• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Halo Infinite Campaign Re-Reveal Analysis: A Big Improvement Over Last Year's Showing?

Concern

here they come let's go GIF by South Park

Get ready

ckaneo

The Halo team has it rough to be honest, have to target original Xbox One consoles, have split screen multiplayer that everyone ask for and will complain about but barely anyone uses, and maintain 60fps throughout. Throw that in with an open world campaign structure and this is about what you get. Cant think of many other games with all these target limitations.

Also this is more of my opinion but them trying to recreate classic halo design also makes all the objects, materials, and enemies look flat. That art style was made with system limitations of 2001. But of course if they changed it "Halo fans" would bitch endlessly

Last edited:

ARK1391

The Halo team has it rough to be honest, have to target original Xbox One consoles, have split screen multiplayer that everyone ask for and will complain about but barely anyone uses, and maintain 60fps throughout. Throw that in with an open world campaign structure and this is about what you get. Cant think of many other games with all these target limitations.
I definitely agree that their goals and target platforms don't line up well and it's incredibly difficult to meet those expectations. Open-world, 60fps, split-screen and cross play is insane.

But in my opinion, that's their fault....

Codes 208

The game does look kinda lifeless...

I remember seeing a trailer where there was a lot of fauna walking and running around.

Guess they had to cut it for budget and/or time reasons.
They didnt cut back because they didnt even make that initial trailer. Iirc, they had a third party company create a demo using assets in unreal so they could focus on the engine itself or some shit.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hard to feel bad for 343 for this when they overpromised with a false in engine trailer and under delivered. I think the game will be a good time, but not the show piece we might have expected from e3 2018 trailer. Maybe its time for devs and publishers to stop lying about how their games look. Downgrades wouldnt be an issue if they werent constantly overpromising at trade shows.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
they Come up with some genuine points here. Yes, they are scrutinising but that’s what they should be doing. I think it still looks great, but I do get some of their points. That png of sparks on the mongoose, is bad lol.

Hard to feel bad for 343 for this when they overpromised with a false in engine trailer and under delivered. I think the game will be a good time, but not the show piece we might have expected from e3 2018 trailer. Maybe its time for devs and publishers to stop lying about how their games look. Downgrades wouldnt be an issue if they werent constantly overpromising at trade shows.

We're here to have a meaningful discussion, think before you post another comment like this.

Topher

Gold Member
Took some notes. Hopefully I summarized accurately....

-Talk a bit about the open world, RPG skill tree and "resource management" aspects. "Grinding to level up". Alex says he is "worried" about the campaign because he wants more classic Halo level designs.
-Beach blonde dude is "cautiously optimistic". 343 only shown off one area. Wants to see more of other areas.
-Open world graphical ramifications. "Less artist driven game". Concern over night-day diminishing artistic aspects.
-More realistic looking than last year's reveal. Less "plastic" looking.
-No pop-in like previous version
-Better cloud rendering
-Improved lighting, especially reflective lighting on structures
-Characters in shadow are fully lit
-Some animations are 30fps
-Complains about sparks when ship falls on platform
-Missing ambient occlusion in areas
-Shadow-casting on foliage/trees is off
-No motion blur, depth of field
-Alex says this is a better showing than it was before, but still skeptical of campaign gameplay

Umbasaborne

Banned
We're here to have a meaningful discussion, think before you post another comment like this.
Whats wrong with my comment? Judging by the digital foundry video i wish the visual fidelity was a bit better. And i think this issue of unrealistic expectations could be remedied with less in engine trailers and vertical slices. I loved the mp beta, if your trying to imply that im a fan boy, despite my avatar im not. So please, explain to me how my comment was inflammatory? Also, are you a mod?

Whats wrong with my comment? Judging by the digital foundry video i wish the visual fidelity was a bit better. And i think this issue of unrealistic expectations could be remedied with less in engine trailers and vertical slices. I loved the mp beta, if your trying to imply that im a fan boy, despite my avatar im not. So please, explain to me how my comment was inflammatory? Also, are you a mod?

"explain to me how my comment was inflammatory?" - Notice how I didn't even need to explicitly qualify what you said? Confirms that you're well aware of what you're doing. It's annoying, contribute like you have some sense thats all.

Umbasaborne

Banned
"explain to me how my comment was inflammatory?" - Notice how I didn't even need to explicitly qualify what you said? Confirms that you're well aware of what you're doing. It's annoying, contribute like you have some sense thats all.
Im not “doing” anything. Im literally contributing to the discussion at hand which is about VISUAL FIDELITY!!!! Maybe stop being such an overly defensive baby and fuck off.

im not derailing the thread with this petty shit, blocking you now.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Dude. You set up the thread to be inflammatory by siding with comment #2.
If people were going to troll, let them before you assume. Focus on the positive comments if that’s all you want. This game is historical for being known for being delayed and given more time to develop for. It was “born” from a negative place and will always be that game. It was always going to be divisive.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Dude. You set up the thread to be inflammatory by siding with comment #2.
If people were going to troll, let them before you assume. Focus on the positive comments if that’s all you want. This game is historical for being known for being delayed and given more time to develop for. It was “born” from a negative place and will always be that game. It was always going to be divisive.
I really enjoyed what I played. And i do think the new footage is quite a large step up from what we saw last year. The year they spent certainly wasnt wasted. I think the expectations for visual fidelity though would not have been as astronomical if they didnt show that in engine trailer.

ARK1391

He asked a very valid question and you deflected. It seems more like you want to start a fight with him because of his avatar. Not because he did something wrong.

Pointing out that the CGI reveal trailer set unrealistic expectations and that devs need to stop using them to market games is a very valid statement that can spark a very meaningful discussion. You not liking that viewpoint doesn't make it wrong.

He asked a very valid question and you deflected. It seems more like you want to start a fight with him because of his avatar. Not because he did something wrong.

Pointing out that the CGI reveal trailer set unrealistic expectations and that devs need to stop using them to market games is a very valid statement that can spark a very meaningful discussion. You not liking that viewpoint doesn't make it wrong.

His Avatar ?

Pedro Motta

Took some notes. Hopefully I summarized accurately....

-Talk a bit about the open world, RPG skill tree and "resource management" aspects. "Grinding to level up". Alex says he is "worried" about the campaign because he wants more classic Halo level designs.
-Beach blonde dude is "cautiously optimistic". 343 only shown off one area. Wants to see more of other areas.
-Open world graphical ramifications. "Less artist driven game". Concern over night-day diminishing artistic aspects.
-More realistic looking than last year's reveal. Less "plastic" looking.
-No pop-in like previous version
-Better cloud rendering
-Improved lighting, especially reflective lighting on structures
-Characters in shadow are fully lit
-Some animations are 30fps
-Complains about sparks when ship falls on platform
-Missing ambient occlusion in areas
-Shadow-casting on foliage/trees is off
-No motion blur, depth of field
-Alex says this is a better showing than it was before, but still skeptical of campaign gameplay
All this graphics talk is boring, it's a cross gen open world targeting 60 fps, no wonder that graphics aren't top notch. Could be better, but then again Elden Ring is also last gen looking, does it make the game bad?

That last point tho is what I'm afraid it's going to sting like a motherfucker. The campaign gameplay looks nothing like a Halo tailored experience and I'm afraid the game will suffer a lot from it.
Also no co-op? djeez.

Fredrik

I think the expectations for visual fidelity though would not have been as astronomical if they didnt show that in engine trailer.
Yeah I agree on this, and even if it has been improved a lot it still doesn’t look close to that trailer going by what has been shown so far.

The gameplay looks solid though, looked great even last year imo, so as a game I think it’ll deliver but maybe not as a graphical show piece.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Biggest issues are things they will patch. The game is never going to be the showcase some people think it should be, but it looks damn fun to play.

That said, the fact that these issues are the same that other Halo games have had, tells me this is not really a new engine.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I really enjoyed what I played. And i do think the new footage is quite a large step up from what we saw last year. The year they spent certainly wasnt wasted. I think the expectations for visual fidelity though would not have been as astronomical if they didnt show that in engine trailer.
It looks way better. Me making that statement can be perceived as tongue in cheek or negative. Like I said, it was always going to be this way. It’s either going to be people satisfied with the improvements or people not satisfied overall.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Also this is more of my opinion but them trying to recreate classic halo design also makes all the objects, materials, and enemies look flat. That art style was made with system limitations of 2001. But of course if they changed it "Halo fans" would bitch endlessly
And the open world is with full day and night cycles
mbo0s6T.png

I am surprised at how many of these checkboxes they managed to tick for launch running at 4K 60 fps. The multiplayer and forge are their own full games.
I am happy with how much they achieved keeping the classic Halo art style. Don't care about the bitching from kingthhrash/led guy/crapgamer/mbg discord podcast gang. The game feels fun to play and looks pleasing. If they have to sacrifice some aspects of the game to look like Hellblade II does then they should not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom