• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dying Light 2 (PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S)

Lognor

Banned
Neither console has the 8K functionality unlocked at this point. I take it that they both support it, but the firmware/OS isn't ready.
That makes it even funnier then! You hear that Mr Moose Mr Moose ? The PS5 does not have an 8k game.

And Mr Moose Mr Moose said well 8k is for media. Well then? PS5 cannot play 8k media either! Well well well!!

winjer

Gold Member

Alex jerking off to RTX for 35 minutes.
200_2.gif

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
It’s true that there is one game that renders internally at 8K. Nether system has 8K output for games yet.
So when the console is updated to display 8k that game will automatically display at 8k assuming you have the tv to support that resolution?

That's probably why there aren't more 8k games. Because at this point, why would you spend time and resources for an 8k resolution when neither console can display it? I would guess once 8k sets become more available and the updates are released we will see older games updated to 8k. But it will be just the most basic games. I googled it and it's Touryst that is at 8k on PS5 and that's a very basic game. That is about the extent of the graphics quality you will see at 8k.

DaGwaphics

So when the console is updated to display 8k that game will automatically display at 8k assuming you have the tv to support that resolution?

That's probably why there aren't more 8k games. Because at this point, why would you spend time and resources for an 8k resolution when neither console can display it? I would guess once 8k sets become more available and the updates are released we will see older games updated to 8k. But it will be just the most basic games. I googled it and it's Touryst that is at 8k on PS5 and that's a very basic game. That is about the extent of the graphics quality you will see at 8k.

I'm still going with the lack of 8k games being more about the fact that these consoles can hit 8k about as well as Heath Shuler could hit the broadside of a barn. It's 4x more demanding than 4k afterall.

As media playback devices, sure, they should handle that when 8k support is added.

Yes it’s true that a very basic game is running at 8K on the PS5. Only reason to do this without the system outputting 8K is to improve IQ. One of the things that super sampling does is ge rid of aliasing.

In theory once the PS5 gets patched for 8K the Touryst will display at that resolution. Same goes for the XSX when it receives an 8K update and has games that render at 8K.

They have to make eight versions of this game.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the Day 1 patch. If that doesn't change things, I'll be rather disappointed.
Although nowhere near as disappointed as I am about the removal of the grappling hook.
These disappointing releases NEVER get their resolutions increased in day 1 patches. This doomed to the 1080p trash heap for life on console. Yay

Because if it's false advertising for one... It's also false advertising for the other. One of them has a 8K game though, but neither is a false advertisement.
He was talking about the ps5 and you're acting like he's an Xbox fanboy because you have a "CWC", otherwise known as "console war complex". Dude, I'm sure if he feels the same wY about the Xbox. These companies both false advertise. One simple little indie game does not an 8k console make! That's what's called a technicality. You think this is the first time Sony or MS has falsely advertised. This industry is practically built off of twisting words around and using marketing jargon.

GymWolf

If those recommended settings from df are anything to go by, i could try 1440p with dlss then low for the 3 performance hog settings (AO,FOG,Reflections) and then try to add some rtx and hopefully maintain 60 frames with a 2070super, not optimistic about it...

Maybe i'm just gonna do 1800p dlss with everything on high and rtx off.

Last edited:
He thought Sony tvs can magically make every game 60fps lol. Its clear he doesn't understand what he's talking about most of the time. Leave him be
He's talking about black frame insertion, which has its own drawbacks and doesn't really feel like 60 fps to me, although def smoother than 30. But it has its own drawbacks like darkening the hell out of the image

rnlval

I'm so fuckin fed up with disappointing optimizations on these next gen consoles. 1080p man. I totally called this btw in the "next gen modes" thread because they were clearly hiding next gen footage.

The fact that loading times are so long on next gen is the only thing that could explain why they couldn't get 1440p workin at 60 fps. Nobody wants to have to settle for this on next gen consoles and its rediculous for AAA devs to think this is acceptable.

It may sound like I'm being dramatic but when the ps5 and Series X have been so heavily marketed as 4k powerhouses, and even "8k" machines (lol), then 1440p at 60 on a cross gen engine like dying light 2 should damn well be doable.
At consoles 60 Hz, the CPU has higher interaction with memory, hence it can reduce memory bandwidth for the GPU. Gaming PCs doesn't have this issue.

For PS4 example

8ZHTFGD.png

Nothing is free.

Cryio

9th gen consoles vs 8th gen consoles:
1. Storage vastly faster
2. CPU vastly faster
3. GPUs a bit over twice faster.

At the same time, people want:
1. TWICE the framerate (there goes your twice increase in GPU power)
2. Consistently higher resolution, preferably 4K
3. Better visuals overall
4. AND RAY TRACING ON TOP

It was never going to be achievable.

Midn1ght

9th gen consoles vs 8th gen consoles:
1. Storage vastly faster
2. CPU vastly faster
3. GPUs a bit over twice faster.

At the same time, people want:
1. TWICE the framerate (there goes your twice increase in GPU power)
2. Consistently higher resolution, preferably 4K
3. Better visuals overall
4. AND RAY TRACING ON TOP

It was never going to be achievable.
Insomniac spoiled everyone with their sorcery.

PC version with RTGI looks amazing but very demanding, still a generation too early for 4K/60 with RT.
Can't wait to see games running on Nvidia 4000 when they come out.

Mr Moose

He was talking about the ps5 and you're acting like he's an Xbox fanboy because you have a "CWC", otherwise known as "console war complex". Dude, I'm sure if he feels the same wY about the Xbox. These companies both false advertise. One simple little indie game does not an 8k console make! That's what's called a technicality. You think this is the first time Sony or MS has falsely advertised. This industry is practically built off of twisting words around and using marketing jargon.
He is an Xbox fanboy. Check their post history.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Damn another benchmark game proving these GPUs might not have been ready for how fast devs were going to be moving forward with their tech.
bsivXRT.jpg

They really did don goofed with the console version going with RTSh + RTAO when they could have used RTGI + RTAO and had a dramatically better looking game in the RT mode for basically the same cost.

winjer

Gold Member
At consoles 60 Hz, the CPU has higher interaction with memory, hence it can reduce memory bandwidth for the GPU. Gaming PCs doesn't have this issue.

For PS4 example

8ZHTFGD.png

Nothing is free.

Didn't know that. Why does that happen?
Some memory contention issue because of simultaneous access between the CPU and GPU?

BTW, do you have that whole pdf, explaining more of this? If so, can you share it?

ethomaz

Banned
Yes.
That exactly why the dev made a 8k render… he said you won’t need to update the game when Sony release the 8k output option… it will already output in 8k.

SolidQ

could have used RTGI + RTAO
2nd itteration of RT in Metro Exodus looks much better, than 1st itteration and Dying light, both too dark with single bounce, while Metro EE have infinity bounces and work 60 fps consoles with higher resolution. Aslo RTGI DL2 doesn''t present in consoles. RTAO on grass looks like videocard broken with textures, so ugly :messenger_tears_of_joy: Need much better graphic for RTAO, not ps3 level

Black_Stride

ofDLsG8.jpeg

in what dimension lighting physics behave this way on sunny day as on scene with rtgi ? :d

What you are looking at is Black Crush.
Turn up the gamma slightly in your game to suit your monitor.

Might also just be how he recorded the video.
But that area shouldnt be pitch black, when you are actually playing it wont be pitch black.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

What you are looking at is Black Crush.
Turn up the gamma slightly in your game to suit your monitor.

Might also just be how he recorded the video.
But that area shouldnt be pitch black, when you are actually playing it wont be pitch black.
nah imo its some rgti impementation problem in this game, maybe they used some performance optimisation and thats why is so off

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ofDLsG8.jpeg

in what dimension lighting physics behave this way on sunny day as on scene with rtgi ? :d

I know RTGI should look more 'realistic' but from a game playing point of view I have to imagine the left one is better, the right one is very dark and very difficult to see half the screen.

sncvsrtoip

Did you turn the gamma up in the game?
I only saw this df comparison screens/video but it looks like rtgi in metro exodus standard edition and then in metro exodus enhenced etition when they have proper implementation it looked dramaticaly different

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I only saw this df comparison screens/video but it looks like rtgi in metro exodus standard edition and then in metro exodus enhenced etition when they have proper implementation it looked dramaticaly different

What does it actually look like in game when you find a shadowy area?

Black_Stride

Im not into this game and don't have plan to buy it so cant say ;d just saw this df comparison and imo something off with rtgi implementation

It probably is just Black Crush.
Even in Metro EE there are scenes which I will downsample then screenshot and the occluded areas end up looking crushed beyond what I actually see when im actually playing.

Probably wait for the article to see direct feed screenshots.

The right pics looks more natural.
The right is more correct, but something must be off with the Gamma in the game or with Alexs video cuz it shouldnt be pitch black.

Three

nah its impossible it would be so dark in sunny day
Game was probably made with no RTGI. RTGI is likely single bounce and doesn't match real life well. If it were made with RTGI in mind there are tricks to brighten it and make it look a little more natural.

Last edited:

Three

The right side's got a ton of black crush going on that's for sure.
It's not so much black crush. It's more tacked on RTGI and not a good implementation of it. Metro exodus non enhanced edition suffered from the same darkness compared to raytracing off then it got recursive bounced diffuse RTGI in the enhanced edition

Timestamp to the explanation:

Last edited:
Top Bottom