• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dying Light 2 (PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't get the reaction over 1080p/60fps. Returnal and Guardians of The Galaxy also use 1080p to play at 60fps and I saw no one complaining and they are amazing games.
Returnal is not exactly 1080p. Uses a lot of clever reconstruction.
And the graphics are amazing.

Guadians at 1080p is just blurry low res. No special tricks

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
So is the Xbox One and PS4.

That doesn't make any sense, if it's "current gen only" then by definition it won't come to PS4 or Xbox One.
Say like Flight Simulator is current gen only, he's not talking about this specific game but when games don't come to last gen consoles they will still come to Series S as it's current gen.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
ye it's close to 15%

6718464 pixels vs 5760000

ybW2HVA.png
Where is this image from, its showing the ps5 dropping to 25 fps or is this a dr image

Bad analogy, this is more putting standard coffee grains in a luxury coffee maker and complain the coffee doesn't taste high class enough.
ah, well let’s tighten this up a bit. It’s more like putting in “luxury” labled coffee (next gen game) into a luxury grinder (ps5) and coming to find out it tastes like ass (last gen)?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Both systems have occasional stutters in resolution mode, that seems to be the consensus with the videos that are out.

just wondered where it was from because digital foundry only spotted this on the series x version. Who provided the video where the screens from? Hadn’t heard there was an issue with the ps5 version and doesn’t nxgamer say it’s locked? Maybe he didn’t test the jumping in the water part.

S0ULZB0URNE

That doesn't make any sense, if it's "current gen only" then by definition it won't come to PS4 or Xbox One.
Say like Flight Simulator is current gen only, he's not talking about this specific game but when games don't come to last gen consoles they will still come to Series S as it's current gen.
Huh? Dying Light 2 is also available on PS4 and Xbox One

DaGwaphics

just wondered where it was from because digital foundry only spotted this on the series x version. Who provided the video where the screens from? Hadn’t heard there was an issue with the ps5 version and doesn’t nxgamer say it’s locked? Maybe he didn’t test the jumping in the water part.

DF did see it in the PS5 version as well (which they mentioned), they just might not have bothered showing the frame-time graph. All the early reviews are noting inconsistency on both systems in resolution mode.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
DF did see it in the PS5 version as well (which they mentioned), they just might not have bothered showing the frame-time graph. All the early reviews are noting inconsistency on both systems in resolution mode.

ah ok, thought they said it only showed up in the Xbox version. I was interested to see the video that the image shared was from to see it.

looks like both versions struggle then in that particular scene when jumping in and out of the water.

DaGwaphics

ah ok, thought they said it only showed up in the Xbox version. I was interested to see the video that the image shared was from to see it.

looks like both versions struggle then in that particular scene when jumping in and out of the water.

There are some blips in frametime in Quality and Performance mode on XSS/XSX, apparently not very frequent or noticeable. Maybe you are thinking of that.

S0ULZB0URNE

The X1 and PS4 are last-gen systems that play last-gen and cross-gen games (which is what DL2 is). The XSS plays these games as well, but will also play current-gen only games. Didn't think this needed so much explanation.
You pointed out that it was also available for xss(which is no point) and I pointed out it's available for last gen.

If I was a betting man Id say some of the last gen versions will share the 1080p/30 of the xss version and wouldn't be surprised if the 6TF/12gb XB One X ran it at a higher than 1080p resolution.

DaGwaphics

You pointed out that it was also available for xss(which is no point) and I pointed out it's available for last gen.

If I was a betting man Id say some of the last gen versions will share the 1080p/30 of the xss version and wouldn't be surprised if the 6TF/12gb XB One X ran it at a higher than 1080p resolution.

I never made any reference to this game at all. I merely stated that software will always be the determining factor of what generation a system belongs to, and that XSS, as a current-gen system, would have access to current-gen games.

I do expect that X1X will run at a higher resolution (at lower more last-gen equivalent settings), that is its role to play. As to how much difference there is between last-gen and current-gen settings for this game, I couldn't say. Judging just from video alone the visuals on current-gen don't jump out at me, so maybe not that much difference. (I don't think this is a great example of cross-gen personally).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're hurt I get it, but you don't have to take my word for it, try listening to id who told it like it was, they wish every machine had it.
So you could not trust them when they said they did not like XSS because min specs matters and games do not scale up the way you think, but now their word is golden. I wonder if it could be confirmation bias? 🤔.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

ah, well let’s tighten this up a bit. It’s more like putting in “luxury” labled coffee (next gen game) into a luxury grinder (ps5) and coming to find out it tastes like ass (last gen)?
I was refering to the visuals only as the coffee. Looking at the package as a whole it seems pretty high class, though i guess this package came with a bug infestation in the midst (lolololololololol)

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I never made any reference to this game at all. I merely stated that software will always be the determining factor of what generation a system belongs to, and that XSS, as a current-gen system, would have access to current-gen games.

I do expect that X1X will run at a higher resolution (at lower more last-gen equivalent settings), that is its role to play. As to how much difference there is between last-gen and current-gen settings for this game, I couldn't say. Judging just from video alone the visuals on current-gen don't jump out at me, so maybe not that much difference. (I don't think this is a great example of cross-gen personally).
Fair enough.

It looks like shit because of the last gen support.

Riky

$MSFT
So you could not trust them when they said they did not like XSS because min specs matters and games do not scale up the way you think, but now their word is golden. I wonder if it could be confirmation bias? 🤔.

Can you quote where I said I don't "trust" them? When developers were shown the specs some complained but then deleted their concerns later. Some then admitted it was before they got Dev kits.
Doom Eternal ended up running at 120fps on Series S, so it all worked out fine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Returnal is not exactly 1080p. Uses a lot of clever reconstruction.
And the graphics are amazing.

Guadians at 1080p is just blurry low res. No special tricks

Guardians is also a slower paced game where playing with 30 FPS for higher resolution wasn't a big trade off, not unlike a first person shooter with a lot of parkour.

Your ignorance about the matter hurt me every single time. Nothing else. Stop it to believe to everything MS sell as miraculous to their fanbase. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Crawled out from under your rock I see 👀
4 years later...these arguments will still be the same...

There is really no difference to see here with this game at all.
There's no difference? Well thanks for clearing that up pal, maybe you should notify DF as they have noticed a difference 🤔

Confused by this statement. Obviously current gen consoles aren't powerful enough to run their game at the graphical settings they've choosen at 1440p 60FPS. If you really wanted full control on the experience given, cough up the money and build a capable PC.

Many games are running at >1080p 60fps on current gen. Seems like some devs know how to optimize their games and some don't. 🤷‍♂️

And lol at the PC comment. How's BF2042 running with a 3080 these days? There's plenty of games on PC that run like garbage. The best hardware in the world can't save a shit dev.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Another non 60fps xss game.
No shit though, it’s 1080p 60fps on the PS5 and Series X? They’d have to scale the resolution down to like 400-500p to get the S running at 60fps.

To be honest I’m pretty shocked that we’re already seeing games that force the bigger 2 to render at 1080p for 60fps. Shitty optimisation or are they already outdated?

Last edited:

Dampf

Just consider this: This game is running at worse performance targets than the UE5 Matrix demo which pushes 100 times the polygon count literally everywhere, leverages Hardware-RT to a much greater extent and also renders a much bigger open world with more stuff going on in it.

Yet, Dying Light 2 still manages to run at lower resolutions than that demo.

Next Gen games are going to be much more optimized.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Just consider this: This game is running at worse performance targets than the UE5 Matrix demo which pushes 100 times the polygon count literally everywhere, leverages Hardware-RT to a much greater extent and also renders a much bigger open world with more stuff going on in it.

Yet, Dying Light 2 still manages to run at lower resolutions than that demo.

Next Gen games are going to be much more optimized.
DL2 is still using the same engine from DL1 with some improvements. UE5 was built from the ground up with next generation in mind. Techland is a farely small studio so they probably chose to focus on content over optimization. They are currently working on a PS5/Xbox Series version of DL1 so I hope they are trying to implement low level API optimizations to it and hopefully they will get ported to DL2 (SSD low level API isn't being utilized ATM, 30s to load is too high).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Series S
- Single mode: 1080p 30fps not stable and a little more prone to screen-tearing.
- No ray tracing.
- It will be covered with last gen 30fps versions.

Series X / PS5
- Performance Mode: 1080p fixed with frame-rate targets - and doggedly locks - to 60 frames per second.
- Resolution Mode: 3200x1800 (PS5) / 3456x1944 (Series X) with fully locked 30fps in this mode, however, with only very, very minor dips beneath this with isolated effects (such as jumping into water).
- Quality Mode: 1080p, Ray-tracing and sticks unerringly to 30 frames per second.
- PS5 has additional shading on trees in Performance and Resolution modes.
- No mode is ideal well in their words:
The effects can be transformative then, but the trades to both resolution and performance are steep. It's hard to definitively say which mode is worth picking: I spent most of my play through on performance since 60fps matters most to me, but the ray-traced shadows and ambient occlusion are a genuine highlight on console.​
i loled. Whats up with additional features on PS5 but lower resolution, weirdddddd

S0ULZB0URNE

read again PS5 is sold as 4k console and most games doesn't run at 4k ...i never seen you blame it
All games on PS5 run at a 4K output if it's true or not doesn't change this fact.
xss has versions of some games that are 30 instead of 60 and 60 instead of 120.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
They say it's hardly noticeable side by side, but it exists.

"That's a 16.6 percent increase in pixel-count for Series X, just slightly beneath the compute differential between the two consoles' GPUs. It is an advantage for the Microsoft machine, but a limited one in practical terms - a touch of extra clarity is delivered, especially on transparent elements"

So if you've got both consoles then the touch of extra clarity it is.
A touch of extra clarity. We are here now.

Seems like a far cry from this

tB8hCjj.png

Elog

This is a turd from an optimisation point of view on all platforms but can look quite good on a PC if you brute force it with 2,000+ USD in GPU hardware.

Are you honestly discussing for pages who's turd has the best brown?

DeaDPo0L84

It's funny to me when console exclusive players can point out the obvious that it looks/performs best on PC cause "duh those are really expensive" yet can't connect the dots why it may not look/perform admirably on a $500 box and get upset that 1080p/30fps is the "quality" preset.

The answer is right in front of you...you're so close.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
It is kind of perplexing why the engine is able to comfortably push out over 5.7m pixels per frame (1800p30) but is not able to push out above 4.1m pixels per frame (1080p60).

Seems like some kind of bandwidth limitation.

Top Bottom