Ahead of its full patch roll-out on 14th December we had a chance to visit CD Projekt Red's offices to try the new PS5 and Xbox Series X release of The Witcher 3. Today, its new ray tracing modes are tested, and the 60FPS mode is put through its paces too - with plenty of details on the upcoming PC upgrade included. Tom explores the opening White Orchard segment of the game - with plenty more to show when it releases in full.
The next-gen update doesn't transform The Witcher 3, but it does make returning to it a pleasurewww.eurogamer.net
- RT is 30 FPS, Performance is 60 FPS. Performance is 60 FPS. RT feels choppy compared to Performance.
- All modes include HD textures, better vegetation, weather, shadows, backdrops.
- Both modes use FSR 2.1 and is a big upgrade over previous AA methods.
- DF did not get a chance to test Series S. But they were told it includes a 60 FPS performance and 30 FPS Quality mode.
- RT mode: RTGI and RTAO
- PC also gets RT Reflections and shadows (not on consoles)
- Enabling RT mode on consoles improves SSR quality on consoles (Perf mode uses legacy SSR )
- Perf mode: No drops beyond one off in opening areas, but Novigrad did show a few drops
- New assets for Foliage, 4K Textures, new weather states, self shadowing on Geralt etc. These are present in both modes, but Performance also benefits from them. It's not just last gen version running at 60 FPS.
- Plenty of QoL updates as well along with the visual enhancements.
- All QoL updates and new content will also be patched into PS4/XBO/Switch versions, minus the new camera system which is exclusive to PC and new gen.