• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 PS5 - 120Hz Patch - Four New Performance Modes Tested

JaksGhost

I meant with GT7.

Besides, does The Touryst output at 8K or is it just supersampled to 4K? Honestly have no idea.
The native output is a full 8K but since the PS5 didn't have it activated at the time, and even now, they downsampled it to 4K.
Shin'en tells us that when and if the platform holder makes good on the PS5 packaging's 8K promises (VRR first please, Sony), a simple patch should allow the game to output the 4320p framebuffer directly for a 1:1 pixel match on an 8K display.

Last edited:

onQ123

As above, can it actually output 8K or is it just supersampling? I don't have an 8K display so no idea. But I was talking about GT7 - I thought it would have been obvious enough, but I guess not.
Native 4K 100fps means that GT7 in 8K 30fps is in reach with optimization

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They can go as low as 48 (or 40) fps without it being very noticeable, so devs have a little more room to play. Without VRR, to keep it fixed 60fps and without stutters or screen tearing they have a stricter time window to get everything processed, so usually resolution takes a little dip. DRS could also be used, but GT engine does not seem to have that in so they fixed at a lower res.

But this is about the 120fps modes (from the summary above):

Frame Rate w/ VRR enabled runs teh game at 1440p with only minor drops from 120 in game play which VRR covers.

nowhat

You ignored the part about 6k 60fps
And you ignored my original point about native 8K... gawd. We're seriously going around circles here.

My original, like real point, was that the models are 8K. Which I still find to be bit excessive, but PD's gotta PD.

(I still maintain that they must literally fuck cars. Not that I'm judging.)

Last edited:

onQ123

And you ignored my original point about native 8K... gawd. We're seriously going around circles here.

My original, like real point, was that the models are 8K. Which I still find to be bit excessive, but PD's gotta PD.

(I still maintain that they must literally fuck cars. Not that I'm judging.)
Your original point came as a result of me saying they could demo 8k 30 fps with GT7

omegasc

But this is about the 120fps modes (from the summary above):
Were it not for VRR taking care of the drops, they would have to lower the resolution even more to fully lock it to 120fps. So in a way, it "allows" locking to that resolution and keep it buttery smooth. A more correct way to say it would be that VRR allows it to run at that resolution without screen tearing and/or noticeable stutters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Were it not for VRR taking care of the drops, they would have to lower the resolution even more to fully lock it to 120fps. So in a way, it "allows" locking to that resolution and keep it buttery smooth. A more correct way to say it would be that VRR allows it to run at that resolution without screen tearing and/or noticeable stutters.

I guess I read it as running the same (almost locked 120) with or without VRR, but at a higher resolution when VRR is enabled. Which doesn't make sense. But I guess it does drop more in VRR mode then. I haven't watched the video, just read the summary.

Mr Moose

That is a long way of saying PS5 can't do native 8K@60fps, let alone 120fps :)
Of course it can't do 8k 120, the max is 8k 60Hz/4k 120Hz with HDMI 2.1.
Edit: https://www.gtplanet.net/stunning-gran-turismo-8k-120fps-footage-revealed-at-industry-event/ Are you talking about this? This wasn't on a single PS4.
I guess I read it as running the same (almost locked 120) with or without VRR, but at a higher resolution when VRR is enabled. Which doesn't make sense. But I guess it does drop more in VRR mode then. I haven't watched the video, just read the summary.
It's pretty stable with VRR/framerate mode, but it is only 1440p and the AA has gone to shit, it's quite jaggy. The res mode with VRR is the best option IMO, its 2160p and the framerate is decent enough (normally way above 60).
GranTurismo720230330.jpg

8f2GranTurismo720230330.jpg

Last edited:

omegasc

120hz Resolution is lower in non-VRR mode to keep it at 120fps.
120hz Resolution + VRR mode is 4K but with a lower AA I guess, and framerate hovers around 100~110 in game, 50~100 in replays. VRR makes frame drops not noticeable, so it feels just as smooth as locked 120.

One thing that I think is not covered in the video is that input lag with steering wheels is lower in 120hz mode.

Tqaulity

Having tried all the modes for myself, I realize there are some more devils in the details that may not be apparent from looking at the description of this change:
  1. The 120hz Resolution mode v/VRR still losing a good amount of its visual impact despite running at native 4K. The 60hz mode simply looks better in terms of image quality, AA, lighting, and more.
  2. One big change here is that there is no option to run with replays with Ray Tracing enabled with any of the 120hz modes. To me, this is big as I much preferred the look of the 30fps + RT replays. With the 120hz mode, the replays definitely lost much of it's impact and I much prefer how it looks in the 60hz mode.
So for me, the ideal would be for the 120hz, resolution mode that still has an option for the RT enabled replays. But currently for me, I'll just stick with the native 4K/60fps + RT settings that is no slouch anyway (oh and the added VRR works for the 60hz mode as cleaning up the few drops that was there)

Having tried all the modes for myself, I realize there are some more devils in the details that may not be apparent from looking at the description of this change:
  1. The 120hz Resolution mode v/VRR still losing a good amount of its visual impact despite running at native 4K. The 60hz mode simply looks better in terms of image quality, AA, lighting, and more.
  2. One big change here is that there is no option to run with replays with Ray Tracing enabled with any of the 120hz modes. To me, this is big as I much preferred the look of the 30fps + RT replays. With the 120hz mode, the replays definitely lost much of it's impact and I much prefer how it looks in the 60hz mode.
So for me, the ideal would be for the 120hz, resolution mode that still has an option for the RT enabled replays. But currently for me, I'll just stick with the native 4K/60fps + RT settings that is no slouch anyway (oh and the added VRR works for the 60hz mode as cleaning up the few drops that was there)
I don't think the lightning is different at all. AA though, for real.

Bojji

The native output is a full 8K but since the PS5 didn't have it activated at the time, and even now, they downsampled it to 4K.

PS5 is limited to 32Gb/s on HDMI 2.1 port so 8k 60hz with HDR is not possible:

anqzu2h.png

That's probably the reason why 8k output is not an option on PS5, they fucked up HDMI chip. Without HDR 8k is (probably) possible:

KiGWFGy.png

Banned
isnt forza 30fps?

Forza Horizon WAS 30fps yes. Mostly due to the CPU burden in an open world racing game.
starting with the One X version of Horizon 4 they added 60fps options... (although Horizon 5 on One X only has a 30fps mode funnily enough)

Last edited:

Banned
Who would want to play a racing game @30fps?

30fps was the default for most open world racing games up until very recently.

all the NfS games were 30fps for example.

but even track based ones like Project Gotham Racing were 30fps

nowhat

I know. Was trying to make a joke about Forza. Should probably have included a smiley.

Senua

the first PGR was 60fps, then they downgraded!

Mahavastu

They might as well use GT7 to demo 8K 30fps because they clearly got room to play 👀
Probably more.
IMHO they are currently doing 4k native with 60fps fixed.

They do not yet use stuff like Dynamic resolution or FSR2 for upscaling. With applying both I assume they could reach a pretty impressive 8k/60 output.

Urban

We see a lot of those "uncapped framerate modes". Maybe its because the incoming PS5Pro? So they have a argument that the games run at a better framerate.

I don't understand why VRR would allow for higher resolution. Makes no sense.
Not sure but with VRR they can save some performance thanks to vsync off and display at higher framerate or resolution. Besides I think here they seem to use a lower quality AA in order to save ressources.
Native 4K 100fps means that GT7 in 8K 30fps is in reach with optimization
No it doesn't mean that at all. You don't know how hardware is being used and what are the bottlenecks in that game. I'd say PS5 bandwidth would be a big limiting factor at 8K.

Last edited:

Banned
I don't understand why VRR would allow for higher resolution. Makes no sense.

in the VRR mode the framerate doesn't need to be locked. they don't care if it drops a bit and so they lock the resolution to the target resolution and let the framerate drop.

with VRR off they do the exact opposite, they don't care if the resolution drops, but they want a mostly locked framerate because the user has no VRR active.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's pretty stable with VRR/framerate mode, but it is only 1440p and the AA has gone to shit, it's quite jaggy. The res mode with VRR is the best option IMO, its 2160p and the framerate is decent enough (normally way above 60).

Having played GT Sport on PS4 (1080p) the image quality was better but less sharp. GT7 should re-adapt the TAA in 120hz mode to more focus on sub-pixel aliasing and sacrifice some of the sharpness. That would resolve the issue going on GT Sport, which runs at a lower resolution and has better AA.

Last edited:

Woody337

I just want ray traced replays at 60 fps. the latest trailer was 60 fps with ray tracing and it said at the bottom "captured on PS5". It clearly wasnt.

Top Bottom