• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Best SSD for PS5 2021

truth411

I mean.... these are high-end models PCIE4 SSDs... manufactures are still to release the budget ones.
For example.

PCIE3: 970Pro, 870EVO
PCIE4: 980Pro, ?

If the budget ones fits the specs it will be compatible.
Im expecting prices for the PS5 compatible SSD to dramatically fall when M.2. PCIE 5.0 come out. Budget versions of PCIE 5.0 M.2s will still be fast enough and at the same time PCIE 4.0 M.2s prices will fall like a rock.
Next year will probably be a good time to buy. Its inevitable that someone will make a cheap QLC PCIE 5.0 M.2 with higher capacity but still fast enough to meet the PS5 requirements.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I don't any M.2 have that size.
There is a 8TB SSD SATA 2.5" for around $700.

Spread across 2-4 drives is fine too, I'm guessing the 8TB one is higher priced than several smaller drives that equal 8TB, so I could assume 500-600 for 4x 2TB/2x 4TB SSDs?

Blond

Banned
Just going to get a 500gb so I can have a TB. I rocked a 512gb SSD on my PS4 the entirety of last gen, I’m not worried about getting another TB

truth411

I know what they said is recommended. I just think there is a chance using something a little less will still work and I can't wait to see DF try and benchmark 5GB/s SSD. There are quite a bit on the market for around $150 which is the most I am willing to pay for this. Lol

Let me dream damnit.
These 7.0GB SSDs will be about $150 by holiday next year. Especially when M.2s on PCIE 5.0 comes out.

At the moment my "native PS5" games collection is limited, so I put all my PS4 games on a decent USB 3 3.5inch HDD and they load a bit faster than they were in the PS4 PRO (using the built-in laptop HDD)... and don't wste precious space on the built-in PS5 HDD.

That being said, I could see myself adding a fast 2 or 4TB nvme drive in the PS5 down the line, when there are more real PS5 games in my collection.

People just don't know. It's the same tech.
It's the same drive hardware, but not really the same process of loading information from the drive. I wish people would understand this. You'll get the same gaming performance out of a standard SATA SSD as you would from a 7GB/Sec NVMe drive.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Just going to get a 500gb so I can have a TB. I rocked a 512gb SSD on my PS4 the entirety of last gen, I’m not worried about getting another TB
I grabbed a 2TB one to add. Call of Duty file sizes are no joke. I mean, maybe Battlefield 2042 could wind up in the same boat,.. but.. dayummmm.

mejin

why does that matter? its the speed the xbox requires so thats what you have to get, these are the speed ps5 requires so thats what you have to get, there are no choices either way.

the end user only cares about adding the storage not the specs, you have to pay what you have to pay on both sides of the war.

images

Rikkori

I wanna see some tests with even middling pci-e 3.0 drives, my gut feeling is that the sequential speeds people focus on are going to prove mostly irrelevant.

kyliethicc

Yeah the 660 GB internal and ~ 490 GB M.2 is over 1 TB of SSD. That and my 2TB USB HDD should be plenty.

Thankfully PS5 games are on average the same file size as PS4 games. Not like the big increase from PS3 to PS4.

KaiserBecks

I think no and he don't watch DF or other game channel on YouTube.

So far I haven't won a ticket in the PS5 purchase lottery, no. I'll end up getting one eventually though.
And yes, I've been watching DF videos. You guys keep ignoring that pretty much everyone was surprised that there isn't a huge
gap between those SSD loading times. One would assume that with almost twice the speed, games would load and perform significantly faster. But again, they don't.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

2.4GB/s SSDs cost near half what MS is asking.

Exactly.

2.4GB/s vs 7GB/s. Hell, I posted a 5GB/s drive in another thread thats $160.

MS is currently using only 2230s, if they introduce some longer memory cards the prices will probably drop a bit. As a CFE derivative, I think the current card is the cheapest 1TB on the market (and highest performing).

Last edited:
Someone needs to test Ratchet with a 5.5gbs drive and see if there is a difference. There is a lot of talk but zero proof of a lot of things. Not saying they aren't true. Just saying no proof.

Last edited:
Someone needs to test Ratchet with a 5.5gbs drive and see if there is a difference. There is a lot of talk but zero proof of a lot of things. Not saying they aren't true. Just saying no proof.

There's proof that it's GBs of data thats being moved around. So we know it wouldn't work with a HDD. As for an SSD the 5.5gbs is around the PS5b drives performance so it should work.

Tripolygon

Banned
That heatsink looks too big.

You can buy the standalone drive and a 3rd party smaller heatsink for cheap. The read speed is sufficient at 5.6GB/s but the write speed is 4.3GB/s. I believe the only speed that matters is the read speed. If you are the adventurous type, buy test and return if it does not work or wait for others to test.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:
Not with that heatsink.
The heatsink alone is 20.5mm… PS5 can only have a combined SSD + Heatsink of 11.25mm.

Of course DF tested a 11.4mm and it worked fine but 20mm is out of question.

Unless well you have a custom plate more higher or use the PS5 without the plate 🤔
Thanks for the info.

CobraAB

SSD’s are great, but damn, these high speed ones are not cheap. Like half the price of the console alone, or even more in regards to the XBox Series S. Not really seeing these prices going down any time soon. GPU’s may come back down to earth before that.

There's proof that it's GBs of data thats being moved around. So we know it wouldn't work with a HDD. As for an SSD the 5.5gbs is around the PS5b drives performance so it should work.
I meant more to test the customizations. Next would be to progressively lower the speed and test when it changes so we can actually get an idea of data transfer.

Kenpachii

Yes but PS5 needs > 5.5GB/s reads but there is none in the market below 7GB/s.
Of course PCIE4 5.5GB/s SSDs will eventually get launched.

Not sure if they will, intel seems to move to 5.0, which means market will move on to 14gbps.

Anyway if PS5 has 4.0 slot, why would u want 5.5 anyway, get 7.
The same goes for xbox, why bother with a 2,4 when u can get 3.5 it will be faster.

pasterpl

It does matter... sppeeds defines the price of the SSD.
All SSDs in the OP works above 5.5GB/s.

The fact Sony options costs the same or even cheaper than MS options tells you a lot.
Tells you MS is really overpricing their SSDs a lot.
Tells you the non high-end PCIE4 (below 7GB/s) will be even cheaper.
Since when first party peripherals are priced in this way (I know it is made by Seagate but still it is exclusive partnership). Also there are no Sony options, only 3rd party ones for ps5, if Sony releases PlayStation branded SSD expansion drive i can guarantee you that it will be more expensive than market rate for the same spec drive from 3rd party.

John Wick

The significantly higher SSD Speed of the PS5 doesnt lead to significantly better results though. Last time people talked about this was before both consoles launched 😂
Don't they duh? Are you going by those BC games? When games are made ground up to take advantage of the SSD speeds you'll see the difference. Sony 1st party already showing it.

Tripolygon

Banned
That could be difficult to do because the PS5 probably doesn't let you use drives that don't meet the minimum specifications.
We don't know that yet tbh. I think you can use drives that are slightly slower without impacting the performance greatly as long as they are pcie gen4 m.2 NVMe SSD.

truth411

Since when first party peripherals are priced in this way (I know it is made by Seagate but still it is exclusive partnership). Also there are no Sony options, only 3rd party ones for ps5, if Sony releases PlayStation branded SSD expansion drive i can guarantee you that it will be more expensive than market rate for the same spec drive from 3rd party.
Literally No it wouldn't BECAUSE the PS5 Expandable storage is Non-Proprietary.

We don't know that yet tbh. I think you can use drives that are slightly slower without impacting the performance greatly as long as they are pcie gen4 m.2 NVMe SSD.

I think it also depends on what the PS5 does with the drive. If it's only for storage then any speed would be fine. But if you have to play games off it that can change the requirements.

truth411

I think it also depends on what the PS5 does with the drive. If it's only for storage then any speed would be fine. But if you have to play games off it that can change the requirements.
Yup. If your playing and low budget arcade indie (and even then there can be a problem) title, No problem. If your Playing RatchetnClank that most likely makes use of the PS5 SSDs 6 priority levels, then you need an M.2. Significantly faster than 5.5GB BECAUSE M.2. SSDs only have 2 Priority levels.

Last edited:
Yup. If your playing and arcade indie (and even then there can be a problem) title, No problem. If your Playing RatchetnClank that most likely makes use of the PS5 SSDs 6 priority levels, then you need an M.2. Significantly faster than 5.5GB BECAUSE M.2. SSDs only have 2 Priority levels.
Or it makes very little different

MastaKiiLA

Sammy or WD Black. The next iteration. I think they've been proven to be reliable performers. That said, this is a luxury item. If I buy a new SSD, it'll be for my next computer. Just delete games you aren't playing. Spend the money you saved on more games.

KaiserBecks

Don't they duh? Are you going by those BC games? When games are made ground up to take advantage of the SSD speeds you'll see the difference. Sony 1st party already showing it.
I guess. And MS will have their tools ready by then I reckon? 😂 On paper SX is a more powerful machine overall and PS5 has a much faster SSD. In reality all that doesn‘t mean shit as pretty much every DF comparison so far has shown.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean.... these are high-end models PCIE4 SSDs... manufactures are still to release the budget ones.
For example.

PCIE3: 970Pro, 870EVO
PCIE4: 980Pro, ?

If the budget ones fits the specs it will be compatible.
Will have to see if there's even room for anything "budget" at those speeds, which are already pushing temps really far.

ethomaz

Banned
Well a PlayStation branded SSD should works on PC and so it should face the same market competition than others SSDs.
I don’t believe they can price it like proprietary at all.

pasterpl

Well a PlayStation branded SSD should works on PC and so it should face the same market competition than others SSDs.
I don’t believe they can price it like proprietary at all.
One more thing about Xbox expansion card is that it is modified cfexpress card and these are very expensive

Dream-Knife

Banned
Half the problem is the drive bay isn't very big, and a lot of m.2s have a good size heatsink on them.

I also worry about heat. In a PC your intake fans on the front are blowing on it.
I have the 2TB WD in my PC and when I said it's as fast as the PS5 SSD people said I was lying.
Because you're talking to irrational people with an inferiority complex. The natural progression from "my console is more powerful"; now they feel threatened by PC so they have to find a raison d'etre for their console over a PC aside from price.

Elios83

I think I'm going to upgrade by the end of the year.
Anything below 2TB is not worth it imo but 400+$ is not cheap, it's like buying an other console, so I guess that during Black Friday there will be some interesting deals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom