• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dying Light 2 (PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S)

Huh. Another one for the XSX…and another disappointment for the XSS. The resolution gap matches the raw power gap, so… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Disappointed that VRR mode didn’t pan out.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The VRR mode was something announced or just rumors?

It was in some weirdly worded PR blurb. They didn't outright say 120hz, but 60 fps + with VRR.

For those who, as you, appreciate smooth gameplay, we have prepared the Performance mode, which focuses on a high frame-rate (60FPS + optionally with VRR), making the experience of fast gameplay elements such as a course or combat even more smooth.

ethomaz

Banned
It was in some weirdly worded PR blurb. They didn't outright say 120hz, but 60 fps + with VRR.

I understand…
In any case the 60fps mode seems solid enough to not even fire up VRR so we will never know if it is implemented or not.

He never said 120Hz or 120fps but the article title lol

Last edited:

Elog

in what dimension lighting physics behave this way on sunny day as on scene with rtgi ? :d
The problem is that they are not compensating for how your eye perceives things. Your eye+brain will adjust light sensitivity locally based on what you are looking at in real life and hence it will never be that dark. If you just throw global illumination on something in graphics either the light areas will be too bright or the dark areas too dark compared to how you it would look to you in reality. You need to adjust things much more than what they have done to get it right.

Just one more aspect of this game hinting how unoptimized it is (and unfinished). I believe they have basically just turned global illumination on and gone home (slight exaggeration but I think you understand what I mean).

ethomaz

Banned
The problem is that they are not compensating for how your eye perceives things. Your eye+brain will adjust light sensitivity locally based on what you are looking at in real life and hence it will never be that dark. If you just throw global illumination on something in graphics either the light areas will be too bright or the dark areas too dark compared to how you it would look to you in reality. You need to adjust things much more than what they have done to get it right.

Just one more aspect of this game hinting how unoptimized it is (and unfinished). I believe they have basically just turned global illumination on and gone home (slight exaggeration but I think you understand what I mean).
That makes sense.
Actually real life is dark when in building shadows with the sun to the opposite side... you can see it when you left a place more without sun light to outside... that is when your eyes start to make the environment more clear until it becomes very light.

You can see that when you take photos... they usually get darker than what you see after your eyes adapt to the light.
Same when you are in a beach with white sand... you take a picture and it looks too shinning like what you see when you enter in that area but after some time your eyes start to see it more "normal" or "less shinning" and become different from the picture.
Dark room too... if you take a picture it is everything dark and you can't see nothing in the picture (without flash of course lol) but when you are there after some minutes your eyes adapt and start to see everything.

That makes me think I should compare more with what a picture looks and not how I see with my adapted eyes :unsure:

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
That’s weird. It reminds me of what happens with loads with non native games on PS5. Did they even use Kraken?

These devs are completely behind the curve, loading times make no sense in any of the versions.

Huh. Another one for the XSX…and another disappointment for the XSS. The resolution gap matches the raw power gap, so… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Disappointed that VRR mode didn’t pan out.

Once again XSS shows it's not just resolution but framerate that goes missing, which directly affects gameplay.

MikeM

9th gen consoles vs 8th gen consoles:
1. Storage vastly faster
2. CPU vastly faster
3. GPUs a bit over twice faster.

At the same time, people want:
1. TWICE the framerate (there goes your twice increase in GPU power)
2. Consistently higher resolution, preferably 4K
3. Better visuals overall
4. AND RAY TRACING ON TOP

It was never going to be achievable.
People need to understand that consoles can’t do everything. Some games will be compromised. If they want it all, buy a rtx 3080 Pc. But a $499 box can only do so much.

Garbage loading times on PS5 and only 1080p in performance mode. No thanks especially not full price when Horizon Forbidden West is just arround the corner.

Its pretty unacceptable that they didn’t use the PS5’s IO properly.

Shmunter

Just watched the PC vid. Correction, watched 1/3 of it then had to stop.

I always considered hating on Alex essentially almost a meme, but man this guy really grates my gears in his presentations. A machine gun of facts with hardly any emotion or pizzas like with the other guys, even Tom. I don’t hate him for it obviously, that’s ridiculous…but I just can’t jive with the style. Which is interesting because he’s so much more chill in the DF chit chat vids.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think framerate seems consistent, and textures and polygon counts, pop in, dont seem too bad. That blur though, its pretty rough imo.

The LOD transitions are the most noticeable negative to me here, but I'd say RE8 is worse in that regard. Does seem playable, so that's a big plus for X1 owners.

For all the negative things that get said about this one, the environments look interesting. I've never played DL, I'll have to give it a look.

ckaneo

The first game seems to be near universally loved, and this just hit 204k ingame only on Steam at unsociable hours. Its almost certainly going to be in the Top 10 sellers for the year.
Plenty do care about the game i think.
I meant this 10 page thread. The game has a good audience

Stuart360

I meant this 10 page thread. The game has a good audience
No i know you did, i wasnt trying to be sarcastic. I just mean the first DL was very well loved, including on here, so yeah i'm sure plenty of people do care on here.

I agree with your point though, we also get 10 page 'vs' threads for some pretty obscure games at times, and the threads are just 90% console warring.

Stuart360

The LOD transitions are the most noticeable negative to me here, but I'd say RE8 is worse in that regard. Does seem playable, so that's a big plus for X1 owners.

For all the negative things that get said about this one, the environments look interesting. I've never played DL, I'll have to give it a look.
Yeah i mean to be honest i expected the framerate to be all over the place, and it seems pretty damn stable. The blur caught me off guard though.

dcmk7

Banned
Not had any time to look at these comparisons but from skimming a few posts on here - is the game better on X1X than the XSS? Since the same FPS but at a better resolution? Or are the two versions very different?

Riky

$MSFT
Looks sub-720p on OG machines, surprised it isn't.

Looks very blurry but at least the framerate seems solid on everything once out the starting area.

Seems like Series Consoles and PS5 run at high PC settings, X1X and Pro at medium and X1S and PS4 at low.

I would very much like to play this game on my Xbox Series X but the game will not even install. I've tried installing it from the disc about 4 or 5 times now to the internal storage and it just starts and then keeps stopping for no reason. There's no error or anything, it just will not install. I have more than 110 GB free on the internal storage and even moved some games from the drive in case it was that. As a last resort, I restarted and even shut down the console and turned it back on. Still keeps stalling on the install. I don't think it's the disc as it looks fine and I would have got an error if it could not read it.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

winjer

Gold Member
Looks sub-720p on OG machines, surprised it isn't.

It's 860p. But with such a terrible implementation of TAA, it looks much blurrier.
If Techland had a solution similar to Epic's TAAU, those 860p would look much like a 1080p game. Much sharper and cleaner.

Last edited:
Just watched the PC vid. Correction, watched 1/3 of it then had to stop.

I always considered hating on Alex essentially almost a meme, but man this guy really grates my gears in his presentations. A machine gun of facts with hardly any emotion or pizzas like with the other guys, even Tom. I don’t hate him for it obviously, that’s ridiculous…but I just can’t jive with the style. Which is interesting because he’s so much more chill in the DF chit chat vids.

Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. He's thorough and presents all the facts but I find many of his videos a bit of chore to watch and, dare I say it, boring even though I love all things technical about games. I think John Linnerman is much better at presenting technical videos; he presents them better and he is interesting to listen to. Alex gets the job done but he's no John Linnerman and his obsession with ray-tracing can sometimes be a bit wearing at times. I mean ray-tracing is a nice if expensive effect to have for sure but it doesn't turn a graphically okay game like Dying Light 2 into a 'graphical juggernaut' in my opinion. That's just hyperbole in my humble view. He does come across as a bit of a PC elitist really.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
dj khaled dancing GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Sosokrates

Sub 900p on base machines, 1080p on Pro and X1X, all at 30fps.
X1X the most stable with no tearing or drops.

The seriesS is obviously caperble of doing xbox one res + settings at 60fps.

The devs must of not had time and treated the seriesS like a little runt.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I would very much like to play this game on my Xbox Series X but the game will not even install. I've tried installing it from the disc about 4 or 5 times now to the internal storage and it just starts and then keeps stopping for no reason. There's no error or anything, it just will not install. I have more than 110 GB free on the internal storage and even moved some games from the drive in case it was that. As a last resort, I restarted and even shut down the console and turned it back on. Still keeps stalling on the install. I don't think it's the disc as it looks fine and I would have got an error if it could not read it.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
If you use the xbox app you could que it up from the net and see if it installs that way.

Riky

$MSFT
The seriesS is obviously caperble of doing xbox one res + settings at 60fps.

The devs must of not had time and treated the seriesS like a little runt.

I've just managed to try the Series S and One X versions, they are almost identical, looks like settings for shadows etc may be a touch higher on Series S.
Resolution and framerate seem identical, big difference is loading where Series S wins easily and Quick resume which helps a lot as the initial load is long on One X.
I'm not finding the 30fps that bad when I thought I would, I might stick with Resolution mode on Series X as I move between machines and it will make it consistent for me.

Sosokrates

I've just managed to try the Series S and One X versions, they are almost identical, looks like settings for shadows etc may be a touch higher on Series S.
Resolution and framerate seem identical, big difference is loading where Series S wins easily and Quick resume which helps a lot as the initial load is long on One X.
I'm not finding the 30fps that bad when I thought I would, I might stick with Resolution mode on Series X as I move between machines and it will make it consistent for me.

30fps may not be that bad, but its really under utilising the hardware by not including a 60fps mode.

Top Bottom