• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DidYouKnowGaming: Retro Studio cancelled a Star Fox game for the WiiU called "Star Fox Armada"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here are some of the more notable points:

– Art style would have been like the puppet aesthetic seen in the series’ early promo images
– Would have continued where Star Fox 64 ended in terms of story and gameplay
– Fox would never get out of his ship
– Following the defeat of Andross, general Pepper realizes that Corneria and the Lylat System need to be rebuilt
– War with Andross left the Cornerian government with a lack of resources needed to rebuild the military and civilian sectors
– Pepper hires Star Fox, and their mission is to search nearby systems for allies and resources
– Fox and his crew will discover a threat even more imposing than Andross
– Intended to combine classic Star Fox 64 gameplay with new open world and multiplayer mechanics
– Single-player would have players taking on missions aboard the Great Fox and travel to planets, sectors, installations, and asteroid belts to complete them
– Earn money that can be given to Corneria, upgrade your ships, or buy new ones like the Land Master tank and Blue Marine submarine
– Choose how many resources to send back to aid in Corneria’s reconstruction and how much to keep for yourself
– Optional side quest missions planned that would lean into the more mercenary angle
– Less linear and more of a mission-based structure
– Fox can walk around the various decks in what amounts to an interactive menu
– GamePad would emulate a ship’s control panel with info about current mission, which parts damaged by enemy damage
– For co-op, player 1 would use a Wii Remote and nunchuck while player 2 would use the GamePad to be the ship’s gunner with a 360 degree view, repair and control shields
– Could play online with a friend or a group to complete missions in multiple ships
– Battle mode planned with dogfights
– “Armada” name comes into play since it encourages you to build up your own squadron
– Could design your own anthropomorphic characters
– Game would have other online players dropping down on you like with Star Wolf showing up in Star Fox 64, but this was optional
– DLC intended with new ships, missions, planets over time

diffusionx

Gold Member
Seems like it went nowhere after the pitch, evidently Nintendo thought it wiser to waste their time on dog shit Zero.

We still don't know just what they did after DKCTF.

SaintALia

Disingenuous to call a game pitch a "cancelled" game, but Did You Know Gaming needs their views I suppose.
TBF only the OP called the game 'cancelled'.

'– Choose how many resources to send back to aid in Corneria’s reconstruction and how much to keep for yourself
– Optional side quest missions planned that would lean into the more mercenary angle'

Star Fox aren't really that kind of 'mercenaries'. It's like when Nintendo calls Samus a 'bounty hunter' I feel.

I like some of the ideas I guess, but StarFox 64(which this would be a continuation to) is basically an arcade game. The video mentioned it was short....but that wasn't the point, it was to encourage multiple playthroughs and path choices, but this seemingly wants to bog down the gamer with a lot of busywork. The idea that you have the buy the Landmaster and sub, instead of having unique missions crafted entirely around them for example, seems lame to me.

I feel we got some of these ideas in Starlink no? A StarFox game based off Starlink with some of these elements would be cool.

diffusionx

Gold Member
TBF only the OP called the game 'cancelled'.

'– Choose how many resources to send back to aid in Corneria’s reconstruction and how much to keep for yourself
– Optional side quest missions planned that would lean into the more mercenary angle'

Star Fox aren't really that kind of 'mercenaries'. It's like when Nintendo calls Samus a 'bounty hunter' I feel.

I like some of the ideas I guess, but StarFox 64(which this would be a continuation to) is basically an arcade game. The video mentioned it was short....but that wasn't the point, it was to encourage multiple playthroughs and path choices, but this seemingly wants to bog down the gamer with a lot of busywork. The idea that you have the buy the Landmaster and sub, instead of having unique missions crafted entirely around them for example, seems lame to me.

I feel we got some of these ideas in Starlink no? A StarFox game based off Starlink with some of these elements would be cool.
The problem is that StarFox 64 is basically the perfect StarFox game, yet as you point out, it’s an arcade game, and full price arcade games don’t fly (lmao) the way they did in 1997. So you almost have to put in more stuff, yet that detracts from the StarFox formula, which is, as I said, already perfected. Nintendo basically designed a game that was too good on N64.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Join Q-Games CEO Dylan Cuthbert, Lead Programmer on the original Star Fox, as he celebrates 30 years of spacefaring action. Dylan provides commentary on a playthrough of the original title, reveals development secrets, answers fan questions and shares insider stories about his time working at Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom