• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Dead Space Remake This Is What A Best-In-Class Remake Looks Like

it doesn't. look at the edges, you can see very obvious pixel crawl on PS5 there, while it's smooth on SX

Nope.

If you look past the VRS effects there's a lot clarity lost on Xbox, like a AF problem. Look around at the lost detail and overly smudged look, again I'm not talking about VRS or some slight jaggy effect giving an illusion of detail. If you can't see it then no problem.
CQGtM33.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

Best in class remake???

Ehhh

Demons Souls would like a word

Its a decent remake but best in class? No esp when you see it up close

Demon Souls still the king
With the ruined art direction that makes it look like a generic fantasy game? The monster redesign that are just worse? The 30fps mode that has even more input latency than the OG game? Don't think so. At least the 60fps mode saves the day.
Gears 5 it worked great .. just saying .
Tried it in Gears 5 on PC. Still shit although nowhere near as bad as this.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Nope.

If you look past the VSR effects there's a lot clarity lost on Xbox, like a AF problem. Look around at the lost detail and overly smudged look, again I'm not talking about VSR or some slight jaggy effect giving an illusion of detail. If you can't see it then no problem.
CQGtM33.jpg
The yellow lines on the right look worse but it's hard to tell with those weird blocks on the left with other parts of the image.

DaGwaphics

That's what the dev told John.

I'm sorry but VRS so far just sucks. In every game I saw it, it just degraded image quality which is something that can be done with simple resolution scaling.

The resolution scaling would take out the whole image, the VRS just portions of it. If done well, you shouldn't notice that much. Overall the tech is quite new, I'll reserve judgement until it is more readily used.

Areas where there is a strong depth of field effect can be a perfect use for it (saving all the horsepower for the detailed foreground elements while not wasting it on the background that was getting blurred anyway).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's what the dev told John.

I'm sorry but VRS so far just sucks. In every game I saw it, it just degraded image quality which is something that can be done with simple resolution scaling.
It's why I call it the Vaseline Rendering Solution.

FRS/DLSS and other reconstruction techniques are far superior in every way.

Its a decent remake but best in class? No esp when you see it up close

Demon Souls still the king
This.

Last edited:
Nope.

If you look past the VSR effects there's a lot clarity lost on Xbox, like a AF problem. Look around at the lost detail and overly smudged look, again I'm not talking about VSR or some slight jaggy effect giving an illusion of detail. If you can't see it then no problem.
CQGtM33.jpg

Some folk may prefer the smoother look to the noisy implementation here on PS5, they both look to have their own issues though. Maybe its just a bad implementation. We've seen games use VRS on Xbox that don't lose so much detail and had software VRS on PS5/PS4 that isn't noisy like that.

R6Rider

Gold Member
-
Vastly improved as in making everything look more generic, sure lol.
4ig2pj8871o51.png

I'm sorry but that Walmart Balrog isn't better than the original design.
New one looks better with flames especially on the head.

The old one looks pretty lame honestly.
-
The old design was more of "angry guy with fire" and the new one is basically "angry beast on fire"

And other bosses across the board have better looking eyes instead of just bright glowing circles.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This is acceptable because it only affects consoles whereas the shader-compilation issues on PC is a deal-breaker.

Fuck right off.
What shader compilation issues? Dead Space compiles shaders before you start the game. I've encountered very little stutter. It's certainly a mile apart from where Callisto launched.

Gaiff

-

New one looks better with flames especially on the head.

The old one looks pretty lame honestly.
-
The old design was more of "angry guy with fire" and the new one is basically "angry beast on fire"

And other bosses across the board have better looking eyes instead of just bright glowing circles.
And incidentally, the lore points to the Flamelurker being a human in the past. Almost as if there's a lore reason behind those designs but Bluepoint went "fuck it, Balrog from LOTR looks cooler". So thank you with this post, it proves the point that I'm making.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
unplug your adapter and plug it into a different USB.

Windows 10 on multiple occasions did this to me where my controller wasn't fully recognised on one USB port but worked flawlessly on the other.

and then a day later it refused to work on that port and only worked on the first one again...

weirs stuff. didn't happen in a while for me tho, but this was something that fixed controller issues for me in the past

if nothing works then maybe add the game to Steam and use Steam's controller configuration for it.

also, does your PC have Bluetooth? because you could also connect your elite that way as an alternative
I jumped through a zillion hoops trying to get it to work and other games work fine with the same controller on the same pc.

It's listed as a known issue on Reddit so that is why I hope there is a fix on the way.

NinjaBoiX

Oh wow, that IQ really does look sketchy and I’m not usually too fussy about that stuff.
Just a shame they littered it with modern day liberal shit.
Still good though.
Tune in 24 March to see what a true Best-In-Class remake looks like.
What’s coming out on 24th March?

R6Rider

Gold Member
And incidentally, the lore points to the Flamelurker being a human in the past. Almost as if there's a lore reason behind those designs but Bluepoint went "fuck it, Balrog from LOTR looks cooler". So thank you with this post, it proves the point that I'm making.
Nothing is stopping the Flamelurker design old or new from being human in the past.

Does the lore explain the terrible eyes on the old Blue Dragon too?

Your own point doesn't even make sense. So you're welcome on pointing out your flawed logic.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nothing is stopping the Flamelurker design old or new from being human in the past.

Your own point doesn't even make sense. So you're welcome on pointing out your flawed logic.
You could have turned him into a hippo and nothing would have prevented him from being human in the past. Stupid rebuttal.

The point is that there's a reason behind his design because there's an untold story behind him. Bluepoint went fuck it and turned him into a "beast" as you put, ignoring From's habit of hiding lore bits in the environment or in character designs. The point makes perfect sense but you decided to ignore it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You could have turned him into a hippo and nothing would have prevented him from being human in the past. Stupid rebuttal.

The point is that there's a reason behind his design because there's an untold story behind him. Bluepoint went fuck it and turned him into a "beast" as you put, ignoring From's habit of hiding lore bits in the environment or in character designs. The point makes perfect sense but you decided to ignore it.
They changed his look not his lore. Lorewise he could have easily came to become as seen in the game. Just like his moves are more beast like in both games than how a man would fight.

I'm not ignoring anything, you just keep contradicting your own argument.

bender

What time is it?
checkerboarding gets an unfairly bad rep imo in general.

I still think it's a great way to render games if done well. and Frostbite had absolutely excellent checkerboard rendering use in past games

Makes you wonder why they went with this solution instead.

It sort of sounds like the PS5 under load gets a double whammy effect of DRS and VRS which makes me a bit skeptical of how much this issue can be corrected.

All in all, this is a buzzkill. I'll wait to see what the patch does but I might just wait for a heavy discount at this point.

Last edited:

elco

Just a shame they littered it with modern day liberal shit.
Still good though.
Tune in 24 March to see what a true Best-In-Class remake looks like.
Which is littered with BS? Dead space, or TLOU remake? Also, what's happening March 24th?

Gaiff

They changed his look not his lore. Lorewise he could have easily came to become as seen in the game. Just like his moves are more beast like in both games than how a man would fight.

I'm not ignoring anything, you just keep contradicting your own argument.
His looks is part of his lore. That's what From always does. The reason he looks more "lame" and less of a beast is because he isn't a beast. He's a human turned into a demon and retains a very humanoid look to tell the player "look, this dude has a human face" *wink wink.*

And that's not even it. How about the Fat Official?

UZ-wuGyDL0yhckVqMIQhGcydKdxXT-z4vSssfVVxZVI.jpg

And the list goes on. The art style of the remake is generic shit supported by great tech. The exact opposite of the original. You could tell me it's Diablo IV and I would believe you, except that the artists at Blizzard are better monster designers than the guys at Bluepoint.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
His looks is part of his lore. That's what From always does. The reason he looks more "lame" and less of a beast is because he isn't a beast. He's a human turned into a demon and retains a very humanoid look to tell the player "look, this dude has a human face" *wink wink.*

And that's not even it. How about the Fat Official?

UZ-wuGyDL0yhckVqMIQhGcydKdxXT-z4vSssfVVxZVI.jpg

And the list goes on. The art style of the remake is generic shit supported by great tech. The exact opposite of the original. You could tell me it's Diablo IV and I would believe you, except that the artists at Blizzard are better monster designers than the guys at Bluepoint.
I liked a lot of the remake changes in the environements. I found myself looking around and being in awe of the vistas in it. Yes some enemies lost a little originality but imho this is more nostalgia. For the Flamelurker unless you calibrate your TV correctly I only remembered a giant shaped fire running to me all the time. In this regard the remake Flamelurker can be seen with clarity.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh wow, that IQ really does look sketchy and I’m not usually too fussy about that stuff.

What’s coming out on 24th March?
Which is littered with BS? Dead space, or TLOU remake? Also, what's happening March 24th?
giphy.webp

TLOU is a 1:1 rebuild in a new engine.
I wouldn't even call it a Remake.
But no I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
It's still great and doesn't deter your enjoyment, but you have to question what state of mind the people that saw the need to change it in the first place was.
I think changes to Nichole & Johnson would have been fine, but it doesn't stop there so it becomes just tad more noticeable.
I still recommend it because the team has done a fantastic job.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Hopefully whatever they’re working on to address the poor IQ is done soon. And hopefully Sony will give me a refund if it isn’t fixed. Game looks awful.

Last edited:

elco

giphy.webp

TLOU is a 1:1 rebuild in a new engine.
I wouldn't even call it a Remake.
But no I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
It's still great and doesn't deter your enjoyment, but you have to question what state of mind the people that saw the need to change it in the first place was.
I think changes to Nichole & Johnson would have been fine, but it doesn't stop there so it becomes just tad more noticeable.
I still recommend it because the team has done a fantastic job.

You'll have to forgive me for considering they just might have included more liberal agenda in another TLOU release lol. The context appeared to be comparing the dead space remake to the TLOU remake, or so I thought, so I wasn't sure which you were talking about since you weren't explicit. Disappointing to hear dead space did this.

VRS is literally just DRS but used for specific parts lf the image only.

Tier 2 VRS as seen in the Xbox version can target specific polygons of specific assets for example.
so instead of scaling down the whole image, in a perfect implementation it would literally only scale down the things that would look almost identical in full res and in the scaled down res.

so maybe one part of a table is in full, almost pitch black shadow. a VRS Tier 2 implementation can then render that side of the table at quarter res and you wouldn't even notice it.

but many games so far indeed had some issues with VRS, where it's too obvious.
Good insight.
In an ideal use case of VRS, you wouldn't notice it. It's whole selling point is that its an invisible performance saving technique, but here you have it in Dead Space downgrading pixels in real time, completely visible to the player, defeating the entire point of using it in the first place.

If you're going to use VRS, it should not be noticeable, full stop.

If you're players can see it, use something less grotesque and horrid looking to save on performance.
THIS! Doom Eternal on Series X does it perfectly. This is a disaster. A worst case scenario type of implementation.

Last edited:

Nocturno999

Good insight.

THIS! Doom Eternal on Series X does it perfectly. This is a disaster. A worst case scenario type of implementation.
Have you tried to play Doom eternal with VRS off to see if the technique is really worth it? Most PC users I have seen in forums said they actually prefer turning it off when they see how it spoils the image.

Mr Moose

does it?

R random gafmod feel free to ban me now.

jCS865j.png

Imagine posting a video on a thread about comparison videos and getting abused by a mod.

Performance and quality is all over the place on ps5.

There is another thread also on this confirming the state of the game on PS5.

Some rando who can't even get the RGB settings right?
Have you tried to play Doom eternal with VRS off to see if the technique is really worth it? Most PC users I have seen in forums said they actually prefer turning it off when they see how it spoils the image.
VRS is not that good in Doom Eternal, they are mistaken.

Last edited:
does it?

R random gafmod feel free to ban me now.

jCS865j.png

Imagine posting a video on a thread about comparison videos and getting abused by a mod.

Performance and quality is all over the place on ps5.

There is another thread also on this confirming the state of the game on PS5.

[/URL]

I was using DF footage and only talking about textures clarity. I haven't seen this youtuber analysis yet. At some point he seems to cherry pick one area running bad on PS5 and turning around in the same place for some time. I think I already saw this guy doing similar things (cherry picking) before.

Anyways the game has many problems specifically on PS5. It's clearly not the most optimized version.

I have Eternal on ps5 and series x and it looks a lot sharper on the SX. That's why I said it's so well done. I don't know if any of the SX modes have vrs turned off or not (I think they're all on) but as far as I can tell it's done "right".

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

To the people asking for them to elaborate on console comparison and performance. He said theres a video coming up to talk specifically about the console comparison and that he wanted to focus on the differences with the OG one in this video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom