• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Direct Weekly #63: New Consoles in 2024? Xbox Streaming Stick, PS+ Classics Disappoint

Some great discussions.

00:00:00 Introductions
00:00:46 News 01: TCL anticipates new consoles by 2024
00:13:07 News 02: Sony doubling down on PC
00:21:55 News 03: PS4 Cross-Gen here to stay for a while.
00:25:42 News 04: Next Xbox is a cloud streaming stick?
00:29:34 Supporter Q: What's your take on whether the big obstacle for making game streaming more attractive being the problem with Internet infrastructures, or something the streaming software can solve by itself?
00:35:42 News 05: PS Classics on PS+ isn't great
00:36:39 Supporter Q: PS Classics questions
00:50:42 Supporter Q01: If FSR 2.0 is providing comparable quality to DLSS, don't you think Nvidia is wasting precious silicon area that could be used on more shaders on tensor cores?
00:53:16 Supporter Q02: Any thoughts on DLSS, FSR, or XeSS being used to upscale streaming services like Netflix?
00:59:52 Supporter Q03: Do publishers update the versions of their games on physical discs for later print runs?
01:02:48 Supporter Q04: Can you see yourselves potentially using Steam OS on your non-work PCs once it's seen a proper release of version 3?
01:07:34 Supporter Q05: Do you think we could see cross-gen games that ditch the base last-gen consoles but work on the enhanced consoles?
01:09:11 Supporter Q06: Will Knack 3’s inevitable announcement (or release) coincide with a PS5 firmware update to enable its promised 8K output?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Supporter Q: What's your take on whether the big obstacle for making game streaming more attractive being the problem with Internet infrastructures, or something the streaming software can solve by itself?
This one heavily depends on the data center.
I have a 400mb unlimited internet, with big family using the internet. And I have no issues playing games on xcloud.

If you are far away from the data centers, your experience would be horrible, even if you have the best internet.

They need to have tons of data centers first, in order to make the experience smooth. Without that, it won't work good, even with the best internet.

Yeah. That was funny. People need to stop it with this rumor of a Pro version of the current gen consoles coming out in the next 2 years. It's not going to happen in this environment. Not with the PS5's demand is still exorbitant, and with the sky-high prices (and still rising exponentially) of the wafers and transistors needed for a PS5 Pro and XSXX.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah. That was funny. People need to stop it with this rumor of a Pro version of the current gen consoles coming out in the next 2 years. It's not going to happen in this environment. Not with the PS5's demand is still exorbitant, and with the sky-high prices (and still rising exponentially) of the wafers and transistors needed for a PS5 Pro and XSXX.
The consoles didn't even reach 40-50m yet.
It's waste of time and money. Plus you are making the devs job harder, since they would need to make games for these new consoles too.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I find it absolutely hilarious that John complains about platform bickering and yet they don't hesitate to stoke the flames. I expect this from Alex, but John not so much (timestamped).

It's not preposterous to suggests that PS5 may have hardware features that are later adopted into RDNA 3. Wasn't that the case with PS4 Async engines in the GPU? As "tech journalist" they should aim higher in their attempts to better inform their audience. Or at least ditch the hypocrisy by not participating in the foolishness.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Was gonna post this but apparently Gaf was down. I like the fact that Richard actually chuckles at people believing the tcl rumors.

Of course, TCL has no standing to break that kind of thing. It's just wishful thinking and aspiration based on previous generations trend.

kyliethicc

it was you wasn't it
lol nah I don’t do Patreon

Good to know that I’m not alone tho

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Last edited:

adamsapple

Previous generation*

Just the one actually.

04de737a-6845-446f-941c-e72ec8ed546b_text.gif

Yeah i meant the previous generation's trend, the apostrophe flew away.

--

Rich, John and Alex having a laugh at the PS5 RDNA2 discussion and 'cache scrubbers' probably gonna hit some Gaffers in the feels :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MacReady13

I find it absolutely hilarious that John complains about platform bickering and yet they don't hesitate to stoke the flames. I expect this from Alex, but John not so much (timestamped).

It's not preposterous to suggests that PS5 may have hardware features that are later adopted into RDNA 3. Wasn't that the case with PS4 Async engines in the GPU? As "tech journalist" they should aim higher in their attempts to better inform their audience. Or at least ditch the hypocrisy by not participating in the foolishness.

I cannot watch DF when that fucking moron Alex is on. His voice is annoying and his attitude towards a certain person in the industry REALLY pisses me off. Get him off DF and I'm back watching them. Until such time, they can go and get stuffed.

T-Cake

I find it hilarious them talking about lag in the cloud and they can’t get their audio and video in sync.

ParaSeoul

Yeah i meant the previous generation's trend, the apostrophe flew away.

--

Rich, John and Alex having a laugh at the PS5 RDNA2 discussion and 'cache scrubbers' probably gonna hit some Gaffers in the feels :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Also the Xbones second GPU in the power brick rumor but thats ancient

adamsapple

Now that's a rumor I didn't think I'd hear about again. The second GPU was supposed to be in the power brick if I recall :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lysandros

Exactly, extented Async Engines and queues for PS4 (the machine had other GPGPU customization like extra buses, volatile bit etc.) As to John he was never really enthusiastic about Sony hardware from days of PS1. So he is not that different from the rest of DF team in this regard, maybe you were expecting too much from him. In the same time nobody can reach the level of Alex who is spreading misinformation about PS5 since day one, downplaying it at every occasion.

ParaSeoul

Exactly, extented Async Engines and queues for PS4 (the machine had other GPGPU customization like extra buses, volatile bit etc.) As to John he was never really enthusiastic about Sony hardware from days of PS1. So he is not that different from the rest of DF team in this regard, maybe you were expecting too much from him. In the same time nobody can reach the level of Alex who is spreading misinformation about PS5 since day one, downplaying it at every occasion.
I remember people got mad John said he felt as if Microsoft should have never gotten into the gaming industry back in 2013/2014 on the other forum. The screenshots from that really caused a lot of discourse last year lmao. Alex on the other hand,yeah I never liked him much and he deserves almost all the shit thrown at him. I still don't understand how the rest of them are biased to you.

People also forget that none of those guys are actual developers, or have never had any experience in devloping. More importantly, they don’t even have any experience in developing gaming hardware architecture.

I’m not saying that’s what they claimed, but people should approach their opinions with caution; especially someone like Alex.

Lysandros

People also forget that none of those guys are actual developers, or have never had any experience in devloping. More importantly, they don’t even have any experience in developing gaming hardware architecture.

I’m not saying that’s what they claimed, but people should approach their opinions with caution; especially someone like Alex.
Indeed. Meanwhile Michael/NXgamer who has actual development experience has only 50 thousand subscribers compared to million+ of DF's. Thus DF have the monopoly to control the narrative of the generation essentially. Just sad, people don't want/appreciate quality apparently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom