• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

oldergamer

A once exclusive indie game runs better on the Series X.
patrick-stewart-mild-shock.gif

The water is distracting without RT on.
It was never exclusive to Xbox. Just because they announced it there first, doesn't mean its exclusive. In fact MS would have said it was exclusive.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So this is in fact a remake of a 2 year old game so didn't start as an xbox launch game? I'm not sure what you're getting at here but ok.

Yes.
Bright Memory Infinite is basically a remake of Bright Memory with a lot more content.
Bright Memory was an Xbox Series launch title.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
anyone know if the Xbox version also gets a free upgrade if you own the original Bright Memory or is that just for PC ?

baphomet

Idk whether it's good, but Steam boys seem to love it (see page 1).

Most people on Steam got the game for free by buying the previous "game" for $5. If you actually looked at the reviews you'd see it's a lot of "for an indie", "graphical showcase", "amazing graphics", etc.

I'd probably even recommend it on Steam if you just want something to show off graphics for cheap.

Doesn't mean I'd recommend it as a game.

clampzyn

Huh, so basically if you have a VRR TV, just turn v-sync off and enjoy mostly triple digit fps at 4K? Big if true.

Unfortunately it runs 60hz only but the fps is up to 4k native @ 120fps for lower input lag, this is true I tested it myself but camera panning feels 60hz but the input lag is much lower. You won't see screen tearing if you have VRR or a Freesync display which is great.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The switch version is quite a tour de force, but while decent enough to be playable, mobile tech has evolved a lot since 2016-17 and I'm starting to feel that a new console is needed. Who knows, maybe in 2023 🤔...

Hopefully 2024.
The longer they wait, the better the chance that it’s pretty powerful.

If we can get a Switch 2 that’s somewhat more powerful than the Deck, you’d be assured of next gen ports for the entire generation.

baphomet

Unfortunately it runs 60hz only but the fps is up to 4k native @ 120fps for lower input lag, this is true I tested it myself but camera panning feels 60hz but the input lag is much lower. You won't see screen tearing if you have VRR or a Freesync display which is great.

That isn't how that works.

clampzyn

That isn't how that works.

I have a freesync display, tried the game with vsync off and I don't see any screen tearing on my display at all. But if you look at the guy's video, there is obviously screen tearing even on DF video.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok so where are the other switch ports One man can do this. Why can’t you EA? Dead space switch. Gimme now.

Also. Will I get this for my switch ? I dunno if the price was right yes.

Mr Moose

It was never exclusive to Xbox. Just because they announced it there first, doesn't mean its exclusive. In fact MS would have said it was exclusive.
I'm not the only one who thought so.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/0...ooks-as-sharp-as-ever-in-new-gameplay-trailer
Bright Memory: Infinite was among the standout Xbox Series X exclusives that impressed us during the console’s first big showing last year. If you’ve been patiently awaiting your chance to experience the game’s fast-paced blend of first-person shooting and stylish swordplay, a new gameplay trailer has emerged confirming that it still has a pulse and is a wild as ever.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everyone thought it was an exclusive at the reveal. People are just backpedaling now. We can always hop into the reveal thread, live show thread, and even the bumped "new platforms added" well after the show thread.

This is a the benchmark we have been waiting for. Has "next gen" finally arrived?
That "next gen" engine.

clampzyn

You think turning vsync off still has the game display 60fps, but run at 120fps for reduced input lag?

If you are running a 60hz display you will get tearing because the frame rate is uncapped and vsync is off, but if you are running above 60hz let's say 120hz you won't see any tearing at all since it's within the target FPS range of the game.

baphomet

If you are running a 60hz display you will get tearing because the frame rate is uncapped and vsync is off, but if you are running above 60hz let's say 120hz you won't see any tearing at all since it's within the target FPS range of the game.

He literally asked if you had a VRR TV and turned off vsync if you'd be playing 4k/100+ fps, which yes, you absolutely will be.

You replied with, no unfortunately it runs at 60hz only etc.

Strange, that isn't how it was advertised.
MS stated numerous times the XSS was a lower end console focused more on 1440p. They said it would have the same hardware feature set as the XSX and it would play the same games. They never promised all games would have raytracing or would run with the same graphical features as XSX. Hell the XSX doesn't always have raytracing when PC versions of the same games do. Customers seem to like the system just fine.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yes.
Bright Memory Infinite is basically a remake of Bright Memory with a lot more content.
Bright Memory was an Xbox Series launch title.

Infinite added its own, completely separate short campaign, that added a new move, new enemies, etc. On PC it was given away for free for everyone who bought Bright Memory.

I don’t think anything we redone in the original release, but now you have me thinking I should go back and check.

baphomet

MS stated numerous times the XSS was a lower end console focused more on 1440p. They said it would have the same hardware feature set as the XSX and it would play the same games. They never promised all games would have raytracing or would run with the same graphical features as XSX. Hell the XSX doesn't always have raytracing when PC versions of the same games do. Customers seem to like the system just fine.

Dude, it's literally what they sold the console on.

From Microsoft's now privated, but still available elsewhere Series S Deep Dive.

“This means that Xbox Series S delivers the same incredible next-generation experience and features as Series X — just at a reduced rendering resolution.”

Neo_game

This game got lot of attention when it was first shown, I think 1 Chinese dev made that early access on steam. Not sure how many are working on it since they have ported this game even on switch. Hopefully this means that iron monkey game made by some other Chinese indie dev also get released sooner or later.

From Microsoft's now privated, but still available elsewhere Series S Deep Dive.

“This means that Xbox Series S delivers the same incredible next-generation experience and features as Series X — just at a reduced rendering resolution.”
Tell us the features (aside from "reduced rendering resolution") the XSX has and the XSS doesn't. Pro tip: you can't.

baphomet

Tell us the features (aside from "reduced rendering resolution") the XSX has and the XSS doesn't. Pro tip: you can't.

You just ignoring the part the matters?

Because I can list plenty of games that don't offer the same next generation experience as the Series X, even with a reduced resolution.

Riky

$MSFT
Microsoft's view of next generation features is the likes of Quick Resume and the VA. There is no mandate to third parties to fulfill what the Series S was designed to do, they can reduce any graphical features they see fit as long as the gameplay is intact.
Since your save works across consoles that's the case.
Played on both Series consoles and the Series S version runs really well, Series X is the best easily but that's what 12tflops gets you.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Reminds me of "every Xbox 360 game has to have 4xMSAA to get certification from Microsoft" -> same unrealistic expectations.

Sorry if this message is a bother but I’m curious about the v sync statement he mentioned when turning it off it introduced screen tearing and uncaps the framerate so question 1 does vrr fix the screen tearing and 2 can you uncap the rt mode to 120 with the v sync removed?

DaGwaphics

Sorry if this message is a bother but I’m curious about the v sync statement he mentioned when turning it off it introduced screen tearing and uncaps the framerate so question 1 does vrr fix the screen tearing and 2 can you uncap the rt mode to 120 with the v sync removed

VRR should always eliminate tearing within the range supported by the display if it is working correctly.

AetherZX

Lower end devices get graphical cutbacks. This video showed how high end PCs have more raytracing effects than PS5 and XSX.
Yep, RT is ultimately just a visual effect. The objective of the Series S is to run the same games, not run the same games at the same settings and somehow only have to worry about dialing back resolution. Not happening.

What about that isn't true? Next gen experience is all about Quick Resume, SSD load times, 60 FPS and it having the same library as the $200 more expensive sibling. The main difference is the resolution because you can't name one game the XSX has the XSS can't play. It's just a certain segment of people that intentionally misrepresent what the MS clearly stated.

Yep, RT is ultimately just a visual effect. The objective of the Series S is to run the same games, not run the same games at the same settings and somehow only have to worry about dialing back resolution. Not happening.
And this is a person who was clearly paying attention. Thank you. People claiming that MS stated the XSS would run games exactly like the XSX are lying plain and simple.

No company has EVER promised all graphical effects will be present on every game on their platform. Really odd people want to hold that standard to a budget console of all things.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes they do.
It's automatically eliminated from the current gen if it has to be made to also run on older gen hardware.

Again, that is not true. You're confusing something else with scalability.

Godfall was a launch PS5 game that the developers swore was only possible on next gen, and at the time of its launch it *was* one of the few games that showed off the new consoles well, but that game later got a PS4 port and further still got a port to the even weaker Xbox One.

Not to mention other examples like Horizon, God of War, GT7 which have bespoke next gen versions but also have last gen versions, which don't prevent them from being actual next-gen experiences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom