• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Bright Memory Infinite - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Nintendo Switch!

Banned
current gen consoles are AMD's hardware, sure it has RT hardware but it was never advertised to run RT as good as cards that were meant to run RT.

Sure 2060 can have higher RT settings because that's the purpose of RTX cards, consoles purpose are to target 4k which 2060 is not meant for. Each hardware have different goals

I mean, I don't know if you try to defend the consoles here or if you are trying to diss AMD 🤣

clampzyn

and im pretty sure if the devs of this game decided to go dynamic 1440p on series x/ps5, it could have way better RT performance because 4k is super expensive to run at native 4k. Even a 3080 at 4k needs DLSS Quality mode which is essentially 1440p to run this game with RT highest setting to get a stable 60-90FPS.

Last edited:

clampzyn

I mean, I don't know if you try to defend the consoles here or if you are trying to diss AMD

Nah i'm not doing any of those because I know that limitations of this consoles are which is very obvious.

Banned
and im pretty sure if the devs of this game decided to go dynamic 1440p on series x/ps5, it could have way better RT performance because 4k is super expensive to run at native 4k. Even a 3080 at 4k needs DLSS Quality mode which is essentially 1440p to run this game with RT highest setting to get a stable 60-90FPS.

that should have been an option maybe, but it should also be an option on PC to match console RT settings.
it's so weird to me that devs seem to be totally fine with the state of their RT settings on console, but deny PC players that same quality option.

Watch Dogs Legion uses checkerboarding for reflections on console, but on PC it doesn't have that option for example. many PC cards could keep up with consoles way better if devs actually gave PC players the option to run the game the same way

clampzyn

I think because having too many option on consoles takes too much time. The game already has 3 option which is great but doing another one would take a lot of resources specially for this game which is only a small studio. Maybe in the future they'll consider it though but who knows.

Mr Moose

PS5/Series Xs RT perf has been downgraded from 2060 Super to the normal 2060.
Tune in next week when they'll be at 3050 levels.

Last edited:

sinnergy

While I don't have the exact details of the comparisons in memory, I remember that often the consoles have lower RT settings than the lowest ones possible on PC, so it's not even a fair comparison.
Everyone is so hyper focused on RT, before this generation launched people had bets be they wouldn’t have RT, and now they have it .. it’s shit 🤣 stop hyper zooming in at all the details and just enjoy that there is RT on consoles . Even at lower precision It helps to create a more believable image .

Last edited:

clampzyn

Everyone is so hyper focused on RT, before this generation launched people had nets they wouldn’t have RT, and now they have it .. it’s shit 🤣 stop hyper zooming in at all the details and just enjoy that there is RT on consoles . Even at lower precision It helps to create a more believable image .

I don't know why they're downplaying RT on consoles , having it on consoles is just a bonus anyway.

I don't know why they're downplaying RT on consoles , having it on consoles is just a bonus anyway.
I turn it off any chance I get, trading it in for better performance or higher resolution. It's a gimmick in almost every game. One exception: Metro Exodus.

Neofire

Definitely poor optimization, how is the series S running as good as the series X just lower resolution đź‘€. I don't even have to go into the specs different between the series S and ps5 đź‘€

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You described checking specific sites and being patient. That's exactly required for scoring cheap PC parts.
You don't need to build a PS5. Or an XSX. Funny how you PC guys always talk about the PS5 when it comes to "why buy one when you can build" but never the XSX which would be even more redundant to have if you own or want to build a PC.

Your average normie who wants a PS5, wants it for specific games, and doesn't want to build shit. Best of both worlds would be a good PC and PS5, like how I and many people do it.

You don't need to build a PS5. Or an XSX. Funny how you PC guys always talk about the PS5 when it comes to "why buy one when you can build" but never the XSX which would be even more redundant to have if you own or want to build a PC.

Your average normie who wants a PS5, wants it for specific games, and doesn't want to build shit. Best of both worlds would be a good PC and PS5, like how I and many people do it.
Somewhere along the way you lost track of what we were talking about.

Here is the thing about this game.

It's $20.00

It's 2 hours long.

But the game is separated in chapters which is actually great. I only played the first chapter and it was pretty intense. So intense that you don't really want to play the next chapter without a break. It's been about 2 weeks since I played that first chapter so when I eventually go back the game will still feel fresh and fun to play.

I'm also only playing on normal and it has a hard mode. So I think that will give it some more replay-ability if I want to challenge myself a bit more.

In conclusion, don't knock 2 hour games. Journey was a 2 hour game it has been absolutely life changing. That game was a masterpiece.

This game is not a masterpiece but I'll happily pay $20 for well made, fun, short game that doesn't over stay it's welcome. Hopefully the creator will make plenty of money and make a third game that's even better.

I thought there wasn't a 120Hz mode for Series S? 120fps with RT? Hmmm... Something seems fishy here.
Edit: They recorded footage in 4k/60fps but they could detect 120fps? Yeah that's fake.
https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-4k60-pro
He didn’t record the footage in 120 just presented the framerate analysis. The framerate analysis doesn’t look fake with how wildly it’s fluctuating (can drop as low as the low 70s)

Could be, I remember seeing it on a Xbox event and people saying it was exclusive, I might've been drunk.

It's just one guy pretty much, so limited time and budget probably played a part in no last gen release (yet).

I meant it was one person and as far as I was aware it was an exclusive for a while until it wasn't, so they had more time with the Series consoles.
And no, Series X is not that much more powerful to run at 20% higher res while also running a lot better. It's not the GPU heavy mode that runs worse, its the 120Hz mode.

You can see the Max limits with v sync off in the rt mode series x runs better there as well

Looks like Xbox Series X is the platform of choice for me this time round. It holds what seems to be a really consistent 120fps and VRR will iron out any kinks. It's a little beast of a box that continues to impress me. Series X is really coming into its own as time goes on.
Play the rt mode with v sync off instead while using vrr you get a range of 71-120

Mr Moose

He didn’t record the footage in 120 just presented the framerate analysis. The framerate analysis doesn’t look fake with how wildly it’s fluctuating (can drop as low as the low 70s)
How do you think they get the framerate? They analyse the video from the recording. They recorded using an ELGATO 4K60 Pro MK.2 Game Capture Card, it was captured at the max res, which is 4k and 60fps. The analysis is fake.

Last edited:
How do you think they get the framerate? They analyse the video from the recording. They recorded using an ELGATO 4K60 Pro MK.2 Game Capture Card, it was captured at the max res, which is 4k and 60fps. The analysis is fake.
You can still have an external framerate monitor all the capture card is for is the gameplay footage

Apologies. I mean the Series X is my platform of choice to play this game over the PS5 version. I own both consoles. I usually just play multi plats on whatever console runs it best on a case by case basis. The Xbox version here at 120fps seems the best way to play on console by quite a margin, but that doesn't mean the PS5 version is bad in any way.
The best way to play on console is the rt mode with v sync off on a vrr display

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

You are bogging up threads bro.
Use the multi quote feature.

Click Quote on everyone you want to reply to.
Then at the bottom hit Insert quotes.
Youll be able to reply to everyone in one fell swoop.

WNbVOMS.jpg

White theme so it doesnt blend into the dark theme, sorry about your eyes.

Last edited:
You are bogging up threads bro.
Use the multi quote feature.

Click Quote on everyone you want to reply to.
Then at the bottom hit Insert quotes.
Youll be able to reply to everyone in one fell swoop.

WNbVOMS.jpg

White theme so it doesnt blend into the dark theme, sorry about your eyes.
This is hard on mobile I’m sorry I’m used to Reddit and I’m still experiencing growing pains on using the format of this site I’ll get there though I promise

Huh, so basically if you have a VRR TV, just turn v-sync off and enjoy mostly triple digit fps at 4K? Big if true.
It makes sense since v sync is somewhat a performance cost and it’s also a bit weird DF never did a framerate analysis of this would have been pretty fun to see I shouldn’t have to go to unknown channels to get this info

Last edited:
Unfortunately it runs 60hz only but the fps is up to 4k native @ 120fps for lower input lag, this is true I tested it myself but camera panning feels 60hz but the input lag is much lower. You won't see screen tearing if you have VRR or a Freesync display which is great.
Wait are you serious did you make sure your at 120hz output instead of 60 that may be the dilemma

Justin9mm

Wasn't this game made by like 1 guy?

I haven't watched the DF vid but I heard it has some really illogical button mapping choices.

a 2060 is more than enough to play current gen games my guy, that card has better RT performance than either console.

upgrade that to a cheap 2070 and you are more than good for current gen
The 2060 can equal or beat out the consoles, when paired with a 12900k… absolutely not with a 3700x

that should have been an option maybe, but it should also be an option on PC to match console RT settings.
it's so weird to me that devs seem to be totally fine with the state of their RT settings on console, but deny PC players that same quality option.

Watch Dogs Legion uses checkerboarding for reflections on console, but on PC it doesn't have that option for example. many PC cards could keep up with consoles way better if devs actually gave PC players the option to run the game the same way
Got to push that 4k marketing

While I don't have the exact details of the comparisons in memory, I remember that often the consoles have lower RT settings than the lowest ones possible on PC, so it's not even a fair comparison.
Thats in certain games (usually launch window games) they usually run low-Ned rt settings as of late

clampzyn

Found an analysis with v sync of
Yea the 120fps RT Mode on Series X is still on question whether the dynamic resolution is kicking in because DF said it was running 4k native on both RT and Default mode but elenalista claimed RT mode seems to run on DRS. Series S might dip below 900p to reach those 120fps. I don't know if the analysis is accurate though but the guy also did resident evil next gen update analysis which seems to be accurate on his fps graph.

clampzyn

Wait are you serious did you make sure your at 120hz output instead of 60 that may be the dilemma

I tried setting my display to 60hz, and yes it causes tearing when VSYNC off + RT on. This might be because the FPS is running above 60 in this mode, we need 1 more analyst to confirm all of this because I don't have a capture card to get those graphs.

Last edited:

Banned
Yea the 120fps RT Mode on Series X is still on question whether the dynamic resolution is kicking in because DF said it was running 4k native on both RT and Default mode but elenalista claimed RT mode seems to run on DRS. Series S might dip below 900p to reach those 120fps. I don't know if the analysis is accurate though but the guy also did resident evil next gen update analysis which seems to be accurate on his fps graph.

uhm, you should watch the video again, because DF clearly said all mode use DRS on all consoles.
DF simply said that the SX version holds 4k more often than PS5

clampzyn

uhm, you should watch the video again, because DF clearly said all mode use DRS on all consoles.
DF simply said that the SX version holds 4k more often than PS5

Why don't you watch it and listen properly yourself? DF never stated Series X was running DRS even on the earlier part on the video. He just assumed it was but he wasn't able to find any DRS on series X hence he said it was running 4k native RT here:

Last edited:

clampzyn

Both DF and Elanalistadebits did the test they weren't able to pinpoint series x dropping on resolutions, even on DF's video he never mentioned Series X dips resolution at all. Elanalistadebits putting out DRS might just be because he wasn't sure if RT mode is in DRS or Not, its just a safety statement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom