• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Street Fighter 6 First Look: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PS4/Pro Demos Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Capcom transitions the Street Fighter franchise onto its excellent in-house RE Engine, so how does it look across consoles old and new? Tom checks out the recently released demo running on current and last-generation PlayStation consoles, plus there's a look at Xbox Series consoles too. Specs and performance may change with the final game - but this is how the game's shaping up via Capcom's own public-facing demo code.

Last edited:

adamsapple

TL-You know the rest.

- Tested the demo on all available consoles (PS4/Pro/PS5/Series S|X)
- "Bar of quality is so much higher" - when compared to SF5 in main character model details and arcade fights
- World tour mode has various technical shortcomings, including 10 FPS animations on distant enemies, pop-up etc. This is the same on all consoles

- Starting with PS console trio comparison
- PS4: 1080p, Pro: 1440p, PS5: 4K in both Res and Perf mode
- PS5 has additional DoF and higher texture resolution in comparison to PS4/Pro
- Ambient shading, floor textures, density and reflections are lower quality (SSR is missing) on PS4 compared to PS5
- SSR is re-engaged in world tour mode but texture quality etc is worse than PS5. It can take seconds for full textures to load

- Series S: Only one performance profile which runs at 1080p.
- SX: 4K in both modes like PS5.
- Series S more closer to PS4 Pro in terms of some rendering settings. Ryu's beard is also bugged in Series S. Series X, same as PS5.

- On PS5 | SX we have 2 modes, Res and Perf.
- Res modes is pretty much locked to 60 in regular arcade mode
- Perf mode doesn't change much in the arcade mode.
- However in the World Tour mode, the Resolution mode drops to 30 FPS in battles w/ bad frame pacing. Performance mode keeps 60 FPS but drops resolution to 1440p.
- The above is the same on both PS5 and SX

- Series S runs at native 1080p in all modes at 60 FPS barring one tutorial fight where it has some drops to mid 50s.

- PS4 / Pro have no toggles and world tour mode runs with unlocked frame rate while battles cap to 30 FPS.
- Arcade mode runs at 60 FPS on both without breaking any sweat.

- All machines have a "Low latency" toggle which disables V-Sync
- On PS5|SX it also targets 120hz. However, the game logic is still locked to 60hz. So it's a 60hz image in a 120hz container.
- At best it might offer a little improvement in controller response but it does not make the game run at 120hz.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Rock solid like we been saying outside Resolution mode in world tour on PS5/XSX and last gen(and the S hiccups like Ryu's beard). 120z definitely the mode to have if the screen tearing(mostly in cinematic moments) doesn't bother you.

adamsapple

Rock solid like we been saying outside Resolution mode in world tour on PS5/XSX and last gen(and the S hiccups like Ryu's beard). 120z definitely the mode to have if the screen tearing(mostly in cinematic moments) doesn't bother you.

VRRRRRRRRR!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
XSS is proving to be an absolute mistake. I can't imagine it getting support towards the end of the generation, which is going to leave the XSX in a similar boat as the Xbox One in just not receiving cross gen support with the next generation of games.

This has to be the last time any company does this.
Are you assuming XSS owners are shocked or even care the console isnt running at 2160p?
It runs the game just fine and XSS owners get to play the game.
XSSs second hand can be had for 150 bucks, and those owners still get to play nextgen games.
And without side by sides I highly doubt they give a shit about the graphic settings being lower than PS5/XSX.

EdGalTBR

Banned
XSS is proving to be an absolute mistake. I can't imagine it getting support towards the end of the generation, which is going to leave the XSX in a similar boat as the Xbox One in just not receiving cross gen support with the next generation of games.

What i believe:

- PS5 version is done.
- Xbox Series X needs three more months to get properly optimized.
- Xbox Series S needs another three more months to get properly optimized, if devs invest in it.

Also, Xbox Studios should be delivering the showcases for Xbox Series S. Xbox Studios are the mistake, not the Xbox Series S.

Last edited:
Are you assuming XSS owners are shocked or even care the console isnt running at 2160p?
XSSs second hand can be had for 150 bucks, and those owners still get to play nextgen games.
And without side by sides I highly doubt they give a shit about the graphic settings being lower than PS5/XSX.
You missed my point in that developers are going to drop support for this late in the generation and as a result also the XSX which impacts... checks notes... XSX owners.

Exactly the same reason why the Xbox One isn't getting a port of this and neither is the Xbox One X.

Black_Stride

You missed my point in that developers are going to drop support for this late in the generation and as a result also the XSX which impacts... checks notes... XSX owners.

Exactly the same reason why the Xbox One isn't getting a port of this and neither is the Xbox One X.
You think devs are gonna drop support for the entire Xbox Series family because of the XSS?

You are also assuming there is no Xbox One version because the vcr CANT run this at all?

Banned
I am actually surprised that they made sure that the Series S is 60fps in world tour mode.

I expected a 30fps lock in battles like on last gen.

if they iron out the bad texture behaviour on it it's a really decent port.

on PS5 and SX the game really should default to performance mode.
the engine supports dynamic resolution scaling, so I'm kinda baffled that they didn't just use a dynamic res in World Tour mode and just let the game target 60fps and let it adjust the resolution on the fly.

noone with even half a brain will set this game to resolution mode.

that low latency mode also better be an actually unlocked framerate in the final version. the fact that it clearly runs above 60fps yet the system only renders out at a locked 60fps is a fucking weird choice.
since neither console has an equivalent to Nvidia's FastSync or AMD's Enhanced Sync (I think that's what they call it) even a VRR screen will not get rid of that tearing.

Fbh

Weird that they couldn't get 4K/60 on the world tour mode given how terrible it looks.
But aside from that it seems pretty decent on all machines

How come Phil doesn't get raked over the coals for his decision to push the Series S so hard as well as his lies that it won't hold back the potential of the X?

Phil will never allow the S to not be supported as bad as that is. Seems about as big a blunder as anything Don Matrick did. I'm afraid Redfall wasn't enough to wake people up to the damage Phil is causing and that people have already gone back to the stage of denial.

When Xb1X released and people complained about it still being a 30 fps machine, his response was that gamers didn't want 60 fps (literally what he said). He's also pushing an initiative that all Microsoft multiplayer games have to have Cross Play set as the default setting and most games force it- no option to it off. That's a cardinal sin against Xbox players.

Phil is easily as bad as Don. I'm still seething after his interview because it reaffirms the fact that Series X will never be the console he said it was going to be back in 2020.

Black_Stride

Why is there no X1 version of SF6 or RE4R?
I dont know and neither do you.

But what I can say for sure is its not because the VCR cant run the game.
Base4 is doing it at 1080p.
Let the VCR do it at 900p or even less.
Tekken 7 was what 720p?

Last edited:

YCoCg

The 30fps cap being default seems like such a weird choice considering the graphics downgrade is hardly that noticeable on PS5/XSX, even worse that it's the default on PC too for no real reason, they should've just left the option out all together and just focused on improving the res at 60fps in World Tour.

Fake

No way PS4 is native 1080p. Is blurry as fuck on my base ps4. Probably some drs in action.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Most likely because it wouldn't sell, particularly in Japan.

No matter the engine, developers are currently weighing the value of dropping cross-gen to consolidate services and developer focus. Despite the install base of old consoles, old console users are not using those old consoles as often, so we have something like a 70/30 sales split of current-gen to past-gen. (This number is according to reports of the Horizon: FW launch sales. These figures are otherwise hard to come by in public reports, but in cancelations of past-gen versions of games originally planned to be cross-gen, they cite "focus" and other resource-management reasons why the old versions were dropped. Sometimes there's even still a Switch version planned, despite the PS4/X1 versions getting dropped.) When there aren't sales on a old platform, it's not worth supporting that platform, whether or not the engine can scale down to work on that hardware after some investment of resources. Not only would sales potentially be bad against investment of resources of development time, but you also have the costs of QA and also all the backend support of continuing to keep the version alive.

In Japan, however, PS5 has been struggling, and while PS4 is still carrying on. PS4 and PS5 sales of RE4 Remake have been close to parity, a little in PS4's favor even. That work is worth investing in for the Japanese game buyers, whereas an Xbox One version would have no territory where it'd be the preferred version.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What i believe:

- PS5 version is done.
- Xbox Series X needs three more months to get properly optimized.
- Xbox Series S needs another three more months to get properly optimized, if devs invest in it.

Also, Xbox Studios should be delivering the showcases for Xbox Series S. Xbox Studios are the mistake, not the Xbox Series S.

Is the series x version not on par with the ps5 version?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
TL-You know the rest.

- Tested the demo on all available consoles (PS4/Pro/PS5/Series S|X)
- "Bar of quality is so much higher" - when compared to SF5 in main character model details and arcade fights
- World tour mode has various technical shortcomings, including 10 FPS animations on distant enemies, pop-up etc. This is the same on all consoles

- Starting with PS console trio comparison
- PS4: 1080p, Pro: 1440p, PS5: 4K in both Res and Perf mode
- PS5 has additional DoF and higher texture resolution in comparison to PS4/Pro
- Ambient shading, floor textures, density and reflections are lower quality (SSR is missing) on PS4 compared to PS5
- SSR is re-engaged in world tour mode but texture quality etc is worse than PS5. It can take seconds for full textures to load

- Series S: Only one performance profile which runs at 1080p.
- SX: 4K in both modes like PS5.
- Series S more closer to PS4 Pro in terms of some rendering settings. Ryu's beard is also bugged in Series S. Series X, same as PS5.

- On PS5 | SX we have 2 modes, Res and Perf.
- Perf mode doesn't change much in the arcade mode.
- However in the World Tour mode, the Resolution mode drops to 30 FPS in battles w/ bad frame pacing. Performance mode keeps 60 FPS but drops resolution to 1440p.
- The above is the same on both PS5 and SX

- Series S runs at native 1080p in all modes at 60 FPS barring one tutorial fight where it has some drops to mid 50s.

- PS4 / Pro have no toggles and world tour mode runs with unlocked frame rate while battles cap to 30 FPS.
- Arcade mode runs at 60 FPS on both without breaking any sweat.

- All machines have a "Low latency" toggle which disables V-Sync
- On PS5|SX it also targets 120hz. However, the game logic is still locked to 60hz. So it's a 60hz image in a 120hz container.
- At best it might offer a little improvement in controller response but it does not make the game run at 120hz.
dj-khaled.gif

Most likely because it wouldn't sell, particularly in Japan.

No matter the engine, developers are currently weighing the value of dropping cross-gen to consolidate services and developer focus. Despite the install base of old consoles, old console users are not using those old consoles as often, so we have something like a 70/30 sales split of current-gen to past-gen. (This number is according to reports of the Horizon: FW launch sales. These figures are otherwise hard to come by in public reports, but in cancelations of past-gen versions of games originally planned to be cross-gen, they cite "focus" and other resource-management reasons why the old versions were dropped. Sometimes there's even still a Switch version planned, despite the PS4/X1 versions getting dropped.) When there aren't sales on a old platform, it's not worth supporting that platform, whether or not the engine can scale down to work on that hardware after some investment of resources. Not only would sales potentially be bad against investment of resources of development time, but you also have the costs of QA and also all the backend support of continuing to keep the version alive.

In Japan, however, PS5 has been struggling, and while PS4 is still carrying on. PS4 and PS5 sales of RE4 Remake have been close to parity, a little in PS4's favor even. That work is worth investing in for the Japanese game buyers, whereas an Xbox One version would have no territory where it'd be the preferred version.
The PS5 is struggling? It's outpacing the PS4 in Japan...

Crazy that Series S cannot seemingly run this locked 60 @ 1440p. If there's any game you'd expect it to live up to that early marketing promise on, it's a fighting game 😬

FWIW, anyone know what Samurai Showdown's resolution is at on Series S?

Is the series x version not on par with the ps5 version?

It's a competitive fighting game. No reason why the two versions shouldn't be on par with each other.

Although maybe there may be some slight differences in the finished game like slightly better textures here and there on Series X, or slightly better/more stable framerates in World Tour mode on PS5, just going off various other games. But, given it's a fighter, I doubt even those slight differences will show up.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think you are ignoring the fact that MS discontinued the Xbox One to make room for the XSS. The PS4 has not been officially discontinued at this point, unless I'm just forgetting that.

Plus, there is the obvious difference in install base sizes. Sales on previous gen systems always tank once the next-gen is launched, that just magnifies the difference. Even if 90% of PS4 owners have quit buying software on the platform that last 10% might still be worthwhile on the PS4, which might not be the case on the Xbox One (especially since the base model has the low-bandwidth memory/on chip memory configuration).

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Great parity between the Sx and the ps5 at least it won't be a console warrior fest here.I liked that in this game you are literally a street fighter.Who has never wanted to punch random folks in the streets here?

Unknown?

XSSs second hand can be had for 150 bucks, and those owners still get to play crossgen games.
Fixed

I think you are ignoring the fact that MS discontinued the Xbox One to make room for the XSS. The PS4 has not been officially discontinued at this point, unless I'm just forgetting that.

Plus, there is the obvious difference in install base sizes. Sales on previous gen systems always tank once the next-gen is launched, that just magnifies the difference. Even if 90% of PS4 owners have quit buying software on the platform that last 10% might still be worthwhile on the PS4, which might not be the case on the Xbox One (especially since the base model has the low-bandwidth memory/on chip memory configuration).

That doesn't change the fact that there is an established userbase. The PS4 wasn't discontinued officially, but it has effectively been discontinued. I don't even think Sony sells it from PlayStation Direct anymore unless it is with a bundle.

Banned
The PS4 version performs exceptionally well for an old console.
These are input lag results: You can't go wrong on any version. 120 Hz is the way to go.

Steam version can go as low as 2 frames of lag on Win 11 at 240 Hz. Which is pretty insane.

wait... it has ~83ms of latency at 60fps?
why are modern SF games so shit with input lag?
Warzone 2.0 on Series X has less than 50ms (~3 frames) of lag at 60hz and that's a battle royale with a massive map and 100+ players on the map...

I really don't get what's going on with some modern engines... like wtf?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Just tried the input lag feature, it looks way too Aweful with the screen tearing
How did you get screen tearing?
The game is still running at 60hz its just using a 120hz container.

Banned
How did you get screen tearing?
The game is still running at 60hz its just using a 120hz container.

it clearly runs at a framerate between 60 and 120, but only outputs 60fps.

with this setup you can't even use VRR to get rid of the tearing.

this is a super weird thing to do tbh, and they should just actually let the game display all the frames it renders instead of this nonsense

Black_Stride

it clearly runs at a framerate between 60 and 120, but only outputs 60fps.

with this setup you can't even use VRR to get rid of the tearing.

this is a super weird thing to do tbh, and they should just actually let the game display all the frames it renders instead of this nonsense
Its running unlocked and dumping frames?
Wouldnt the game logic then be out of sync.
For a fighting game that would break it.

Banned
Its running unlocked and dumping frames?
Wouldnt the game logic then be out of sync.
For a fighting game that would break it.

that's just a theory, because why would it tear with the low latency mode on otherwise? it's a locked 60fps in the normal mode, so I assume they just run it unlocked in the low latency mode, otherwise it would basically automatically vsync itself so to speak.

or it does something similar to Nvidia Reflex, where it runs the game at a lower framerate in order to free up GPU resources... but I'm not sure if that would do anything tbh in this case, because that, on PC, is meant to be used to limit your GPU pushing out as many frames as it can, because that would max out the GPU usage and maxed out GPU = latency.

in this case the game doesn't seem to actually push the GPUs of the consoles to their limits, so to me it makes less sense to reduce latency that way.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

- However in the World Tour mode, the Resolution mode drops to 30 FPS in battles w/ bad frame pacing.

confused gordon ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Last edited:
Top Bottom