• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dont Play Yourself I Love You GIF by Music Choice

Banned
Why don't you watch it and listen properly yourself? DF never stated Series X was running DRS even on the earlier part on the video. He just assumed it was but he wasn't able to find any DRS on series X hence he said it was running 4k native RT here:

"the resolution appears to hold most of the time"

"PS5 also targets this resolution, but seems to dip below 4k more often"

clampzyn

Yea already did for you as I posted it above, DF wouldn't state "native" if the game wasn't running native otherwise they would state dynamic 4k. Do you even watch DF's video on how they conduct their resolution analysis? :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Banned
Yea already did for you as I posted it above, DF wouldn't state "native" if the game wasn't running native otherwise they would state dynamic 4k. Do you even watch DF's video on how they conduct their resolution analysis? :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

:messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting: (are these enough emojis?)

colloquially the word "effectively" is used to describe something that's not 100% as stated but similar enough so that the difference between the 2 doesn't matter.

example sentence: "stealing a $20 shirt from Walmart is effectively the same as stealing $20 straight out of their register"
these actions are not the same, but the result is similar

effectively 4k =/= native 4k all of the time

Last edited:

clampzyn

" effectively" = in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.

It's clearly shown here on DF's analysis that the target was native 4k60 (on series x at least) hence that's why they didn't find any dips below that otherwise they would mention it on the video. :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting: Now if you're saying because they didn't did the test enough to find the resolution dip, they did found a dip on RT mode which is the FPS one because DRS doesn't kick in or in any case is active.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Totally, DF pitch themselves as scientists and tell people rise above platform wars, but really they are the ones pulling the strings.

Richard Ledbetter, yesterday:

Puppet Master Luke GIF by Australian Survivor

So what should they do, manipulate every single video they release to say "both consoles perform EXACTLY the same", to please the fanboys, because otherwise someone gets butthurt that his beloved plastic box turns out to be weaker a one?

If anything, Jason Ronald and Mark Cerny are the main persons responsible for how those consoles perform, DF or similar channels have nothing to do with it.

Banned
" effectively" = in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.

It's clearly shown here on DF's analysis that the target was native 4k60 (on series x at least) hence that's why they didn't find any dips below that otherwise they would mention it on the video. :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

learn how to use this forum correctly ffs.

also, again, effectively is not used in the way this Oxford dictionary definition is stated.

this is how the word is used colloquially

byGkUsB.jpg

Last edited:

clampzyn

Last edited:

Banned
Last edited:

clampzyn

Yea he did stated native 4k with DRS enabled as a follow up. Nowhere in this analysis John followed that Series X was running 4k native with DRS enabled. As I mentioned, if DRS was enabled on a platform they would mention it because its a part of their job. Them saying both target 4k doesn't automatically mean its not native on a certain platform.

This analyst on the video did obviously stated it was native 4k but the text shown it was running a certain range of resolution. This was certainly a mistake on the analyst side, then just followed up with a claim that it was running on DRS.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yea he did stated native 4k with DRS enabled as a follow up. Nowhere in this analysis John followed that Series X was running 4k native with DRS enabled. As I mentioned, if DRS was enabled on a platform they would mention it because its a part of their job. Them saying both target 4k doesn't automatically mean its not native on a certain platform.

This analyst on the video did obviously stated it was native 4k but the text shown it was running a certain range of resolution. This was certainly a mistake on the analyst side, then just followed up with a claim that it was running on DRS.
In terms of image quality, Xbox Series X comes out on top with both the default mode and the ray tracing mode targeting full 2160p and surprisingly, this resolution holds most of the time. PS5 also targets this but it seems to dip below 4K more often leading to a slight loss in overall clarity if you look closely.

clampzyn

In terms of image quality, Xbox Series X comes out on top with both the default mode and the ray tracing mode targeting full 2160p and surprisingly, this resolution holds most of the time. PS5 also targets this but it seems to dip below 4K more often leading to a slight loss in overall clarity if you look closely.

Targetting full 2160p at the start of the video then later on claiming it was effectively 4k native because they can't find a resolution drop on series x and if they did, they would mention their DRS range otherwise just like they mentioned the DRS drop range on other platforms. Targetting 2160p can be different on different platforms, it can be targetting native 2160p and DRS 2160p.

Last edited:
I tried setting my display to 60hz, and yes it causes tearing when VSYNC off + RT on. This might be because the FPS is running above 60 in this mode, we need 1 more analyst to confirm all of this because I don't have a capture card to get those graphs.
i meant did you you make sure 120hz output was on in the series x settings so you can actually see 120fps instead of the max of 60

uhm, you should watch the video again, because DF clearly said all mode use DRS on all consoles.
DF simply said that the SX version holds 4k more often than PS5
i honestly think the drs is either bugged or the series x doesnt need to resort to it even if its enabled maybe drs only kicks in when the framerate is gonna go say below 55 which the series x almost never does

Yeah, given the latest article from Nikkei, 2024 seems more likely. I can still see end of 2023, switch sales are dropping a bit faster than Nintendo expected.
I think 2024 makes most sense cause that also the expected release of the ps5 pro and maybe Nintendo can steal some of its thunder

MikeM

Both Xbox and PS5 use DRS. PS5 drops more from 4k than Series X. Everyone cool now?

If this has solid Dualsense usage, i’d buy on PS5 since I have a VRR TV.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So what should they do, manipulate every single video they release to say "both consoles perform EXACTLY the same", to please the fanboys, because otherwise someone gets butthurt that his beloved plastic box turns out to be weaker a one?

If anything, Jason Ronald and Mark Cerny are the main persons responsible for how those consoles perform, DF or similar channels have nothing to do with it.
You say that like it's very important to know which machine renders an image best when paused and zoomed in 4000%

ZywyPL

Banned
You say that like it's very important to know which machine renders an image best when paused and zoomed in 4000%

It's not, but the basic info about resolution and framerate is helpful for those with multiple consoles, while at the same time it's mostly what fanboys use in their console wars. It's just inevitable, so just ignore the fanboys, or DF analysis threads in general.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's not, but the basic info about resolution and framerate is helpful for those with multiple consoles, while at the same time it's mostly what fanboys use in their console wars. It's just inevitable, so just ignore the fanboys, or DF analysis threads in general.
Thanks but My point wasn't that I needed help in avoiding those threads or arguments. My point was that DF claim to be interested in studying the tech, but I think that's clouded by their most popular (and therefore highest earning) videos being ones which ignite fanboy arguments. Their audience aren't people who own multiple consoles trying to work out which version to buy, their audience are people who want to argue that the console they own is the best. That's what I was agreeing with in my post you replied to.

Last edited:

Banned
Thanks but My point wasn't that I needed help in avoiding those threads or arguments. My point was that DF claim to be interested in studying the tech, but I think that's clouded by their most popular (and therefore highest earning) videos being ones which ignite fanboy arguments. Their audience aren't people who own multiple consoles trying to work out which version to buy, their audience are people who want to argue that the console they own is the best. That's what I was agreeing with in my post you replied to.

good, make money by exploiting stupid people, I see no issue in that

Banned
This analyst on the video did obviously stated it was native 4k

I really think in order to comment in threads like these people should be first forced to write an English test.

this is not the first time someone doesn't understand the context of what is said in an analysis video.
could spare us multiple nonsensical posts like yours

Last edited:
Why he needed to post such a tweet all of a sudden?.. If there is only one man who doesn't have the right to complain about 'console warring' that's John. What a shameless hypocrisy.
Seemed like an objective post. He did not call any company names and simply listed his findings. There was nothing console war about it. If anyone finds themselves getting emotional over his statement they should look internally before saying anything about John.

Last edited:

Banned
Why he needed to post such a tweet all of a sudden?.. If there is only one man who doesn't have the right to complain about 'console warring' that's John. What a shameless hypocrisy.

because he was called a Sony fanboy by the Xbox fanboy twitter gang, yet most of the videos he did was when Xbox won or tied.
basically showcasing how retarded fanboy are

stop judging a situation without knowing the context ;)

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I really think in order to comment in threads like these people should be first forced to write an English test.

this is not the first time someone doesn't understand the context of what is said in an analysis video.
could spare us multiple nonsensical posts like yours
How could that be enforced effectively?

Both Xbox and PS5 use DRS. PS5 drops more from 4k than Series X. Everyone cool now?

If this has solid Dualsense usage, i’d buy on PS5 since I have a VRR TV.
I think the drs isn’t working on series x despite being enabled cause no one has gotten counts below 4k

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think the drs isn’t working on series x despite being enabled cause no one has gotten counts below 4k

Someone would have to play through the entire game and stress the game to its limits to get the DRS to kick in.
But theres no way the dev left the game to drop frames when they could have DRS enabled.
So you can say it isnt working the GPU just hasnt been stressed enough in these tests to get it to drop.

All these analysis arent bible scripture, they are as far as the testers can go.....sure its a short game, but they arent exactly gonna play through the entire game effectively 5 times.....then go through all that footage to find the res drops.
They pick a couple of sections and average it out.

Most tests are simply done in areas where the critic thinks.......thinks the system is being stressed the most and then they check there, its not the end all be all, just that from these specific tests they havent found any res drops.

Someone would have to play through the entire game and stress the game to its limits to get the DRS to kick in.
But theres no way the dev left the game to drop frames when they could have DRS enabled.
So you can say it isnt working the GPU just hasnt been stressed enough in these tests to get it to drop.

All these analysis arent bible scripture, they are as far as the testers can go.....sure its a short game, but they arent exactly gonna play through the entire game effectively 5 times.....then go through all that footage to find the res drops.
They pick a couple of sections and average it out.

Most tests are simply done in areas where the critic thinks.......thinks the system is being stressed the most and then they check there, its not the end all be all, just that from these specific tests they havent found any res drops.
Most testers do test different parts of the game though so it’s weird not a single res drop has been found. It may exist but if it does it would be exceptionally rare

Mr Moose

Most testers do test different parts of the game though so it’s weird not a single res drop has been found. It may exist but if it does it would be exceptionally rare
In terms of image quality, Xbox Series X comes out on top with both the default mode and the ray tracing mode targeting full 2160p and surprisingly, this resolution holds most of the time.
PS5 also targets this but it seems to dip below 4K more often leading to a slight loss in overall clarity if you look closely.
It's in the link in the second post and probably in the video (I'm not going to re-watch it).

Last edited:

GametimeUK

The people who check out Digital Foundry may be console warriors, but the target audience for performance and comparison videos are people like me. People who want to see these games analysed and compared objectively. People who are interested in what the differences are even if you have to 400% zoom. It isn't about justifying a purchase, it's about seeing how games tick, what problems they encounter, how the games are behaving, theorising what the developer could do to improve the experience etc.

It's having no bias and running the numbers and comparing the versions and seeing what each machine is capable of. If fanboys want to jump in and use the videos out of context for their wars that's fine, but Digital Foundry shouldn't change how they operate to appease people who get emotional over their game consoles.

The people who check out Digital Foundry may be console warriors, but the target audience for performance and comparison videos are people like me. People who want to see these games analysed and compared objectively. People who are interested in what the differences are even if you have to 400% zoom. It isn't about justifying a purchase, it's about seeing how games tick, what problems they encounter, how the games are behaving, theorising what the developer could do to improve the experience etc.

It's having no bias and running the numbers and comparing the versions and seeing what each machine is capable of. If fanboys want to jump in and use the videos out of context for their wars that's fine, but Digital Foundry shouldn't change how they operate to appease people who get emotional over their game consoles.
DF misses a lot of things as of late literally how did they not cover the v sync off benchmark I feel like this games results are a lot more impressive there

clampzyn

DF did found a drop but only in FPS, surprisingly they didn't count res drops on the scene where the drop occurred. Series X FPS hiccups on high frame rate mode were found but they never found a res drop, meanwhile on PS5's performance hiccups they were able to find those res drops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom