• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Stray PS5 vs PS4/PC: A Superb 4K 60FPS Rendition on PS5 - But What’s Up With PC?

Mr Moose

I can understand what you're saying, sorry I got a bit rude. I don't overclock either. In fact I undervolt my gpu, although that didn't fix the loudness of my 3060 unfortunately.

I really can't say how much extra performance the 1050ti gets from overclocking but it is more than overclocking will get you nowadays.
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 3060 or a 6600 XT to replace my old ass 6870, lower power draw and better fps with the 6600 XT or better RT perf and DLSS with the 3060 :messenger_weary:

yamaci17

Every fucking DX12 or unreal 4 on PC is a shitshow. How come DF hasn’t had an interview with an MS or Epic top API or engine engineer to fucking lay it on the table that this situation is unacceptable?
no idea. all they do is bicker about it. we know that they're in contact with lots of devs. seems like they don't have the courage to bring the situation up to a epic/ms person

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a 3060 or a 6600 XT to replace my old ass 6870, lower power draw and better fps with the 6600 XT or better RT perf and DLSS with the 3060 :messenger_weary:
Hmm maybe wait for cheapest price on 3060? Wouldn't pay full price right as we go into 4xxx series. I guess if you waited this long, lol.

I just bought a 3080 12gb to replace this 3060 but it at least got a hefty price drop.. hopefully it drops even more then I can price adjust

Buggy Loop

Don't bite the hands that feed you.

1ae3252dce7426e50effebd4cca0e924.gif

DF has only a sole purpose, whipping the industry so we have better performances and visual quality. That’s it, they don’t serve any other purposes. They can’t even do it right outside of small devs.

Banned
no idea. all they do is bicker about it. we know that they're in contact with lots of devs. seems like they don't have the courage to bring the situation up to a epic/ms person

well they know what the issue is, every dev knowns what the issue is... and I bet Epic wild rather not talk about how shit games are that run on their engine on PC.

Epic also seem to not give a shit, just play Fortnite on PC, it's a shader stutter shitshow after every single patch. you have to play for about an hour to have most shaders compiled... with an emphasis on MOST, because you will come across skins you didn't see before that use yet again different shader permutations and will give you a stutter here and there.

so even Epic just throws shaders into their game without care, I don't expect smaller devs that merely license their engine to do better any time soon.
and in Unreal Engine that's not only an issue in DX12 either, even theor DX11 renderer has massive shader stutters

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1ae3252dce7426e50effebd4cca0e924.gif

DF has only a sole purpose, whipping the industry so we have better performances and visual quality. That’s it, they don’t serve any other purposes. They can’t even do it right outside of small devs.
The only thing they really whip up, are fanatics into a frenzy. Their engagement bread & butter.

yamaci17

well they know what the issue is, every dev knowns what the issue is... and I bet Epic wild rather not talk about how shit games are that run on their engine on PC.

Epic also seem to not give a shit, just play Fortnite on PC, it's a shader stutter shitshow after every single patch. you have to play for about an hour to have most shaders compiled... with an emphasis on MOST, because you will come across skins you didn't see before that use yet again different shader permutations and will give you a stutter here and there.

so even Epic just throws shaders into their game without care, I don't expect smaller devs that merely license their engine to do better any time soon.
and in Unreal Engine that's not only an issue in DX12 either, even theor DX11 renderer has massive shader stutters
does fortnite on android/apple also exhibit stutter? if not, its funny lol

Mindman

So how is the stutter on PC in motion? Something tells me that it's a non-issue even for people who notice stutter... or am I wrong?

I already knew that list. It confirmed what I said. Higher resolution games than 1440p are mostly DRS, and not that common , 1080p is the more common resolution with UE4. Now I don't count games less taxing.
There are more than a few 1600p games on that list.

Also, I didn't say this game could for sure run at 1600p, I said that or 1440

Stuart360

So how is the stutter on PC in motion? Something tells me that it's a non-issue even for people who notice stutter... or am I wrong?
It stutters every so often when the game is loading something, like a new area (lasts about 1-2 seconds). Most of the time its smooth.

I dont usually have these Unreal Engine and DX12 problems, but Stray def does have them. And its the worst i have played in recent times.

Lysandros

There is a post on beyond3d forums pointing to a somewhat softer IQ on PS4 compared PS4 PRO thus the possibility that the base machine is using reconstruction to reach 1080P. Needs verification of course, but 'if' that's true it would be another accuracy win for the 'eagle eyed' Tom...

Post in thread 'Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]' https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...cussion-2022-xbsx-s-ps5-pc.62679/post-2258481

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
There are more than a few 1600p games on that list.

Also, I didn't say this game could for sure run at 1600p, I said that or 1440
Define more than a few. Because native 1600p it wasn't absolutely a common resolution used on ps4 pro. What change if there are more than a few? A bit more? Then? Still my point stand. It's not a machine for higher resolution output than 1440p, not native at least. There are 4k games too on pro, but we already know most of the games with higher resolution than 1440p are limited in the scope and mostly scripted as walking simulators, racing or sport games in general.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
There is a post on beyond3d forums pointing to a somewhat softer IQ on PS4 compared PS4 PRO thus the possibility that the base machine is using reconstruction to reach 1080P. Needs verification of course, but 'if' that's true it would be another accuracy win for the 'eagle eyed' Tom...

Post in thread 'Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]' https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...cussion-2022-xbsx-s-ps5-pc.62679/post-2258481
What a surprise lol. The level of incompetence of this guy it's head to head to El analist del bit.
OT but just to have some laugh:

1800p vs 4k in standard mode for him. I can't pixels count the game but the difference in clarity between XSX and PS5 not seems absolutely that wide to my eyes or at least, maybe it uses some incredibly TAA or similar to compensate the difference in pixels on ps5, who knows but I would be quite shocked if the resolution found by him it's real. Outside it uses DRS perhaps.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Every fucking DX12 or unreal 4 on PC is a shitshow. How come DF hasn’t had an interview with an MS or Epic top API or engine engineer to fucking lay it on the table that this situation is unacceptable?
gears_of_war_3__marcus_fenix_by_myoume_d4b8vu2-350t.jpg

Its the devs.
Yes Unreal should probably have an engine level feature to do the compilation prior for smaller devs to utilize but really it should be devs actually doing the work.

Gears 5 and Gears Tactics have none of the common Unreal Engine issues....which is kinda surprising because The Coalitions branch of Unreal usually has its features moved to the main branch of Unreal within a few commits so im sure devs know how to get rid of the shader stuttering.

hlm666

Well i'm assuming trying to ask for an interview with an engineer at microsoft would result in them saying hey you can pre compile the shaders like forza horizon it's not a directx problem. Dictator has been asking questions when he can, politely though he's not rocking up saying omg you cunts are useless why can't you fix this. He's talked the the unreal dev over on beyond3d about it in the unreal engine 5 thread and has also asked unreal devs running an ask anything rendering q and a over on the unreal forums.

the kutse user is apparently dictator.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
What a surprise lol. The level of incompetence of this guy it's head to head to El analist del bit.

1800p vs 4k in standard mode for him. I can't pixels count the game but the difference in clarity between XSX and PS5 not seems absolutely that wide to my eyes or at least, maybe it uses some incredibly TAA or similar to compensate the difference in pixels on ps5, who knows but I would be quite shocked if the resolution found by him it's real. Outside it uses DRS perhaps.

Going to miss our resident self proclaimed tech expert. Some good laughs were had.

Banned

the channel's pixel counting was always solid (it's not that hard once you know how to do it), the only issue they ever had was that they used compressed video files for FPS analysis and got called out for it. now they improved their tech and they do pretty decent work.

Last edited:

Season 1 GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Lysandros

Well apparently the softer IQ in select sections on base PS4 is due to 720P-1080P dynamic resolution compared fixed 1080P on PRO, which Tom 'of course' missed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Something they seem to have completely missed, that they (well, John and Alex) usually comment on, is that even with the game running at 60fps a lot of animations (including the cat's running animation) update at what looks like 30fps. Some animations do update at 60 though, it's a weird mix. Just a small blemish on an otherwise beautiful game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
of course you didn't. We already know you never notice any pc gaming flaws.
We? Do you have more than 1 personality that see imaginary things in others posts ?
Devs choosing to fuck the game on PC =/= PC gaming problem, as pre compiling shaders is a thing.

edit: game runs in dx11 indeed. So no shader compilation issue.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

This game runs in DX11.
One can force DX12, using the flag -DX12. But there are some artifacts in this game.
The reason why this game has stutters is because of streaming and memory management.

Banned
Well apparently the softer IQ in select sections on base PS4 is due to 720P-1080P dynamic resolution compared fixed 1080P on PRO, which Tom 'of course' missed.

it also says that it sticks to 1080p usually outside of the intro level.
so after that part the base console should look almost identical to the Pro version

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
On consoles the hardware is fixed so things like shaders are pre-compiled and work 100% for every PS5/Xbox Series X/Series S, you get the idea. For the PC, driver version, GPU type and so on can all be different, and shaders have to be complied for every variable. Instead of doing that, most devs have the game compile on the fly, which caused a sudden stutter. Steam Deck has shown they can get around this as they have a static hardware set, so steam pre-loads the compiled shaders meant for that hardware. Result? No stuttering.

Its a massive problem, with no fix in sight on the desktop PC side, and all the stake holders are being completely quiet and ignoring the issue. You'd think this would be a top priority as it feels like every single new major release suffers from it.
It probably can't be fixed either that or they wont fix it because they'd rather you build your game on UE5 instead, and honestly its probably the ladder. Gold ol capitalism.

Banned
It probably can't be fixed either that or they wont fix it because they'd rather you build your game on UE5 instead, and honestly its probably the ladder. Gold ol capitalism.

UE5 has the exact same issue tho...

also it's not necessarily an issue with the engine, it's how developers use the engine.

Banned

yeah, I mean play Fortnite and you'll see the worst shader stutters ever known to man, even in DX11... and that's a UE5 game.
the stuttering is so bad, the first time I played it on my old PC I literally thought my GPU was broken, it is that bad. and the switch to Unreal Engine 5 didn't change anything 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom