• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like max Payne 3 and possibilties of 4

Thewonandonly

I'm sitting here watching the top ten opening video game cinimatics for watch mojo and I see max Payne 3 is number 8. That got me thinking max Payne 3 was fucking incredible the first time through.

the story the tail of a once undercover cop working as a body guard in Brazil was awsome. The way they portray max Payne was awsome. I was really captivated by his voice over telling the story and I thought it really added character. To be honest tho the second time going through it tuff becuasue you know what going on and it's not so intense.

the levels wow their are some stand out set pieces from this game. The very first mission is awsome how your just at a party then gangster kidnap them and you have to fight through the party. The ending where you slide down the roof into a pool is awsome every time. Also the level where your in the club is awsome and really trippy. I love the dub step in the background.

gameplay Rockstar did a perfect job with the slow mo. It's so awsome the just dive out of cover and pop heads. It's some of the most satisfing shooting of a 3rd person out their. Just really excellent and they knocked it out of the park.

Also what are the chances of a max Payne 4? Has there been any rumors out there? Would you want one?

on mobile and really high so this thread may suck but I loved this game :)

Kaversmed

max3j4atm.gif

Hell yeah, gimme more of that ^^^^

J.D

Best Story = Max Payne 1
Best Controls= Max Payne 2
Best Gameplay= Max Payne 3

I really wish there was a Max Payne 4, and please give me the noir style back, and Mona Sax too!

Thewonandonly

Best Story = Max Payne 1

I really wish there was a Max Payne 4, and please give me the noir style back, and Mona Sax too!
See I've never played and max Payne before so they did a perfect job of catching me up on the story. Mabey HD remake ;)

LeonSPBR

MP3 was fucking awesome. I finished this game 5 times, and you can easily find people playing the MP of this game. The song were amazing, the level design of this game was incredible and as a person who live in São Paulo where the game happened, they did an incredible job of recreating in this game, bot the rich São Paulo with the fancy buildings and offices, and the poor São Paulo with the favelas well created. I love this game, and now thanks to this thread I might restart MP3 again.

Max Payne 3 might be my favorite third person shooter of all time.

I'd love a Max Payne Collection on current platforms, as well as a fourth entry.

Thewonandonly

MP3 was fucking awesome. I finished this game 5 times, and you can easily find people playing the MP of this game. The song were amazing, the level design of this game was incredible and as a person who live in São Paulo where the game happened, they did an incredible job of recreating in this game, bot the rich São Paulo with the fancy buildings and offices, and the poor São Paulo with the favelas well created. I love this game, and now thanks to this thread I might restart MP3 again.
I know I really want to to :) wonder if it's pax wards combat able m.

RyoonZ

Banned
I don't like this game, can't finish it even on easy but I can beat Uncharted, Spec Ops The Line and other TPS on hardest mode but I would like a sequel but it seems people want single player GTA DLC more

SJRB

Gold Member
Max Payne 3 is an amazing game. Best played in one or two goes so you really get immersed in Max's insane journey.

Also have to give the game massive kudos for picking that non-traditional setting. Great visuals, amazing soundtrack. Some misses though, like the "last chance" mechanic being kinda janky and Max dropping the weapons you're carrying in between cutscenes.

I really hope Max will return someday.

Tarnpanzer

MP3 was a very good game, but not a good Max Payne game. Where was the noir style? Max Payne at daylight simply isn´t Max Payne. I also hated his bold head and his beard.

Those levels in the past in new york were by far the best in MP3 thou.

J.D

Serious question what's the difference between controls and gameplay?

There's something about MP2 that makes the movement of the character feel a lot less clunky than the other two titles. Max just feels a lot more fluid and has more moves like bullet time spin to reload and dodge at the same time. With that said, you can beat MP2 on the hardest mode without much effort IMO. MP3 is really really hard, I feel the gameplay is better than the other two.

Peterpan

MP3 was a very good game, but not a good Max Payne game. Where was the noir style? Max Payne at daylight simply isn´t Max Payne. I also hated his bold head and his beard.

Those levels in the past in new york were by far the best in MP3 thou.
It's called Neo noir. Max Payne 3 is very much a noir game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Best shooting mechanics in antmy third person action game. That airport level.. the office level.. perfection

the story is really bland tho

sn00zer

Loved MP3, its easily the most fun game in the series to play. Also really loved the high society settings, use of music, and the fact that Max loses in the stor A LOT way more than I was expecting.

I have loved Max Payne since the first one released back in 2001. I still have the PC version with DVD case, manuals and everything. Although the setting and noir were very different, I loved Max Payne 3 too. It is one of my favourite games of last gen. Soundtrack is amazing as well – I’m listening to it as I type this.

I very much look forward to a Max Payne 4, I really hope we will see it in the future. Please Rockstar.

Whompa02

Huge Max Payhe fan. The story was terrible. Personally hated it. Turned me so off about halfway through and slogged over weeks and months to finish it. I seriously never felt so unmotivated to finish a game.

Gameplay was okay but too loose for what it wanted you to do.

Multiplayer was interesting. Nice to see slow motion in multiplayer. Wish it was in a more compelling game though.

Only way another Max Payne would be interesting to me is if Remedy handled it.

Samaritan

I sometimes feel like one of the only people alive who not only thoroughly enjoyed that game, but honestly loved the hell out of it. The tone, the music, the shooting, it was all very good. While the possibility of a Max Payne 4 seems rather unrealistic, it would be odd for R* to acquire the IP only to put out a single game and shelve the franchise moving forward.

Mezoly

It was the only Max Payne game that I've finished. The gameplay had a hook on me that very few games ever had on me. I would love a sequel.

LeonSPBR

I sometimes feel like one of the only people alive who not only thoroughly enjoyed that game, but honestly loved the hell out of it. The tone, the music, the shooting, it was all very good. While the possibility of a Max Payne 4 seems rather unrealistic, it would be odd for R* to acquire the IP only to put out a single game and shelve the franchise moving forward.

Definitely not the only one. This was easily one of the best game of last gen, and an another amazing game R* put out.

I thought the game was great but I don't expect Rockstar to ever make another one. I don't think it did well for them financially.

eXistor

I liked it mechanically, but the later levels were boring, repetitive and drab. When Max got to the slums the game overstayed its welcome for me. I'd like a sequel, but one that goes back to its noir roots.

loved everything about mp3 from the single player to multiplayer. I miss the cheesy one liners from when you get kills or get killed in multiplayer. I also miss the main menu theme music, where can I find that track and the Max Payne 3 soundtrack?
edit, I see someone posted the soundtrack in the thread but it doesn't have the track from the main menu, I miss hearing that main menu theme.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Max Payne 2 is my favourite in series but I loved MP3's awesome gunplay and revisionist take on the character. The Police Station level is one of the best in the series, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see Max Payne 4 but I'd rather see a Mona Sax spin-off (like Mona The Assassin mod). I think she has a ton of untapped potential.

I'd also like to see a return to MP2's superb bullet-time system. It's never been beaten in my eyes.

jonno394

I adored Max Payne 3. Free aim and hard mode from the off. It was a challenge, but man was it rewarding.

Flashback levels were great, and my favourite part, especially the graveyard, and had the feel of the originals, but some of the levels in the "present" like the stadium and the police station were just down right awesome to be a part of.

Not too sure where they could go with Max Payne 4, a reboot?

LeonSPBR

loved everything about mp3 from the single player to multiplayer. I miss the cheesy one liners from when you get kills or get killed in multiplayer. I also miss the main menu theme music, where can I find that track and the Max Payne 3 soundtrack?

Search within youtube for the songs. They have them all and a few that's only in the game.

I really like the AI in 3. They flank you aggressively. If you wait too long and play it safe, you're dead.

Yeah the enemies in MP3 isn't afraid to take a few bullets if means that they will be able to shoot you as well.

It's a shit stain on the Max Payne franchise. An average game with a terrible, terrible story that had no idea what to do with the Max Payne canon. Rockstar trying to be edgy as shit as usual and missing what makes max max by a million miles

KonradLaw

I liked it. Neither the story nor the gameplay was up to Max Payne 2 levels, but viewed separatelly it was a damn fine third person shooter.

Awesome game though Rockstar really should have trimmed down the amount of cutscenes. I don't need to watch a cutscene of Max walking through a damn door.

And the game had well-written dialogue but the story loses steam early on and becomes boring as fuck just like all other Rockstar stories. They should let someone other than the Housers get a try.

I didn't really like Max at all in it and his rants or reflections bordered on annoying monologues, but the rest of the story was alright... at the very least, it made for a cool backdrop for some wetwork, a stylish Max re-design, and an awesome soundtrack.

I always got tired of it in longer doses but it was a bad ass game to play in short sessions after work each night. Still load it up once and awhile just to take bald Max and shoot shit up.

KAP151

Great action and gunplay, but boy did it overstay its welcome. By the time I reached the final level I was over the game. Dragged on forever.

Still, I would be there day 1 for a 4th installment.

Morat

Banned
Best Story = Max Payne 1

My thoughts exactly. One thing I loved about 3 was the way you could see Max carrying whatever weapons you had picked up, shooting a pistol with one hand and a rifle under his arm for example.

Bl@de

I love all Max Payne games and I want a sequel. The new style (bald Max) in South America was a great setting after the grim New York games.

:)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shit stain on the Max Payne franchise. An average game with a terrible, terrible story that had no idea what to do with the Max Payne canon. Rockstar trying to be edgy as shit as usual and missing what makes max max by a million miles

What made "max max" was Sam Lake. The Housers don't have the chops to match him, so they went for a revisionist take on the character that played to their strengths and, for my money, landed somewhere quite interesting (PTSD, Mighty Whitey). I've no doubt they would've fallen flat on their faces if they tried to replicate his brand of symbol heavy, Lynchian story telling. On top of that, each game so far has had a markedly different Max from the previous one, so he's always been in somewhat of a state of flux, even under the hand of Sam Lake.

The plot itself is a pretty straightforward classic noir (plot holes and everything) though it borrows a little too much from one source early on (Man on Fire), I think it ends up having something fairly unique to say (in terms of the series).

What I thought was a particularly brave move was setting it in Sao Paulo. It's the complete inverse of 'Noir York City': garish, colourful and incredibly alienating. Where New York was was very much an ally in previous games, São Paulo pretty much hated him top to bottom.

Felt so good getting bullet time kills like this in multiplayer.

Ah, man. Loved Free Aim multiplayer. One of the few games I was any good at :D

Krooner

I adored the first two games and was so excited for 'Max Payne 3', I played the first two games through in the run up to release. the GBA port too!

While I appreciated MP3 in terms of technicality, it never felt like a Max Payne game to me. Payne was all about taking on those seemingly insurmountable odds, rolling into a room and leaping about picking everyone off. If you tried that in '3' you'd be killed pretty quickly. It was a cover shooter with a bit of bullet time thrown in.

It's my biggest gaming disappointment of the last generation. Conflicting, because I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Max Payne in name only. If they do another one I think they'd need to get Sam Lake involved in some capacity. Scripting, or hands on consultancy. I really missed that 'Remedy' feel in the third game.

GeeTeeCee

It might actually be my favourite of the three games. I appreciate that it went for a different tone rather than attempt to rehash the noir vibe Remedy had, and I honestly love the story, dialogue and the performance of Max's voice actor. I'd kill for a fourth game.

Oh, and dat soundtrack. I became an instant HEALTH fan.

Top Bottom