• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star Wars Jedi Survivor - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Ambitious But Compromised

Draugoth

Gold Member

Respawn goes hell for leather in delivering a Star Wars Jedi console game worthy of full current-gen status, with stunning levels of ambition in terms of visual design, fully embracing ray tracing lighting and embellishing the game with lavish detail. Performance suffers as a result, meaning that the 30fps resolution mode gives more consistent results and better image quality. PS5 and Xbox Series X get the premium experience, so where does that leave Series S?

onQ123

Alright which one of the DF guys still lurking NeoGaf?
WFFCQET.jpg

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-w...ey-release-current-gen-pc-only-games.1656027/

(Joking I know it's a commonly used word but a day later seems fishy 😂)

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I mean they are not wrong. RT looks better but HW is weak still, especially consoles

RT seems to involve increasing returns, as in the effect gets proportionally more impressive the more demanding it is of the hardware.

At the level the consoles can do it, it's almost certainly not worth it imo. The only game I've seen that makes a reasonable contrary case is Metro Exodus.

DaGwaphics

I think the game looks good and I'll be sure to check it out on EA play. I'm not sure I'd say it is particularly ambitious visually, but maybe as you play more of it that is something that you notice more.

RT is great if you have the performance to spare but I don't think the consoles have that performance to spare at least not in this game.

I'm always going to prioritise at least 60fps so I'm really disappointed with the performance mode as it is horribly inconsistent. VRR is great but can't save your game when it is dropping into the 30s.

If you are happy with 30fps the game does look great to be fair but I'm glad I refunded it as I don't expect miracles here.

For anyone curious how I survived the PS4 gen the answer is I bought hardly any games on console and 99% on PC. The PS3 gen was obviously bad but I was rocking a 720p 32in LED with the response time of a ocean liner and brightness level similar to vantablack not a 65in OLED with near instant pixel response so judder was the least of my concerns back then.

Hunnybun

I think the game looks good and I'll be sure to check it out on EA play. I'm not sure I'd say it is particularly ambitious visually, but maybe as you play more of it that is something that you notice more.

To me it looks like a last gen game but with way more geometry and a better draw distance. The overall effect is "cross-gen-ish", roughly as impressive as GOW Ragnarok or RE4, say.

There's nothing there that really blows your socks off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All that laughing at the PS5 version in the other thread, and DF confirms that XSX performs the same with the same drops in heavy areas and similar resolutions.....

Let warring die for one goddamn game people and come together to call out the industry who is happy pitting the most passionate fanbases against each other while they ship last gen trash for $70. This is just a very poorly optimized game. The game fancies the highest end CPUs like the new 7800x3d and 6.3 Ghz Intel CPUs that run the game flawlessly even on 16 tflops 6800 and 17 tflops 3070. Clearly, the game favors higher clocks and doesnt do a good job multithreading.

The RT comparisons are infuriating. They barely make a difference even when zooming in and DF acts like they are comparing a victoria secret model to honey booboo. The non-RT mode even does a great job illuminating the halo around bright neon lights. In the open world, there is literally no difference in the GI. Turn that shit off. RT reflections use SSR anyway in most spots. This is so stupid. These guys are completely detached from reality.

llLh8LD.jpg
PDpDn97.jpg
xQmeOYG.jpg

Last edited:

Skifi28

The RT comparisons are infuriating. They barely make a difference even when zooming in and DF acts like they are comparing a victoria secret model to honey booboo. The non-RT mode even does a great job illuminating the halo around bright neon lights. In the open world, there is literally no difference in the GI. Turn that shit off. RT reflections use SSR anyway in most spots. This is so stupid. These guys are completely detached from reality.

llLh8LD.jpg
PDpDn97.jpg
xQmeOYG.jpg
You need to squint a little more. I'm sure there's a difference. Probably.

SlimySnake

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix Wrote this reply in the other thread before it was closed.

Have you seen what this game does on the PC with regard to its CPU utilization? On a 16-thread CPu only like 2 threads get hammered pushing like 80-90% utilization while all the other threads just sit at like 2-5%... and even the GPUsits at like 60% utilization times.
They are not just stupid, but they are incompetent. They are not bottlenecked by the CPU, they are bottlenecked by their incompetence.
lets call this what it is...

The game is indeed poorly optimized but its also accurate to suggest the game is bottlenecked by the CPU. Latest benchmarks of high end CPUs show that even mid end GPUs are able to run the game very well with those CPUs showcasing that the CPU is the bottleneck here. Once they are able to properly multithread the game, it should run better on consoles and on PCs.

SlimySnake

DF and other benchmarkers have done a very poor job benchmarking this game. I see them focus a lot on the first level which is a very brief 40 minute level while the second level is almost 10-15 hours of gameplay if you do all the open world quests. Ive explored only 40% of that world and i have 8 hours in the game.

There is an enemy base that is very detailed and has A LOT of enemies in that level that regularly dips below 40 fps. That should be the main benchmark level for this game. Running around the world on a chocobo should be another since that affects streaming and causes massive frame drops. These guys are covering the story dungeons which are very light on graphics, NPCs, enemies, etc. Of course they are locked at 30 fps.

I am not saying they should be running around large bodies of water trying to get the game to drop as much as they can, but traversal and doing open world missions in enemy camps should be what they are testing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
?

Aside from the animated billboard, they look identical. Same for every other area in the video.
D8pbGzT.jpg

1. Lower-quality billboard. More artifacts/shimmering. Blurrier font on the billboard.
  2. No grill on the XSX version. Lower LOD and/or draw distance issues.
  3. Missing shadows on the XSX version.
  4. Blurrier area, less defined edges, and lower-quality assets on XSX.
  5. Fewer details -- fewer scratches and less rust -- on the XSX version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
difference.png

Wouldn't surprise me if they have fucked up the RT for Xbox version, because they clearly suck.

Ah, that feels like an inconsequential difference. The bill board having a lower quality .png is more noticeable. But the texture-work and resolution seems to be the same between the two.

Would have loved to see them compare that second planet area that drops to 15 FPS in Quality mode on SX to see if its the same or better/worse.

Mr Moose

Yes, has a bunch of compromises but it is ray tracing. The hardware mode improves on it a bit though.
Density of detail, lod, animation, cloth physics, ML muscle deformation and instant loadings still the tech improvements that every next gen should be striving for.

Is lumen RT lighting? Because that looks great already.
Unreal 4 so not sure if it's Lumen.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yes sir. I said "aside from the animated billboard". The environmental textures look the same unless I'm missing something.

delos GIF by Westworld HBO
Yeah I missed you saying that. I also added something, I see others pointed it out.

Not trying to say anything about this analysis but while the game is a mess on all platforms...it's technically not more of the same between the 2 versions.

Hopefully the patch makes things better.

Three

God, DF's obsession with RT is fucking laughable.

"This area of reflected green neon is slightly more physically accurate!"

Yeah, REALLY worth dropping down to PS3 level IQ for THAT. Idiots.
This isn't PS3 level IQ. We have far better upscaling today. I do agree that RT should only be used where it makes sense though. Games where lighting is expected to be very dynamic. Otherwise just bake that shit, save electricity and gain performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hopefully the patch makes things better.

They need to have an RT on/off toggle for performance's sake and also possibly a 40hz option.

We know the PC version works without RT so it's not a case where the RT Is baked into the rendering engine ala Metro EE. No reason not to have it as optional, especially if it impact performance this much.

Top Bottom