• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Assassin’s Creed Odyssey + Origins – PS5/Xbox Series X/S Patch Analysis - Locked 60FPS for Next-Gen?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Series X pulls off a full 4K at maximum, hitting a full 3840x2160 in light content, while PS5 appears to top out at 2880x1620 and Series S maxes out at 1920x1080. Series X is derived from One X, PS5 from PS4 Pro, and Series S from Xbox One. These seem to be the maximum figures available on last-gen machines - the pre-patch PS4 version running on PS5 also only reaches 1620p, for instance. I managed to find a lower bound of 1440p on Series X, 1152p on PS5, and 792p on Series S, though it's likely they could go lower under some circumstances. In general, Series X mostly renders around 1728p or so, PS5 is typically at 1440p or somewhat below, and Series S mostly hovers in the 900p - 1008p range. Cutscenes tend to feature lower resolution numbers than gameplay, particularly in cutscenes that heavily use depth of field.

The move from 30 to 60fps is the headline feature here, and it is delivered with surprising reliability. In most circumstances, Series S, X and PS5 all hug that 60fps line perfectly, without any dips or deviations. There are some exceptions though, and curiously most of them apply to all current-gen machines, from the powerful PS5 and Series X to the more constrained Series S.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL - DR

Frame rate:

- All consoles hug 60 FPS very well but there are issues with duplicate frames after camera cuts on all platforms.
- Opening cut-scene in Origins and opening fight in Odyssey drops frames on all consoles to mid 50s.
- Some elements like physics on cloth are all still locked at 30 FPS. Not every element runs at 60hz.
- Pre-coded video file cut-scenes still 30 FPS on all and run with bad frame pacing.

- Series S runs Odyssey's real time cut-scenes at 30 FPS. PS5 and SX run them at 60.
- Series X can drop a few more frames during cut-scenes compared to PS5.
- Game play runs at 60 FPS on all of them, however.

Resolution:

Series X pulls off a full 4K at maximum, hitting a full 3840x2160 in light content, while PS5 appears to top out at 2880x1620 and Series S maxes out at 1920x1080. Series X is derived from One X, PS5 from PS4 Pro, and Series S from Xbox One.
In general, Series X mostly renders around 1728p or so, PS5 is typically at 1440p or somewhat below, and Series S mostly hovers in the 900p - 1008p range
The difference between PS5 and Series X is a bit unusual - we'd typically expect the two machines to be a bit closer, but the much lower top-end resolution on PS5 compromises the effort somewhat.

- Series X has a clarity advantage when looking at the general image and Series S suffers more than the others because of lower resolution and can have more image breakup.

Last edited:

intbal

Their engine and art worked really well together in these games.
Even at the low resolutions of Series S (aka One S), Odyssey and Origins are visually attractive.

Stuart360

Honestly Origins and Odyssey are 2 of the best games from last gen (Odyssey my fave game from last gen). If you like Witcher 3 style rpg's then you cant much bigger or better than these 2 games.
Its a shame so many people have a Ubisoft hate boner that these games dont get the respect they deserve, although game sales show the masses dont care about the silly Ubi hate.

Honestly Origins and Odyssey are 2 of the best games from last gen (Odyssey my fave game from last gen). If you like Witcher 3 style rpg's then you cant much bigger or better than these 2 games.
Its a shame so many people have a Ubisoft hate boner that these games dont get the respect they deserve, although game sales show the masses dont care about the silly Ubi hate.
Yep, the average gamer loves these Ubisoft games. I like them too but can only play one game every two or three years because they are very same-y after all.

Topher

Gold Member
It's incredible with the excuse of "your" irony you always push the other to make console war in thread like this with the same provocatory sentence.

stripes lighten GIF

Seems pretty clear he is joking

DaGwaphics

Is there a hardcore technical reason why prerecorded cut scenes can’t be better than 30 fps when there rest of the game is?

Maybe they just didn't want to take the time to go back and prerecord them at a faster rate. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know how much work that would be. Would they need to change the animations, etc.?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Don’t think so. It was originally 30fps on PS4 and I don’t think it ever got a frame rate patch

Wow, total mandela effect moment. I could swear BF was 60 FPS on PS4 and XBO as it was a cross-gen title at that time.

adamsapple

Is there a bundle for both with all the dlc? I’d like to give it a go

Unfortunately no bundles for both with DLC. Usually the season passes for these games sells for $39.99 itself, but it's often on sale for $15 every now and then.

But if you are on Xbox, the Gold versions for Odyssey is on a big sale right now. $24.99 for something that usually sells around $100.

link

kinda ridiculous that Ubi didn’t also increase the resolution with these patches for PS5 & Series S

Sure but both versions do not manage to hold their theoretical maximum resolutions as of now so what's the point? Especially the PS5 which has a max resolution of 1620p yet the game typically displays around 1440p or so. Seems like it doesn't really matter anyway. The series X barely manages to hit 2160p in very few spots and typically stays around 1728p so they could have dropped the max resolution to 1800p for all we care.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I've plat Odyssey on PS4 during 20's covid lockdown, it's my favorite assassin's creed game, Cassandra is so cool. Didn't do the DLCs so maybe i should try on PS5.. Hopefully the loading times are cut down as it was my only gripes.

Bojji

True, true. Ubi stuff is a bit of a weird mish mash.

AC3 remastered needs to drop to One S resolution for FPS boost, while the Ezio Collection and AC Rogue Remastered runs at 2160p/60 FPS with FPS boost.

It's weird.

Ezio is probably 1080p with fps boost or without, PS4 pro version is the only one with 4k support.

adamsapple

Ezio is probably 1080p with fps boost or without, PS4 pro version is the only one with 4k support.

You're right, Ezio never got a One X patch in the first place so it's stuck at 1080p.

Rogue Remastered is the one that got a 4K One X patch then an FPS patch later.

adamsapple

Isn't that only on the original disc version without an update? Or am I thinking of something else 🤔

No, it got an official FPS boost update even for the fully patched version.

On PS5, you can play the PS4 disc version without any updates at 60 FPS but you don't get any of the patches and fixes, so the game will be prone to breaking a lot. They added a 30 FPS cap in the post launch updates so if you update the game, you get locked at 30 FPS.

Last edited:
No, it got an official FPS boost update even for the fully patched version.

On PS5, you can play the PS4 disc version without any updates at 60 FPS but you don't get any of the patches and fixes, so the game will be prone to breaking a lot. They added a 30 FPS cap in the post launch updates so if you update the game, you get locked at 30 FPS.
Still 900p though?

Top Bottom