• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Witcher 3: PS5 vs Xbox Series X Hands-on - Ray Tracing + 60FPS Modes Tested

There are plenty of people who have never beaten this game. I'm someone who revisits even games I've beaten, so I love when developers are never done with a game and keep them fresh enough to make people who eventually want to backtrack one day feel like they're getting the very best version of the game for the latest hardware.

Tqaulity

Why bother with a console when you have a PC?
Sorry but I HATE when people make such a ignorant statement like this. The PC is not some singular uber powerful platform that always outperforms a console. How do you know that his PC is actually superior to a console? The PS5/Xbox Series consoles are still more powerful than nearly 90% of the PCs that people are actually playing on.

twilo99

Sorry but I HATE when people make such a ignorant statement like this. The PC is not some singular uber powerful platform that always outperforms a console. How do you know that his PC is actually superior to a console? The PS5/Xbox Series consoles are still more powerful than nearly 90% of the PCs that people are actually playing on.

That's what I was trying to find out, if the PC isn't good enough, then it makes sense.

BouncyFrag

Looking at the recent updates for Cyberpunk, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a performance-rt mode update in the future.

Kupfer

So is it confirmed that the texture rework is the mod that was already avaialable to everyone right?
The what?
TdMepob.jpg

Spying Latoya Jackson GIF

To be fair, there is a difference, but barely visible even with a 2x zoom, in motion this should be completely negligible

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
To be fair, there is a difference, but barely visible even with a 2x zoom, in motion this should be completely negligible

Lol, no. You just picked a random mug. Game looks substantialy better with The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project. Motion or not, zoom or not. It's a must have mod for years now.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Lol, no. You just picked a random mug. Game looks substantialy better with The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project. Motion or not, zoom or not. It's a must have mod for years now.

I have only taken a screenshot from a scene that comes from the DF video and which is explicitly meant to show the difference.

But well, the screenshots from your link will be more fair to the name "HD".

GymWolf

I have only taken a screenshot from a scene that comes from the DF video and which is explicitly meant to show the difference.

But well, the screenshots from your link will be more fair to the name "HD".
The difference is pretty high with the vanilla version, not demons souls ps3 to demons souls on ps5 tier of difference, but it make the game way more modern looking.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The average user would not notice the input lag and everything else listed. I swap between ps5 and my PC for warzone and don’t notice any difference on my Lg C1 besides the downgrade in quality.
And not stuttering too, right? As they don't notice 30fps stutters too.

And why should I care about what the average user notice? It's me playing the game, not the average user.

GymWolf

And not stuttering too, right? As they don't notice 30fps stutters too.

And why should I care about what the average user notice? It's me playing the game, not the average user.
Don't you know? If you can't feel framerate hiccups, it means that they don't exist for anyone else or at least gaf told me this.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The mental gymnastics from people trying to dismiss the PC versions are reaching new levels. Everything is doomed, even old games like The Witcher 3, because some few games have real time compilation stuttering.

Oh no, a couple of games out of thousands released this year had some issues. I better flush my PC down the toilet and buy Nintendo 64.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Exactly.
And even if you have uber pc, there are still issues and problems that are more notorious on pc especially at game launch. Elden Ring and Callisto had bad stutters for example.
On ps5, I just played the game

Filben

Why bother with a console when you have a PC?
- some PCs might have lower performance than PS5
- personal setup/environment might not allow to play PC games on TV if that's prefered by the user; 4k TV requires even more performance, broadly speaking
- high probability of lack of adaptive trigger support in the PC version
- other incompatibilities or technical inconcistencies that might appear on a highly individual basis on PC which does not happen on console (there are either issues and they get fixed, or they're not and they won't on PS5; that's four options on console, while on PC you have first to figure out if it's your system that's the problem).

Personally, as someone who plays 90% of his time and games on PC, I'm kind of torn, too. Graphical fidelity is better on PC, but often it's miniscule depending on scene and environment and how closely you look and know where to look. I fucking love the DualSense, though. For me it's more immersive. I find myself constantly switching between PC and PS5 when playing Control Ultimate Edition because the adaptive triggers feel so good to me, but the RT and performance of my PC is vastly superior to the PS5. But every option feels like I'm missing out and there's no clear winner. Might be clear for someone else, but as it is highly individually, it's not clear to me.

So is it confirmed that the texture rework is the mod that was already avaialable to everyone right?
From the footage that has been shown, it's sadly a no. Textures from that particular mod are really standing out and is often a night and day difference. Texture rework they've shown (e.g. in that DF video) is so subtle it's almost not worth being mentioned, at the very least it's better but nowhere near the work modders have done. They still have a few days and the footage might be even an earlier build.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
- some PCs might have lower performance than PS5
- personal setup/environment might not allow to play PC games on TV if that's prefered by the user; 4k TV requires even more performance, broadly speaking
- high probability of lack of adaptive trigger support in the PC version
- other incompatibilities or technical inconcistencies that might appear on a highly individual basis on PC which does not happen on console (there are either issues and they get fixed, or they're not and they won't on PS5; that's four options on console, while on PC you have first to figure out if it's your system that's the problem).

Personally, as someone who plays 90% of his time and games on PC, I'm kind of torn, too. Graphical fidelity is better on PC, but often it's miniscule depending on scene and environment and how closely you look and know where to look. I fucking love the DualSense, though. For me it's more immersive. I find myself constantly switching between PC and PS5 when playing Control Ultimate Edition because the adaptive triggers feel so good to me, but the RT and performance of my PC is vastly superior to the PS5. But every option feels like I'm missing out and there's no clear winner. Might be clear for someone else, but as it is highly individually, it's not clear to me.

From the footage that has been shown, it's sadly a no. Textures from that particular mod are really standing out and is often a night and day difference. Texture rework they've shown (e.g. in that DF video) is so subtle it's almost not worth being mentioned, at the very least it's better but nowhere near the work modders have done. They still have a few days and the footage might be even an earlier build.
Good points.
Not sure how much is thanks to ps5 but the DUalsense and 3d audio is great for example in Callisto.
Most of the atmosphere in this shitty game is 3d audio on headphones.
as for game, no crashes or slowdowns.

wow, the vegetation on that twitter video looks a generation better. And why are some dismissing the HD patch? from the mod guy

Filben

It’s certainly disappointing that Rt reflections aren’t in on consoles, I have a hard time believing they aren’t capable enough to do it on a game like Witcher 3.
Options would have been nice. However, the water still looks better with improved reflections overall than that liquid metal you have in the non next gen version, which only looks good on shores when it actually shows some translucency. So it's still an improvement :)

I have yet to see RT reflection on such a big body of water in a game, which would be interesting to see. Given that the majority plays on fields and in forests though I think it was wise to exclude that particular effect for performance gains.

Options would have been nice. However, the water still looks better with improved reflections overall than that liquid metal you have in the non next gen version, which only looks good on shores when it actually shows some translucency. So it's still an improvement :)

I have yet to see RT reflection on such a big body of water in a game, which would be interesting to see. Given that the majority plays on fields and in forests though I think it was wise to exclude that particular effect for performance gains.
i loved the OG water. it looked different enough to make me think of the game

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member

This is great to hear! These mods are pretty massive downloads individually (HDRP is 9.3GB compressed) so I'm expecting a pretty large patch size when this releases.

On a related note, this tweet is particularly helpful as I'm taking inventory of what mods I'm currently using so I can prepare for the update. Hopefully nothing breaks as my current setup has been 2 years in the making 🤞

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This is great to hear! These mods are pretty massive downloads individually (HDRP is 9.3GB compressed) so I'm expecting a pretty large patch size when this releases.

On a related note, this tweet is particularly helpful as I'm taking inventory of what mods I'm currently using so I can prepare for the update. Hopefully nothing breaks as my current setup has been 2 years in the making 🤞

I'm doing a complete fresh install. Will play the new "vanilla" for a while just to experience it and then I'll start modding.

Top Bottom