• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Dead Space Remake This Is What A Best-In-Class Remake Looks Like

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Update is out, PS5 is fixed đź‘Ť
8aA3Q0B.jpg
I am sorry. THIS is after the fix? That looks like shit. What did it look like before?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any truth to his claims?

Theoretically yes. But i wouldnt base that on one game. Doom Eternal also used VRS on Xbox consoles and the PS5 version looked sharper in several spots.
To be fair I have my screenshots on automatic
Here's a uncompressed png
18604c735c495-screenswke7g.png
I still dont see whats so impressive about this character model let alone environments. This is what demon souls looks like.

EmivdAZXMAA9vqK

QH7M8cceX8QVr6PP44ULjE.jpg

Vick

Man, impressions on the post-patch PS5 Performance Mode on Reee and especially Reddit are the most hype inducing shit I've read in ages.. ordered the game immediately and should start tomorrow.

hype-thrusters-activated-anime.gif

TrebleShot

Erm dont get too excited, its better but still not great.
It still looks low res overall I dont think its 1440p as advertised and looks significantly worse than what I would have expected.

Best visuals are on the Quality mode.

Tripolygon

Banned
Nope.

If you look past the VRS effects there's a lot clarity lost on Xbox, like a AF problem. Look around at the lost detail and overly smudged look, again I'm not talking about VRS or some slight jaggy effect giving an illusion of detail. If you can't see it then no problem.
CQGtM33.jpg
This is correct, disregarding the edge aliasing issue which seems to be fixed with a patch the image on the right looks visibly softer.

Last edited:

Lysandros

DF might as well scrap the comparison video that's releasing tomorrow and start over.
Wiser thing to do would be to wait just a few hours more for the update patch to make a healthier analysis video. It's too late now, the news being "PS5 version inferior software VRS vs the feature rich XSX" is in the wild (seeing the images even this wasn't really true by the way). Well, that's just another misunformation to adress about PS5 among countless now, deja vu really.

Last edited:
Wiser thing to do would be to wait just a few hours more for the update patch to make a healthier analysis video. It's too late now, the news being "PS5 version inferior software VRS vs the feature rich XSX" is in the wild (seeing the images even this wasn't really true by the way). Well, that's just another misunformation to adress about PS5 among countless now, deja vu really.
the way the xbox fanbase goes on with misinformation is odd though. There's no need for that. They primary shit talk source is things... that aren't true.

Ironically the Best VRS implementation (best as in not noticeable as it should) is the software implementation used in COD. Best because being software allows it to be more fine grained and flexible. A bit like UE5 using compute (software instead of hardware fixed functions) to render small polygons is actually the most efficient way, by far, to render those polygons.

Last edited:

Lysandros

the way the xbox fanbase goes on with misinformation is odd though. There's no need for that. They primary shit talk source is things... that aren't true.
Microsoft's created mirage should be warranted one way or the other i guess. The worse thing that could happen is console versions having feature and IQ parity. I personally find this mindset quite pathological.

Erm dont get too excited, its better but still not great.
It still looks low res overall I dont think its 1440p as advertised and looks significantly worse than what I would have expected.

Best visuals are on the Quality mode.
It's 1440p as an upper bounds but drops as low as 1080p. I think it looks pretty good now but also yeah performance looks worse than quality but of course it does. Quality mode has higher settings across the board according to NX Gamer. That's the way all games are tho look at Callisto Protocol- I see a similar level of difference between the two modes there as well.

Neo_game

Impressive reamke but the VRS kills the IQ and DRS range is also too big. I would rather prefer fixed resolution, may be 40fps mode as well. DS 4K 30fps and 1440P 60fps was probably more impressive.

Impressive reamke but the VRS kills the IQ and DRS range is also too big. I would rather prefer fixed resolution, may be 40fps mode as well. DS 4K 30fps and 1440P 60fps was probably more impressive.
Demon's Souls will probably stay as the best looking 60fps game on consoles. To me graphics are getting worse on those newer games on consoles. Things are getting more and more awful be it bad framerate, bad image quality, super blurry textures, sub 1080p resolution etc. The list of compromises is never ending.

Pedro Motta

Wow, just installed the patch, looks like a new game on PS5. How the fuck devs let it come out in the state it was in...

Hope DF updates their video after this patch, there was clearly a bug on the PS5 version. Not sure if VRS is completely disabled or they simply fixed it, but I was looking around looking for VRS artifacts and found none.

Last edited:

YCoCg

That is the right call but would also like him to include the previous version just to compare how things changed and improved.
Normally when a video is outdated right away or has to be remade, the original gets archived on Patreon as an extra. I'm sure the updated video will feature footage from the old one though as a "here's how it's improved" type thing.

So after the patch would you guys recommend performance mode? I’ve been playing quality mode the first six chapters and really have no complaints but want to give performance mode a whirl but don’t want the game to suffer horribly graphics wise.

shiru

Banned
You mean the vastly improved art direction?

DS purists are annoying
Seeing the footage shown I kept thinking just how generic it looks and devoid of any real art direction. In all the video comparisons I vastly prefered the look of the original. And I never played the game, so I'm not some staunch purist.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Many narratives have died on the first couple of pages.
The jumping to conclusion on buzzwords and console warring is embarrassing, but not as bad as the fact that EA released it in that state in the first place, and not as bad as the fact that literally no preview or review mentioned the game’s IQ issues. Yet again the people who preordered a game, or bought it day one, got hosed with an inferior version.

Seeing the footage shown I kept thinking just how generic it looks and devoid of any real art direction. In all the video comparisons I vastly prefered the look of the original. And I never played the game, so I'm not some staunch purist.

The original DS looks like shit, both artistically and graphically

The only reason people talk it up is due to nostalgia.

I never played the original DS because it looked so goddamn shitty. I played 20 minutes and noped the fuck out because it looked so bad.

The PS5 remake actually made it appealing to play

shiru

Banned
The original DS looks like shit, both artistically and graphically

The only reason people talk it up is due to nostalgia.

I never played the original DS because it looked so goddamn shitty. I played 20 minutes and noped the fuck out because it looked so bad.

The PS5 remake actually made it appealing to play
I don't have any nostalgia for it, I just think the remake looks very typical and derivative, nothing about it stands out. The original has a more unique look to it, and a lot of scenes look more interesting as well, that appear plain in the and visually boring remake

I don't have any nostalgia for it, I just think the remake looks very typical and derivative, nothing about it stands out. The original has a more unique look to it, and a lot of scenes look more interesting as well, that appear plain in the and visually boring remake

Oh!

I’m talking about Demons Souls, not dead space

Edder1

I hope they remake 2 next. My favorite entry easily.
This is a bad idea I believe. There isn't much you can change in DS2 as most of the changes and improvements in this remake were pulled from that game. Unlike the original DS2 still plays as good as any modern game. I also think if Motive rewrite the scrip and change the dynamic of some of the characters (like they did with remake) then it's gonna piss a lot of people off as the story of the second is regarded as flawless by fans. The only way DS2 remake can work imo is if it's done like TLOU Part 1 where it's just a visual upgrade.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Wow, just installed the patch, looks like a new game on PS5. How the fuck devs let it come out in the state it was in...

Hope DF updates their video after this patch, there was clearly a bug on the PS5 version. Not sure if VRS is completely disabled or they simply fixed it, but I was looking around looking for VRS artifacts and found none.
Because devs are people , not robots and people make mistakes .. that’s how .. doesn’t really matter to me , but how and how fast they fix it .

And they seem to fix fast , so I’ll wait with my play through until this weekend .

Last edited:
Top Bottom