• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Forspoken analysis; hint: it sucks

Kilau

Late 90s is indeed hyperbolic.
high quality GIF

9t50WaF.jpg

58th in the Steam Charts in its launch week, it does look like Forspoken has been the first great gaming casualty of this gen. Never nice to see a financial disaster on this scale.
I hope these kind of flops send a message to companies though that they can't get away with not living up to the hype they created with fake gameplay trailers aka "downgrades".
B4 Rofif comes in yes I know it can look nice at some points but it still largely is way off the mark.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
And still only took 6 years in development. Versus 13 took a decade without switching engines. They realized the problem with KH and made the switch. Meanwhile Luminous released 15 and went “this is fine. Can we make a new game with the same engine?” And Square retardedly went “yep!!”
Haven’t followed Luminous’s internal workings very closely but I thought I read that Forespoken was intended to make use of some left over assets that never made it into FF XV.

Anyway what a fucking turd. Just think of all the effort and opportunity cost that went into making this terrible in-house engine just to use it for 2 games, then switch to the vastly superior 3rd party alternative.

Ozriel

M$FT
This is what I have been saying. I have played the game on both PC and PS5 and i haven't seen it look or running anywhere near as bad as some of these screens people are posting and I only have a 3080.

DF makes a video saying the game looks mediocre on PCs with GPUs with less than 8GB VRAM.
and then you say it looks fine on your 10GB VRAM 3080.

I’m not sure you’re making the right comparison here.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope these kind of flops send a message to companies though that they can't get away with not living up to the hype they created with fake gameplay trailers aka "downgrades".
B4 Rofif comes in yes I know it can look nice at some points but it still largely is way off the mark.
I hope they also get the message that people don’t want nonstop yapping , Marvel style witty one-liners, and cringe gen-z “relatable” protagonists.

Denton

This is one of the trashiest AAA games released in years.

Technically, it is a dumpster fire. Looks like trash and runs like trash on all platforms, half the options in PC version do not work.

Narratively, it is a dumpster fire, with one of the most unlikable protags in years and cringe writing galore.

Design-wise, it is a dumpster fire, with generic bland boring ass world, generic missions, generic enemies, generic combat, idiotic stopping of even being able to move when fucking talking bracelet starts yammering.

Just....fuck this game. Everyone who buys it deserves to get fleeced of their money as a punishment for their stupidity.

If Direct Storage is already that fast without GPU decompression, I can't wait to see the kind of performance we get with it.
I was kinda meh on Direct Storage but maybe it's actually quite the bomb.
We saw in Dead Space that Xbox was alot quicker in load times than the PS5, which should not be the case when comparing raw speed, so maybe Direct Storage is playing a role?

Mister Wolf

We saw in Dead Space that Xbox was alot quicker in load times than the PS5, which should not be the case when comparing raw speed, so maybe Direct Storage is playing a role?

Naw they would have mentioned it. Its likely Xbox and PC were the primary focus while developing.

Patrick S.

Banned
This is not terrible graphics. cmon now. I am just trying to be fair here.
No offense taken. I just like the game. Especially the movement in the open world and graphics.
I can understand people don't like these characters or story but gameplay and graphics are quite solid imo
kqGYl61.jpg

TVKGnFe.jpg

3RR7s1A.jpg

nfWMQIL.jpg

And it's not even showing the fantastic HDR. This is how it looks with HDR.... now clearly... .this is not TERRIBLE GRAPHICS.
zjVRUhm.jpg

WCxaB0s.jpg
Hi, Phanteks Evolv X gang!

Barakov

Gold Member

• Ray traced Ambient Occlusion is broken on PC and PS5. Only randomly works during certain cutscenes
  • Shadow quality overall is poor with most using shadow maps. Even with RT shadows, only a small portion of shadows are ray traced
  • Some of the most lackluster RT out there
  • RT shadows have a 20% impact on performance for little visual payoff
  • Large impact on VRAM, 500MB for each RT effect
  • Does not recommend turning on RT for mid-range hardware or lower
  • FSR has multiple issues with ghosting, transparency effects dithering, and disocclusion during movement
  • DLSS is overall better but still has issues where shiny surfaces sparkle during movement with motion blur on
  • XeSS has a big problem when DOF is enabled, it flickers massively
  • TAA exhibits ghosting problems as well
  • Every image reconstruction is poor overall but DLSS is still superior to FSR
  • DRS causes more problems than it solves, introduces massive frame time variances to the point of being unplayable
  • VRS doesn't appear to be working at all. There is no visual or performance difference
  • DirectStorage is one of the few bright spots, with a capable CPU (12900K) and 3.5GB/s nvme, the PC version can load slightly faster than a PS5
  • More modest CPUs such as the 3600 are still slower than the PS5 with a 3.5GB/s nvme but still much faster with DirectStorage
  • Does not appear to use GPU decompression
  • Textures management is peculiar. 8GB GPUs or less will always load poor quality textures no matter what happens
  • Does not recommend even playing this game on 8GB GPUs because the textures look like they're from the late 90s
  • Does not matter what texture setting you choose, you can even disable ray tracing and it's the same
  • No optimized settings for 8GB GPUs because the game looks so bad already, he cannot recommend lowering settings
  • Lowering clouds, disabling RT, and lowering SSR can save performance
  • Has encountered a bugs such as crashes and LODs not loading
  • Every time he moves the camera with a mid-range rig, there are noticeable frame rate drops
  • The game is almost as demanding as Cyberpunk with DLSS performance with settings maxed out
  • Pretty bad port overall

Definitely a contender for a worst game of the year, on several different fronts.

Go_Ly_Dow

This doesn't bodes well for FFXVI.
As mentioned above, different teams, different engine, different budgets and also Forspoken looked consistently worse from old footage to new, whilst XVI has looked consistently better with each bit of new footage since the reveal. Pretty much every mainline FF, even XV which was developed by Luminous at least technically looks and performs well.

When Genshin Impact has more memorable character and story, better dialog and way more beautiful world (outside of it's graphics) then you know you have a shit in your hand. I like Genshin skills and their combination/synergies and i though this game will be like it with better production. But no, it's a boring 3rd person shooter just with flashy particles. Can one fucking Developer make a game where when someone uses different magic skills they can interact with each other or is it so difficult?

There are huge draw distances, very detailed assets, volumetric fog system, dynamic cloud shadows and so on. Not to mention particle effects.
But all in all yeah - it should run faster. Cannot disagree here. I still took 100 screenshots in my first 10 hours so far :p
Ghost of Tsushima has big draw distance and it's gorgeous unlike this open world dessert.

Naw they would have mentioned it. Its likely Xbox and PC were the primary focus while developing.
For the xbox to outperform, or even match the PS5 in load times, it shouldnt be possible from a raw hardware speed point of view. Something else the Xbox is doing is allowing it to match the PS5s load times. My assumption is that maybe Direct Storage is playing a role. It's an assumption as I'm not educated enough on how DS works compared to whatever system the PS5 is using.

Mr Moose

They need to use Kraken stuff to get the most out of the PS5.

as i said before:

Luminous was Shit since its inception.

"Luminous Studios" gimme a break, more like:

we spent so much time and money for outdated engine that only the core team could make something out of it.
It amazes me square didn't learn their lesson with ff13 and the crystal tools shit. They did sell two spin offs that were kinda copy and paste though.

Kenpachii

This is what I have been saying. I have played the game on both PC and PS5 and i haven't seen it look or running anywhere near as bad as some of these screens people are posting and I only have a 3080.

Same here 10gb on the 3080 seems to work well for this title. Textures even on ultra are fine.

Top Bottom