• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Far Cry 5's 60fps Upgrade Impresses! PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Last-Gen Consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Ubisoft has done it again with another patch for one of its last-gen juggernauts. Far Cry 5 is a seriously worthy series entry and Ubisoft has revisited the old code and made it 'current-gen' aware. The end result is a 60fps target for PS5 and Xbox Series machines, while retaining the same resolution targets (for PS5 and X at least) as the existing versions of the game. Also of interest: the PS4 Pro codepath has actually improved since we first looked at it...

00:00 Overview
01:00 Visual features
02:33 Performance
05:26 Image quality differences
08:33 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Summary:

- Not a full native version, it is an enhanced BC patch.

- DF talk about how the game still holds up well visually and in terms of features while pointing out some last-gen aspects that stand out now.

- Series X: Very hard to drop from 60 FPS. Single frame drops in some combat areas.

- Series S is shows none of the one-off drops seen on Series X.

- PS5 is the same with no observable drops seen.

- DF encountered one bug where the game performance on SX started fluctuating wildly with nothing happening, but it resolved itself in a few seconds.

- SX and PS5 have very similar image quality with what looks like a new temporal up-sampling method added with this patch. They both resolve very cleanly. Series S looks notably sharper than its One S counterpart.

- They both run the same pixel counts as One X / PS4 Pro resolutions, while Series S has had a resolution increase over the One S code-base.

- SX: 2160p, PS5: 1620p, SS: Full 1080p (increase over One S's 1440x1080)

- DF talk about the old FPS boost patch, which is redundant now. The new enhanced BC patch smooths out any one-off drops int he FPS boost patch.

Last edited:
Summary:

- Not a full native version, it is an enhanced BC patch.

- DF talk about how the game still holds up well visually and in terms of features while pointing out some last-gen aspects that stand out now.

- Series X: Very hard to drop from 60 FPS. Single frame drops in some combat areas.

- Series S is shows none of the one-off drops seen on Series X.

- PS5 is the same with no observable drops seen.

- DF encountered one bug where the game performance on SX started fluctuating wildly with nothing happening, but it resolved itself in a few seconds.

- SX and PS5 have very similar image quality with what looks like a new temporal sharpening method added with this patch.

- They both run the same pixel counts as One X / PS4 Pro resolutions, while Series S has had a resolution increase over the One S code-base.

- SX: 2160p, PS5: 1620p, SS: Full 1080p (increase over One S's 1440x1080)

- DF talk about the old FPS boost patch, which is redundant now. The new enhanced BC patch smooths out any one-off drops int he FPS boost patch.
Temporal upsampling for the PS5 (well Pro) version. It's not a sharpening filter. It seems some kind of reconstruction technique. I guess we'll know more with others analysis (if anyone else does one). Visually it's really close to the XSX version so it seems the technique is quite good.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Worth noting the game is on both Game Pass and PS+ and the game's Vietnam themed Hours of Darkness DLC is currently free for game pass members as a perk.

So, give it a shot. I quite enjoyed this game last time I played it.

Roberts

So, give it a shot. I quite enjoyed this game last time I played it.

I think the world and the map are better than part 4. Never finished 6, because by the time I got to it, I was tired of the formula. So, I guess it's the best Farcy since 3. I just wish it had more guts politically - tips its toes into the waters but never does anything interesting with it.

Mr Hyde

Played the introduction of the game and it looks and runs very good. Gonna finish this up later because I have no time to spare right now for a Ubi marathon open world.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I've put in over 20 hours on the patch on series x.

Findings of my own.
Game still tanks framerate hard but very occasionally.

Some textures are ps2 level

If you lose internet connectivity (such as using quick resume) the game runs single framerate until it reconnects

Had a weird bug where upon entering a cutscene the game reverted back to 30 fps and stayed that way until I hard quit and relaunched the game

MASSIVE LOD pop in is very distracting

Still loving it though.

Kilau

Glad I waited, just couldn’t handle the 30fps or blurry mess with old boost.

Just got FC6 Ultimate for $10 on Xbox though, I feel bloated.

The biggest feature this update enhances is the map editor. I already made a little Far Cry 2 styled demo in a few hours. Everything is just so much smoother while building levels now which in turn makes building levels faster.

sendit

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Top Bottom