private obout it! :)

Last edited:
So has the Bottlerocket build actually leaked yet?
Only two person has the "Completed BottleRocket Beta" version.
I know the guy and he got fuc*** by Nanco because of his post on (ex) Assembler trying to sell.

Nobody will see this version shared, because one copy is from DulledBlade and the other copy is on the hands of his trustworthy friend.

A betrayal can happen, but won't in this case! ;)
And if he share, more problems for him...

So... Complicated.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Splatter house was messed up with they made it a full on beatem up. That’s not what original was. There were a lot of one hit kills that made it a ton of fun.
Namco version seemed closer to the originals concept.

Splatter house was messed up with they made it a full on beatem up. That’s not what original was. There were a lot of one hit kills that made it a ton of fun.
Namco version seemed closer to the originals concept.
Actually no.
Nanco version has much more long combos than the Bottlerocket version...

Yes they did some stages to homage the classics, but imo was rushed and did not fit well on the game overall design. It's just there...!

Top Bottom