• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Die Hard; the original Christmas video game....and a Metroid Dread giveaway because it's December and I love you! Whats your fav xmas game?

GametimeUK

I associate Wind Waker and getting my GameCube with Christmas. Wind Waker is my "Christmas game". Every once in a while a game comes along that recaptures a bit of that magic and I have to say last year it was The Last Guardian at 60fps on PS5 for me. What an experience

k0aldo3qaa621.gif

Old Retro

As others have said, Nights Into Dreams. I have the bloated/super deformed/anime style controller tucked away somewhere...

072f5292-f300-11e5-9064-5fafcb3af6a2.jpg

VGEsoterica

Dunno if I can say it's a favorite (yet), but I'm currently playing Napple Tale (Dreamcast) and I love the whimsical atmosphere it has. You can tell they did a lot of worldbuilding in the game, can't wait to get deeper into it.

But I'm only really bringing it up because it's one of the games I'm playing currently and it just happens to during Christmas season. I do think it's a good fit for a Christmas-style game though.

Same here; I've started up two playthroughs for it in the past but both of them died with either my memory card or my system (PS3 in the latter's case). Didn't get super-far in either but when I'm ready to try a 3rd time I'll have to blitz through the opening areas.

But it'll have to wait a while, got enough JRPGs either on the dock or in the query to play for a few months. As for PE2 story timeline, it takes place in September over a few days.
Napple Tale is such a charming game and now that it’s in English it’s finally fully playable too

Kikorin

My Christmas game was Turok on GameCube. As a kid I played so much of it in multiplayer with my brother, good time (and probably bad game, but I liked it so much).

DryvBy

What's that game where you clean up the workshop for Santa because there's blood everywhere? It's on Steam. That's the one though.

Napple Tale is such a charming game and now that it’s in English it’s finally fully playable too
Yep; I was surprised at how much dialog and story is actually in there. Closest reference point is probably Klonoa but while that had a pretty involved story in its own right, there wasn't too much dialog.

Even if it's a 2.5D platformer I'd say Napple Tale's structure is closer to an action/adventure-JRPG, that feels like a better way of describing it design-wise.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

What's that game where you clean up the workshop for Santa because there's blood everywhere? It's on Steam. That's the one though.

Viscera Cleanup Detail. Too annoying to be entertaining

Lethal Weapon is more of a life lesson movie where you realize that Roger Murtaugh was right all along...you need to learn in life "when you are too old for this shit"

A parting shot at the bar at 3 am before you go home? WWMD - "What Would Murtaugh Do"? If he is too old for this shit...maybe I am too!

If you went to the arcades in the early 90s you are older than Mortaugh when he said his catchphrase

VGEsoterica

Viscera Cleanup Detail. Too annoying to be entertaining

If you went to the arcades in the early 90s you are older than Mortaugh when he said his catchphrase
The wild part is I’m probably getting close to Danny Glovers age when he first played Murtaugh than I’d like!

This is Yakuza 5. It is a sidestory from the 2nd Chapter following Saejima.

I love how Sega is bringing the Christmas goods in this thread! So I feel this is appropriate:

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I associate Shadows of the Empire on N64 with Christmas. I lived in a really shitty dorm my freshman year of college and didn't have a console or PC, so I played no games for over three months except the occasional game of Madden in a friend's room on a tiny TV.

I came home for Christmas and my little brother had gotten an N64 & SoE for his birthday, which was in Dec. He hooked it up to a then-giant 35'' tv. It looked incredible for the time. All our friends that came over were suitably impressed by the Hoth level. That was before the prequels and Return of the Jedi was over 10 years old, so people were starved for new Star Wars content. (Hard to imagine, but it's true kids.)

We played it a lot over the holiday and really bonded. I had not seen him for 3 months either. Those were good times.

Sophist

I remember that each year around this time, we were playing Christmas themed maps on FFA servers on quake and counter-strike. Then, a few years later, the Christmas events on Team Fortress 2 (they are still doing it).
Also, i have a very faint memory of a 3d platform game that i associate with Christmas. i first thought it may be Simpsons Hit and Run but after skimming a longplay video, i couldn't find anything related to Christmas.
When i was a child, every time around Christmas, we visited my aunt family. They had an amiga500 with hundreds of pirate floppy disks, we were picking them randomly.

ezgif-2-c8edf0654e24prjk7.gif

(gif taken from http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot.com/2014/12/xmas-lemmings-amiga-demo.html)

Last edited:
Top Bottom