• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade: PS5 vs PS4 Pro - A Brilliant Next-Gen Upgrade!

Lethal01

My apologies for talking a different type of tech in a DF thread but the idea of spending resources for iframes is borderline anathema, lol.

Totally disagree, I'm tired of every game making it that your dodge makes you literally untouchable, I want some games to make the dodge an actual dodge that is made for you to reposition yourself instead of just disappearing at the right time.

I think making that a specific ability for a specific character is the perfect way to handle it.

Also tons of games make you spend resources for a dodge in general so I don't see how this is worse.

Why is the voice acting so bad?

There is an in-game fix for that, just go in the options and set the voice language to Japanese.
Re dubbing always leads to worse results than having the whole game built around the script and performance.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Um, not that PS+ is free but you get the game for a very very low price of around $5. It makes sense on their part from a business stand point, I would say that the PS+ version is almost like a free sample or advertising to get anyone on the fence into the series and if you liked it and really want the upgrade then you've got to pay full price.

That's BS and you know it. If you're going to offer the game on PS Plus, offer the full game, not the gimped version.

Totally disagree, I'm tired of every game making it that your dodge makes you literally untouchable, I want some games to make the dodge an actual dodge that is made for you to reposition yourself instead of just disappearing at the right time.

I think making that a specific ability for a specific character is the perfect way to handle it.

Also tons of games make you spend resources for a dodge in general so I don't see how this is worse.
Doesn't Witcher 3 sort of do that with its dodge having no iframes IIRC?

Which other games cost resources for dodging??? I'm asking cause I don't have any off the top of my head. Edit: I'm guessing you're thinking of stamina bars?

Also, my bad, I'm not saying it's worse in Intergrade, it probably fits the gameplay design they want. I specifically worded it as "borderline anathema" because it's just what I'm used to.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Doesn't Witcher 3 sort of do that with its dodge having no iframes IIRC?

Which other games cost resources for dodging??? I'm asking cause I don't have any off the top of my head.

Also, my bad, I'm not saying it's worse in Intergrade, it probably fits the gameplay design they want. I specifically worded it as "borderline anathema" because it's just what I'm used to.

Witcher 3 may very well do that, I'm not saying that FF7 is the only game the does this, that would be silly. I'm just saying that these days dodging making you invincible is more common.

Dark souls, Sekiro and Nioh are the big ones I can think of. If you hate it in those games too then fine I get it, just seems weird to single this one out especially when there is a free dodge that costs nothing.

This game is actually far more lenient and a successful dodge actually gives you back like 4x the ATB you spent on it.

Witcher 3 may very well do that, I'm not saying that FF7 is the only game the does this, that would be silly. I'm just saying that these days dodging making you invincible is more common.

Dark souls, Sekiro and Nioh are the big ones I can think of. If you hate it in those games too then fine I get it, just seems weird to single this one out especially when there is a free dodge that costs nothing.

This game is actually far more lenient and a successful dodge actually gives you back like 4x the ATB you spent on it.
Me bringing up W3 was in relation to you mentioning wanting to see dodging as a pure positioning tool.

OK like I later thought, you were indeed thinking of stamina bars. Nothing wrong with that, I just wasn't equating ATB with stamina bars initially when I read the root comment.

I'm fine with the Souls/Nioh games and all. Didn't even mind DS2 with its ADP stat. Then again I almost always block, lol.

So I'm guessing the "free dodge" you mentioned has no iframes at all??

Lethal01

So I'm guessing the "free dodge" you mentioned has no iframes at all??

Nope, it's a dash that moves you out of the way.

I'm really just curious what about FF7 would make soo unacceptable than something like darks souls that cost a resource that's just as important if you want invincibility frames.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
tenor.gif
This had me laughing like crazy lol good one!

Nope, it's a dash that moves you out of the way.

I'm really just curious what about FF7 would make soo unacceptable than something like darks souls that cost a resource that's just as important if you want invincibility frames.
Ah okay, pure positioning then.

And dude, sorry to have you engage with me in a mini conversation that's off topic (and if there's some penalty it should be all on me) but believe me when I say I'm not 'docking points' for that specific mechanic. "Borderline anathema" was just a colourful figure of speech for something that I'm not used to seeing very often.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

That's BS and you know it. If you're going to offer the game on PS Plus, offer the full game, not the gimped version.
I think the Yuffie expansion could have been buyable from the PS+ version. But the upgraded PS5 version probably did cost some development hours, and PS+ price isn't really covering those hours. It would be weird to charge for the upgrade of those how payed full price however so they made it free to them. The situation is a bit weird but it could also have been the case that it wasn't offered on PS+ at all. It's like you are angry for getting a great game for peanuts but now you are angry that you aren't getting the full experience as those who payed full price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks very nice graphically but I have a question... I NEVER PLAYED ANY FF GAME.
I mean I did played tiny bit of ff7 and ff8 back in the day but I was too young and more into pc games then... and these games looked like crap. I think I still don't like the jrpg turn based, random world encounter games.
I also remember being super impressed with 13 trailers back when I had 360 but never played it.

Should I try it? or 15? or maybe first 13 on pc? These are the main, not ancient ones right?
I coul get ff7 for ps5 since it now got some Dual sense support and 60fps mode. Are the changes also in pc version ?

Last edited:
Looks very nice graphically but I have a question... I NEVER PLAYED ANY FF GAME.
I mean I did played tiny bit of ff7 and ff8 back in the day but I was too young and more into pc games then... and these games looked like crap. I think I still don't like the jrpg turn based, random world encounter games.
I also remember being super impressed with 13 trailers back when I had 360 but never played it.

Should I try it? or 15? or maybe first 13 on pc? These are the main, not ancient ones right?
I coul get ff7 for ps5 since it now got some Dual sense support and 60fps mode. Are the changes also in pc version ?

I haven't played it yet but modern FF games are very different than the ones on the PSX. For example they are not turn based anymore.

As for the visuals you can look at them and decide for yourself. But technically they are very good.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I almost regret already getting the plat on PS4Pro lol, loved the Yuffie DLC though, (it should have been made available on PS4 too). Can't wait for part 2, FFVIIR was my overall GOTY of 2020, they absolutely knocked it out of the park.

JeloSWE

It's hard to go wrong with FF7R on PS5 at 60fps, I LOVE it. Not only one of my favorite FF games but also one of my all time favorite games.

If it turns out you like FF then if you have time over then perhaps you could try FF13, it's very stylish, has great music and cool locations, I liked it but it has a lore with convoluted naming schemes and most of it is dumped in the text log rather than being told up front. The game also takes a while to open up all the battle roles and strategic combinations.

SilentUser

As of now, there is no Final Fantasy VII Remake on PC, but it shouldn't take long to arrive I think.

As a big Final Fantasy fan from the old days, I disliked FFXIII and FFXV. They are not very good for different reasons. As for FFVIIR, I'm playing the PS5 version on Performance Mode and absolutely loving every second. The graphics are pretty, the Dualsense support is very good (oh that rumble S2), the soundtrack is marvelous and the audio in general is great (love playing with surround sound system). Don't know about your taste, though. Do you like japanese games? FFVIIR is a very obviously japanese game, so that's up to your taste.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As of now, there is no Final Fantasy VII Remake on PC, but it shouldn't take long to arrive I think.

As a big Final Fantasy fan from the old days, I disliked FFXIII and FFXV. They are not very good for different reasons. As for FFVIIR, I'm playing the PS5 version on Performance Mode and absolutely loving every second. The graphics are pretty, the Dualsense support is very good (oh that rumble S2), the soundtrack is marvelous and the audio in general is great (love playing with surround sound system). Don't know about your taste, though. Do you like japanese games? FFVIIR is a very obviously japanese game, so that's up to your taste.
I totally thought it is available on steam haha.
Not sure I like these Japanese rpg.. I never gave the genre much of a chance. Played some Lost odyssey back in the day but it also didn't grab me.
XIII looks to be way more old style compared to Remake and XV.
And on the outside, XV and 7Remake look very similar. Both are real time and seem more action oriented. What am I missing ? I've seen comments that XV is a lot of.. nothing

Last edited:

SilentUser

I totally thought it is available on steam haha.
Not sure I like these Japanese rpg.. I never gave the genre much of a chance. Played some Lost odyssey back in the day but it also didn't grab me.
XIII looks to be way more old style compared to Remake and XV.
And on the outside, XV and 7Remake look very similar. Both are real time and seem more action oriented. What am I missing ? I've seen comments that XV is a lot of.. nothing
One of the things I like the most about the old school Final Fantasy is the diversified characters. In FFXV, you are stuck with the same 4 characters and, imo, they are incredibly bland in terms of design, gameplay and personality, while FFVIIR gives you more options and they are basically iconic (Aerith ftw :messenger_smiling_hearts:). I find the story o 7 much, much more interesting. Graphics are superior, much more stylized and colorful when compared to FFXV. FFXV tries to create a more realistic world and it falls flat, being bland (as the characters) and somewhat boring, while FFVIIR is more of cartoonish, anime-ish, I think.

Lethal01

The problem you listed for not liking JRPGS don't apply to 7 remake at all. And not having played one is totally irrelevant. It's like if you haven't played a Mario game, no reason not to jump in. The only thing reminiscent to the old systems is that in this game you control up to 3 people at once and need to switch between them constantly so they can all use their abilities, when you aren't controlling them they mostly just block, this harkens back slightly to turn based games but in the end it's still an action rpg first. You can also slow things down at will.

I wouldn't recommend 13, I think the combat is actually great when you raise the difficulty and don't over level. It's a prime candidate if you are specifically looking to change your mind about "turn based games" (It's actually real-time but there is a timer on issueing commands) but it's linear in a bad way and the story is weak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom