• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

S0ULZB0URNE

Again, that is not true. You're confusing something else with scalability.

Godfall was a launch PS5 game that the developers swore was only possible on next gen, and at the time of its launch it *was* one of the few games that showed off the new consoles well, but that game later got a PS4 port and further still got a port to the even weaker Xbox One.

Not to mention other examples like Horizon, God of War, GT7 which have bespoke next gen versions but also have last gen versions, which don't prevent them from being actual next-gen experiences.
We know that Godfall's devs were full of it when it also runs on HDD's.

Horizon FW and GT7 are also cross gen as is GOW R.

They can't be actual current gen experiences if they are still programed for older tech.
I suggest a actual listen to Mark Cerny's deep dive on the PS5.

AetherZX

What about that isn't true? Next gen experience is all about Quick Resume, SSD load times, 60 FPS and it having the same library as the $200 more expensive sibling. The main difference is the resolution because you can't name one game the XSX has the XSS can't play. It's just a certain segment of people that intentionally misrepresent what the MS clearly stated.

And this is a person who was clearly paying attention. Thank you. People claiming that MS stated the XSS would run games exactly like the XSX are lying plain and simple.

No company has EVER promised all graphical effects will be present on every game on their platform. Really odd people want to hold that standard to a budget console of all things.

I feel that didn't even have to be said; it's common sense. For example, two GPUs at different price tiers will probably run the same game, but the graphics settings won't be the same and it won't be a matter of 'just dropping the resolution', lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

S0ULZB0URNE

Mr Moose

[/URL]

The SSD was literally touted as one of the big reasons it was PS5 exclusive in the first place.

I think it's safe to say most developers say bullshit anyway.
That's clickbait.
PSLS: What unique benefits are you getting by developing Godfall on next-generation hardware? Why make it a PS5 exclusive rather than a cross-gen release with PS4?

Keith Lee: The exceptionally powerful SSD on the PlayStation 5 offers a new level of detail for each individual object as well as seamless loading of our expansiveness world. Our combat is kinesthetic in nature, so the new controller’s “adaptive triggers” and haptic feedback will make moment-to-moment combat feel exhilarating and visceral.
He really only answered the first part and kinda ignored the exclusive part.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's clickbait.

He really only answered the first part and kinda ignored the exclusive part.

To be fair, even PS centric websites were running with the same drivel in their headers.

The fact that an indie game can outshine many AAA games from a graphical and performance stand point is quite amazing, and embarrassing for them at the same time.
As for performance, this is pretty much what we expected at the beginning of the generation after the specs were revealed.

A slightly better XSX version that won't be noticeable to anyone that isn't freeze framing and zooming in 400x.

didn't even know this was out yet?

Yeah I thought yeast mammary was beef on Xbox while original Bright Meomory the original game was the one already out on other consoles. If Infinite is also on other consoles then how they marketed the exclusivity of this game is confusing.

So Series S just doesn't get ray tracing now?
If those Forza promises MS made for Series S end up being true in the final release, third party devs won't have excuses anymore remortgaging Rayskating on Xbox Series S. That's supposed to be 60fps dynamic Ray Tracing everywhere all the time.

Where the hell is my Commodore 64 version then, damnit
They still haven't decided on whether to put it on Tape or Floppy.

Boy bawang

Hopefully 2024.
The longer they wait, the better the chance that it’s pretty powerful.

If we can get a Switch 2 that’s somewhat more powerful than the Deck, you’d be assured of next gen ports for the entire generation.

We kinda know what to expect since the Nvidia hack. Basically a PS4 with DLSS and some basic ray tracing on top. But I agree that 2024 is the likeliest.

sinnergy

I feel that didn't even have to be said; it's common sense. For example, two GPUs at different price tiers will probably run the same game, but the graphics settings won't be the same and it won't be a matter of 'just dropping the resolution', lol.
But you know you are buying a inferior Xbox.. so my bet is the users know .. they are not into graphics.. but games , unlike the majority of GAF.

Bojji

I meant it was one person and as far as I was aware it was an exclusive for a while until it wasn't, so they had more time with the Series consoles.
And no, Series X is not that much more powerful to run at 20% higher res while also running a lot better. It's not the GPU heavy mode that runs worse, its the 120Hz mode.

In TF difference alone 20% better framerate is explained, but yeah not with lower resolution. But there is also the case of memory bandwitch that is often forgotten, Xbox has higher amount of it.

Or maybe PS5 version is not optimized enough, who knows.... But both of these consoles are super simple and easy to develop for so devs are able to maximize performance with much lower effort (compared to PS3 or even Xbox One S).

Whatever the case, PS5 version is still very good, it's just that XSX version is better.

lovin98ji0.png

Steam seems to be loving it. Also an impressive amount of reviews.

I'll still wait for Gamepass tho.
Probably cause we got Infinite free if we spent the few dollars to buy the OG one lol.

It literally feels like what would happen if some of those tech demos devs release to show off a gameplay engine were to be turned into a short game.

It's pretty tho

TxKnight7

Could be, I remember seeing it on a Xbox event and people saying it was exclusive, I might've been drunk.

It's just one guy pretty much, so limited time and budget probably played a part in no last gen release (yet).

I meant it was one person and as far as I was aware it was an exclusive for a while until it wasn't, so they had more time with the Series consoles.
And no, Series X is not that much more powerful to run at 20% higher res while also running a lot better. It's not the GPU heavy mode that runs worse, its the 120Hz mode.

Did the same thing happened here
i mean is ps5 more powerful in GPU power ?

IDVNzy7.jpg

dWSgHxD.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Did the same thing happened here
i mean is ps5 more powerful in GPU power ?

IDVNzy7.jpg

dWSgHxD.jpg
Did I say that? Re-read what I said.
giphy.webp

This is what the dev said:

It's one guy who was clearly working on the game first on Series consoles.
I'm hoping this goes on sale soon, I would love to have this as a showpiece thing but maybe at a little less than $19.99 :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Wasn't it meant to be free if you owned the original or was that just PC?

Last edited:

Banned
Maybe John should have put up , $3000 > $500 > $499 > $299 instead of PC > Series X > PS > Series S :messenger_tears_of_joy:

a 500€ PC can run it at near PS5 settings no problem.
LTT literally made an example build a few weeks ago for $500, and I checked someone testing it on a similar PC,
it runs at 4K close to 60fps without RT on a $500 PC. make it a $600 PC and it will run better than PS5, especially with RT on

this myth about expensive PCs is hilarious.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

LTT literally made an example build a few weeks ago for $500, and I checked someone testing it on a similar PC,
it runs ar 4K 60fps without RT on a $500 PC. make it a $600 PC and it will run better than PS5, especially with RT on

Let me guess, deactivated Windows and a few parts that he got used from a friend? LOL

Banned
Let me guess, deactivated Windows and a few parts that he got used from a friend? LOL

windows is 20 bucks...

and yes I think the GPU was used in near mint condition, but the rest was just really cheap parts that are more than enough for gaming.

you don't need an intel i9 to be on PS5/SX levels of performance for example, a relatively cheap CPU will get you either close or even on par with them.

and here's the kicker, you can actually just go online and buy all of the parts very easily :) which can't be said about the consoles

Last edited:
windows is 20 bucks...

and yes I think the GPU was used in near mint condition, but the rest was just really cheap parts that are more than enough for gaming.

you don't need an intel i9 to be on PS5/SX levels of performance for example, a relatively cheap CPU will get you either close or even on par with them.

and here's the kicker, you can actually just go online and buy all of the parts very easily :) which can't be said about the consoles
I paid 7$ Canadian for my windows. Regular price was 13.99$

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it runs at 4K close to 60fps without RT on a $500 PC. make it a $600 PC and it will run better than PS5, especially with RT on

And you can get a similar digital only (since PC is 99.9% digital) hassle free PS5 for $400. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

windows is 20 bucks...

This $500 PC probably won't run current-gen only games at the same performance levels of the consoles, cross-gen might be okay.

Banned
This $500 PC probably won't run current-gen only games at the same performance levels of the consoles, cross-gen might be okay.

a 2060 is more than enough to play current gen games my guy, that card has better RT performance than either console.

upgrade that to a cheap 2070 and you are more than good for current gen

Last edited:
a 2060 is more than enough to play current gen games my guy, that card has better RT performance than either console.

Prices are really decent right now. You can get a proper PC for 700 bucks, only slightly more expensive than the consoles.

DaGwaphics

RT Maybe. General performance? I guess we'll see.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Last edited:

Banned
I guess we'll see.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

well, I bet that 2060 can play most games at above PS5 quality the moment raytracing is in play.

and while it is worse in pure raster performance, DLSS will help it in many titles to keep up with the consoles.

bright memory infinite with RT runs almost as good as on PS5, but remember that RT in the PC version is way higher fidelity.

that's something more devs should change about their PC versions honestly. you often can't even match console settings because consoles have usually RT settings below the PC's lowest setting.

if you could go as low as consoles, in some games, you could even match PS5 quality on a GTX1080ti, which doesn't even have RT acceleration hardware.
but the 1080ti can run Watch Dogs Legion with the highest RT settings at 1080p ~40fps, consoles use way lower res RT settings and lower draw distance inside the reflections. you can match the draw distance of the consoles but not the low RT resolution of the consoles sadly...
I would love to see how this non RT accelerated card would perform with exactly PS5 equivalent settings

Last edited:

clampzyn

current gen consoles are AMD's hardware, sure it has RT hardware but it was never advertised to run RT as good as cards that were meant to run RT.

Sure 2060 can have higher RT settings because that's the purpose of RTX cards, consoles purpose are to target 4k which 2060 is not meant for. Each hardware have different goals

Last edited:
Top Bottom