• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Devil Saga screens...

920605_20040607_screen004.jpg

920605_20040607_screen008.jpg

920605_20040607_screen009.jpg

920605_20040607_screen010.jpg

920605_20040607_screen013.jpg

920605_20040607_screen015.jpg

920605_20040607_screen016.jpg

920605_20040607_screen027.jpg

920605_20040607_screen012.jpg

920605_20040607_screen011.jpg

screenindex.html

DarkAngyl

Too much rpg goodness this year...my head is gonna explode. ;)

This looks fantastic and along with Nocturne has jumped close to the top of my most wanted list. :)

epmode

i thought digital devil saga was the gba game. now i'm interested. i *love* that character designer.

Saurian

This all looks amazing and I cant wait to get them - not asking much, only that Atlus continue to leave language options in their games. I cant stand the English dubs on games and anime and think there should always be a choice if people want to play the game with the originally intended cast.

Sony Europe apparently wont pass a game now unless Japanese audio is removed completely, like the recent Disgaea which has had it's Japanese voice mode removed.

Don't worry, in their recent press release Atlus confirmed that it'd come with English and Japanese voice tracks along with its own specific vocal songs. Just DDS though, SMT3 doesn't have any voice acting.

Saurian

Thanks for that SolidsnakeX - Atlus USA are doing such a good job with the western RPG releases, I wish more companies took note of their attitude.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm not an rpg nut, but hot damn, both this and smt are sooooo mine.

op_ivy said:
i'm not an rpg nut, but hot damn, both this and smt are sooooo mine.

You should like atleast one of them. DDS is more of the traditional RPG. Following a specific path and all. They've added several things to try to make it appeal to more of a mainstream, similar to how Persona was. SMT3 is a more open ended RPG. You choose your own path, you can go down a good path, an evil path or just end up being neutral. You also get to customize your character the way you want so they don't level up the sameway everytime you're able to apply what you want to level up instead of it being automatic.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
SolidSnakex said:
You should like atleast one of them. DDS is more of the traditional RPG. Following a specific path and all. They've added several things to try to make it appeal to more of a mainstream, similar to how Persona was. SMT3 is a more open ended RPG. You choose your own path, you can go down a good path, an evil path or just end up being neutral. You also get to customize your character the way you want so they don't level up the sameway everytime you're able to apply what you want to level up instead of it being automatic.

i'm not anti rpgs, just waaaay burnt out on the fantasy/square take.

smt sounds almost like kotor the way your describbing it.

ferricide

don't hold your breath hoping for japanese voices in DDS. DVDs are only so big, after all.

and SMT3 doesn't have voices.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ferricide said:
don't hold your breath hoping for japanese voices in DDS. DVDs are only so big, after all.

and SMT3 doesn't have voices.

It is an incredibly fast translation, though(at least compared to SMT3 :p), maybe they are just leaving the japanese voices and not bothering with english VAs. Hey...Shut up! It can happen!

belgurdo

Banned
Archaix said:
It is an incredibly fast translation, though(at least compared to SMT3 :p), maybe they are just leaving the japanese voices and not bothering with english VAs. Hey...Shut up! It can happen!

Ick...hope it doesn't. I can't stand Japanese voicework.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
ferricide said:
they're dubbing it.

I thought I very clearly told you to let me have my fantasy!

I don't inherently hate english VAs, it's just that when they are in Japanese I can't tell how bad they actually may be. I don't think I've met an RPG dub that I didn't hate though.

ferricide

SolidSnakex said:
Ofcourse, but Atlus also know's that their fans want dual languages. I really doubt that DDS is going to fill up a full DVD.
well, it does. single-layer, at any rate, and i don't think they'll spring for dual layer just to please the fans. sorry.

Archaix said:
I don't inherently hate english VAs, it's just that when they are in Japanese I can't tell how bad they actually may be. I don't think I've met an RPG dub that I didn't hate though.
dunno. i find people are overly critical of them typically. i think it's because the stories can be so important, probably. i'm not happy about the fact that we get no choice when we could have had one, but i'll live.

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
well, it does. single-layer, at any rate, and i don't think they'll spring for dual layer just to please the fans. sorry.

dunno. i find people are overly critical of them typically. i think it's because the stories can be so important, probably. i'm not happy about the fact that we get no choice when we could have had one, but i'll live.

Well Atlus put up the $$$ to bring Sky Gunner from a single layer -> dual layer so anything is possible.

Bebpo said:
Well Atlus put up the $$$ to bring Sky Gunner from a single layer -> dual layer so anything is possible.

Exactly, if they'd do that for Sky Gunner I don't doubt they'd do it for DDS when they're quite obviously trying to turn it into their premiere RPG series in the US.

Bebpo

Banned
jiji said:
Wait, I thought they just moved it from CD-ROM to DVDROM?

Hmmm, good point. I think you are right on this ^^;;

Still same principle, they spent the time and money to upgrade the game into a new format which would be about the same work they'd have to do to go from dvd5->dvd9.

duckroll

I'm sure Atlus would love to have the game dual-language if possible. But as pointed out, it is indeed true that all the games they've done so with (including Sky Gunner) were originally CD-ROM games. They simply switched to DVD format to allow dual voices. Switching from single-layer to dual-layer is slightly trickier because it appears that either Sony themselves aren't completely happy with games being dual-layer because of the it being out of the original spec of the PS2 design or developers themselves are actually realizing the problems that it may cause.

For one thing, while Xenosaga Ep1 was 1 dual-layer disc, Ep2 is back to Ep1's originally planned spec of 2 single-layer discs. Another example would be Star Ocean 3 Director's Cut, while SO3 was a single-layer disc, Square Enix could easily have made the DC a dual-layer disc to fit the additional data. Instead they opted to split the game into 2 single-layer discs instead. Food for thought. :)

While there are perfectly bug-free dual-layer PS2 games released (MGS2 Substance, Sakura Taisen) it remains a fact that several older models of the PS2 experience problems playing dual-layer discs, so I'm not so sure that Atlus might want to run the risk of creating bugs that weren't in the original game by changing the format to a dual-layer disc simply for the sake of having dual-language in DDS. :(

AssMan

Banned
This is what i've been looking for in rpgs. Awesome art style and good gameplay/storyline. These two game's make FFX's art design look like shit.

ferricide

duckroll said:
I'm not so sure that Atlus might want to run the risk of creating bugs that weren't in the original game by changing the format to a dual-layer disc simply for the sake of having dual-language in DDS. :(
let's not forget that changing from single to dual may be more complex than just changing from a CD to a DVD... and the licensing/manufacturing costs on a dual layer DVD are higher than a DVD (which are higher than a CD, if sony is still pricing like that.)

anyway, i wouldn't hold out hope for a dual-language DDS. it would be nice if i'm wrong, but it's not like i pulled this out of my ass.

Top Bottom