• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: MultiVersus vs Super Smash Bros Ultimate - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Will probably make more money than Smash. The game is actually really good if you can overlook the awful monetization.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Will probably make more money than Smash. The game is actually really good if you can overlook the awful monetization.
Oh yeah, this is being hand crafted to be an E Sports staple. Should do great over time.

Duchess

What the hell? You can play as Arya Stark?!!!

"You named your sword?"

"A lot of people name their swords."

Visually this looks like it should be able to handle some sort of 1440p 120fps mode on SX and Ps5. Hopefully we get something like that in the future.
No the game won’t be uniform anymore fighting games have to have a consistent output

Synless

it doesn't matter what the game pushes.

what is happening is that the game has aspects in its graphics that in some rare cases overwhelm the GPU of the PS5.

it doesn't matter if it pushes any remarkable graphics features or not.

what could happen here is that some of the effects used, especially in the character select, are simply too demanding for the PS5.
why that is is not really important as both versions most likely use the exact same settings and everything displayed on screen is identical on both GPUs

whatever it is runs better on Series X 🤷

now maybe it is a rogue graphics setting like that weird auto optimisation setting used in the Xbox versions of Elden Ring (which was thankfully patched out recently) that tanked performance like crazy...

so that would be something you could point to to say you can't use the game as an example of which is the more powerful console.

if they both run the exact same settings tho, you can totally use it as an example, because like I said, it doesn't matter if a game looks demanding, it can be demanding for weird reason that aren't apparent at first.
could be there's something on that VS screen that leads to a shitload of overdraw (objects hidden behind the menu background, maybe placed there to compile shaders),
or could be that one or more effects used (DoF, transparencies etc.) are just a bit much while looking not really impressive
Its optimization issues, like I’ve been saying this whole time. No reason anything there should cause issues we are seeing here outside of that.

That is a hill I will die on.

GametimeUK

we will see if they improve performance down the line I guess
Even if the performance was improved over time on PS5, like you said both the consoles as it stands are running the same version with parity. If the game gets a general update not only could it bring PS5 up to Series X levels, but it could also in theory increase the overhead on the Series X version, but at that point we can't compare because it caps out at 60 so we wouldn't be able to see if the game got more overhead.

Last edited:

Banned
Even if the performance was improved over time on PS5, like you said both the consoles as it stands are running the same version with parity. If the game gets a general update not only could it bring PS5 up to Series X levels, but it could also in theory increase the overhead on the Series X version, but at that point we can't compare because it caps out at 60 so we wouldn't be able to see if the game got more overhead.

that's true of course, we can't tell how high the system could run unlocked

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's a beta.
Reaction GIF

93xfan

Banned
You can see that this is hardly a taxing game, since they are probably planning to release it on Switch / mobile in the future

I dont have a problem with the character models, but stages look soooo flat, lifeless and boring compared to Smash
Stages are terrible. Also, I’m normally for any digital foundry videos but this one…

Top Bottom