• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Dead Space Remake This Is What A Best-In-Class Remake Looks Like

Riky

$MSFT
I have Eternal on ps5 and series x and it looks a lot sharper on the SX. That's why I said it's so well done. I don't know if any of the SX modes have vrs turned off or not (I think they're all on) but as far as I can tell it's done "right".

Because it runs at a higher resolution thanks to hardware VRS, the Devs went into this in detail with DF.

"Xbox Series X operates at a dynamic 1800p, while PlayStation 5 tops out at 1584p - and it is visibly blurrier."

Last edited:

coniglio

Banned
I have Eternal on ps5 and series x and it looks a lot sharper on the SX. That's why I said it's so well done. I don't know if any of the SX modes have vrs turned off or not (I think they're all on) but as far as I can tell it's done "right".
It look a lot sharper to you.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
giphy.webp

TLOU is a 1:1 rebuild in a new engine.
I wouldn't even call it a Remake.
But no I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
It's still great and doesn't deter your enjoyment, but you have to question what state of mind the people that saw the need to change it in the first place was.
I think changes to Nichole & Johnson would have been fine, but it doesn't stop there so it becomes just tad more noticeable.
I still recommend it because the team has done a fantastic job.
Fg6D75b.png

rofif

Banned
giphy.webp

TLOU is a 1:1 rebuild in a new engine.
I wouldn't even call it a Remake.
But no I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
It's still great and doesn't deter your enjoyment, but you have to question what state of mind the people that saw the need to change it in the first place was.
I think changes to Nichole & Johnson would have been fine, but it doesn't stop there so it becomes just tad more noticeable.
I still recommend it because the team has done a fantastic job.
There is a also REBOOT category. Not only Remake and Remaster.
TLOU is clearly a remake as assets were re-made from scratch. not remaster of existing assets.
Dead Space is reboot light

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
vrs is tragic. Didn't microsoft invented that shite technique ?

No. That was NVidia with Turing.
Although MS did the API implementation for DX12.

But VRS can be good if properly implemented ,like in Gears5. I used on PC, in the quality mode, and I could barely tell the diference.
The implementation of VRS on the PS5 is the real problem, it's a software based solution, since the PS5 has no HW support for the feature. And on top of it, it's a bad implementation of software VRS.

rofif

Banned
No. That was NVidia with Turing.
Although MS did the API implementation for DX12.

But VRS can be good if properly implemented ,like in Gears5. I used on PC, in the quality mode, and I could barely tell the diference.
The implementation of VRS on the PS5 is the real problem, it's a software based solution, since the PS5 has no HW support for the feature. And on top of it, it's a bad implementation of software VRS.
ok but if I remember.. it gave like 1-2fps in gears?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
TLOU is clearly a remake as assets were re-made from scratch. not remaster of existing assets.
Yeah the game was rebuilt with a new engine.
But it's.... skeleton if you will, is the same.
Everything other then how you see it has remained the same.
I don't personally see it as a Remake imo.
Let's take cars as an example
Remastered - refurbish with new original parts to look like new again.

What TLOUPT1 is - Striped down to the frame and replace every part with up-to-date materials and tech.
So it still the same but a lot more advanced and better then the original.

Remake: new 2023 model which has been completely remade and is based on the original but is it's own thing.

damidu

game looks like macro blocked video stream from 90s, best in class my ass lol

john’s constant ea licking is getting out of hand, he was praising nfs graphics to high heavens as well, while it wasn’t anything special.

winjer

Gold Member

No. it gave more than that. Around 5-10% with quality and around 10-15% with performance mode. Depending on scene.
The performance mode was a bit too aggressive for my liking. But the quality mode was a great way to gain a handful of fps, for free.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that modern CoD games use a software based VRS solution, and it looks much better than what EA did with this remake on the PS5.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The team is working on a patch that will improve the issue on PS5.
This patch will also provide an option to disable VRS on PC.
No ETA quite yet, but I’ll keep you all updated. Thank you for your patience as well as your help with identifying this issue!
Why no toggle on consoles?:messenger_weary:

Zathalus

Nothing wrong with VRS, the PS5 software implementation is just shit. Software VRS can look good, as COD demonstrates. But it appears good software VRS is much harder to implement hence hardware Tier 2 VRS becoming a thing.

Shitting on VRS because of this game is the same as claiming HDR in games are pointless after playing a game with bad HDR.

rofif

Banned
Also.... wasn't forspoken trashed last week for having low internal resolution performance mode?
Both games use fsr and target 1440p in performance mode.... and both have bad image quality. I am starting to loathe fsr. Looks like dithered shit.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Also.... wasn't forspoken trashed last week for having low internal resolution performance mode?
Both games use fsr and target 1440p in performance mode.... and both have bad image quality. I am starting to loathe fsr. Looks like dithered shit.
Not FSR's fault. It can only do so much working with a low internal resolution. Devs should have spent more time getting their games up to snuff. 3200x1800 as a base resolution with FSR on top looks clean. When your internal res drops to as low as 720p, AI/upscaling can't save you.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

FSR 2.1 can do very well as an upscaler. But it can't do miracles.
When a game goes as low as 720p, with bad graphics like those, nothing can save it.
There have been other games on console with FSR2 that did a good job a it, like Scorn, for example.

The thing is, a temporal upscaler requires some work to make it look good, or it will have temporal artifacts and bad coverage.
In this game we have a bad implementation of software VRS that ruins everything.
The Xbox version with HW VRS and FSR2 looks good.

TonyK

Is the game a bug-free experience on XSX? or best to wait for some patches to come out?
3 hours on it and it works flawlessly. I didn't experienced any bug or other problem in any of the graphics modes. No noticeable frame drops, no stuttering, no sound problems, no control issues, quick resume works fine with it... game simply works.

It did far more than that. It led to higher average resolutions in general, leading to resolution not having to be dropped using DRS in certain scenes. VRS also allows developers to boost effects even more. It can be pushed further, but it needs to be properly built into every aspect of the rendering engine according to Coalition. It can be pushed further. id software is discovering this as are others.

Top Bottom