• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Ghostwire: Tokyo - Xbox Tech Review - No Improvement on PS5, Worse on Xbox Series X/S

feynoob

Banned
Once again Tango is not the seller. Microsoft is. Tango is just doing what they are told. And they have been told to put the port on Gamepass at a precise date. This is my supposition of course. Unless they really are independent and could have not made the port at all? But that would surprise me. Maybe Bethesda wanted it out and they are the one to blame here?
Tango makes the game, not MS.
MS purchased after the game was in full development.

This all on tango, who should have fixed the game. This is their product.

Shouldn't you be pissed off as a consumer then?
Why should we give excuse to these people.
I understand business. The same team that did this port did HiFi Rush. Without knowing the technical details is it more worthwhile to spend tons to get slightly better performance on Xbox over PS5 to win a forum comparison battle or focus on new titles? Is this year old title really going to sway public opinion on Xbox? Are the technical differences significant enough to be meaningful? Not the best look but I think this team should be judged by the titles they make going forward not their PlayStation ports. Again it's not like HiFi Rush doesn't exist and that didn't exactly give Xbox much positive PR either.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I understand business. The same team that did this port did HiFi Rush. Without knowing the technical details is it more worthwhile to spend tons to get slightly better performance on Xbox over PS5 to win a forum comparison battle or focus on new titles? Is this year old title really going to away public opinion on Xbox? Are the technical differences significant enough to be meaningful? Not the best look but I think this team should be judged by the titles they make going forward not their PlayStation ports. Again it's not like HiFi Rush doesn't exist and that didn't exactly give Xbox much positive PR either.
No one cares about frame title or not game shit.

This is a product people spent money, which tango made. They deserve a fix.
There is no need to defend this shit man.

Do you really want consumers to get bad products, because X dev/Company is busy making a new game?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Tango makes the game, not MS.
MS purchased after the game was in full development.

This all on tango, who should have fixed the game. This is their product.
Tango is under Microsoft management since what? 2020? How can you refuse to put any blame on them? Tango failed, yes. But it is still not their responsibility.
Do you really want consumers to get bad products, because X dev/Company is busy making a new game?
Nobody wants that. But those in charge are the one that make those decisions. Here Tango could have been given more time or more help to do a good job. Do you believe that Microsoft did not know the state of the port before it was out?

No one cares about frame title or not game shit.

This is a product people spent money, which tango made. They deserve a fix.
There is no need to defend this shit man.

It is the reality of the world we live. I don't think the differences are significant enough to warrant a overhaul. I think the claims are exaggerated to push up the console war angle. If you weren't watching the comparison videos most would not even notice. This game is hardly broken just poorly optimized like many games. Time and money are better spent on future projects.

GHG

It seems that it has not been very good for him that the PS5 version is better.

He looked depressed in the DF direct having to talk about the Redfall situation and then the Ghostwire xbox port afterwards.

He bought their bullshit at launch and spent a disproportionate amount of time downplaying everything and anything regarding the PS5's specs. The last ~6 months have not been kind to his previous statements. As a "journalist" that's got to sting.

Topher

Gold Member

Taking Forever So Long GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Zathalus

It would only be not very good for him if the PS5 version was better then PC (it's not). He is only pointing out the facts here.

It's amusing how people continue persisting in painting him as this pro Xbox figure, when all he really cares about is PC.

Gamerguy84

I remember the Desthloop threads very well. There was even one that congratulated MS on the game and how it would help with publisher of the year award again.

It was said many times MS had nothing to do with the game they just wrote a check. The X fans were adamant it was a studio under MS and therefore they deserve all credit for the game being reviewed well.

Anyone wanna dig those up go ahead. I'm only here for entertainment as I have zero interest in this game.

Wow, that is rough. Even with a year it performs worse, has lower rez in quality mode and still has frame pacing/ shadow issues. Coming from a first party studio is disappointing.

Topher

Gold Member
It would only be not very good for him if the PS5 version was better then PC (it's not). He is only pointing out the facts here.

It's amusing how people continue persisting in painting him as this pro Xbox figure, when all he really cares about is PC.

I don't really get this either. The times I've seen him in these videos talk about consoles he has seemed very reasonable. Maybe I'm missed some stuff in the past?

Zathalus

I don't really get this either. The times I've seen him in these videos talk about consoles he has seemed very reasonable. Maybe I'm missed some stuff in the past?
Before the consoles came out he argued that the PS5 SSD and I/O wouldn't miraculously make graphics better and that the XSX would be the more powerful console. I mean he is mostly right on the former and can be forgiven for the latter, almost everyone thought that based on the specs as well.

I think he also doubted the consoles would offer ray tracing, but this was before the specs got released so he was just guessing.

I always find him to be shitting on consoles, be it Xbox or PS5. PS5 just gets mentioned more because doesn't it always?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For me it looks like one requires a VRR tv on all consoles :pie_eyeroll:
Should not be this way. Have not tried it tbh, I think I will one day.
Yep. This is what I was afraid of with Moses. Here have 10 bad modes. Oh and you will need vrr too. And no way of genuinely comparing modes without df since it’s quality, performance, rt… no idea what are the real differences.
Excuse me sir. This is console gaming. Fuck off with this crap. I am barely even tolerating 2 modes and vrr…

Anyway. I have the ps5 version and still intend to play it. Looks like a cool game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
He looked depressed in the DF direct having to talk about the Redfall situation and then the Ghostwire xbox port afterwards.

He bought their bullshit at launch and spent a disproportionate amount of time downplaying everything and anything regarding the PS5's specs. The last ~6 months have not been kind to his previous statements. As a "journalist" that's got to sting.
The guy is a wired mix of pcmr rt bs and Microsoft hype. I have no idea what is up with him. He makes great content lol

feynoob

Banned
Tango is under Microsoft management since what? 2020? How can you refuse to put any blame on them? Tango failed, yes. But it is still not their responsibility.
Tango is the one that made the game. They are the developers of the game. They have their hands on the game.
The blame is 100% on them.
Nobody wants that. But those in charge are the one that make those decisions. Here Tango could have been given more time or more help to do a good job. Do you believe that Microsoft did not know the state of the port before it was out?
Is 1 year that long?

Mate, that 1 year was the timed exclusive for PS. Tango had all the time they needed to fix the game and polish it more.

Look at cyberpunk2077 patch. CDPR worked their ass off to fix that game as fast as they can. Why can't tango do the same thing?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tango is the one that made the game. They are the developers of the game. They have their hands on the game.

Is 1 year that long?

Mate, that 1 year was the timed exclusive for PS. Tango had all the time they needed to fix the game and polish it more.

Look at cyberpunk2077 patch. CDPR worked their ass off to fix that game as fast as they can. Why can't tango do the same thing?
Dude. Xbox owns them.
It doesn’t matter they didn’t. My new employer is responsible for all shit I made years ago whe.man I still worked for old employer before he sold the company.
Who do you think gets warranty claims?

Microsoft owns them and the most powerful console. It’s all their responsibility together.
They ruined tango. Evil within 2 was incredible. They even ruined Arkane.

feynoob

Banned
Dude. Xbox owns them.
It doesn’t matter they didn’t. My new employer is responsible for all shit I made years ago whe.man I still worked for old employer before he sold the company.
Who do you think gets warranty claims?

Microsoft owns them and the most powerful console. It’s all their responsibility together.
They ruined tango. Evil within 2 was incredible. They even ruined Arkane.
Xbox owning them has nothing to do with this issue.
Was sony responsible for naughty dog last of us pc port? No. Same here with Xbox.

These studios who are making these games aren't bothering themselves to fix these issues.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Is 1 year that long?

IF they had full control of when they would be launching the port then yes you would be right. But I do not believe that to be the case.
Xbox owning them has nothing to do with this issue.
Was sony responsible for naughty dog last of us pc port? No. Same here with Xbox.

These studios who are making these games aren't bothering themselves to fix these issues.
If Sony wanted to, they could have ordered a delay to fix the port. They choose not to. So they have a part of responsibility in this. I think that the port has been made by Iron Galaxies. So Sony put trust in the wrong party and is partialy exonerated, but still is ultimately responsible. Do you consider GTA legacy edition Rockstar fault, or the small studio that had to do this huge undertaking with limited ressources and time? Same here. Microsoft is partially to blame at the minimum.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what what?
Arkane is trash now. Their last good game was Prey.
I've not played Ghostwire Tokyo but it at least seems in the style of Tango games. Evil within 2 was incredible.... but now their new game is an indie game that I have 0 interest into.

So yeah... Tango might not be ruined yet but Arkane is done

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

He speaks the facts that we are all sat here thinking. What is the point in being a first party studio, how do you not give your platform the most love it needs?

Bodes well for the Activision buy, I don't think Sony camp have anything to worry about.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
what what?
I've not played Ghostwire Tokyo but it at least seems in the style of Tango games. Evil within 2 was incredible.... but now their new game is an indie game that I have 0 interest into.

How did Microsoft ruin any of this? Tango's last game was Hi-Fi Rush and it's their most critically acclaimed title to date. There are also hints at a possible Evil Within sequel or at least another horror game.

Redfall was in development well before Microsoft acquired Arkane. What do they have to do with this?

feynoob

Banned
what what?

Xbox isnt responsible for arkane track history.

that was zenimax. Zenimax management were pressuring their underperformed studios, before the sale.

skit_data

I wonder how it works with games like this, when there was a simultaneous PS5 and PC release… surely the Xbox version must be at least partly based on the PC version to some extent? After all, that should be one of the purposes behind a unified GDK.

geary

How did Microsoft ruin any of this? Tango's last game was Hi-Fi Rush and it's their most critically acclaimed title to date. There are also hints at a possible Evil Within sequel or at least another horror game.

Redfall was in development well before Microsoft acquired Arkane. What do they have to do with this?
Sony ruined Arkane by putting them to work on Deathloop

/s

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I guess it's on game pass for PC so just play it there if you can? Seems like it runs pretty badly everywhere, just worse on xbox....which is baffling considering the studio is first party.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

He has no idea why? It's common sense to me. The game flopped big time on the PS5. It was never going to sell well on the xbox. Tango had HifiRush to ship and used all resources to get polished up instead of a game that was DoA on PS5 and would likely be the same on xbox.

They are not going to spend 1 year working on a dead game.

FrankWza

Mikami is gone now. Makes this a big wait and see.

oji-san

Banned
I'm playing the Series X version and while i'm quite happy overall, it looks good but unfortunately it has stuttering in all modes, i have settled for the HFR performance with v-sync on, it's not perfect but feels the smoothest and looks nice. Should have tested the PS5 version before... too late now i'm almost 30 hours in.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, id love me some MS bashing but absolving devs of blame is all too common among hardcore gamers who think devs can do no wrong and the big bad publisher is forcing them to release games in a buggy unfinished state.

The fact of the matter is that MS delayed Halo by a year. Forza, Redfall, and Starfield were all 2022 titles. They were all delayed by a year. Even ghostwire was initially announced as a 2021 title. Like what more does a publisher have to do? Sometimes the devs are the problem.

I saw that the Media Molecule co-founder and director of Dreams quit yesterday. This guy spent 10 years on one game that flopped. thats insane. sony bend had a thread about how they revealed their new logo last year after 3 years of dev time. 3 years to make a logo. Now should we blame Sony for this? If so, who gets the blame? Jimbo and Herman who took over 3 years ago? Maybe we blame the Bend troubles on them, but what about dreams which was in dev when kaz hirai was still CEO.

Sometimes, the devs just suck. Ghostwire didnt need to ship before the march fiscal year deadline like RE4 did. Redfall is shipping in May. Starfield god knows when. Maybe the problem is the dev teams are just awful.

FBeeEye

Banned
Dev owned by MS and released 1 year later. No excuse there.
It's a cheap and dirty port. That's a big excuse. No one in their right mind would greenlight a total revamp of a B title that won't recoup those costs. It is what it is. It's a port it and move on type of game.

Hi-fi rush was flawless, I forgive them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He has no idea why? It's common sense to me. The game flopped big time on the PS5. It was never going to sell well on the xbox. Tango had HifiRush to ship and used all resources to get polished up instead of a game that was DoA on PS5 and would likely be the same on xbox.

They are not going to spend 1 year working on a dead game.

While this is all facts, it's still a first party game and should be given the resources to get it up to scratch.

Top Bottom