• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Witcher 3 PC - Next-Gen - Game-Changing Visuals But What About Performance?

Draugoth

Gold Member

Alex Battaglia presents the DF tech review for The Witcher 3's next-gen upgrade, as running on PC. Running through the entire gamut of upgrades, including the game-changing ray tracing effects, the patch modernises The Witcher 3 with top-tier RT visuals. Unfortunately, there are substantial problems with performance that cannot be overlooked - and perhaps surprisingly, it's the CPU that is taxed the most. These problems are not addressed in the hotfix patch.

General improvements

- Geometry is greatly improved overall. In Novigrad, the cobblestone is now in 3D geometry instead of a flat texture

- Improved textures and materials all around and on NPCs

- Hero characters such as Geralt get more detailed shadows that were otherwise reserved only for cutscenes

- Individual torches now cast shadows

- Greatly improved grass and foliage density

- Improved draw distances

- Improved NPC density (also applies to creatures and animals)

- The intro's FMV in Kaear Moran is now real time and no longer locked to 30fps at console settings

- Improved mesh LOD. One of the most readily visible upgrades that is not RT.

Ray tracing (DX12 only)

- RTGI, shadows, reflections, and AO, are all there

- Dramatic improvement over the old version

- Bounce lights, diffused shadows, bodies of water reflecting the world around them

- NPC armors are no longer using cubemaps but ray tracing

- The hue of the game completely changes at times going from a blue/grey color to a warmer, yellowish/orange tone coming from the sun

- Foliage has proper shadows, giving them a much more grounded appearance

- RT shadows are sharper up close and softer at a distance as they should be. The level of sharpness is mostly the same all around in the original version

- Distance objects also have shadows

- Shadows have flickering issues at times

- Fidelity of the shadows can change based upon the camera and movement, distracting the presentation

- They appear in and out of existence but overall, it's not recommended to turn them on at the moment

- In a particular scene in the beginning, Geralt's hair isn't properly shaded being too dark

- Imperfect RT reflections. In some instances where the water is flowing, the reflections don't warp and remain still like in a mirror

- Not all objects render in the reflections. Trees and other objects pop in and out of the reflections based on the distance

- CDPR is working on fixing those issues with the reflections

- Even considering the issues, the improvements are great

Performance

- DX12 without RT and DX11 version appear identical

- Even without RT, the DX12 version is about 30% heavier on the CPU

- The DX12 version is heavily single-threaded. One or two threads show 70%+ usage while the others remain unused

- The frame rate gets so bad in Novigrad that the CPU performance drops even more than Flight Simulator

- The issue is lessened when in the wilderness. It's a major problem in populated areas

- The 12900K is unable to lock at 60fps with Ultra+settings and RT no matter what you do. It drops to the 40s at times

- The 3600 suffers worse, dropping to below 30fps in Novigrad

- RTGI alone drops the performance by 35% on a 12900K+RTX 4090

- The 3600 loses 37% of its performance with RTGI

- Other RT effects further drop performance incrementally with reflections having the greatest impact. About a 15% further drop from Ultra+ with RTGI

- CPU limits can be greatly reduced with DLSS3 frame generation

- Latency with frame generation goes from 56ms to 59ms but performance can more than double

- There are a few shader compilation issues. Nowhere near as bad as games like Callisto Protocol

- The camera is jittery and appears to stop and fast-forward at times during stutters

- Overall, great visual improvements but has major issues, especially in regards to performance

- The game still needs a lot of work

Last edited:
It's a shame the DX12 RT mode is so poor on anything that doesn't have DLSS 3 (and even then you have shader stutter) as it looks absolutely great. I can't imagine they will throw more resources at the old engine to improve CPU utilisation that much but fingers crossed I guess.

The console version is unplayable in RT mode (for me at least - so much input lag) and the DX11 version looks and runs so much better than the PS5 performance mode so I've been replaying it on PC.

The PS5 version drops to the 40s in Novigrad and possibly lower if you use Witcher sense while I can't get it to go lower than about 70fps on a 2070s. The FSR on console can look absolutely awful with some horrendous artifacting while IQ is decent on PC.

It's a shame CDPR are catching so much flak for a free upgrade but I guess the issues are obvious. I'm happy at least and maybe I'll finish my playthrough with RT and DLSS 3 when I upgrade in the new year.

Hugare

Play awesome on
My 7950x and 4090
The Office Reaction GIF

Feels like Alex didnt give them enough shit for the lack of optimization + bugs

Game looks absolutely awesome, but only 2 CPU threads being used is just absurd

DX 12 is a mess. Seems like every release on it has problems.

Hopefuly they will improve it, at least marginaly on PC and consoles

I'm eager to play it, but on PC I have huge framedrops in Novigrad and the RT version on PS5 is horrible to play

4A Games, Crytech, and now Epic with Lumen are the only developers who have mastered raytraced lighting and know how to keep it performant while maintaining acceptable quality.

I think Cyberpunk today runs pretty great considering what it's doing visually

And it uses way more Ray Tracing stuff than Metro or Crysis (GI, shadows, reflections and AO)

Not saying that Crytek or 4A Games implementation arent great, but Cyberpunk is no slouch

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
General improvements

- Geometry is greatly improved overall. In Novigrad, the cobblestone is now in 3D geometry instead of a flat texture

- Improved textures and materials all around and on NPCs

- Hero characters such as Geralt get more detailed shadows that were otherwise reserved only for cutscenes

- Individual torches now cast shadows

- Greatly improved grass and foliage density

- Improved draw distances

- Improved NPC density (also applies to creatures and animals)

- The intro's FMV in Kaear Moran is now real time and no longer locked to 30fps at console settings

- Improved mesh LOD. One of the most readily visible upgrades that is not RT.

Ray tracing (DX12 only)

- RTGI, shadows, reflections, and AO, are all there

- Dramatic improvement over the old version

- Bounce lights, diffused shadows, bodies of water reflecting the world around them

- NPC armors are no longer using cubemaps but ray tracing

- The hue of the game completely changes at times going from a blue/grey color to a warmer, yellowish/orange tone coming from the sun

- Foliage has proper shadows, giving them a much more grounded appearance

- RT shadows are sharper up close and softer at a distance as they should be. The level of sharpness is mostly the same all around in the original version

- Distance objects also have shadows

- Shadows have flickering issues at times

- Fidelity of the shadows can change based upon the camera and movement, distracting the presentation

- They appear in and out of existence but overall, it's not recommended to turn them on at the moment

- In a particular scene in the beginning, Geralt's hair isn't properly shaded being too dark

- Imperfect RT reflections. In some instances where the water is flowing, the reflections don't warp and remain still like in a mirror

- Not all objects render in the reflections. Trees and other objects pop in and out of the reflections based on the distance

- CDPR is working on fixing those issues with the reflections

- Even considering the issues, the improvements are great

Performance

- DX12 without RT and DX11 version appear identical

- Even without RT, the DX12 version is about 30% heavier on the CPU

- The DX12 version is heavily single-threaded. One or two threads show 70%+ usage while the others remain unused

- The frame rate gets so bad in Novigrad that the CPU performance drops even more than Flight Simulator

- The issue is lessened when in the wilderness. It's a major problem in populated areas

- The 12900K is unable to lock at 60fps with Ultra+settings and RT no matter what you do. It drops to the 40s at times

- The 3600 suffers worse, dropping to below 30fps in Novigrad

- RTGI alone drops the performance by 35% on a 12900K+RTX 4090

- The 3600 loses 37% of its performance with RTGI

- Other RT effects further drop performance incrementally with reflections having the greatest impact. About a 15% further drop from Ultra+ with RTGI

- CPU limits can be greatly reduced with DLSS3 frame generation

- Latency with frame generation goes from 56ms to 59ms but performance can more than double

- There are a few shader compilation issues. Nowhere near as bad as games like Callisto Protocol

- The camera is jittery and appears to stop and fast-forward at times during stutters

- Overall, great visual improvements but has major issues, especially in regards to performance

- The game still needs a lot of work

Denton

Brilliant update visually, but needs work on optimization when it comes to CPU. Plus precaching shaders, plus fixing incorrect RT reflections in Skellige and RT shadow pop-in.

Filben

The console version is unplayable in RT mode (for me at least - so much input lag)
I wouldn't say unplayable, like CP2077 was on base PS4 at release. However, frame pacing is abysmal with RT on. Even with micro stutter on PC you get there a smoother RT experience (given you have the hardware).

Performance mode seems to be solid in scenarios I've tested. RT, however, aren't stable 30fps. My TV's refresh rate is constantly changing, indicating small fluctuations, but big and bad enough to notice when paning the camera.

rofif

Banned
I am already here
az4Dt4B.png

17fps more than console on top of the top of the line pc. CPU limited .... because why? Not like NPCs are doing anything cpu intensive....

Also, there is memory leak, and it runs about 25-35fps for ma maxed out and drops to 8fps if I fast travel few times.
So yeah. Amazing update visually I guess?
TBH,. the non-RT ultra+ mode looks better than original game, especially with dlss

Alex11

I am already here
az4Dt4B.png

17fps more than console on top of the top of the line pc. CPU limited .... because why? Not like NPCs are doing anything cpu intensive....

Also, there is memory leak, and it runs about 25-35fps for ma maxed out and drops to 8fps if I fast travel few times.
TBH,. the non-RT ultra+ mode looks better than original game, especially with dlss

Well, wouldn't normally be higher than 17 if it was at console settings equivalent?
I don't know about the non RT ultra+ vs original, it's missing the HBAO+ and the AA is worse, at least for me, as I can't use dx12 version and I'm limited to 1080p. Without AA it's just plain horror, and TAAU is a bit blurry, especially when raining as the particles are very faded.

rofif

Banned
Well, wouldn't normally be higher than 17 if it was at console settings equivalent?
I don't know about the non RT ultra+ vs original, it's missing the HBAO+ and the AA is worse, at least for me, as I can't use dx12 version and I'm limited to 1080p. Without AA it's just plain horror, and TAAU is a bit blurry, especially when raining as the particles are very faded.
Console settings are worse ofcourse

Gaiff

Gold Member
It hammers 1-2 threads while the others are sitting still. The GPU usage in this section is at like 60%.

DanEON

Try using the in-game vsync. It solved this issue for me.

Zug

Well, the problem with this updates it that only seems to run with RT on a 4090. Even 3080s struggle with it.
5800x3D and 2070s : medium settings + DLSS perf + RT at 1080p = sub 30fps.
CP2077 runs at 50-60fps in 1440p with similar settings, so there's a big optimization problem.
As someone here pointed out, the game uses a very bad dx12-over-dx11 renderer which causes an awful lot of overhead, but it is not something easy to fix unless they can change the engine itself to include these advanced dx12 features (RT, DLSS...).
At least it was a free update, but still disapointing.

lukilladog

CDPR would not be of much help to nvidia if it ran well on "old" cards, this is what we get from putrid relationships like these.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Why is nvidia sponsoring someone that makes even their 4090 look this bad by not being able to run this game thanks to having shader compilation stutters?

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
So basically massively dissapointing as its unplayable for PC.
Nah, not at all. If you wanna play without RT it runs just fine and still looks far better than the original, though ray tracing performance is a kind of crazy expensive right now for sure. After the latest patch my performance has improved slightly and the microstutter has massively improved. All settings maxed, DLSS to performance, 1440p, I'm getting around 35 to 41 fps, which I'm not thrilled with but on a VRR monitor it's not untenable. Turn off RT and I sit consistently above 70 fps with DLSS on quality and all other settings maxed. I've a 9700k and an RTX 2080 for whatever that's worth.

Running it on a 4090. When it runs, it runs excellent maxed out.

But it crashes a lot. 6 times in the past 12 hours, 2 of those after a complete reinstall. I think ima just go finish the other pile of stuff im playing through and give this one like 3 or 4 patches. Put over 100 hours into it back when it originally launched on my Xbox(The save thing was pretty easy lol) so im not hard pressed to play it, really just wanna run around looking at stuff lol

Last edited:
I mean ofc 4090/80 users are going to cope cuz they got scammed by nvidia and have buyers remorse, but they'll never admit it. Glad an old game barely runs good on your scammed overpriced gpu my dudes.

FkbqqOSWAAEQaOS

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
I mean ofc 4090/80 users are going to cope cuz they got scammed by nvidia and have buyers remorse, but they'll never admit it. Glad an old game barely runs good on your scammed overpriced gpu my dudes.

FkbqqOSWAAEQaOS
If anything, those with lower end cards got shafted. The only way to play with all the bells and whistles and maintain a good performance is with frame generation.

those with lower end cards got shafted

Thats on CDPR, shame on them for yet again screwing consumers. This was clearly just a 4090 patch and no optimizations were done at all, on the contrary, it runs worse and shadows look worse on dx11 than before next-gen patch but thats fine.

CDPR with Nvidia

suck my dick wwe GIF

Last edited:

Alex11

Thats on CDPR, shame on them for yet again screwing consumers. This was clearly just a 4090 patch and no optimizations were done at all, on the contrary, it runs worse and shadows look worse on dx11 than before next-gen patch but thats fine.
Thought I was mistaken or done something wrong, glad (well not really glad) I'm not the only one that noticed that it runs worse than the original at the exact same settings on dx11.

Kenpachii

Nah, not at all. If you wanna play without RT it runs just fine and still looks far better than the original, though ray tracing performance is a kind of crazy expensive right now for sure. After the latest patch my performance has improved slightly and the microstutter has massively improved. All settings maxed, DLSS to performance, 1440p, I'm getting around 35 to 41 fps, which I'm not thrilled with but on a VRR monitor it's not untenable. Turn off RT and I sit consistently above 70 fps with DLSS on quality and all other settings maxed. I've a 9700k and an RTX 2080 for whatever that's worth.

HBAO got removed out of it, and modded already looked like that if not better and u still have to mod it anyway because of the weight limit and teleport from everywhere they didn't include into the base game as options, the game doesn't even support 21:9 displays its a joke.

So how exactly is this shit just fine? U want this shit for the RT and ultra+ settings, but it nukes performance from 140 fps old game without dlss to sub 30 with stutter everywhere with DLSS. It's a joke.

Its unplayable. Also lol at barely 30 fps framerates, imagine thinking thats playable, i got a 9900k and 3080 and with RT shit on and ultra+ it drops below the 30 fps even with DLSS performance. and DLSS performance is shit.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Looking at eurogamer's article, it looks like CDPR went with Nvidia's RTX tools once again, as if they didn't learn how much of a clusterfuck that resulted with Cyberpunk.

You know Nvidia's RTX (anti-)optimization tools have gone too far when even their 2000€ "consumer" GPU fails to provide decent framerates on a 7 year-old game that got the raytracing treatment.
Unless they're actually trying to wrap people's minds about buying the RTX 5090 for a modest 4000€, a year from now.

Considering how the Matrix demo looks on the measly PS5 / Series X at 4K30, just imagine what a 5x more powerful RTX 4090 should be able to do.
It's not "something that looks like Witcher 3 RTX", that much we should all agree on.

Top Bottom