• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This one's VERY interesting! One of the games that kicked off Microsoft's introduction to next generation gaming has finally arrived - and it's not just available for Xbox Series consoles, it's also out now on PlayStation 5 and... Nintendo Switch? How do the three 'current-gen' console versions compare? What about the ray tracing and 120Hz support? And if this is a game designed for the new wave of consoles, how on earth has the developer delivered a port for Nintendo Switch? John Linneman has the answers.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Text article:

In terms of image quality, Xbox Series X comes out on top with both the default mode and the ray tracing mode targeting full 2160p ... . PS5 also targets this but it seems to dip below 4K more often leading to a slight loss in overall clarity ... The more significant difference appears when using the game's high frame-rate mode. Xbox Series X appears to stick to its 1440p target most often while PS5 often drops to 80 percent of this value...

Xbox Series S targets 1440p - but, in most cases, you'll find that resolution hangs between 80 to 90 percent of 1440p. On Switch then, the game aims for 1080p and 720p in docked and portable modes respectively, but typically falls to around 80 percent of these targets.

Performance-wise, Switch's 30fps is marred by inconsistent frame-pacing at 30fps which is disappointing, but looking at the consoles, Xbox Series X is the best-performing version of the bunch ... Performance on Xbox Series and PS5 is good in 60Hz modes, though the Sony console seems to have more issues sustaining 120fps in its 120Hz mode. VRR cleans this up, but it's also running at a lower resolution here than Series X too.

Xbox Series S? Think of its single non-RT 60Hz gaming mode as very similar indeed to Series X, just at a lower resolution.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Those frame drops on that one side of the screen are really distracting. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The speed of certain places in the game looks interesting.

Mr Moose

A once exclusive indie game runs better on the Series X.
patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

The water is distracting without RT on.

I'll wait for a GamePass release. Seems like a perfect fit for a 2 hour game.

That screen tear on the PS5 during that 1 segment was nasty af. I'm not sure if that is also present on the Series consoles, but I have a VRR monitor, so no biggie for me if it is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll wait for a GamePass release. Seems like a perfect fit for a 2 hour game.

That screen tear on the PS5 during that 1 segment was nasty af. I'm not sure if that is also present on the Series consoles, but I have a VRR monitor, so no biggie for me if it is.
I must had misunderstood or forgot. I thought this game was going to be Game Pass.

Wasnt this game shown during one of the MS shows where "every game shown will be on GP"? Maybe I'm wrong.

Boy bawang

The switch version is quite a tour de force, but while decent enough to be playable, mobile tech has evolved a lot since 2016-17 and I'm starting to feel that a new console is needed. Who knows, maybe in 2023 🤔...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I must had misunderstood or forgot. I thought this game was going to be Game Pass.

Wasnt this game shown during one of the MS shows where "every game shown will be on GP"? Maybe I'm wrong.
People are just mistaking Bright Memory with Bright Memory Infinite.
Bright Memory was an Xbox Series launch title.
Bright Memory Infinite is this game.

Mr Moose

Im going to guess you are mistaking Bright Memory and Bright Memory Infinite?
Could be, I remember seeing it on a Xbox event and people saying it was exclusive, I might've been drunk.
Such a weird flex to make a Switch version but ignore Xbone and PS4. Switch version looking decent though.
It's just one guy pretty much, so limited time and budget probably played a part in no last gen release (yet).
What?

It's a GPU heavy game that performs better on series x, that's what specs suggested and that is what it should look like with mature development tools.
I meant it was one person and as far as I was aware it was an exclusive for a while until it wasn't, so they had more time with the Series consoles.
And no, Series X is not that much more powerful to run at 20% higher res while also running a lot better. It's not the GPU heavy mode that runs worse, its the 120Hz mode.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Looks like Xbox Series X is the platform of choice for me this time round. It holds what seems to be a really consistent 120fps and VRR will iron out any kinks. It's a little beast of a box that continues to impress me. Series X is really coming into its own as time goes on.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Series X version looks amazing. The Switch version while looking like crap next to the Series version is still impressive considering the difference in power.

Could be, I remember seeing it on a Xbox event and people saying it was exclusive, I might've been drunk.

I must have been drunk too. I swear I remember it was Bright Memory Infinite and I too think it was supposed to be Series Exclusive and Game Pass Day 1

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like Xbox Series X is the platform of choice for me this time round. It holds what seems to be a really consistent 120fps and VRR will iron out any kinks. It's a little beast of a box that continues to impress me. Series X is really coming into its own as time goes on.

I go back and forth between XSX and PS5 and I don't think you can go wrong with either console. For me, if I were to settle on one console instead of owning both, the graphics and performance wouldn't be much of a factor. Personally, I'm happy this generation is more about games and services than graphics.

adamsapple

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I go back and forth between XSX and PS5 and I don't think you can go wrong with either console. For me, if I were to settle on one console instead of owning both, the graphics and performance wouldn't be much of a factor. Personally, I'm happy this generation is more about games and services than graphics.
Apologies. I mean the Series X is my platform of choice to play this game over the PS5 version. I own both consoles. I usually just play multi plats on whatever console runs it best on a case by case basis. The Xbox version here at 120fps seems the best way to play on console by quite a margin, but that doesn't mean the PS5 version is bad in any way.

Topher

Gold Member
Apologies. I mean the Series X is my platform of choice to play this game over the PS5 version. I own both consoles. I usually just play multi plats on whatever console runs it best on a case by case basis. The Xbox version here at 120fps seems the best way to play on console by quite a margin, but that doesn't mean the PS5 version is bad in any way.

Ah.....I get you. Yeah, nothing wrong with that. I tend to play games on PS5 more for trophy hunting, but if the game is on Game Pass that's where I'll play. But if everything else is equal then why not go with the superior graphical version? Make sense.

Three

People are just mistaking Bright Memory with Bright Memory Infinite.
Bright Memory was an Xbox Series launch title.
Not sure there is a mistake. Look below for text from DF:
This one's VERY interesting! One of the games that kicked off Microsoft's introduction to next generation gaming has finally arrived - and it's not just available for Xbox Series consoles, it's also out now on PlayStation 5 and... Nintendo Switch?

"Instead of creating an Episode 2, the game was remade and expanded in both gameplay and story into a full-length title called Bright Memory: Infinite" . It's pretty much the same engine/game. It's a game that started as an xbox exclusive. Anyway what's with the percentages for resolution?

Last edited:

Caio

70 on Meta...meh.
By the way, the XSX version looks and performs the best, too bad I'm not buying this for my XSX :(

Roberts

If I remember correctly, Bright Memory was made by one guy, but on this one he had some help and you can actually see certain visual improvements. It is possible my memory is playing tricks on me, but it feels like the new one runs better (I only played the first one when it came out on XSX)

Don't apologize to shit heads being shit heads for the sake of being shit heads.

Leyasu

Banned
The Series X version looks amazing. The Switch version while looking like crap next to the Series version is still impressive considering the difference in power.

I must have been drunk too. I swear I remember it was Bright Memory Infinite and I too think it was supposed to be Series Exclusive and Game Pass Day 1
No you weren't drunk kitty-cat. I thought that this was straight to gamepass fodder too lol

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not sure there is a mistake. Look below for text from DF:

"Instead of creating an Episode 2, the game was remade and expanded in both gameplay and story into a full-length title called Bright Memory: Infinite" . It's pretty much the same engine/game. It's a game that started as an xbox exclusive. Anyway what's with the percentages for resolution?
You can still purchase Bright Memory on the Microsoft Store
And you can also purchase Bright Memory Infinite as well.

Bright Memory is the Xbox Series launch title.

A "remake" cant really be considered the same game can it?
Pretty sure we have a pretty long thread justifying and distancing Remakes from their original iterations.

Three

You can still purchase Bright Memory on the Microsoft Store
And you can also purchase Bright Memory Infinite as well.

Bright Memory is the Xbox Series launch title.

A "remake" cant really be considered the same game can it?
Pretty sure we have a pretty long thread justifying and distancing Remakes from their original iterations.
So this is in fact a remake of a 2 year old game so didn't start as an xbox launch game? I'm not sure what you're getting at here but ok.

Top Bottom