• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like max Payne 3 and possibilties of 4

MP3 is alike to MGS V
both have greatest gameplay in the series and arguably genres.
but deviations from the original plot and formulas had some fans frustrated.

on topic: gimme more of dat Payne

conman

The first two Max Payne games were outstanding in so many ways. Great storytelling, excellent shooting mechanics, gorgeous levels.

MP 3 was really fun and totally surprising in many ways. But it didn't feel anything like a Max Payne game. Just a crazy, wild, Michael Mann-fest using the MP name. I loved it, but I don't need a sequel.

Rellik

I just re-played it on PC and it's still as awesome as I remember it being.

It also still looks beautiful when maxed out.

SinShep

Kr80vM.gif

Goddamn Django Unchained tactics here.

I really need to play this again.

Con_Smith

Banned
Loading times aside, game was up there with the greats last gen. I will forever evangelize the multiplayer experience and hope rockstar at least makes 3 available again if they aren't making 4.

Daft Punk

Banned
Enjoyed MP3, but honestly by the end of the game I was ready to be done with it. It's a good send off for the series and I think it should be left at that.

spuckthew

How have the original two aged? I have them sitting in my Steam library but have shamefully never played either despite MP3 probably being my favourite third-person shooter mechanically. The story was fine, but man is replaying it a chore with those cutscenes and loading times. I tried to a couple weeks ago but uninstalled after the third mission because it was too much.

jet1911

How have the original two aged? I have them sitting in my Steam library but have shamefully never played either despite MP3 probably being my favourite third-person shooter mechanically. The story was fine, but man is replaying it a chore with those cutscenes and loading times. I tried to a couple weeks ago but uninstalled after the third mission because it was too much.

First one is kinda dated but still good. Second one is fantastic and there's a loooooooooot of mods for it.

Love it. My favorite third person shooter. I'd like another one, but I don't know how that would work storywise.

Edit: I'm surprised people still believe the first two games have good stories in 2016.

Simo

Goddamn Django Unchained tactics here.

I really need to play this again.

LOL I know right?

Pretty much why I'm so fucking excited to see what they'll do with Red Dead should they decide to expand on the gunplay or what exactly the new generation of Euphoria and the RAGE engine can do without being a port or remaster like GTAV.

I thought it was pretty good and I'd be interested in seeing where a sequel could go but I don't think the game sold well enough to justify a sequel being made

Simo

I thought it was pretty good and I'd be interested in seeing where a sequel could go but I don't think the game sold well enough to justify a sequel being made

Max Payne 3 sold around 4 million copies but the success of their other games including the ridiculous amount of bank from GTAV, if Rockstar felt the need or wanted to make a Max Payne 4 they would.

I mean Max Payne 2 sold worse than the first game and Rockstar still went ahead with a third entry.

Alfredo

MP3 is alike to MGS V

At least they brought back James McCaffrey to voice Max Payne. I remember when Max Payne 3 was first announced, they said they weren't, and I was immediately put into "nope, not buying" mode. Thankfully they changed their minds.

I really want a current gen remaster for Max Payne 3 on Xbox One/PS4. Get that thing running on 60 FPS on console, and find a way to skip cutscenes, and it'd be incredible.

Duxxy3

Loved the first two. Hated the third one. Probably would not play the fourth unless Remedy was developing it.

Bishop89

i thought the gameplay was fantastic, and even the mp was great.

Those unskippable cutscenes though, never laying the game again because of them :(

Bandit1

I really like Max Payne 3, gameplay is 10/10 but I wasn't entirely happy with how Rockstar handled the character and the story.

DirtyLarry

I just re-played it on PC and it's still as awesome as I remember it being.

It also still looks beautiful when maxed out.
You know this thread made me realize I need to do the exact same thing so I got a new PC recently. Does it have decent graphical settings and all that?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
MP3 is alike to MGS V

Except MP3 is not better gameplay wise than MP2. MP2 is a far better controlling TPS. MP3 is typical Rockstar over animated gameplay where responsiveness is sacrificed for animation fluidity. Not to mention it has the worst pacing in the series with game breaking interupptions every 2 minutes.because of stupid cutscenes. MGSV controls like a dream and sets the bar for all TPS in terms of responsiveness. MP3 is not in the same league imo.

antitrop

Vancouver was only one out of the 6 or so branches involved in the development.
Well yeah, Rockstar develops games like Ubisoft, with all of their studios around the world pitching in help, but there is still a core/lead studio laying out the design. Vancouver was in the lead there.

I suppose a MP4 could come out of Rockstar Toronto, but I don't personally see that happening when they have Red Dead and GTA.

Another Red Dead was a sure thing coming off the success of Redemption and it's taken us 6 years just to get rumors of it finally existing.

Elixist

1 and 2 are awesome love the style and play. 3 was ok outside a couple scenes it was forgettable for me. I'd be most interested in a Remedy part 4.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it enough to beat it in a single sitting.

legacyzero

Banned
Hell no. Nothing like the Max Payne that I know and love.

Id like a reboot TBH. Same noir, same comic like narrative, etc.

tci

I loved 1 and 2. Never cared much about trying 3 at all. From the previews it seems too focus on combat and tech. Going by by he thread it seems the action is the only thing people remember. Remedy did amazing story telling in the first games. 1 a tad better tho.

I'd rather have MP let go tbh than having Rockstar continue. The story has been told. I hope Remedy can come back with a bang. Sadly I feel they have lost their touch in a way.

Angry Fork

No because it abandoned the things I liked most about Max Payne 1/2. The gameplay/shooting was fine but I care about that the least. I don't want another Rockstar Max Payne game, only Remedy can do it justice.

Dat airport level, when TEARS starts playing you know it's go time
the entire soundtrack was awesome. the Panama track is one of my favorite 'working at computer' tracks.

must have dozens of hours listening to it. up there with the Vampire TM Bloodlines, Deus Ex/DXHR, and GTA V for most daily use

So, I've spent a week in Sao Paulo this month. It's actually a fantastic city, hahaha.

Yes, I loved Max Payne 3. It's different, but amazing in a different way. It's basically Max Payne filtered through Die Hard. I loved it. Wanna replay it. They captured the feel of the city for sure in some sections.

And a Max Payne 4? Hell yeah. Heck, I made a thread of ideas for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802515

I'd merge plot elements from all the games to create one cohesive, insane finale. Cross-country journey from LA to New York, hitting the Midwest, South, Northeast, etc. It'd be episodically structured, like a miniseries. Ideas for combat scenarios, enemy types, and bosses in each episode.

Some enemies I was thinking of:

- Surviving Crecho Prato members from MP3 hunting Max in a swampy area
- NYC Mob
- Meth heads from the midwest
- Corrupt LAPD units hunting Max in the Southcentral area of LA.
- Cartel assassins in the Southwest
- A serial killer hunting him in a burning forest (makes sense contextually)
- Elite, well-equipped killers in New York
- A Drive-style assassin in a high-octane car chase across the desert

You basically can get all these types of enemies by a mysterious villain offering a crazy high bounty on Max's head, him being forced to protect another person, and going on the run with them. Plot twists abound.

It'd be stylistically like a Fincher film. Hannibal-esque dream sequences. James McCaffrey back. Elements of a Lethal Weapon-esque buddy comedy on downers throughout the first half of the game.

Here's the media I was thinking of as I came up with my ideas (most of which aren't written here):

Drive. A character similar to Ryan Gosling's to serve as an antagonist that chases Max across a desert.

Hannibal-esque dream sequences. The return of the nightmares from 1 and 2, but done in a more modern format.

Wolf Creek. A horrific feeling of being chased by a monstrous thing that enjoys what it does. I was toying with the idea that forest somehow goes ablaze, this killer has a pack of dogs, and they chase Max throughout the level.

I have some more ideas.. Maybe I'll post them later if people are interested.

Anyone else want to see a Max Payne 1 (and eventually 2) remake running on a version of MP3's engine polished for the current gen? I think that'd be lovely. The only reason I long for another Max Payne game is because 3's gameplay deserves another chance in the spotlight. And I think most people would get down with that rather than a Max Payne 4. Personally, I feel 3 ended the series on a good note.

Top Bottom