• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Pokémon Scarlet / Pokémon Violet - Incredibly Poor Visuals + Performance

jaysius

Banned
This is serious when DF is honest about a Nintendo Switch game, they're typically hyperbolic Switch fanbois with shit like "Luigi's Mansion looks like Pixar" and other bullshit.

The game has awful performance, but luckily it barely impacts gameplay as it's turn based.

This is the best Pokemon game ever. If they could fix performance, it'd be a GOTY contender.

I’d say vote with your wallet and don’t support shit like that but given the expected sales I would be better off using turpentine as mouthwash

Azurro

Banned
Well, people keep buying the yearly Pokemon game. This kind of releases will eventually hurt the brand though, but I wouldn't expect too much of an immediate impact. It won't be a big deal if the next game looks better than a PS Vita game.

Kumomeme

honestly aside performance issue, this is far from Cyberpunk situation.

sure those bugs and glitch video is circulating around online but i see lot of players including me havent encountered those hillarious glitch yet. there is player said that lot of issue on dock mode which is i dont know the depth over this claim.

it bit out blow of propotion and it is actually not severe as it make out to be. the glitch/bug issue ofcourse. while the performance definitely need more attention. particularly probably LoD issue in the game. there is uneven quality of distance model. some of it even on lower fps. there is no stable of shadow quality too. based on how BOTW perform, they should be able to fix this and this is not hardware issue.

aside all this, the game surpisingly better than expected. Pokemon game is in right direction and this is the formula that they can stick for future games. just less ugly/dumb pokemon design, less dumb gimmick and hopefully they learn alot from this first mainline open world Pokemon game development. it would be funny if next entry also plague same issue on launch LOL.

Last edited:
honestly aside performance issue, this is far from Cyberpunk situation.

sure those bugs and glitch video is circulating around online but i see lot of players including me havent encountered those hillarious glitch yet. there is player said that lot of issue on dock mode which is i dont know the depth over this claim.

it bit out blow of porpotion and it is actually not severe as it make out to be. the glitch/bug issue ofcourse. while the performance definitely need more attention. particularly probably LoD issue in the game. there is uneven quality of distance model. some of it even on lower fps. there is no stable of shadow quality too. based on how BOTW perform, they should be able to fix this and this is not hardware issue.

aside all this, the game surpisingly better than expected. Pokemon game is in right direction and this is the formula that they can stick for future games. just less ugly/dumb pokemon design, less dumb gimmick and hopefully they learn alot from this first mainline open world Pokemon game development. it would be funny if next entry also plague same issue on launch LOL.
I think the issue is that if they're not going to bother putting more money into more talent for better visuals, then they should unironically lean the other way and make it intentionally polygonal or 'fake' low res so it can at least look decent that way. Better yet they can even lean more into the N64 gen models and update them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe lean into the paper Mario style of 3D.

maxresdefault.jpg

They can choose plenty of other avenues to work within certain limitations, but instead of that we just receive something that's not only a full gen or two behind, it's just plainly ugly to look upon.

Kumomeme

I think the issue is that if they're not going to bother putting more money into more talent for better visuals, then they should unironically lean the other way and make it intentionally polygonal or 'fake' low res so it can at least look decent that way. Better yet they can even lean more into the N64 gen models and update them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe lean into the paper Mario style of 3D.

maxresdefault.jpg

They can choose plenty of other avenues to work within certain limitations, but instead of that we just receive something that's not only a full gen or two behind, it's just plainly ugly to look upon.
probably they can seek out the development tricks used by BOTW. those people use various trick to cover technical limitation and to ensure great performance and visuals.

hopefully infuture they can has proper development schedule so it wont clash for next Zelda game so they can borrow Monolith Soft expertise fully, like how BOTW received.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just don’t see how this happens. I know GF isn’t known for technical ability but this looks and runs worse than Arceus which came out 10 months ago.

fallingdove

...and yet, here's me with the popcorn, waiting for the Nintendefenders*) to tell us how "this is fine".

*) We've already established "green rats", and "blue squirrels" seem to be agreed upon after Ragnarök - what would be Nintendo's "spirit animal"? Red... what?
Red lemmings

Paasei

Such a shame this franchise is stuck with lazy developers. The potential is still, and will always be, massive. And yet it will sell millions every single time.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah that was my first reaction (that you were referencing Captain Toad, and by extension toadstool mushrooms) as well. In my defense, English is not my first language.

I'm quite liking "red lemmings", especially considering their behaviour in video games.

("fun" fact - lemmings in real life don't actually plunge to their death mindlessly, the thing was staged by Disney "documentarists")
Yes I think red lemmings fits perfectly.

Dr. Suchong

Is this developed by Gamefreak?
I'm out of the loop for Pokemon games but as an outsider looking in, it always seems to me Pokemon sequels and spinoff vary wildly in quality.

Saber

Gold Member
Is this developed by Gamefreak?
I'm out of the loop for Pokemon games but as an outsider looking in, it always seems to me Pokemon sequels and spinoff vary wildly in quality.

Indeed it is.
Which is a shame. I would love to see Bandai Nanco working on their main games for a change. Kinda impossible though, since GF owns a part of Pokemon.

Saber

Gold Member
My son is five years old and he wants to play a Pokémon game. Which should I get him. Probably not this one?

Theres videos of gameplay online about this game everywhere, no need to take the word of me or anybody else granted.
Though its a openworld and even though theres pointers in the map, your kid could possibly get lost wandering. I really suggest you to watch videos and take your own conclusions.

Top Bottom