• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: A Plague Tale Requiem: A Stunning Tech Showcase on PS5/Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review

Gaiff

Gold Member
It has better textures for some of the locations but character\animations\digital acting are really no better than tlou 2 or death stranding or other past gen games.
Character animations are largely dependent on the animation team more so than the hardware. A beefier system won't make that much of a different to the quality of your animations. This needs time and talent which ND has in spades, especially compared to Asobo.

The comparisons should stop at things that have a significant impact on system resources because this is where the whole "why is it 1440p?" comes into play.

Last edited:
OooIki jiooy iiiio9There are several on PS4 that look about as good. Maybe this looks slightly better than any of them (in terms of environments, not character models), but good enough to run at 25fps at 1440p? No.
Absolutely can't agree with this, in a lot of ways it reminds me of RDR2 but running on PC, which in my mind is still the visual benchmark.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Absolutely can't agree with this, in a lot of ways it reminds me of RDR2 but running on PC, which in my mind is still the visual benchmark.

Ok, but shouldn't these consoles run something like that at higher than 1440p30 (and not even that)? I would say yes, absolutely.

This also isn't open world.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Ok, but shouldn't these consoles run something like that at higher than 1440p30 (and not even that)? I would say yes, absolutely.

This also isn't open world.
It actually sticks reasonably close to 40fps in the 120Hz mode. It only drops dramatically on PS5 during instances where there are loads of rats along with intense alpha effects all at once. This is both a GPU and CPU issue. It's not solely a resolution problem. There's still work to be done but it's not awful like Gotham Knights.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It actually sticks reasonably close to 40fps in the 120Hz mode. It only drops dramatically on PS5 during instances where there are loads of rats along with intense alpha effects all at once. This is both a GPU and CPU issue. It's not solely a resolution problem. There's still work to be done but it's not awful like Gotham Knights.

I'm still gonna claim it's not very well optimized compared to other games we've seen running at 1440p60/4K30 (or higher in uncapped VRR modes) on PS5. It just doesn't look that much better.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh ok i thought the discussion was solely focused on requiem looking much better than past gen games.

Not sure how slightly more detailed textures in the locations should be the reason when hfw looks as good if not better than requiem while being an open world with a 60 fps mode on the same console.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Oh ok i thought the discussion was solely focused on requiem looking much better than past gen games.

Not sure how slightly more detailed textures in the locations should be the reason when hfw looks as good if not better than requiem while being an open world with a 60 fps mode on the same console.
Because the difference is much more than "slightly better textures" but if you've made up the narrative in your head, don't let anyone stop you.

I'm still gonna claim it's not very well optimized compared to other games we've seen running at 1440p60/4K30 (or higher in uncapped VRR modes) on PS5. It just doesn't look that much better.
The performance could be better for sure and I do believe it'll improve over time.

GymWolf

Because the difference is much more than "slightly better textures" but if you've made up the narrative in your head, don't let anyone stop you.

The performance could be better for sure and I do believe it'll improve over time.
I may be a bit dismissive but if horizon fw can run at 1440p60 (or whatever res it use, it look sharper than 1440p) on a ps5, so should requiem, unless you think that requeim also look much better than hfw, at best they trade blows but i think that overall hfw looks better if we also consider how big it is at any given time and not only in some locations.

We know by now that rats are not the reason why the performance are meh, people tested this on pc.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I may be a bit dismissive but if horizon fw can run at 1440p60 (or whatever res it use, it look sharper than 1440p) on a ps5, so should requiem, unless you think that requeim also look much better than hfw, at best they trade blows but i think that overall hfw looks better if we also consider how big it is at any given time and not only in some locations.

We know by now that rats are not the reason why the performance are meh, people tested this on pc.
It's an in-house engine made by 45 people that is heavy. It should not be the thesis for what constitutes "next gen" performance... at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Completed it today, mindblowing game I loved it. Would have been a 9.5 for me or 9 if I really want to be harsh on some of the character models of npcs and animation but I still think its an amazing achievement and better than the first in every way the tech is bonkers, the quality of the rock textures and foliage etc coupled with the insane draw distance puts it above anything else imo. The photo scanned rocks are crazy. Beautiful game on PC.

That rat count at the end is mindblowing.

Gaiff

Gold Member

I think Requiem looks better than Forbidden West but not to an absurd degree. Forbidden West is one of the better looking games out there.

You're correct that it should run better (and I also said as much before) but we're talking about a large in-house dev of 20+ years funded by Sony working on two platforms vs a smaller independent studio working on 5 different versions.

Requiem also does decently in the 120Hz mode and sticks close to 40 so it has a fair bit of headroom above 30 most of the time, just not near enough for 60.

Returnal for instance has a native res of 1080p with a 60fps. It's an exclusive by a smaller in-house studio.

Edit: Also, Requiem doesn't even take advantage of the consoles API with its slow-ass load times. It's clear that some work needs to be done still.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think Requiem looks better than Forbidden West but not to an absurd degree. Forbidden West is one of the better looking games out there.

You're correct that it should run better (and I also said as much before) but we're talking about a large in-house dev of 20+ years funded by Sony working on two platforms vs a smaller independent studio working on 5 different versions.

Requiem also does decently in the 120Hz mode and sticks close to 40 so it has a fair bit of headroom above 30 most of the time, just not near enough for 60.

Returnal for instance has a native res of 1080p with a 60fps. It's an exclusive by a smaller in-house studio.

Edit: Also, Requiem doesn't even take advantage of the consoles API with its slow-ass load times. It's clear that some work needs to be done still.
agree to disagree on what is the better looking game, but i guess it's a matter of taste when the level is so high.

Returnal doesn't even run locked at 60, it has a lot of annoying dips during combat.

By far the worse performing exclusive on ps5.

Pc players are gonna play the definite edition of that one.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The game doesn’t look that great it’s hard to understand how DF picks their champions.

You guys need to play it on your tv.

Yes the LOU2 beats it in character models and animation, but doesnt come within an Abby pube hair of the environments, tech, textures, foliage, draw distance etc. its a whole different ball game. Then the hundreds of thousands of rats on screen.

If asobo had the motion capture and facial rigs etc and character animation down, they would be competing with a game that had what 20 to 30 times the people working on it. It's a technical showcase for sure.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You guys need to play it on your tv.

Yes the LOU2 beats it in character models and animation, but doesnt come within an Abby pube hair of the environments, tech, textures, foliage, draw distance etc. its a whole different ball game. Then the hundreds of thousands of rats on screen.

If asobo had the motion capture and facial rigs etc and character animation down, they would be competing with a game that had what 20 to 30 times the people working on it. It's a technical showcase for sure.
calm down, not even a ps2 game would be that far.

FukuDaruma

I tried moving the whole game to a RAM disk and guess what... still EXACTLY the same asset loading stutters. :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤦‍♂️
And the game doesn't load any faster, despite the RAM disk being like 10x faster than the SSD. Pathetic.

Last edited:

M1987

So is there 0 chance of a 60fps patch without lowering the resolution? I know they are a small team,but Forbidden West looks better,and that is something like 1800p/60fps

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Incredible achievement for a team composed of... 45 people.

These guys are wizards in the AA market.
Ubisoft be like:

Oh My God Omg GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"A Plague Tale: Requiem can be easily described as a GPU-bound title. At 1080p/Ultra, the only GPUs that were able to provide a constant 60fps experience were the RTX 3080, RTX 4090 and AMD RX 6900XT. The NVIDIA RTX2080Ti was also able to provide a smooth experience, though we did notice some drops to 57fps"

This is what I thought and explains why the PS5 is struggling compared to Series X. Make no mistake about it this is a true next generation game (current gen really ).
Edit: I'm dumb lol

Last edited:

Md Ray

So is there 0 chance of a 60fps patch without lowering the resolution? I know they are a small team,but Forbidden West looks better,and that is something like 1800p/60fps
Even with a lower resolution the game won't be 60fps at certain points. The game's CPU bound, lowering resolution doesn't help when this happens.

M1987

Even with a lower resolution the game won't be 60fps at certain points. The game's CPU bound, lowering resolution doesn't help when this happens.
That's a shame.I really want to play it,but it's unplayable on the Series X

Only in certain cases, mostly its GPU bound so lowering resolution would definitely help especially for the PS5.

Top Bottom